Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville General Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Jimpap and Jw4gm, I will have those items checked Monday.

Again, thanks
  • daled2daled2 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2002 in November, I have that same problem. Especially the rear windows. Must be some kind of design issure? The other problem I have, if it's a problem, is I get 15 mpg city. That seems like low mileage, do others get the same fuel economy as I getting?
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I got an '02 SLE and I get between 22 and 24MPG commuting and between 27 and 29MPG on the highway. It hasn't given me any beef, not having to take it in for service since I bought it 15 months and 16000mls. ago.

I did notice that the rear window defogger draws a considerable amount of current , as the voltage drops by about 1V when idling, but it remains at around 14V when cruising when it's on.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    is underpowered on these cars. It takes a long time compared to other cars I have had to do the job.
    If your city driving includes short trips with the engine warming up much of the time, you're lucky to get 15. My wife drives our Caravan 1 1/2 miles to school and I have seen our mileage as low as 11 for a car rated at 19.
  • I have a '98 bonneville with just 36K miles on it(warantee expired as car is now 4 1/2yrs old). I am original owner. Car has been great up to now. Just had to pay $1000 in repairs due to coolant leak from gaskets, waterpump, intake manifold. Including the intake manifold rotting from the inside. There were no symtoms until car had no heat. Immediately brought car to dealer for what I thought would be simply thermostat problem. car needed to have new waterpump, and new manifold. The worst part, is that the dealer says that some coolant may have gotten into combustion chamber and could cause damage to rings, bearings, cat covert. Needless to say I'm a little upset about this car requiring such repairs at 36K miles. Car has had proper maitenance including dealer oil change just 2 months ago. Has anyone had similar problems?? Does anyone have tips on how to deal with GM, re:1-800-PMCARES people? I already have a complaint in to see what expenses I can get reimbursed.
    No tips, just sympathy. Personally, I think this whole issue is a disgrace that GM needs to remedy, especially since the newer cars are starting to show up with the same problem. I just wish that GM people were lurking here and would respond.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,251
    Good luck Bill223. Let us know if GM steps up to the plate.

I had problem in 98 LeSabre 3800 at 70000 mi. GM told me warranty expired. Service manager said he'd seen a lot of these. Customer noService at GM plain rude and short. This to a 7 Buicks in-a-row owner, last two LeSabres. Had planned to buy Park Avenue next.

I did buy a 2003 3800 LeSabre -- discounts + wife wanting different car overcame reluctance due to GM's not supporting their flaws. I won't have GM card discount to cash in after this. I'll buy used from now on. If I'm going to have to pay for repair of flaws, at least I won't be paying new car price. 3 yr. 36000 is a joke as a warranty period.

Problem and handling so far by GM really has hurt their image in my eyes. I'm one of their younger LeSabre buyers--I plan to buy several more cars before I am too old to drive.

GM needs to wake up. A $250 credit toward a new car or parts or service at that time would have satisfied me. Now if they do ever cover it post facto, I want the full cost of the plenum and labor (I'll pay for the water pump at 74,000.)

Friend's Bonneville (98) had leak into engine. Stopped engine. Had lifter problem with noise right after that. I never did hear how much that cost them.
  • On a 96 bonneville SSEI, can I clean the throttle body or is this a mechanic only job. If I can, How?
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Remove the ducting from the throttle body, thin snap ring securing the fine mesh screen, then the screen. Be careful not to damage the screen. Block the throttle open or have someone hold it open. Liberally spray the throttle body bore and throttle plate with air intake cleaner (NOT carb cleaner), scrub with an old toothbrush, mop up with clean wipers or paper towels. The heaviest accumulation is usually on the backside of the throttle plate. Reassemble. It might run rough for a few seconds when restarted until the cleaner has passed through the engine. Done deal.
  • I have a 2002 SSEi that has had an annoying chassis vibration since new. I've checked out web posts and this does not appear to be unusual. The symptons are that the vibration can be felt through the steering, seat and floor at speeds above 100kph and is very noticeable at 115kph. It is intermittent, ie. gets more or less severe over relatively short distances, even in a straight line, but is always present. This particular vehicle has 17 inch wheels with Goodyear RS-A's.

The dealer initially rebalanced the tires... no difference. I asked for a road test with me in the car and the dealer agreed that I had a 'valid complaint'. After checking the front end and repositioning a suspected tire on the rim, the dealer concluded that all tires needed to be replaced. Same brand/model new screened tires were installed... same old vibration!

Before I get into round three with the dealer, has anyone been able to cure this apparently not uncommon problem? I already know about TSB 00-03-10-007A; however, the dealer may be reluctant to conduct such an exhaustive analysis. I'd like to cut to the chase!... if there is one.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    What kind of steps does TSB 00-03-10-007A
    go through? Could you or someone post a copy?

I've always found Michelins fixed vibration on
    H-bodies I've had that could be spin-balanced
    out. I put XH michelins on one. Another I put
    X-Ones on more recently. It had Generals OE
    that didn't roll round after 40K.
  • Been told this bulletin is the procedure and form for ordering screened tires on new Bonnevilles with 17" wheels and under 12,000 miles that may require them. If you dealer installed screen tires, they must have already followed it.
  • See J Milberg's post #515 for details.

The worksheet indicated 1/2 hour was spent looking at the front end.
  • rbentonrbenton Posts: 30
    GM went to a composite ie plastic intake manifold in 1996, when GM revised 3800 series engine into its current guise. I am not aware of any factory revision to the manifold. Also don't forget about the crappy plastic upper and lower intake gasket seals that also rot out and leak coolant into the engine and may cause total engine failure. Another trouble spot is the plastic egr value line made of plastic that goes the water passages and into the intake manifold this is another source of coolant leakage. All in all GM has really screwed the consumer with this nasty and growing set of problems with DexCool and plastic intake manifolds.
    Hope this helps.
    Is it better to use the original antifreeze types rather than DexCool? rbenton mentioned that DexCool has caused problems. What reason is there to replace DexCool with DexCool at 70K and up?

Does DexCool types cause more problems than original type antifreezes? Is it possible to flush and get all DexCool out and use earlier type antifreeze? Would it cause more or less trouble with seals and intake manifold water passages?
  • Well I've learned what everyone else has learned about GM and customer service on this coolant leak issue. Jean at GM customer relations has told me they would not reimburse me a dime on the $1,000 repair bill(the car only has 36k miles but is 4 1/2 yrs old). She states she has never heard of this problem before!! See should get on the internet sometime. I have heard there is a TSB on this problem. Is there? Does anyone have a TSB number or a copy of it?
    This all makes me just want to run down to the dealer and buy another GM product!! This bonneville was my first and is now my last GM product.
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    The TSB mentioned above (00-03-10-007) is now in revision C and it curiously has been changed drastically. No longer does it describe the long involved procedure for correcting the vibration problem, but only describes the ordering process for screened tires (as mentioned in an earlier post).

I too have had no luck with this same vibration problem on my 2000 SSEi. They replaced a "worn" tie-rod end, but no improvement. They balanced all four wheels (also did a road-force balance), and match-mounted a couple of them as well, but still no improvement. I would suspect the tires themselves, but from what I hear, new tires may not fix the problem either. The dealer has not offered to replace them...yet. They were pretty responsive at first trying to help me out, but now I think they are ignoring me and hoping I might go away quietly. Both the tech and service manager (who both test drove the car separately) kind of suggested that this is a design flaw that they cannot fix (without actually saying so much). One owner some time ago posted here that it was a problem with the hubs, that the stud runout was out of spec. I have twice asked the dealer to check this and they have so far refused to do what I think is a pretty easy check.

It's frustrating for an otherwise good car, but it seems that most cars these days have some sort of design flaws that plague their owners (not that that makes it right!).
    I had a hub on a GM card long ago that was out just under the tolerance amount. After 50K found
    it myself using a gauge and rotating the studs.

Sometimes vibration was there, sometimes not, on different days. Moving tires around made it lesser and greater. Very strange.
    To anyone thinking of adding oil to their supercharger, make sure you pack all around it with rags, paper towels or whatever. The bottle you buy at the dealer has no provisions for actually getting the oil into the little fill hole so you are just squirting it in the general direction and hoping most of it gets in.
    Per the owner's manual, check it when cold and add to the bottom of the fill hole.
  • Also, you may want to check it more often than the book says.
    Mine started getting a little louder (checking it when the book said), so I took it to the dealer for a check-up. They said the oil was scorched. They replaced the supercharger at 65k. The part is $2500, but with the extended warranty it cost me $50.00.
    I now have 76k on the car and that has been the only problem I have encountered. No rattles, shakes or anything.
    What a great car.
    2000 SSEi. Delivered 01-25-00
  • sonnyb3sonnyb3 Posts: 16
    I have a 96 Bonnevile Se and have tried to replace the drivers side side marker bulb with no success. I feel stupid since I have changed struts, clutches, valve covers, water pumps, fuel tanks, etc.. but cant figure out this bulb. DUH!!
    You cannot get it from underneath. I follow the owners manual directions; remove the two bolts on the inner side of the headlamp assemby and the assembly slides out. Wrong. It moved but there seems to be more inside and unreachable that needs to be removed. AM I missing something. Plese help if you have done this. Feel free to e-mail. Staron1@att.net
  • I own a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SE with 54000 miles on it . This past week I have developed a coolant leak somewhere on the drivers side of the car , under the throttle body. I cannot see exactly where the leak is coming from , and it seems to happen mostly the first time I run the car for the day . After that the leak seems to diminish. I have been told from a dealer that it is probably an intake manifold leak , either at the base of the plenum, or where the throttle body bolts up to the plenum/manifold. This looks like a major design flaw to me , and was wondering if there is anything going on , from GM to remedy this problem.Please send me an e-mail if anyone has had the same problem with this year or newer car.Thanks ,Bill
    Pturner1, you are absolutely correct. I waited until 28,000 to check and found it low. The dealer said they added several ounces but when I checked afterwards, it was still low and I added at least 2 more ounces. I'm hoping the internal seals aren't trashed and leaking oil into the body of the supercharger.
  • jeffbogjeffbog Posts: 63
    My wife's 2001 Grand Prix was just repaired. The leak was coming from the upper plenum on the intake. Never noticed until warming up the car one day. Coolant was left on the driveway. Was told that it leaks generally when cold. Due to the location, there was no oil contamination. Changed oil anyway. Car serviced at 28K. My 2001 Bonneville with 21K has the same problem. Need to get it in for warranty service. I definitely am concerned that this will happen again in 20K or so.
  • adf1adf1 Posts: 20
    mfahey1 & evandro - The right GM part #'s are as following:
    1. If you have the filter enclosure (most cars don't) then you need the whole "enchilada" and the # is 25669930. I got it @ GMPartsDirect for $38 including(!) shipping.
    2. If you have the enclosure (you see a black plastic frame inside, when you open the cover) then you need the filter only, # 25654414, ~$14 @ GMPartsDirect.
    I personally drive daily through an area with rather "unpleasent" smell. Since I installed that filter MY LIFE HAS CHANGED!
    Don't buy it at the dealership, they charge ~$34 for the filter only.....
    Thanks a bunch for the part #. Is it only me or do you also think that it's close to impossible to find something at http://gmpartsdirect.com without the part #? ;^)
  • I have a 2002 SE. I have been reading the horror stories on this board and others about the design flaw of the intake manifold being made out of plastic and eventually leaking and in some cases getting into the engine and causing major damage! Does the 02's inherent this problem? I would have never bought the car if thats whats in store.. You would think Pontiac would have taken care of this problem by now.. Concerned in NY
    I got my '02 SLE with just 17000mls back from the dealer yesterday fixing it. I'm also wondering whether this a fix for good or just for the next 17000mls... :^(

Does anybody know if the part # changed for the good part, if it exists? The part # of the replacement was 17113136.

I've also noticed that the gasket (part # 17113137) was not itemized in the replaced parts list. Shouldn't it have been? I asked the service guy and he told me that 17113136 is probably a kit that includes the gasket...

Does anybody have a TSB about this issue?

TIA
    What has people's experience with the battery life? I'm coming up on 3 years and am starting to wonder if I should replace it as a precaution. I should say that this is the best starting car I have ever owned. A touch of the key and it's running. The reason I have been thinking about it is that there is now electric everything on these cars and I would assume that has an effect on the life of the battery.
  • With the battery on the 2000+ Bonnevilles under the rear seat, they shouldn't be effected as much by cold and should have longer lifes in my mind.