Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius Navigation System Questions

Comments

• agdoc1agdoc1 Posts: 2
    I just finished a 1650 mile trip. A significant portion of that was in rainy darkness on roads which the GPS system selected rather than the ones I normally would have chosen.

I was not able to have the map display showing when it was rainy and dark because it only has a bright Daytime display. The instruction manual says it should automatically switch to Night mode when the headlights go on. It does not. The software says that if I want to have running lights on during the day I can select that option from a software button on the display screen. That button does not exist.

I called Toyota national help number while I was out of town but all the highest level help they could give was to say I read the manual correctly and they would forward a case number to my dealership for when I got home.; I got home and was told "come back tomorrow" as early as you can because this will take our highest level tech to sort out. So I have to get up at 7 AM Saturday and take my car in to see what happens.

Anyone else note the absence of a Nighttime Screen on version 7.1?

P.S. What is with the habit it has of making you go in circles? Some roads I have traveled for 50 years and it wants to divert blocks out of the way and back again when the highway signs through small downtown areas take you straight ahead and Always Have.
  • Do you have your instrument panel lights turned up to maximum?

That will cause the screen to remain in the daytime mode.
  • I accidently set my nav. screen to day mode, which is memorized in the system, I'm having a tough time getting back to nightmode. Does anyone one out there knows how to do that.
    Much appreciated.
  • agdoc1agdoc1 Posts: 2
    Day mode is can be set by having your headlights on and having the dash lights turned all the way up to maximum. It is intended for driving with the lights on in the day. If you turn your dashboard light intensity down it assumes you are driving at night and switches to night mode.

If you have the dash light thumbwheel turned all the way up and clicked into maximum it removes the "daylight mode" from your screen options when using the navigation controls.

That's the only problem.
  • Thanks, you're absolutely right.
  • Have you tried changing your area/region? Which state do you live in?

When you press the DEST (Destination) button, you'll see a United States map on the right with the label "Search Area". Make sure that your region is highlighted.

If not, touch the "Change" area on the screen. Touch the region you live in, one of "US1" through "US10" and "CAN". Touch the "OK" area and the Destination screen will display again.

Now, try looking for your home address.

I've had this problem when I first got my Prius. It's a little annoying compared to the more annoying "feature" where they decided we cannot operate the GPS while in motion (except through voice which has limited capabilities).

Note: If you are looking for areas beyond the region you are in, you would need to change it first as described above, then enter the address or POI again.

Cheers! ^_^
  • dwight5dwight5 Posts: 2
    How do I get this updated and how much does it cost?
  • dwight5dwight5 Posts: 2
    One of my keys has quit working. I think it needs a batter. Can that be changed and do I do that at the dealer or can I do it myself?
  • navguy1navguy1 Posts: 181
    Toyota just released the new V9.1 DVD map disc. I picked up mine for $199! I bought one 2 years ago for $265.

I also got the part numbers for all of the Prius years:

Toyota Part # Part # disc Year
    86271-GEN04-09 86271-33049 2004-2005
    86271-GEN05-09 86271-53024 2006-2009
    86271-GEN06-09 86271-73011 2010-2011
  • I can see where having the map change to a split screen automatically when you're not sure where you're going, but most of the time it's just annoying. Can this auto change behavior be disabled, how?
  • I just bought a Prius 2010 . the seller told me that it has the latest version of NAV DVD. It is v8.1. Has anyone never version of this?
  • The next Nav DVD normally comes out in November of each year. Every other year they update either the West Coast of the US or the East Coast of the US.

The next Nav DVD should have the latest data for the West Coast included... but currently 8.1 is the latest until the next one shows up.
  • I'm thinking about buying a simple GPS unit for my 2006 Prius, and am wondering if there are any battery/power drain issues that I should be concerned about. Also, any recommendations? I don't need one with lots of bells & whistles, but may consider one with hands-free cell phone capability.
  • Be careful where you get this. I saw on Ebay a seller but you have to know the version you have now and if you're buying the same or older one! If you do find another seller such as through EBAY will the disc sent be usable, scratches and all..??
    My wife and I have just bought a 2010 Prius with Nav system and all I can say is WOW and shame on Toyota for $300 on an update, what a RIP!!! What we are going to do at some point is get a Garmin and update for $70 per update!!! If you also look and I don't know if the deal is still good but Garmin had a $140.00 lifetime update which allowed you 4 per year for a lifetime!!!! I bought this for the other vehicle and the Garmin I use on it. Again I love Toyota but what a huge rip on the price for the update.
  • No battery drain issues, it doesn't draw enough to worry about. I've used one in my car/truck for years! For what it's worth I've talked to people about Tom Tom and others, I would get a Garmin, no troubles and the best unit according to reviews and my 4 years of experience with the unit and their support is stellar!!
  • Looking to upgrade Nav System - Night vision mode as in 08s etc. Any programs, or chips or is this not possible "unless you buy a new car" as the dealers say.
  • I have a 2009 Prius (which I purchased December 2008) with a .08.1 version navigation disc. I asked my local dealer about an update being available. He said there was (part # 86271GEN0509) and that the cast was $266.
    Questions:
    1 - Can it be purchased elsewhere for less? If so, where?
    2 - Where can I find what the actual updates are? Are there enough updates to make it worthwhile?
  • hihostevohihostevo Posts: 59
    edited February 2010
    When I discussed this issue with Toyota I was told that each half (west/east) of the United States is updated every other year. The 8.1 updated the Eastern US and supposedly the 9.1 version was supposed to update the Western US.

So depending on where you live it may or may not be a worthwhile update.

As to where to buy is a tough one... I was lucky enough to purchase a disc from a salvage yard where a new Toyota had been totaled. Several salvage yards sell discs on Ebay,but you have to know what you are looking for... which it appears you do.

You can also find people selling "burned" copies of the DVD... some of these work, some do not.

YMMV as always!!

Ps. If you are using any of the "short-cuts" that enable functions like being able to enter an address while the car is moving.... it is my understanding that upgrading to any disc newer than 5.1 disables these short-cuts.
  • does anyone know how to change out the map cd? I just recieved my update and now I just don't know how to get the old one out and the new one in. I know where the nav machine is.
  • I'd save your money!..call the toyota dealership here in Burlington washington and order it for delivery. I just bought the newest update for my 2005 prius for 199.00 plus tax. sounds like hiway robbery, no pun intended.