Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville General Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,707
    I don't know how common the torque converter is a problem but it does get mentioned along with a pressure control module. Was one of the shops a dealership? .

This message has been approved.

• I have a 97 Bonneville and the fuel gauge doesnt work, not a big deal, but a year or so ago i changed the fuel pump as it went bad. I used to be able to get about 330 miles out of a tank but now in the 240 - 260 range i start to stall out going around big turns or comming up to lights and stopping. The car always starts right back up but i usually go get gas and then onlt end up putting 13 - 15 gal of gas in it. Any help on what I can do or check to get to use all the gas in my tank?
  • My car doesn't always start when I turn the key. It makes a noise like the starter won't turn it over. It starts after a few trys but it happens more and more. I had a new starter put in in July 2007. Can it be something else besides the starter? How hard is it to install a starter?
  • sammz111sammz111 Posts: 2
    Hello

I just bought a 2000 pontiac bonneville

Just found out today that the cigarette lighter does not work and neither does the lights for the center console where you shift into drive as well as all the buttons where the ac/heat is.

Does anyone know if these are both fuse problems and if so where are they located and what kinds do i need

any help would be great I know nothing about cars

thanks, Sam
  • having issues with my bonneville running put a ocb code reader on the vehicle and the reader can not link with computer. checked on another car and reader works, any ideas?
    That may be the year that requires a special connector. The system is OBDII but the connector is OBD I or something like that...

Check your owner manual for fuse locations, under the hood in the box where the battery used to be and under the rear seat is a fuse/relay block close to the battery.

Best advice I can give you is to find the actual factory service manual from GM sold by Helminc.com. Be careful, lots of people pawn off manuals taht are not authentic or they sell one volume instead of the 2 or 3 in the actual group. They are sold on helminc.com and probably are around $135.

• Any idea what it would be called as the manual ddoes not state you need a special connector.
    edited October 2010
    >Any idea what it would be called as the manual ddoes not state you need a special connector.

Look here for info.
    Try searching for code readers that have the special adapter and are able otherwise to read the codes from the 1995s.
    Ask at advance auto., e.g,

• ahd this problem on my 97 sse awhile back 'ended up being a bad ground wire
  • any issues I should be aware of?
  • can u please tell me where the ground wires to the fuel pump is
  • amandajhamandajh Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Did you find a solution? Having the same problem! Thanks!!
  • My 99 Pontiac Bonneville check engine light was on, so I went to advanced and took the machine to read the codes and it was something about the emission problem. I cleared the codes and about a week later I needed to have it inspected, no engine light, but would not pass inspection, claims not ready. It has been a week and 140 mile later, could you give me some solutions I can try?
    Thanks.
  • One day the rear windows did not go down and very next day the passenger front door did the same thing......then the door locks would not unlock the doors on all passenger doors....what may i look for? i heard it might be something with the child safety fuse or something but i don't know what the fuse is labeled in the fuse block.......HELP!!!!!! its hot outside
    edited August 2011
    Have you had moisture in the car? Leaking sunroof? Leak in the trunk?

People have found the communication lines from the driver door module to the other three doors (and windows?) corrode at the connector beneath the driver seat. I think I have pictures somewhere. The lines are a tan or light brown. Pull back the carpet at the back of the driver seat. Look for moisture and for four wires crimped together.

One said to look in a plastic sleeve bundling wires under the driver's seat. Look for brown with white stripe wires. Follow to a corroded connector. They took the driver's seat out (which is four bolts and several connectors).

Before

After

• johnturnjohnturn Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    Do you have the lighted mirror option in the sunvisors? What happens is that the plastic hinge breaks on the sunvisor door, and the light switch shorts out, and blows the fuse for the interior lights. Either buy a whole new sun visor for about $100, or remove the sunvisor and disconnect the wiring harness for the light, and re-install the sunvisor with the wire disconnected. You need to pull the wire out of the headliner about 4 inches or so, to get to the connector. It's usually the drivers side, but could be either side or both. Took me a while to figure this one out on my 2003.
  • I am having this same issue now & got online to research & cross-examine what the auto technician told me today, when I found your blog as the first entry of my investigation. I just replaced the engine almost 1 yr ago with a used motor, but new manifold intake, so I find it hard to believe the plenum is shot. This is to run me apx $450 if I don't find a discrepancy in his claim. Ouch!