Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Bonneville General Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    otinmootinmo Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 1999 Bonneville SE since 2000 and it has 125,000+/- miles on it. Recently when I turn the car to the right, sometimes it is hard to turn the steering wheel (like no power steering) Turning to the left it works fine all the time. It sometimes makes a strange noise when the steering wheel is turned to the right with the vehicle sitting still (like when the wheel is turned all the way right or left in a normal car). I need some help in determining which component is most likely the culprit! Suggestions and experiences of others will be appreciated........otinmo
  • Options
    gagecalmangagecalman Member Posts: 11
    I have a 1996 LeSabre with a Series 2 engine and 108k miles. When I start the car after it sits about 30 minutes it will backfire and blow off 2 large vacuum hoses at the throttle body. It happens about once a week but does not set engine check light. It did put something in history for MAP sensor bot the mechanic said that was because of backfire. It has not backfired when the engine was cold. When it was new the dealer did something because the 3800's were backfiring but I never had a problem. The car is well maintained. Complete tune up about one year ago(8000 miles) I've taken it to 2 shops but they were no help. One thing I noticed is that it starts right up when cold but tends to crank more when warm. Any help would be much appreciated. I am sorry to post here but the Buick site is dead.
  • Options
    henrylhenryl Member Posts: 15
    I have a 96 Bonnie SE. The tranny has been acting up. At 2000-2500rpm at any gear but morte so bettweeen 40-55mph Durring acceleration. It seems that the transmission is stuck it wont shift up it surges the onyl way to stop it is let off the gas or keepp going dowm till it stops. Could this be the TPS or the sensor that is in the transmission? Any Ideas :confuse:
  • Options
    jimperryjimperry Member Posts: 3
    Thanks alcan. You saved me a lot of grief on this one. None of the 5 mechanics I had listen to my engine could figure out where the screeching was coming from. I checked the PCV valve and there was no Oring sealing it. Hard to believe such a small problem could make such a loud noise. Installed an Oring and she purs like a kitten. Thanks again, jimperry
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    You're welcome. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
  • Options
    lmk3lmk3 Member Posts: 1
    I seen that you wrote this 3 years ago. Do you still have the Bonneville? I bought the exact same car USED when it was 4 years old. I have experienced the exact same things. Right now the engine dies when it downshifts quickly or when I accelerate to fast. Wish it was as cheap as a fuse, but I think that it will be a $1000 transmission.
    Consumer Reports rates that year of Bonneville the worst ever.
  • Options
    wer4wer4 Member Posts: 1
    Had the same problem in Nov 2004 ssei-02, waited 3 months for dealer to get part under warranty. Replaced steering shaft. Haven't had problems since. Had it lubed the year before (2003). It creaked and popped. the replacement fixed it.

The first dealer claimed it was loose strut mount brackets.
    But the second said it was the steering shaft. The steering is not real tight, it's like it was before didn't make any difference.
  • Options
    mbreen1mbreen1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1988 Bonneville SSE (3800 engine) that I have tried to keep in good condition since I bought it new. Recently the steering wheel remote radio controls have intermittently stopped functioning, then my radio began changing stations, scanning, and AM/FM by itself. Just the other day my climate control system suddenly goes on max heat no matter what I try to set it on. I don't know anything about electrical systems and am afraid to try anything on my own. Oh, and one more problem. I brought my "baby" with me when I moved to Holland (the country that is) in 1998 and it's not easy to find someone to work on my car.

I would appreciate any suggestions that I could try myself or at least give instructions to someone I trust with working on my car. I frequently travel back to the States so i can get parts if needed.

Thanks

Mike in Holland
  • Options
    sawtabsawtab Member Posts: 1
    My 1995 Bonneville has over 180k miles on it and has had very few problems. However, after getting the transmission fluid and coolant flushed a few months ago, I noticed that when I started the car, the engine made a louder sound than normal. It made me think that maybe an engine mount was loose somehow. About a week or so later, the check engine light came on. It's been on for about a month and I finally took it to get the codes read....341, 342, 530. Like deemo27, I was told the cam sensor needed replaced...at a cost of $500 parts + $500 labor. (Wasn't told much about 530.) After reading the string of posts and noting that I am having no stalling problems, I'm wondering if I need to look into just replacing the computer. What do I ask for specifically? About how much is it? How difficult is this to replace?
  • Options
    P0530 = A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction

For the P0341 and P0342 codes, the camshaft position sensor (CMP) sends a signal to the ignition module. The ignition module cleans up the signal and sends it to the powertrain control module (PCM). Simple to diagnose with a wiring schematic and a scope.

1. Visual check of the wiring harnesses between the CMP and ignition module, and between the module and PCM. Check for poor wiring connections, rubbed through insulation, wire broken inside insulation. Remove the ignition coils and inspect for any signs of carbon tracking, arcing to the module or it's wiring harness, cracks on the coil towers, or corrosion on the coil terminals
    2. Verify 5V input to the CMP.
    3. Verify output from the CMP signal wire. If not, the CMP is defective or the magnet has broken off the camshaft sprocket (common on high mileage engines). If ok, verify a signal into the ignition module. If no signal, check for an open circuit in the signal wire between the CMP and ignition module.
    4. If there's a signal into the module, check for a signal out. If not, replace the ignition module. If ok, check for a signal into the PCM.
    5. If no signal into the PCM, repair the open circuit in the signal wire between the module and the PCM. They like to break inside the insulation at the bulkhead high density connector.
    6. If there is a signal to the PCM, replace the PCM.4.

OR, Plan B:
    throw parts at it in the hope that you eventually hit the right one.
  • Options
    92bonny92bonny Member Posts: 6
    1992 Bonneville SE, 185,000 miles, runs great, Well at least it did.

I went to a mechanic because my car was, I guess you can say stuttering/shaking, when I tried to accelerate hard.
    For example, when I'm at a light waiting to turn left and a cars coming but you wanna turn quickly in from of it, i couldn't do that.
    If I accelerate slowly the car is fine, normal driving is fine, stopped is fine, just on that hard acceleration.
    So the mechanic puts it on the computer and says its a cylinder misfire, I think code 318 or 308, something like that, I don't recall exactly.
    Changed the plugs and wires, did the whole tune-up, still does it, not as much but still does it.
    What do I do?

But wait there's more.
    This past weekend I decided to wash the engine, I had done it many times before.
    Covered only the alternator, finished washing it and it started stuttering/shaking while on park. I figured something was wet and it would go away in a few minutes, this had happened before.
    It's been three days, shakes pretty bad, especially when I accelerate.
    Takes a while to pick up, but real bad shaking.
    What could I have gotten wet that bad? Could I have damaged something? :(
  • Options
    bernzybernzy Member Posts: 1
    I'll be driving along and all of a sudden the chimes start ringing and the engine has stopped running. I have had the fuel pressure regulator changed as a result of a callback and the problem still happens. It's occassional not steady. I also replaced the gas filter.

The car has 93,000 miles.

Has anyone experienced this?
  • Options
    Look for a crack or carbon tracking on one of the coil towers. You did use AC Delco plugs and wires, right?
  • Options
    Yes sir, always AC Delco parts.

But what's weird is what happened after I washed the engine.
    Only thing I covered was the alternator.
    You think I wet something else I wasn't suppose to wet.
    What could have gotten wet? or even damaged?
  • Options
    Coils, ignition module, or associated wiring connectors.
  • Options
    Chnged a coil, and problem fixed.
    Cars running smother than ever.
    Now only question I have is if I should change the other two coils or leave it as is with only one new coil?

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    deemo27deemo27 Member Posts: 9
    Please read all my posts on this site from about 3 months ago. You probably wont get any error codes unless you decide to change the computer. My guess would be it's 1 or all of the foolowing 3: the throttle position sensor(TPS), camshaft sensor, and or the crankshft sensor. Again, this is a guess, but a new computer and then the trouble codes would probably show you the specific problem.
    Again, read my posts since I cant rewrite my entire scenario again. My car has been running so perfect for about 600 miles now, I hope I dont jinx it:)
  • Options
    deemo27deemo27 Member Posts: 9
    Its not impossible that your tranny is actually ok. Many of these symptoms are results of bad sensors. Please read my posts also. I spent many hours and $ solving these issues. There is no guarantee of course, but updating the computer (replacing existing one with new one) may solve a lot of your headaches. You will get the trouble codes and can go from there. Hopefully you have a capable mechanic and can get a new computer relatively inexpensive. If you were in the NYC area, I could guide you to a few. READ MY POSTS.
  • Options
    You're welcome. No need to replace the other 2 colis providing they're operating properly. Make sure there are no carbon tracks or cracks on the towers, and no corrosion on the terminals. A small amount of dilectric silicone grease on the plug wire terminals helps.
  • Options
    chukwgnchukwgn Member Posts: 1
    how did you fix the dashboard power issue? I have the same car and continue to have intermit. problem with the driver information center blinking off and on as well as the compass doing the same.

ideas/ suggestions??

thanks
  • Options
    jim_acjim_ac Member Posts: 1
    Hello I’m new to the boards but not new to the Bonneville. Great car. I have something going on that I think I know the answer too but just wanted to throw it out there to see what you folks have to say. I have a 2003 model and the “Voltage Indicator” is varying more then it used to or should. It appears to drop the most when I am sitting in traffic, hence idling. It looks ok at speed and twice now all three “Break”, “ABS” and “Traction Control” indicators turned on while I was driving. They later went off when I stopped and restarted the vehicle. I guessing that the alternator is going bad causing a drop in the voltage when I am idling, thus causing the car to turn off systems that it “Detects” it does not enough power for. Do you guys agree? Or could it be my battery, voltage regulator or something else. Please respond if you have an Idea. Thanks
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    How old is the battery? Was the car built in 02? I'd certain have the battery out and up to a free check at a local auto parts store. Walmart checked it on the Jeep and said it was okay. They did that with a friend's battery and found it acted like it charged okay until the second stage. It was 7-year-old Chrysler battery!!!

But my GMs have failed even before 3 years on one LeSabre.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    ajbonneajbonne Member Posts: 1
    when i want to start the car, it will not start for approx. 2.5 minutes. It has like a waiting period before it will start. It does not always do it, but 90% of the time. When you drive and want to accelerate, it starts misfiring and shaking.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
  • Options
    alikalik Member Posts: 1
    When car is hot steering wheel turns hard when parking or maneuvering at slow speed. In the morning cold car steers OK at all speeds. Highway steering is always OK. Any info on what part of power steering may cause this is appreciated.
  • Options
    teviltevil Member Posts: 2
    heater and a/c won't come on or sometimes won't switch from heat to a/c. the guy I bought it from said there is a switch behind the glove compartment that needs replaced. Anyone know how to do this?
  • Options
    teviltevil Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention it is a 1997 Bonneville
  • Options
    tlwalton9771tlwalton9771 Member Posts: 1
    Please help! The abs and traction control light on the dash have started coming on and there is a horrible vibration in the brake pedal and loud grinding noise. My husband changed the master cylinder (thought that might be the problem), but it didn't fix the problem. What could it be?
  • Options
    Stop throwing parts at it. It will be a long, espensive time before you hit the right one. Take it to a shop which has an ABS capable scanner, have any stored diagnostic trouble codes retrieved, and post the codes. Will probably be a wheel speed sensor code, but could be a controller fault or an engine driveability concern.
  • Options
    christy66012christy66012 Member Posts: 1
    I have had a problem with my 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI from the date we bought new. When it sits for more than 2 days the vehicle has to be jump started. We have replaced the battery twice now. Is this a known problem?
  • Options
    FWIW
    Neighbor had trouble with GP supercharged 3800 from day one. Thought it was his radar detector draining batter if not started again with 6-8 hours after working night shift. Random drains. Nothing checked to show a drain.

Shadetree mechanic neighbor knows GMs and replaced the starter. No more problem. Something about the starter occasionally was draining it after parking.

If yours is every 2 days then you have something that could be found with a proper checking procedure pulling every fuse one at a time and checking the amp drain at the battery.

The first would be to check trunk, hood, glovebox bulbs after parked a while to see if they're warm to the touch like they've been on while car is parked.

• Options
    rlangleyrlangley Member Posts: 1
    We also have a 92 Bonneville. Several years ago the same thing happened. It was summer, and just started happening. Nobody could find the problem. One day, in the winter it would start, but continue misfiring from the time it started, then it wouldn't start at all. We found out it was the coil. We replaced it, & it ran better than when we first got it. We bought it used with 108,000 miles, in 1999. It now has 274,000 miles, & still runs great.

Several thousand coils were produced, & many used in new Bonnevilles, that had air bubbles in them. When the air bubbles get moisture in them the current does not go on a direct path, but finds an easer path through the water.
  • Options
    mysteryladymysterylady Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I just bought a '99 Bonneville SE with 59,000 miles on it. The small red security light on the top of the dash doesn't light. Also the System Monitor in the dash works except for the "door ajar" feature. I can live without this (I love this car!)
    However, I called a mechanic and he made a big deal about it and said that if I ever have to change my battery or my battery dies, my car will be unable to start and I will have a big repair bill. I called two Pontiac dealerships and they said they never heard of this. I just spent all my money on this car and will have to wait to take it in to check it out. I'm quite handy with cars, is there anything I can try myself?
  • Options
    Might be the door switch built into the door latch, or a broken wire in the harness between the door and the body. Do the interior lights and retained accessory power work properly?
  • Options
    mysteryladymysterylady Member Posts: 2
    Yes, everything works except the door ajar warning (none of the doors show "open" on the system monitor when ajar) and the little red blinking light on top of the dash never lights up. I'll try to look at the latch. :confuse:
  • Options
    gagecalmangagecalman Member Posts: 11
    I just wanted to update my original post. I checked the hose attached to the fuel pressure regulator because of a previous post for a different problem. When the engine was hot and there was fuel pressure, there was fuel in the vacuum hoses. I replaced the regulator and haven't had a backfire in about a month.
  • Options
    jprottjprott Member Posts: 1
    To #50,I had the same problem with crankshaft sensor,took awhile and 2 mechanics to find it out,my 93 bonneville would run great but when i stop and let it run idle then go it would die and not crank till dayz later,but anywho NOW im having problems with everytime i push the brakes i get a quick dimming of the lights and power,the wipers have never went fast,or anything else for that matter,could this be a ground issue,i put a new altenator and battery both on it,still did it,car runs great but im afraid imma get stuff oneday with my dimming problem,if anyone can help id love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :sick:
  • Options
    Check your postives and grounds from the battery to motor and grounds for corrosion inside the covered wires and at the contacts. There are other grounds next to the parking brake and next to the driver's and passenger's seats that get mentioned but you're not describing other symptoms.
    Email me at address in profile. I had a 93 LeSabre.

• Options
    79beans79beans Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I have a 2000 Bonneville SLE (I'm the second owner) and have some issues with it. If anyone has had the problems that I'm about to list I'd appreciate some advice. About 2 weeks ago the air bag light started coming on and chiming intermittently when driving, it did some seem to be related to acceleration or deceleration, it was just random. Then the security light started doing the same thing, now both warning lights chime and flash on and off while driving - quite unnerving while driving. In addition, sometimes the radio volume turns down spontaneously and the CD player shuts off AND the lights in the defrost/heat/AC module do not work sometimes. Oh yeah, and the keyless entry system does not work with either transmitter (its not the batteries, I've changed those, and they do not need synchornising) All of these can now happen in the same 10 minute drive. Needless to say the car is in the shop and I'm waiting to see how much the dealer will try to get out of me this time. I'm thinking that it is a system wide electrical problem that would have evolved to one day the car not starting at all or stalling on the highway.
    So, if anyone has opinions on my seemingly possessed' I'd be happy for any advice.
  • Options
    tg1080tg1080 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 92 bonneville SE with 180K miles and i have had a lot of problems. Most recently one problem that seems to amaze me is that i feel my car rock back and forth when slowing down or pushing on the brake (kinda like the brakes are going bad) but i have had the calipers replaced along with the rotors, pads, master cylinder, and all the lines. I have check and blead the brakes just to make sure there wasn't any air in the lines. It has ABS so Im not sure if the ABS sensor is going bad and making the brakes go crazy but i don't know what to do anymore. Does anyone have a clue or slightest idea what could be happening? :blush:

The second big problem Im having is when Im turning or using my front suspension (speed bumps or slightly raised curbs) i can hear a clunk noise in my car and feel it in the steering wheel and literally hear it with the windows down. I have had someone tell me to change my struts but i would like to have a little idea what could be wrong with this before i go and replace everything. Can anyone help me?
  • Options
    trevor6trevor6 Member Posts: 3
    I'm having a problem with my heater fan. in the winter when it starts getting cold out....the heater fan won't come on even when the switches are all on full blast.
    Once in a while, the heater fan will just come on automatically. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Another problem I'm having is with my signal lights. They blow a fuse the instant I put a new fuse in. So, I have no signal lights. I even make sure to put in the correct amp. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Options
    trevor6trevor6 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I was having problems with the electrical part of my '94 Bonneville. I went through many alternators, new batteries........and still, every once in a while my car would not start in the morning after leaving it sit for a night.

We took it into a shop, and they replace a "faulty alternator". That fixed the problem (or so we thought).

We found out that the antenna in the car could be what is draining the battery each night!! So we disconnected the antenna from the battery. (so that it just stays up permanently) and amazingly....No more dead battery. ;)
  • Options
    scscarsscscars Member Posts: 92
    The problem is most likely a short circuit in the blower motor. I had the same problem earlier this year on my '02 SLE. The fan went out during the winter months intermittently, but as warmer weather set in, the fan worked regularly. However, just after I returned from a road trip in August, the fan went out completely. My Pontiac dealership's mechanic identified the problem easily enough, but between the parts and labor, the bill came to about $400. :(

You may be able to do better with an independent mechanic or a Mr. Goodwrench with lower labor rates than what we have in Chicago. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    ngiguyngiguy Member Posts: 2
    Pedal goes to floor. Rebuilt MC installed by shop, system bled all around, still has soft pedal that goes to floor. Pumping brakes hardens it up, but pedal bleeds down quickly.
    I had previous problem with rusted lines, replaced both rear lines from break point under left rear passenger door. MC had run dry. Soft pedal problems started after that. What is function of two cylindrical items located in-line on each brake line, under left rear passenger area? Almost look like check valves? They were rusty on exterior but not interior.
  • Options
    Sounds like cup edges in master cylinder were damaged when it went dry and when it goes past the normal movement it had for years. It gets into rough areas that tear the seal edges, then you get bleeddown under pressure after that.

• Options
    jgtmiljgtmil Member Posts: 19
    Just bought a 1995 bonneville with 68k. has a couple of problems, the traction controll light stays on the switch seems to have no effect, and the radio controlls on the steering wheel do not work can someone help. Also can someone tell me if this overheating and warped intake effect the supercharged versions.
  • Options
    " the traction controll light stays on "

Check for any stored trouble codes first

"can someone tell me if this overheating and warped intake effect the supercharged versions"

No. There is no composite upper intake plenum, it's replaced by the supercharger.
  • Options
    ngiguyngiguy Member Posts: 2
    Sadly, I must have misled you on the timing. The first master cylinder (OEM) went bad in the manner I mentioned and went dry. The NEW master cylinder (probably aftermarket - I didn't check to see what the shop used, but the cost was not representative of new dealer stock) is doing the exact same thing as the old one did. The old one was also leaking between the MC and the booster, so an initial diagnosis was easy. This second MC is what's frustrating me.
    With my luck, it's a faulty rebuild. Thanks for responding, though.
  • Options
    chef5chef5 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 98 pontiac bonneville se and I am having the same exact problem you had. Did you ever find out what was causing this. Please let me know.
  • Options
    you may already have a fix, but if you have a the auto dim mirror ther is a piece of plastic that goes between the cieling and the mirror adapter. If not the what i did is cut a piece of 1/16-1/8 thick plastic and wedged it between the mirroe bracket and the glass...worked for me.
  • Options
    does anyone know the absolute temp range for a series II 3.8 S/C. My dealer says that 225 is acceptable but it appears that at idle this engine gets a little hotter than that. I replaced the thermostat with OEM 195 degree. and also made sure to relieve all air in cooling system to avoid vapor lock. also is there a fuse somewhere for the radio controlls on the steering wheel.