Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Transmission Problems

Comments

• UPDATE. So the vehicle went in for the Torque Converter. They got it apart and we got the phone call that the torque converter was "missing some teeth" and that they were indeed going to replace the transmission as well. We shall see.
  • This is true contact the Corporate headquarters of Acura in California.
    I asked my service dealer Acura of Springfield Mo and they flat out lied to me.
    There is a recall and thousands of complaints regarding faulty transmission design.
    Is there a class action lawyer available out there to help?
  • I have a 2002 MDX and the transmission went out at 103,500 Acura is willing to pay only 25% of the bill and gave me a $5500 price for a manufactured transmission!
    There should be a class action suit.
    The Acura of Springfield Missouri flat out lied to me and said there has never been any problems with the MDX transmissions including the year 2002.
  • I have a 2002 MDX and the transmission went out at 103,500 Acura is willing to pay only 25% of the bill and gave me a $5500 price for a manufactured transmission!
    There should be a class action suit.
    The Acura of Springfield Missouri flat out lied to me and said there has never been any problems with the MDX transmissions including the year 2002.
    Acura Headquarters said the exact something to me
    1. Did you get all your service done at an Acura dealer?
    2. The Acura dealer you took the car to does not belong to Acura and I should get a lawyer and sue the dealership
    3. We can withdraw our offer at any time.. I dealt with Fred and he was very short, uncaring and rude!
  • I did contact the lawyer firm that did sue Honda on previous issues. The MDX was not part of it and they suggested finding individual counsel. Given the amount of turmoil though, it would seem a hungry group would want to take this on. I was going to printout the hundreds of pages/complaints and send a letter to Acura and whomever else would listen but truthfully ran out of energy or desire to fight the big guys. The only recourse I have is to never buy another Honda product again (and I have owned 4...two including my MDX are in my garage, AND, I helped my nephews each buy 1). Maybe Ford is the answer afterall, with the latest Toyota problems, Chrysler and GMs financial woes. Sad day.
  • maybe we if we all got aletter writing campaign with all complaints and sent to acura and perhaps got some media attention as well from various cities? strenght in numbers but that will put the resale value of your car in the toilet when it's time to unload it. just a thought.
  • jslivonjslivon Posts: 57
    If somebody would hire a lawyer regarding this, then provide contact info to join, we could all sign up. The more people you have, the less it would cost for legal fees, and the lawyer would work harder due to a larger pay out if we win. The other choice is to hire a lawyer on a contingent basis. There is no out-of-pocket money from us, but lawyers take from 25% to 33% of the winnings.

You have to hope the judge doesn't look at us as a bunch of whinny rich people (because we drive Acuras). Realistically, I don't think we have a leg to stand on unless you have "defective" parts in your hand and internal Acura documentation confirming they were aware of the problem and chose to cover it up. You need to prove "fraud". Keep in mind that plain "stupidity" is not illegal. That's another story.

Bottom line, my next car will be a Ford. I think they are the car company of the future.
  • ta111ta111 Posts: 1
    Just had my 2002 MDX (114,000 miles) at dealer for the shudder vibration issue. Found bad torque converter that needs replacement. Service dept. stated $1790 cost and Acura would pick up 25% of cost. I stated that this was unacceptable and I am the owner of 3 Acuras (including new TSX). Service dept called Acura again and they will pick up 50% of cost. I have accepted this.
    Moral of story-don't accept their first offer-they know this is a wide-spread problem (our local dealer has replaced many converters and trannys in the MDX).
  • 10sfan10sfan Posts: 136
    I also own a 05 MDX but fortunately I have an extended (costly) warranty. When that expires, I may be stuck. Hopefully they may have to suffer the same fate of Toyota soon which has denied any problem with the accelator linkage since 2006. Just takes a number of deaths, like the Ford SUV/Firestone tire recall in 2000. Owned one then.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,017
    Be careful what you wish for though. Individual actions may get you farther.

Attorneys get $3 million, consumers get coupons in Honda class action case (MSNBC)
  • Folks, is there any place we can find out how many of us have tranny issues on MDX?
  • I wouldn't know. It's probably in Acura's secret files. Look at all the crap Toyota owners just went through just for a gas pedal. By the way, Toyota publicly announced that they were sorry....hahahaha, like that makes everything OK.

Anyway, all the car companies are like this.

Since replacing my Acura transmission, I'm changing the trans fluid with every regular oil change, (5k miles) and using Mobil 1 ATF. It takes 3-1/2 qts. and 10 minutes extra time. Keep in mind, the whole trans. holds 9 qts. It might help and it might not. If the trans fails after the 3yr/36 month warranty, I'll have an independent garage rebuilt it better then what Acura does.
  • Don't forget all of the 2003 Pilot owners...they have pages and pages of this on their forum...
  • DOES ANYONE WANT TO FORM A CLASS ACTION SUIT, AT THE VERY LEAST GET MEDIA EXPOSURE ON THIS ISSUE. THESE ARE $40,000 VECHILES AND THE TRANSMISSION GOES ANYWHERE FORM 60,000 MILES TO 105,000 MILES.. NOT TO MENTION THE HONDA PILOT. THIS IS A DESIGN FLAW.
    I SPOKE TO ACURA 'S CORPORATE
    HEADQUARTERS AND THEY FLAT OUT DENY THIS PROBLEM. THEY ARE RUDE AND QUITE THE SCAM ARTIST, THEY TOLD ME THAT TRANSMISSION WILL NOT EFFECT THE ENGINE.
    FURTHERMORE THEY TOLD ME TO GET A LAWYER AND SUE THE DEALERSHIP "ACURA OF SPRINGFIELD" BECAUSE THEY ARE INDEPENDENTLY OWNED AND OPERATED,
    NEVER NEVER WILL I BUY AN ACURA AGAIN!
  • Computer code p 0740 which is the Torque Converter, both the Acura of Springfield and Corporate Headquarters for Acura insist I needed a new transmission and a computer to a tune of $5900.00. Both insist you cannot just replace the TCC and to top it off when you replace the transmission you have to replace the computer module.
    The dealership has dropped the price down to $2500.00 to compensate for the problems I have had with them.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,017
    That advice may not be too bad.

This Honda case may be of interest:

A case in which the only winners are lawyers (MSNBC)
  • There were 136 complaints on Acura MDX 2001 so far (on the government website). Maybe we if all file a complaint. to the poster above, true, laywers will win, we get nothing except a bad taste in our mouth. At least it is documented and at least there are 136 fewer people to buy an Acura now (or more). This will be my last Honda Oddessey as well. I am moving on next time. I guess if everyone sues individually you might have a chance but still lawyer fees will trump anything you get. So shop around for the best new tranny deal or ditch the car and hope some other unsupspecting person doesnt' end up with it and on this forum later. What a crock. Also, just for fun, I heard Warren Brown from Washington Post (The car guy) talk about the Toyota issues. I dropped him an email just for grins. we will see if he responds. Good luck everyone!
  • You're serious? 103K and you are suprised?? Im suprised how many people think that a vehicle will drive forever (yes... even when you take care of it) and that things don't WEAR OUT. Yes... your friction materials inside your tranny wear out. You wouldn't have gotten 103k without taking care of it. If you want a car that will last 200k before having a transmission replaced, I suggest you design and build one. And then let us know how that works out for you. 103k... Geezus. Why don't people learn about how things work before complaining about how it didn't last.... forever.
  • I don't know how many have crapped out.. Acura won't tell us, they have lawyers handling all the mdx (and Odyssey) transmission calls. My transmission crapped out at 96k miles. I've seen other posts of people who've replaced transmissions 3 times in 100k miles (first time at 30k miles). I'd recommend complaining to your Senators and representatives and complaining to Ray LaHood the transportation secretary.
    Good luck,
    Pat
  • Yes, I expect a transmission to last at least 150,000 miles or more. My 5 Toyotas I've owned did. I thought Honda had good quality cars, but they don't. My transmission is gone, right now being replaced due to faulty transmission from Honda. I have a 2002 MDX with less than 80,000 miles. It is too bad you never had a car go 150-200K miles with no engine or transmission problems, for I surely have in my 62 years. The transmission was faulty when Honda put them in the vehicles and failed to admit a problem existed. This will be my last Honda, that is for sure. Even with the recalls that Toyota has going on now, I just bought a 2009 Avalon and don't regret it at all. At least Toyota is being honest and fixing the problems. This is my 3rd Avalon and the other 2 went way beyond 150K miles with no problems in engine or transmission.