Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wheel bearing failure

1234568»

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,282
    160,000 on struts?! That's impressive. I replaced the struts on my '96 Outback at 155K and they were shot - I mean totally useless. 100,000 miles is about all you'd ever want to put on struts before performance will noticeably tank. As strut performance deteriorates, not only will the ride become harsher, but the amount of wear and tear on other suspension components (such as ball joints, bearings, tie rods) will increase proportionally.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,282
    Possibly, but as a rear wheel, I am surprised that you would only hear it when turning left. That wheel has the least amount of weight on it in that scenario. Were it the right wheel in a left turn, I can see it only manifesting at that time due to the combination of weight and force.

If you put the car up on a jack stand and cannot get any wiggle out of the wheel when you test for bearing wear, I doubt it is the source of your problem. It could also be a differential or rubbing problem. Usually when you get to the "growling" phase, the bearing is fairly far gone.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    "These assemblies are otherwise extremely easy to mount, total time being 30-40 min per corner. Fair cost is then $60-120 for the bearing hub [non-permissible content removed]'y and $50-80 for labor. Thus at less than $200 per corner it's difficult to countenance complaints of expensive repair requirements".

So says the subaruguru on this forum....best guess, you ARE getting a rip off quote.
  • Have road noise, suspect wheel bearing/s. Got 4 wheels off ground, no play, but one seems to have more drag. Bad bearing or is drag coming from elsewhere in the driveline>?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    If one is different than the rest, that pretty much points to that particular bearing.
  • jc29redjc29red Posts: 1
    i have 1998 subaru legacy outback.i love this car but after years of standard maintance.things have gone bad for her the last couple of years.3 exaust breaks.and now i beleive its losing the wheel bearings.called napa for bearings and seals 105 for front bearings and seals but have to take the front spindle off since there pressed in,broke three bolts off last year changieng brakes around it. has me a little leary of taking this on myself.but on the account not much money these days fraid im going to have to.any advice is helpfull need a puller to swperate the shaft and spindle any body know what size of jaw puller this is?
  • I just had the driver's side front and rear wheel bearings replaced on a 2005 Outback turbo. An ABS brake sensor was also replaced. The work was done by a "Subaru dealer" in the Seattle area. Total cost? $899.00. This is excessive. What can be done about it? Does Subaru America monitor this sort of thing?
  • Monitor? How do you mean?

I would have thought that bearings should be replaced in pairs, front and/or back.
  • There is likely 10 hrs of work, plus parts, involved in the job.

You do realize that more money is made on parts than the initial car sale?

The bearings aren't like our old american car front wheel bearings. They are sealed bearings, pressed in, and require parts of the suspension to be removed.

John
  • best answer here is to avoid the dealer. Surely there is a trustworthy competent service garage in your area. I take what repairs we have to a local garage. They have invested in the test equipment and service manuals and are way cheaper than the subaru dealer.
    New car dealers reward you for making the second biggest purchase in your life by screwing you royally when they get the chance. Once the warranty is up its not usually a good idea to go there. ten hours labor to change a wheel bearing? sounds like a lot but I have no personal experience so maybe its so.
1234568»