Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville General Maintenance and Repair

1666768697072»

Comments

• any issues I should be aware of?
  • can u please tell me where the ground wires to the fuel pump is
  • amandajhamandajh Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Did you find a solution? Having the same problem! Thanks!!
  • My 99 Pontiac Bonneville check engine light was on, so I went to advanced and took the machine to read the codes and it was something about the emission problem. I cleared the codes and about a week later I needed to have it inspected, no engine light, but would not pass inspection, claims not ready. It has been a week and 140 mile later, could you give me some solutions I can try?
    Thanks.
  • One day the rear windows did not go down and very next day the passenger front door did the same thing......then the door locks would not unlock the doors on all passenger doors....what may i look for? i heard it might be something with the child safety fuse or something but i don't know what the fuse is labeled in the fuse block.......HELP!!!!!! its hot outside
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,371
    edited August 2011
    Have you had moisture in the car? Leaking sunroof? Leak in the trunk?

People have found the communication lines from the driver door module to the other three doors (and windows?) corrode at the connector beneath the driver seat. I think I have pictures somewhere. The lines are a tan or light brown. Pull back the carpet at the back of the driver seat. Look for moisture and for four wires crimped together.

One said to look in a plastic sleeve bundling wires under the driver's seat. Look for brown with white stripe wires. Follow to a corroded connector. They took the driver's seat out (which is four bolts and several connectors).
    Before

After

• johnturnjohnturn Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    Do you have the lighted mirror option in the sunvisors? What happens is that the plastic hinge breaks on the sunvisor door, and the light switch shorts out, and blows the fuse for the interior lights. Either buy a whole new sun visor for about $100, or remove the sunvisor and disconnect the wiring harness for the light, and re-install the sunvisor with the wire disconnected. You need to pull the wire out of the headliner about 4 inches or so, to get to the connector. It's usually the drivers side, but could be either side or both. Took me a while to figure this one out on my 2003.
  • I am having this same issue now & got online to research & cross-examine what the auto technician told me today, when I found your blog as the first entry of my investigation. I just replaced the engine almost 1 yr ago with a used motor, but new manifold intake, so I find it hard to believe the plenum is shot. This is to run me apx $450 if I don't find a discrepancy in his claim. Ouch!
  • This is a common problem and the answer is found on this website:

http://www.autotechonwheels.com/2010/12/switching-it-up/
  • I had the same problem. Changed the crank sensor an...END of problem! Ken
  • My '96 Bonneville will start cold and run and drive fine but after it is warm it will start, then quit after 5 seconds. ??
  • diytosavediytosave Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    Ok this may sound dumb but. My wife drives this car and it run's fine while she is driving it but when I drive it the next day the batery is dead or so close to it that the engine will not even turn over .Now I have read threads about how to check for the power drain but it don't do it all the time so I don't know when or what to do. everything is factory, I feel that it has something to do with the way I drive or better yet how I park and get out and not linger in the car like she does. All I can say is HELP 3.8 k SSE no supercharger.

Now I worked on it last night and I put a test light between the Negitive cable and the battery and got a bright light, so I started pulling out fuse one by one and on the firewall there is a maxi fuse labeled horn, turn sig, and trunk when I pull it out the light went dim any help would be great!!!
    I haven't looked in my factory manual to see what all is on that maxifuse, but if it says trunk, I'd check my trunk light to see if it's been staying on. I would open the trunk lid quickly and feel the area around the light. If it's warm, that may mean the bulb is staying on. You can also just take the bulb out temporarily and see if you still get the drain through the fuse that you were testing.

I'll check what's on that circuit when I can get to my service manual.
    edited January 2013
    Thank you, what bugs my it seems to do it when I drive it I thought it was my key that has a resistor in it, and had something to do with the security system but the maxifuse I don't think has any thing to do with that so.
    I looked in my 98 manual and there isn't a maxifuse for horn, turn signal, and trunk.
  • OK , there are two banks of maxifuse's on the firewall, this fuse is in the right hand bank which is passenger side and it the fuse all the way two the left if I recall it may be one back from that. I can take a picture of it if that would help you help me?
    If I read my manual right, the right hand bank starts from the CENTER,
    PWR WDO/SR Circuit Breaker 30 amp
    HORNS/DR LKS/TRNK RLY, 60 amp
    SPARE, 60 AMP
    PCM/VATS, 20 AMP
    A/C, 30 AMP
    IGN SW, 60AMP
    SPARE, 40 AMP

Is the fuse you're looking at a 60 amp? Which is next to a 30 amp fuse on the end? That would be the Horns, Door locks, trunk relay.

Power from there goes to 3 fuses inside the car. So you canr emove those 3 one at at time to see if that cures your drain. You could also remove all 3 and see if your problem is gone, then put them back in one at a time and drive to see if your problem returns. The fuses are IP Junction block, #1 20 amp for door locks, #2 15 amp for RAC/trunk relay, and #3 for Horn 15 amp.

The RAC module appeared here on this fuse for the first time. I assume that means Retained Accessory Power. That's supposed to keep things like radio and interior lights on for about 10 minutes without the ignition on ON or ACC.
    edited January 2013
    Is the RAC module different than the BCM and can you tell about where it is

located? I am thinking thats it because my wife can drive the car three weeks

and nothing happens but the first time I do, the next day it dead so, she

lingers in it when she parking I don't and it may be related to the resister in

our Keys. also can you tell me how much the draw should be on the Battery

when the car is in sleep mode how many miliamps?