Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Transmission Problems

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Undermine, no, just more detail, more depth in the explanation.

First, since about 2005 to improve FE the lockup clutch is engaged at any and all speeds EXCEPT under acceleration or when the brake are applied. That's why I often refer to transaxles as having 6(10) speeds, the lockup clutch use is enabled in the top 4 gears.

"..the 4WD drive system.."

Get into an actual 4WD, transfer case, and with center differential LOCKED, drive it for, say, 20 miles on a highly tractive surface and then take it directly to a shop for repair. The only difference is the MDX has the "center diff'l" LOCKED only under acceleration or during low speed turns.

But sooner or later you will have accummulated that same highly stressful, OVER-STRESSING, ~20 miles.
  • mdx32mdx32 Posts: 2
    I have about 20k more miles to go. I have another issue now, and I think it is time to say good bye to Acura.
  • dc1225dc1225 Posts: 53
    what's the other issue?

I know I am through w Acura after this mdx. I am finally going to pay slightly more and move up to Lexus.
  • codog3codog3 Posts: 12
    my 04 has made the same whining noise ever since I got it 06 with 54k. I never did anything about it and have not had any problems
    that's great to hear...I hope I follow the same route as you. How many miles do you have on it now?
    Unless you mean the GX or LX, which have gas-guzling V8's, a new MDX would be a better value.

The 99-00 RXes were dogs insofar as premature transmission failures.

The newer, 2010 and after RX350 models have a muchly improved F/awd system but still remains FAR below the F/awd standard set by the SH-AWD system.

It appears that the early failures of the MDX transaxles/TC were the result of the use of the VTM-4 F/awd system.

On the other hand, for the new RX or the MDX (or even the new Explorer) I would disable the rear drive engagement clutch except for times of suspected need.

No reason to needlessly chance a transaxle, TC, rear clutch system, or PTO failure.
  • I bought my first Acura in 1998..an RL and it was magnificent ..never a problem. In 2005 I bought an MDX and has been relatively trouble free. 2 months ago I got the recall notice for "electronic upgrades " for the transmission. I took it to the dealer and in 2 hours they "fixed" the transmission by adjusting the shift points electronically. Now my miles per gallon have gone from 19 city down to 14.8 MPG and the highway mileage has gone from 24+ to 19.7 (or less). It feels like the top gear (overdrive ?) has been eliminated. Since we had had no problems before they did the work I asked that they return it to the original shift points so I could get my 25% mileage reduction back...they refused and gave me the phone # for Acura national customer service..so I have to decide between MPG similar to my Ford F-150 V-8 or a transmission doomed to failure...pretty crappy options for a $45000 automobile..the last Acura I will own...anyone had a similar experience ??? Is there a class action suit ???
  • jslivonjslivon Posts: 57
    I have no knowledge of a lawsuit but my 2003 MDX had the same gas milegae drop after they replaced my transmission. You solved that mystery, thanks.

ps....my next car will be a Ford.
  • jensadjensad Posts: 388
    Good luck re: "moving up to Lexus". I owned an rl330 and the hourly rate for the servicing for the Lexus was twice the cost of servicing my Acura rl, and now mdx. And the parts for Lex was likewise more than Acura.

I figured the Lexus would continue to be expensive compared to my Acura so I switched over to Acura.. Both are excellent vehicles but I'll stick with my Acuras.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • I know this is kind of an old post bt problem with my ut I am having this same exact problem with my 01 MDX and was wondering if any one has any info about it before I take it to a mechanic!!
  • chevyfan15chevyfan15 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Acura MDX with 83000 miles on it about 20000 miles ago it started to make a rumbling/vibrating noise at 45mph going up a slight hill. The tach will jump back and forth while doing this. Also while i was backing out of a parking lot i moved into gear and felt a shuttering from the trans as if it was slipping. to add to this while i was pulling out of an intersection the tach would not go above 2500 and go out of 2nd gear with the pedal literally on the floor nothing would happen. besides the trans problems multiple other problems have started. the dvd player quit,homelink never would work no light or anything,the adjustment handle on the passenger side fell out, the leather center console has had peeling leather, rust on the back door and security problems. we have always had chevy/gmc cars and trucks all over 100000miles with little to no problems they will run for ever. compared to this [non-permissible content removed] crap. save time and money buy American! will never buy another "Crapura" :lemon: :sick:
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    "we have always had chevy/gmc cars and trucks all over 100000miles with little to no problems they will run for ever"

If your chevy/gmc's were so great, why didn't you stick with them?
    because its chevy/gmc and some people don't want to be lumped in w the farmers hilbillies and low class people that drive them.
    A Honda product normally gets 250k to 350k miles, a lot better then GM. Also, GM products have high failure rates with their electronics, and they won't stand behind all the experimental failures with the Cadalac products. It's just that Acura dropped the ball on the MDX.

Keep in mind that GM is just an middle-rate product. Acura is suppose to be a premium model. Maybe they hired some GM engineers?

It's common knowledge that the forgien companies are learning to make cars cheaper in quality. My next car will be a Ford.
    "...why didn't you.."

Wanted to try out some of this new, more exciting, technology...?
    Ford, FORD...!!!

These days to get a decent Ford you have to have the kind of deep pockets it takes to buy a Lexus.
    LOL so I get a letter from local Infinity dealer telling me that they would give me 20,600 for my 06 mdx. I guess apparently people are looking for used mdx and that they are having hard time finding used mdx.

My cars worth 21600 according to KBB(excellent). This got me thinking maybe i can dump my mdx and get a hummer h3?

Anyway, guys, apparently used mdx's are very much in demand right now so I guess you will get back every penny and then some if you decide to unload it.

But then I just read this article today about used car prices are going up unbelievably. I noticed that edmunds 06 mdx rating is 4.7 even w the tranny issues.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-used-car-prices-to-rise-2011- 0621,0,5778742.story

Thoughts???
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,312
    edited June 2011
    "We need your car" letters have been a marketing tool for dealers for a long time.

If you want to trade, go check out your options. Used car prices are nuts right now so you may indeed like the deal offered. Don't get your hopes up too high - Kelley's numbers are asking prices. Check for the TMV under the Used Cars tab above; chances are it's a bit lower, especially the trade-in value.

But the letter isn't unique to you or to MDX owners (but you don't have to let the dealer you know that). :shades:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

hahah, yeah the thought REALLY crossed my mind let me tell you as I continue to hear my torque converter whistle....I am on the fence. The thing is I can get a 06 07 hummer w 60 70k miles for 15 to 17k, no problem in my area.

I have to research da hell outta H3 about reliability. I am not about to go from a headache to a bigger headache or migraine! If the H3 was 7 seater, I'd be at the dealer already.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,951
    The H3 is just a re-bodied Envoy/TrailBlazer...

I'd guess that reliability/repair is poor..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bluelady1bluelady1 Posts: 2
    Hi:

My MDX has 47000 miles. It had the same problem and was jumping when I braked like the accelerator pedal was stuck. I took it in to the dealer and they did a software update. Did not fix the problem. It is dangerous and will cause personal injury if the brakes do not grab. The Acura people claim there is no problem. There is and I will contact governmental agencies about this serious and dangerous situation.
  • I have same problem with my 2001 MDX.I replaced transmission and still same problem. Did power control board solve problem?
  • rastrosrastros Posts: 3
    Have a 2002 Certified MDX, bought in 2006. Was sold a 7yr/100,000 mi extended warranty from Honda. The fee also included 3yr bumper to bumper coverage. Today, car has 86,000 mi and I have owned 5 yrs., and transmission has failed. I assumed coverage was there. But----despite contract saying in BOLD at top---7yrs/100,000, the fine print at bottom implies that for certified cars, coverage is retroactive to in-service date. That was not made clear at sale time. In other words contract seems "split"---with bumper to bumper good from date of car sale (2006), but powertrain good from car in-service date (2002). In addition contract indicates in fine print that a "pre-owned" Honda has coverage from date of sale, while certified is from in-service. Since my car is both pre-owned and certified, do I have a case? Both Honda and local dealer say No. Any thoughts? I feel deceived. Thanks.
    Our 2003 MDX was purchased used from a Honda dealer under the same conditions. Our trans failed at 108k miles. Because we had the 100k extended warranty, and that I complained and threatened them from info I learned on this blog, Honda paid 90% of our replacement trans.

Keep complaining, make them call Honda in California and don't settle for less. File a complaint at the Better Business Bureau for starters if they don't give in.

Next car, don't buy a Honda product. My next one will be a Ford.
    "...My next one wil be a Ford...!

That would be a bigger mistake.
  • rastrosrastros Posts: 3
    Why do you suggest calling Honda in California? I called an 800 # so I'm not sure where it was. The dealership has no interest in contacting Honda for me at this point, although Honda did agree tyesterday to throw in $ 500. Also, exactly how did you threaten them? What was the threat?
    A contract attorney suggested I could take them to small claims court myself, since hiring him would be too expensive. Is that the threat?
    Thanks,
  • samsusamsu Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am about to buy used 2005 MDX base with 70K miles on it for $14k from individual seller. One of my friend told me about transmission issue and I checked this forum and now it got me worried.
    I test drove car and everything seems ok but I am no expert and 5 mins of test drive is not going to give me any insight.
    Let me know if there is any suggestion and or something I can do to verify transmission before buying.
    thanks,
    Sam
    It appears that when Acura switched the MDX from the VTM-4 system to the SH-AWD system mid-decade the transaxle failures became less of an issue. I don't really know when the switch was made.
  • My MDX is at the dealer right now. Same problem as everyone else, shuddering below 45 mph, clunking or a hesitant jerking when going from coasting to accelerating. Leith Acura in Fayetteville, NC wants $4400.00 to replace the transmission. They said that they could not offer any discount because I am the 2nd owner. Broken front motor mount as well - they want 465.00 for that. I told them to get stuffed and am taking it ot a budget transmission shop. Will trade the piece of junk at my first opportunity.
  • jhwang221jhwang221 Posts: 1
    What do you guys think about pooling information together over here and getting some sort of class action lawsuit going?

The 2003 MDX has had a large amount of torque converter and transmission failures and has had no sort of recall done. I would be willing to compile the information and send a claim through to the Better Business Bureau or any other route that would be necessary.