Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville General Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,682
    Does it restart?

If it restarts, I'd check grounds inside the car. There is one next to the emergency brake, one next to drivers seat between it and door and same on passenger side. In some cars those get corroded with moisture and whatever causing funny things to happen. But usually not including engine dying.

This message has been approved.

• You may have to adjust the latch,sometimes they get move down and they just latch too tight.Do you have to slam the hood to close it?If so try rasing the latch.
    If hood is ending up high, you could lower the two rubber supports on each side to take vertical tension off the hood latch. It's also possible the hood latch has a cable that's binding up. I'd check by taking cable off latch (if possible) and pulling to see if friction seems high. If so, try some graphite based oiling -- wouldn't use motor oil myself.

• I have a 96 bonneville running rough & showing codes p0135 & p1133. Any ideas?
  • Car stalls at stops or while in reverse or sometimes when idling after cold start. alot points to a crankshaft sensor i scanned it with rental scanner and no codes were visible or stored as the check engine light comes on intermittenly. one guy told me to pull the plug from the tranny ??? are these sensors hard to change for the back yard mech haha thanks curholl
  • first time user of this forumm not a reply to b mauzy on the 90 bonne stalling problem
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    P0135 = O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
    P1133 = O2 Sensor Insufficient Switching (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Might be a dead upstream O2 sensor on the front bank. Check first for the sensor wiring harness melted to the exhaust manifold, or a disconnected or dirty connector. If ok, check fuse #5 (20 amp). This also provides power for the EGR and cannister purge solenoids. If all's ok, probably a defective O2 sensor. Can be checked for operation with a scan tool.
  • I checked all the connections this afternoon but then my daughter had to go to work. I will check that fuse tomorrow.
  • Just the o2 sensor should make my teenage daughter happy for an hour or so. Thanks again.
    Yep, I read your reply on the other site where you'd posted the problem. I'm one of the site administrators there. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck on keeping the teenage daughter happy. LOL
  • jgtmiljgtmil Posts: 19
    The vents do not seem to be putting out as much air as they used to on my 95 bonnie. the blower motor sounds fine but it seems as if the air way is restricted. When I first start the vehicle the climate control blinks for a while but i don't know how to tell what that means. By the way this Forum has been very helpfull thanks to all who respond.
    Is it dual auto control air conditioning?

The blinking indicates an error from the programmer (control) unit down on the heater box. Something is not working and you'll have to have the codes read by a mechanic with a TechII that can see the codes for the things beyond the engine control computer.

A likely problem is the blend door for heat and cool air which is linked to the programmer by a rod at the bottom or the top door which controls passenger vs driver blending and is controlled by a small electric motor connected to the programmer box by tiny wires and a connector.

The first thing to do is determine if you have vacuum control. Does most of the air come out the defroster and a little at the heater outlet at the floor? That could mean no vacuum and would explain why you hear air but get little effect from it. Check for that first. Turn on unit without starting motor. See where air comes out at defroster and floor. Then start the motor and vacuum should be able to change where the air is directed. Usual problem is when set for mid dash vents air comes out defroster instead which floor choice will work--if the vacuum from engine is reaching the programmer.

Something I've run into numerous times is refrigerant leaking from the evaporator core, leaving a film of compressor oil on the core. Dust sticks to the core and eventually does a great job of blocking it completely, restricting airflow. Remove the blower motor and use an inspection mirror and flashlight to check the evaporator core. Should be reasonably clean. I've gotten passable results for some customers who weren't concerned about the AC not working by using a pressure washer to clean off the core, but the proper repair (obviously) is to replace it.
  • palaltpalalt Posts: 25
    Your Bonneville might not be running as hot as you think. I own a 93 SSEI that at full operating temp looks like it's running at about 225, the needle being just above the mark between 200 & 240. At that point, the secondary fan turns on and it cools off to what looks like 210, then the cycle begins again. If you connect a scanner to the diagnostic port, while the needle shows 225 the temp is actually only 208 which is about what they're supposed to run at. I would say the true temp from the sending unit is not being correctly reflected on your guage.

Also, to the guy that talked about his car not having vent circulation, I agree with the earlier response you received about the evaporator being clogged. I replaced mine for the very same reason and vent flow was vastly improved.

I'm a longtime Pontiac guy. Currently own a 93 SSEI, 95 SSE and an 02 SLE, so while not being a certified mechanic I'm pretty familiar with Bonneville problems. Now If I can only resolve the ABS & Traction Control lights that stay on in my 93 SSEI that spits out multiple codes, I'd be happy. I've replaced both rear wheel sensors to no avail. Would like to know if the pump or computer would be next logical step. Errors point to both.
    Which ABS codes are current?
  • jgtmiljgtmil Posts: 19
    Thanks for your responces i will give both of those a look.
    alcan! The ABS/Traction Control lights stay on solid and the codes I get are:
    033 R/R Missing 037 L/R Missing
    045 Inlet Valve 061 Pump Motor Run Fault

It was suggested I replace both rear wheel sensors first, which I did. No change, still get the lights as soon as the car is started. This is on my 93 SSEI.
    I have owned an SSEI for years and I think you'll find out that the 5% savings you will realize by buying regular instead of the recommended premium fuel will be more than lost in the loss of mileage. This says nothing about driving the car with the computer retarding the engine to compensate for the crap gas. I tried one tank full of regular and lost 3 mpg and it ran like crap. Buy the premium fuel and enjoy the supercharger.
  • I have read a lot of post about this, but not sure if it is the same as my problem. My climate control display on my 96 bonneville flashes once and a while. When this happens my heat will start to blow out cold air. The only solution i have found is to manually go back and forth with the temp guage from 60degrees to 90degrees, and usually after about 5 minutes of doing this, it will finally kick back on. Or sometimes if it does this, i will simply turn the car off, then back on and sometimes the heat will kick back on. Also on a long trip, i wont even have the heat on, but my cabin of the car gets super hot, almost to the point of unbearable. Heat seems to be comin out of the floor vents, but not in a fast manner. A few weeks ago my heat was working perfect, then i had to replace my battery, and once i put a new one in, that is when the heat startin acting up again. Anyone have any ideas. Could a ground wire be loose? I heard some talk about vacumn lines, does that have anything to do with it? if so where are these located? Can i just reach in and examine them. Any ideas would help greatly since i am a poor college kid who is really cold this winter!!:) Thanks
  • on my 96 bonny, whenever i hit the defrost button, the A/C light always comes on. Is this normal? I didnt think that the AC should come on when i am lookin to defrost. Anyone want to share what happens when you turn on your deforst. Thanks for the input!