Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Transmission Problems

Comments

• mdxsammdxsam Posts: 2
    My wife has a 2010 with 28,000 miles. Just went in to have torque converter replaced. She had a 2002 that she loved...130,000 miles and not one problem. However, one of her girlfriends bought an MDX (mostly because my wife raved about hers) and she had to replace her transmission. Not sure of year/mileage but I think it is a 2005 or 2006.

Very disappointed in what appears to be a chronic problem. That said, the dealer was very quick to point out the problem, admit that "they have seen similar problems in a couple of 2010s" and tell us it (torque converter) needed to be replaced. Our lease is up next year. Had every intention of buying, but now I'm not so sure...
  • mdxsammdxsam Posts: 2
    My wife has a 2010 with 28,000 miles. Just went in to have torque converter replaced. She had a 2002 that she loved...130,000 miles and not one problem. However, one of her girlfriends bought an MDX (mostly because my wife raved about hers) and she had to replace her transmission. Not sure of year/mileage but I think it is a 2005 or 2006.

Very disappointed in what appears to be a chronic problem. That said, the dealer was very quick to point out the problem, admit that "they have seen similar problems in a couple of 2010s" and tell us it (torque converter) needed to be replaced. Our lease is up next year. Had every intention of buying, but now I'm not so sure...
  • Acura's failure to do a recall (even a silent one) is shocking. Yes, I think the trans was better for a few years, but now my 2010 let go at 35K. Others report the same. With the cars still under warranty, I think Acura would rather pay out for the cars needing replacements rather than recall all the MDX vehicles. My anger is increased, however, by the fact that the replacement in my car is NOT a new design. I'll trade the car (probably for an Infinity) well before the next 35K go by. Meanwhile, that used car dealer of yours should be jailed.
  • jslivonjslivon Posts: 57
    Good thing you walked away from it. At 110k miles you would have needed a timing belt, spark plugs and valve adjustment $$$$$. At that time, they would have found two broken motor mounts $$$$$$$. In 150k miles, you'd need front lower control arms and ball joints $$$$$$. Then your new transmission would fail again $$$$$$
  • dc1225dc1225 Posts: 53
    Curious, just wondering which infinity? QX? Have you done any research? I have 06 mdx which I just had tc replaced but I am looking for equivalent suitable replacement for mdx. I love Acura and mdx but I am going to give another brand a try.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited January 2012
    Infinity products are all RWD based so there is NEVER a need to apportion engine torque AWAY from the front so that enough traction coefficient is leftover at the front for safety, maintaining directional control.

Absent that need, unique to base FWD vehicles, there is no extraordinary driveline stress levels that must be accounted for in the R/awd design.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,965
    The new JX is a FWD-based vehicle..

The Infiniti G20 and I30 were both FWD.... nothing about the Infiniti brand specifies that they are RWD-based..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Infiniti = upscale = RWD.

"were" both.....
  • Hi wwest i too am having issuses with the tranny,i have a 2001 mdx with 150,000+ miles with second transmission on its way out,how do i disengage the rear wheel drive?and which fuse to pull? Is it safe ? Thanks .
    I could advise you on that point for a Ford(etc) or a Toyota(etc) product since I have full access to those shop/repair manuals. But I do not have access to any Honda/Acura product. I do know that were this an SH-AWD system what you ask could not be done.

If you live well south of the "snow line" you might consider have a mechanic simply remove the rear driveshaft.
    For future consideration, I may consider Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, RX350, Honda Pilot, GMC Acadia. Not sure what years yet but won't be new. Maybe 2007 or so...

Isn't Honda Pilot same as our MDX though? Same problems?
    For most of those I would recommend the 4runner instead. In the price class of the RX350 I would recommend a base V6 Porsche Cayenne. FYI prior to 2010 the RX3X0 series did not have anything close to reasonable "F/awd" functionality. Even the 2010 and after RX350 does not have the level of F/awd functionality that the SH-AWD system has, not even close.
  • So, I should probably not buy the 2012 MDX. Darn. I was really in love with MDX but there is no way in hell I want tranny problems down the road. It's a good thing I googled "2012 MDX problems" and found this forum because I was planning on going to the dealer this Sat. lol. Does anyone have other vehicle suggestions? Thanks!
  • Have you checked out the new VW touaregs,i have a 05 v8 and shes pretty solid.just regular oil changes.
  • thanks for the quick reply,i am from socal so i guess i'll just bring it to a shop and tell them to remove the drive shaft,also do you know of anyone on the forums who has done this mod? My transmission overheated over the weekend then had to replace the atf and also used BARS transmission repair fluid and no BS it sounds like the car is running like a top no more jerking,vibrations or shudering.dunno how long this fix will work thou.
  • I really like the 12 but sadly it only has room for 5. :( I love the interior and navi placement. It is simple and clean cut.
    If you have pockets deep enough to consider the MDX then the Porsche Cayenne base V6 might be an alternate. Nothing against VW other than it just is not a Porsche.
  • pam53pam53 Posts: 1
    My MDx has 138,000miles and now has a grinding noise when I accelerate around 40mph. I have had it to several mechanics to check it. The first told me it was cracked engine mounts and sharged me $800 to fix. It didnt fix it at all. the next mechanic said that he heard the noise and looked but visually did not see anything. He put it on the computer and got codes that alerted to the VSA system which he said I would need to take to dealer (I have hesitated to take to dealer because in the past their prices were OUTRAGEOUS and I felt ripped off) I saw in other posts about the torque converter. Does this sound like a possibility? I saw a TSB about it but no official recall. Anyone have any idea how much this would cost me to fix out of warranty? I assume I have no chance at getting it fixed for free or low cost since the TSB? Any advise is much appreciated!! Wondering if now I should just trade it in:(
    That sounds like transmission could be the issue. I think repair costs are $2000 for non dealership and $4000 at dealership
  • Just bought a 2012 MDX 2 weeks ago. Found the transmission shift is not smooth, especially in low gear, like a manual transmission gear engage. Also, at around 30MPH or lower speed, if I release the gas pedal, when the speed goes down, sometimes you can feel little shock like brake is taken (looks like the gear is down shift). I didn't feel any of those symptoms when test-drived another car before bought this one. After reading all those post, I'm a little worried, is this a symptom of a bad transmission or torque converter? Should I go to dealer ask them to check it? This is a NEW car, man :mad: ! Thanks for any advice.