Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville General Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sonnyb3sonnyb3 Posts: 16
    I have a 96 Bonnevile Se and have tried to replace the drivers side side marker bulb with no success. I feel stupid since I have changed struts, clutches, valve covers, water pumps, fuel tanks, etc.. but cant figure out this bulb. DUH!!
    You cannot get it from underneath. I follow the owners manual directions; remove the two bolts on the inner side of the headlamp assemby and the assembly slides out. Wrong. It moved but there seems to be more inside and unreachable that needs to be removed. AM I missing something. Plese help if you have done this. Feel free to e-mail. Staron1@att.net
  • I own a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SE with 54000 miles on it . This past week I have developed a coolant leak somewhere on the drivers side of the car , under the throttle body. I cannot see exactly where the leak is coming from , and it seems to happen mostly the first time I run the car for the day . After that the leak seems to diminish. I have been told from a dealer that it is probably an intake manifold leak , either at the base of the plenum, or where the throttle body bolts up to the plenum/manifold. This looks like a major design flaw to me , and was wondering if there is anything going on , from GM to remedy this problem.Please send me an e-mail if anyone has had the same problem with this year or newer car.Thanks ,Bill
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    Pturner1, you are absolutely correct. I waited until 28,000 to check and found it low. The dealer said they added several ounces but when I checked afterwards, it was still low and I added at least 2 more ounces. I'm hoping the internal seals aren't trashed and leaking oil into the body of the supercharger.
  • jeffbogjeffbog Posts: 63
    My wife's 2001 Grand Prix was just repaired. The leak was coming from the upper plenum on the intake. Never noticed until warming up the car one day. Coolant was left on the driveway. Was told that it leaks generally when cold. Due to the location, there was no oil contamination. Changed oil anyway. Car serviced at 28K. My 2001 Bonneville with 21K has the same problem. Need to get it in for warranty service. I definitely am concerned that this will happen again in 20K or so.
  • adf1adf1 Posts: 20
    mfahey1 & evandro - The right GM part #'s are as following:
    1. If you have the filter enclosure (most cars don't) then you need the whole "enchilada" and the # is 25669930. I got it @ GMPartsDirect for $38 including(!) shipping.
    2. If you have the enclosure (you see a black plastic frame inside, when you open the cover) then you need the filter only, # 25654414, ~$14 @ GMPartsDirect.
    I personally drive daily through an area with rather "unpleasent" smell. Since I installed that filter MY LIFE HAS CHANGED!
    Don't buy it at the dealership, they charge ~$34 for the filter only.....
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Thanks a bunch for the part #. Is it only me or do you also think that it's close to impossible to find something at http://gmpartsdirect.com without the part #? ;^)
  • I have a 2002 SE. I have been reading the horror stories on this board and others about the design flaw of the intake manifold being made out of plastic and eventually leaking and in some cases getting into the engine and causing major damage! Does the 02's inherent this problem? I would have never bought the car if thats whats in store.. You would think Pontiac would have taken care of this problem by now.. Concerned in NY
    I got my '02 SLE with just 17000mls back from the dealer yesterday fixing it. I'm also wondering whether this a fix for good or just for the next 17000mls... :^(

Does anybody know if the part # changed for the good part, if it exists? The part # of the replacement was 17113136.

I've also noticed that the gasket (part # 17113137) was not itemized in the replaced parts list. Shouldn't it have been? I asked the service guy and he told me that 17113136 is probably a kit that includes the gasket...

Does anybody have a TSB about this issue?

TIA
    What has people's experience with the battery life? I'm coming up on 3 years and am starting to wonder if I should replace it as a precaution. I should say that this is the best starting car I have ever owned. A touch of the key and it's running. The reason I have been thinking about it is that there is now electric everything on these cars and I would assume that has an effect on the life of the battery.
  • With the battery on the 2000+ Bonnevilles under the rear seat, they shouldn't be effected as much by cold and should have longer lifes in my mind.
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    Regarding the supercharger oil: I was under the impression that the s/c was a sealed system and that it normally isn't necessary to add oil. If it was low, was it always low, or does that indicate a more serious problem? I have not checked mine yet.

If you e-mail GMPartsDirect with a specific part you are looking for (give them as much information about the vehicle and part as you can), they will look it up for you and e-mail you the part number. Worked for me.

I agree that since the battery is under the rear seat (and inside the passenger compartment) it may last longer. Heat kills batteries, and under the hood it is very hot. Most batteries these days should last five years, although down here in Florida it is often much less than that.
  • Good news for me , I discovered that the gasket between the manifold and the throttle body was bad. The gasket was 14 bucks and I fixed it myself last night. The only thing I am worried about is that the dealer said that entrapped air in my cooling system could damage the under side of the intake manifold. I bled all the air out of the top of the thermostat housing bleeder, and hope that this will be enough. At least it wasn't the whole manifold job. I will keep my fingers crossed as to when the hammer will fall on this part. Does anyone know of a surefire way to ensure that all of the air is out of the system.
    I hope this solves this one for me . It only took about an hour or so to repair. Thanks , Bill
    FWIW, the only TSB about this doesn't apply to the current engines. As you can see here, the TSB recommends replacing the lower intake manifold as well. However, the current engine has a different one that supposedly fixes the issue, as you can see here.

I did confirm with the service assistant that the upper manifold # 17113136 does include the gaskets between it and the lower manifold and between it and the throttle body.

What gives me the creeps is that, unless the original part was from a bad lot, just replacing the upper manifold doesn't address the issue... I was lucky that this time the coolant leaked outside the engine, for had it been inside we'd be talking about a potentially severe engine damage. :^(
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    The under-seat location does more than protect the battery from extreme temperatures, all that additional road crud, shocks/vibrations are dampened between the axles, etc. My Bonnie was built in May '00 so the battery is coming up on 3 years old, this is its 3rd winter - and it's been a brutally cold January here.

Heck, I saw -30°C (-22°F) on the Bonnie's thermometer for the first time ever just last week! Started first time like a charm. I wouldn't even think of replacing a battery that can handle that at 3 years. Perhaps before next winter though...

the (well-named) iceman
    That's all good to hear. I'll stop laying awake at nights wondering if my battery will croak at any moment. I did have the original on our older Caravan that gave absolutely no warning whatsoever. It died one day, graveyard dead, and you couldn't even start the car with a jump.
  • ohhawkohhawk Posts: 14
    Just had this problem repaired with mine as well....approx. $250. 2000 Bonneville SLE with 50,000 miles. Get it fixed quickly to avoid leakage internally. Ironically 2 days later I notice small noise in steering column when turning left at slow speeds. I've read about others with this problem and a tech bulletin has been issued on this. Inexpensive piece in steering shaft replaced and some lubrication....$140. These are the first items I've had to spend money on since purchasing the car new. Overall quite satisfied with the "new" Bonneville look and ride but I expect not to see the Service Dept. for quite awhile.
    Does anyone put anything on these as a preservative and if so, what do you recommend?
  • Finally replaced the plenum on my 98 Bonneville with 128,000 miles. I know the problem started a long time ago but for many reasons I just kept adding more Dex-Cool. A family member who teaches auto mechanics helped me do the job saving me alot of money. Depending on what mechanic you ask some say the Dex-cool is the real culprit with this problem others say the gasket material was insufficient for the job. The ironic part is that the Dex-cool does less harm to the engine if it gets in than regular anti freeze would. There was a large amount of sludge in the plenum and the next piece under it, so we had to remove and clean that also and replace the 3 gaskets for it. We did computer testing on the motor after the job and there doesn't appear to be any damage done to the motor from having the Dex-cool invasion. Bottom line for me on this issue is GM needs to get sore ears from complaints about this. The parts guy at the dealership we bought our kit from said they just received a shipment of about 60 units, and that they did 2-3 Plenum jobs a day. That's at one dealership!!!!! They need to admit the problem and step up to the plate and do a recall.
  • Dex-Cool can't be the problem because 1995 3.8s may suffer the degradation and Dex-Cool wasn't introduced until 1996. Its not gasket problem either because the gaskets do not leak on the manifolds with the degradation (95-98). (But the gasket can leak on a 2000-2001, although some dealers appear to be replacing the upper manifold also.) And you never hear of the problem in the Grand Prix which also used the 3800 Series II (I can't recall ever seeing a post in the Grand Prix threads here at Edmunds or the Grand Prix Sites). SO it appears that some combination of factors that occurs in some cars causes the failure. And as a non-safety issue it would be unlikly that a recall would ever happen.

But the $550 you spent for the two manifolds and the gasket will keep you car going for a long time hopefully.
  • john325john325 Posts: 237
    It seems like the one year you didn't include in your post was 1999. I have a '99 SE. Is this year also susceptible to the plenum problem? I have about 65k miles on it, w/ no problems so far. Crossing my fingers...

John B.