Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chevrolet Impala

axinutaxinut Member Posts: 11
edited December 2013 in Chevrolet
Do we have any other 2008 Impala owners here?

I just bought the car a couple of weeks ago, I traded an SUV in on the car. One of my expections was that the Impala would get better gas mileage. So far I haven't been disapointed, I've been getting between 26 and 27 mpg on my daily round trip commute of 75 miles.

Comments

• norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    I have a 2008 LTZ with all options except sun roof. The very best fuel mileage was 30.1 one time. The average over 4379 miles is 25.9573 mpg. Since winter has set in, it is somewhat less. When on the interstate I drive 65 to 70mph which seems to be the sweet spot.I have no issues with this car so far, very satisfied and an easy car to wash. Enjoy the ride.
  • axinutaxinut Member Posts: 11
    Does your compass work correctly? I set mine to the correct region number and it was still not correct. I have tried the calibration mode, the DIC tells you to drive in circles. I find this a little strange as I wouldn't think the compass would be that difficult to calibrate.

I am reasonbly satisfied with the car to date, it certainly rides and handles much better than the SUV I traded in.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    axi,
    Driving in circles to calibrate the compass is normal, in my experience. I can't speak to other makes but it has been a requirement in the cars I've owned.
    What exactly is your issue? Is the compass not working at all or just seem to giving erroneous headings as you drive? Be sure to calibrate it in an area with no interference...preferrably a place with no light poles or away from buildings.
    Mine works like a champ although I don't expect perfection. After all, it's only giving general heading not a specifice degree readout. Let us know how it works out for you. :)

Ron
    The directional readings were erroneous, It is now calibrated, driving around cloverleaf interstate interchanges must qualify as "driving in a circle', that is where it was finally calibrated.

I do need to check the headings.
    axi,
    Keep in mind that the calibration feature will eventually stop bugging you to calibrate and will eventually return to giving the general direction based on the calibration it could achieve through your routine driving. However, it wouldn't be fair to judge the system if you haven't taken the time to properly set it up. The recommended calibration only takes a minute or less (literally) and will then give you a much more accurate reading. The only real issue with doing it is that you make look a little silly driving in circles. The folks working in the establishment who's parking lot I used were looking at me funny through the windows. But, I just drove away afterwards so no harm done. :P :D

Good luck!
    Ron
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I bought a new vehicle about a month ago, and I'd set up the proper zone on the built-in compass, but had never taken the time to calibrate it properly. Yesterday afternoon we were driving through a neighborhood looking for houses for sale, and wound up on a cul-de-sac...PERFECT time to stop and calibrate the compass! Sure I made an extra loop around the circle, but now it's done.
    Cul-de-sacs are also a very good option as there will likely be less interference in a residential neighborhood. However, there is a higher chance of odd looks coming from the residents. :P ;)
    I had a hard time calibrating because of overhead wires. Finally found a field by my barn and it calibrated in short order. Seems accurate since. Have been on a long trip, 28-30 mpg, runs great. Enjoy the ride.
    I did get my compass calibrated. I set the correct zone first, then pressed the check to calibrate the compass. It took five or six circles in an empty parking lot, The directions appear to be correct.

I am getting about 27 mpg for my 70 mile a day round trip commute which is mostly interstate highway driving through the city. Trafficwise some days are better that others. The worst mileage I have seen so far is about 23 mpg on stop and go in town driving. I am very happy with the gas mileage, this is one of the reasons I selected this particular car. I have the 3.5, 211 HP V-6 engine. :)
  • thatismthatism Member Posts: 3
    When I have the heat on there is an intermittent ticking noise that comes from somewhere in the dash. Anyone else have this issue?
    There was a TSB for the '06 model's dash ticking but it was due to dash clips rubbing against the windshield. I believe that problem was fixed in the mid-06 run. Does it continue indefinitely or seem to calm down after the car has warmed up?

As for your '08 model, is it loud (like a rock hitting the windshield) or fairly minor? My guess is you're hearing the different components "creaking" against each other as the temperatures equalize. This is basically the same thing that was happening with the early '06s but the noise was louder due to metal rubbing against glass. I think it's just plastic on plastic in your case.
    Thanks for your post.

The ticking continues for as long as the heat and fan are on. If I switch the fan off the ticking stops. The ticking is not very loud but can become annoying (it can be heard over the radio) and is hard to locate but it comes from various locations in the dash.
    When cold (20's, 30's,40's) I get a ticking noise in the dash area that is very minor. It sounds like plastic parts expanding, probably in or around the hearer ducts. I would not allow anyone the oportunity to tear into it in the hopes of finding the cause. The ticking is not bump sensitive, but heat change. If the ticking noise is related to only the blower motor, it would occur throughout the heat range.. Since I have traveled south, it has not re-occurred. At 8000+ miles my 08 LTZ continues to be a great ride. In town driving with some hyway is currently producing 25.8 MPG. Enjoy the ride.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I used to have that in my 2000 Intrigue, it went away on it's own. Extreme cold and heat do things to a car's plastic after manufacture.

I took a look at an 08 LTZ at the auto show. My big disappointment was rear seat room. The new Malibu was much better. Otherwise, it's on my shopping list.
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    I have what I described to the service dept as a ticking in my dash, but the said they couldn't replicate it. It is not constant, but I will hear it days in a row even when the heat/air is turned off. It happens in hot and cold weather before and after the engine has heated up. The rythmn does not change. An independent ASE mechanic heard it and said it sounded like the blower fan, but another one said if it was the blower fan it would change rythmn with the speed of the fan.
  • leahtleaht Member Posts: 2
    Hey folks. My sister has a 2007, couldn't find one on this post board. She had a horrible accident
    this weekend and the airbags failed to deploy. Do any of you know any history of Impala's having
    an airbag problem? Thx. Minnesota.
    I thought I would check back in, we are still doing well in the gas mileage department. I am getting 27-29 MPG on my 70 mile roundtrip commute every day and have even had a few days where the avg gas mileage was over 30 MPG.

Everythings still running OK and haven't had any issues with the car yet. I'm still very happy with the car.

Is everyone else out there having good experiences with the 2008?
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    It's beeen a couple years since I bought my 2006 2LT and I was curious about the current model year prices, options, etc. When I went to the Chevy website to use their build option, I discovered a new model--the "LT 50th". Granted, it's just a trim difference from the 2LT, but it does offer one interesting feature as standard equipment: the FE3 Performance-Tuned Suspension. Does anyone have any information regarding what the differences are in spring rates, front/rear anti-roll bar diameters, etc? Limited options on the car--sun roof and side molding strips; two colors--black and Red Jewel Tintcoat. Standard equipment--leather interior, 18" wheels, ABS, Stabli-trac, special ID markings, etc. Anyone seen or driven one? Thanks, Clark
    I wasn't aware of this model, I'm sure I haven't seen one, but I will be on the lookout for 17.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Yes, they're out and about.

Basically, a 3.5L LT model dressed with special leather seats, badges, the SS suspension (that's what FE3 is) and larger wheels.

Here's one:

Previously, they were supposed to come with the wheels used on the LTZ, but these late '08 50th anniversary cars seem to have been built using SS wheels instead.
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    Thanks for the photos and the comments. Have you had a chance to drive it? How does the FE3 suspension compare? Does it tighten things up a bit?

Thanks again,
    Clark
  • jeff49783jeff49783 Member Posts: 1
    I am the operator of a brand new 2008 Impala LS (fleet owned car). I have experience with many makes of foreign and domestic autos, most recently Ford, Honda, and Mercedes.

I have had this vehicle for a few days and 1100 miles, an would like to offer the following impressions:

1) Fuel mileage - I'm observing the mid to upper twenties (computer provided figures, not mine), and the engine is arguably still not broken in. I expect this will rise. My observations include a spirited drive from Northern Ohio to Northern Michigan, and a dose of E85 thrown in.

2) Fit and Finish - The General did a good job on this one. Everything is tight, consistent, and has a quality feel. There are no squeaks or rattles yet, though I fully expect a few new-car bugs.

3) Design - Visibility is average. Control access and entry/egress are good. the trunk swallowed ALL of my professional equipment and there is still room left.

4) Ride/Handling - Competent, if not above average. It is not a sports car, and it feels better on our lousy roads.

5) Value - This vehicle is a teriffic value for the money. I look forward to a productive relationship and I will report back.

Jeff
    Reporting in. Purchased new 7-30-07. all options except sun roof. Great car in all respects. Never returned for any work. I do my own maintainance. Gas mileage since new 25.88 mpg using regular unleaded over 13400 miles. The driving is a mix of hyway at 65 - 70 mph. and some short runs of 5- 8 miles. Ths short runs kills the mileage. I had a 2000 Impala LT with the 3800 engine which gave me 28.4 mpg over 41000 miles. I suspect the performance gearing results in less MPG. In any event, I am well satisfied. The mileage beats my 1972 Monte Carlo 350 CID, 3- speed stick which gives me 17.2 MPG. Enjoy the ride.
  • givemeabrakegivemeabrake Member Posts: 1
    One of the main reasons I traded my 2003 Impala for a 2008 was the ability to utilize E85. My in-city mileage was 22.4 with regular gas but only 16.6 with E85. Thats more than a 30% drop in mileage. I am finding that my mileage cost is 18 cents per mile on E85 and 16 cents per mile on gas (for in city driving). E85 is now $3.19 in Atlanta. Only when the price of E85 is 30% less than gas will we break even. Since I have to fill up more often on E85 and it costs me more per mile I am going back to regular gas. I will wait until E85 is MORE than 30% LESS than gas.
    Thanks for the info on E85. I am curious if you are driving stop and go or is there more gridlock/idling. Is there any performance increase with E85? I haven't read as to whether the engines are tuned to take advantage of the higher octane. Regardless, the costs outweigh the benefit. I consider myself a "green" person but have not jumped on board with E85. If you look a little deeper, your expenses are higher still once you figure in farm subsidies and tax credits for the producers of ethanol. :cry:

Happy motoring with regular unleaded. :)
  • rwesselsrwessels Member Posts: 2
    axinut,

I have a similar problem with my compass. I live in the middle of zone 3 and 4 and so i calibrated for zone 4. I recently drove 100 miles south so i am definitely in zone 4 at this point and my compass worked perfectly.

I am haven't tried to set it to zone 3 yet, but will report back... do you think that you are in a weird calibration zone?
  • rwesselsrwessels Member Posts: 2
    I hear this sound in the engine compartment from time to time. The dealer has put over 160 miles on it and 'cannot replicate' it. So I made a recording and they still say that they cannot do anything about it till it happens.

The sound can be downloaded clicking here (and is annoyingly loud).

Has anyone else noticed a high pitched whine happening occasionally with a pitch that varies with RPM?
    No, I don't think so, I was able to set mine by following the instructions in the owner's manual, it worked like a charm. If you can find an empty parking lot or cul de sac it will make the job much easier. Five or six circles should do the job.
  • sylviaesylviae Member Posts: 31
    Please tell me---which size tires/wheels would be the best on a 2008 Chev Impala for the best ride or driving and handling. I was supposed to have 17 inch wheels on it but they put factory 16 inch instead---I am not happy with the dealership not honoring my request in buying this new auto---is there any difference in the ride with the 17 inch wheels and will it give me a better ride???? Please give me some advice. I also requested a 6 CD Changer and got one called an aftermarket---a Pioneer in the trunk and it has to be tuned to an FM signal. Is this the best I can do?????
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    My '06 Impala developed this exact noise when it only had 7500 miles on it. It is most likely the power steering.

My car had blown a high pressure line in the power steering system, which caused the fluid to start leaking out. There was a TSB for this, so the dealer performed the recommended procedure and it has been fine since (my car is just about to hit 30,000 miles). It is amazing that this may still be an issue in the '08's.

Check your power steering fluid and make sure it is at the correct level.
    As far as the CD Changer is concerned, Chevy offers a CD Changer that is integrated into the head-unit as an option. There is no reason the dealer could not order this part and install it in place of your current head-unit. If it was the dealer that installed the Pioneer in the trunk, they took the cheap way out.

With regards to the wheels, the 16" wheels/tires will give you a floatier, softer ride. The 17" wheels/tires will reduce some of the float that you get with the 16" and will still be very comfortable. If you like a softer, floatier ride stick with the 16". If you want less float and a more controlled feeling ride then you may want to try for the 17". Keep in mind when it comes time for new tires, 17" tires tend to cost a little more than 16".

Which trim Impala did you get? It sounds as though the dealership may have given you a trim line that did not incorporate some of the things you wanted. For example, for 2008 Chevy made the 17-inch wheels standard on the 2LT model only. LS and 1LT models come with 16-inch wheels. LTZ and SS both got 18" wheels standard in 2008. 17" wheels are available for the LS and 1LT as dealer installed accessories. The factory head-unit that includes the CD changer is optional only on 2LT, LTZ, and SS models.

So in order get you the 17" wheels and the CD changer, the dealer should have steered you towards a 2LT. The 17" wheels would have been standard and the CD changer in the head unit would have been optional.

It sounds like you were sold either an LS or a 1LT. That being the case, the dealer should have been able to honor your request for 17" wheels by ordering and installing the 17" GM accessory wheels and tires for the Impala through the parts department. This, however, would have easily added another $1500 to the price of the car. They could have also ordered the upgraded head-unit with the CD changer in it. Again, this would have been $500 or so. So the options you were looking to do would have added at least $2000 to the price of the LS or 1LT. At that point, you would have been better off going with the 2LT. The 2LT would have given you the 3.9L V6, standard 17" wheels, standard ABS/traction control, and the ability to add the factory CD changer for an additional $300.00.

Not sure what recourse you have at this point. GM Accessories is your best bet for 17" wheels. Your other option is to check eBay and look for some OEM take-offs. Many times you can find complete factory tire/wheel sets there for less than $1K (for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-CHEVY-IMPALA-MONTE-CARLO-OEM-WHEELS-RIMS-193B8- _W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ66483QQihZ025QQitemZ380048034721QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZW- DVW).

The CD changer you have did give you a solution although it is not the most convenient or best solution from a sound quality standpoint. If they used the option where the sound is patched directly into the FM antenna then that is better than if it is using a basic FM transmitter.
    Thank you so much for your expplanations and suggestions---I am facing the issue that I was screwed on this car---the sales manager said three times that he would put 17 inch on it but did not and then said that he did not agree to tht at all---of course, since this was my second time to lease from this dealership I felt that I could put my trust in them as I had before. They just got out as cheaply as possible and because this car was the ONLY Impala they had and it was the color I wanted then I felt that with the few adjustments that it would be ok. It is supposed to be an LT 1 but it only says LT---neither a 1 or 2---it has some packages that the LT2 has---leather seats heated) and all controls on the wheel and I felt they would do me right but have found differently-----this will be my last GM car as the GM division would not even assist me in dealing with this dealership----so as far as I am concerned----GM does NOT care for the customer---just the sale----. I am stuck for the next three years. Thank you for your reply.
    Yes, it sounds like you have the 1LT with the Luxury Edition package. That is a great package for the price. Chevy does not put a "1" or "2" designation on the car itself. It will simply state LT on the car.

Unfortunately, most dealerships are franchised so GM has little power to intervene on the sales side. They will, however, have a little more pull with dealers when it comes to service issues. It is not that they do not care, they simply have no control over the dealer and their sales practices.

It is not just GM dealers that make empty promises. I had an experience with a Nissan dealer a few years ago where they told me in writing they would sell me an Altima for a certain price and then changed their mind when I got there the next day. I sat there for 3 hours while they "ran the numbers" again despite what they agreed to the previous afternoon. I ran away from that place and never looked back.

The Impala represents great value for the money. There is very little else on the market that offers the features and comfort for a similar price. The 3.5L V6 is a great engine, and will easily get 28-30mpg on the highway. The car is easy to drive, very comfortable, and very reliable. Put the initial sales experience behind you and enjoy your new car for the next three years...it will go by faster than you think :)
    The Impala brochure mentions the "2-Way Advanced Remote Start" as being a dealer installed option with "late availability". I've contacted GM and here is their reply.

"The two-way remote start system, or the Advanced Remote Start System (ARSS), is a new technology that has a convenient display screen that shows the vehicle’s current status (locked or remote-start engaged, for instance) and critical vehicle data, including tire air pressure, fuel level, odometer and theft alarm status. This key fob offers greater operating range than the factory keyless entry system, and can control a second ARSS.

This dealer-installed option is available on some Chevrolet models, like the Avalanche and the Silverado, but unfortunately is not yet available for 2008 Chevrolet Impala. There are no bulletins as to when this would be available or if it would be available for the 2008 or the 2009 Impala. Furthermore, a check with two (2) authorized Chevrolet dealerships also produced negative replies. "

Does anyone have any knowledge of this toy? The extended range for the remote start would be nice.

By the way, the ticking noise in the dash has gone away. I've done 15,000 miles since October 07 and have been very satisfied with the Impala.
    This is not in reply to the Remote Start although my 2008 Impala is supposed to have that but I haven't tried to activate it. I may be in for a surprise!! But---what IS the ticking noise in the dash----I, too, am experiencing it but they could not get it to do anything when I took it into the service dept---but it does it sometimes at a certain temp or on a certain road. What exactly is it and can it be fixed---the service man told me it is tricky to mess with taking the dash out and I may have more problems and noises than before???? What gives with this answer???
    This is not in reply to the Remote Start although my 2008 Impala is supposed to have that but I haven't tried to activate it. I may be in for a surprise!! But---what IS the ticking noise in the dash----I, too, am experiencing it but they could not get it to do anything when I took it into the service dept---but it does it sometimes at a certain temp or on a certain road. What exactly is it and can it be fixed---the service man told me it is tricky to mess with taking the dash out and I may have more problems and noises than before???? What gives with this answer???

The ticking in the dash has been an issue since the 2006 redesign. My 2006 makes the noise as well. There was a "fix" issued for the 2006 model year and I can only guess that the fix for later years is similar. There is a dash piece that rests against the base of the windshield. It is the piece that goes over the defroster vents and the auto-headlight sensor. It is attached underneath with clips. As the temperature changes (either A/C blowing, heat blowing, sitting in the heat and then turning on the A/C, sitting in the cold and then turning on the heat, etc.) that piece is prone to flexing and making noise until it gets closer to the ambient temp in the car. Frankly, I am shocked that the problem may still be present in 2008 cars. I looked at a 2008 Impala recently, and that dash piece was much better installed than my '06. In my '06 if I simply press down on that piece it sounds brittle and as if it could crack easily. On the '08 I sat in, the piece seemed just as solid as the rest of the dash when I pressed down on it.

The fix on '06 models was to remove that piece, place "anti-itch" tape over the clips, and then reinstall. In order to do that, the dealer needs to remove the entire upper dash. I elected to NOT have the fix done and have learned to live with the noise for the past couple years and 30,000 miles. There are days where it bothers me, and other days where I just don't care about it. However, past experience with cars and rattles/noises has shown me that dealers tend to make matters worse when working on such things. What the service man told you is true, and his answer was a nice way of telling you that they could investigate the problem but could end up creating problems in the process. His response is not an uncommon one when it comes to rattles and other noises in the dash.

If this isn't the source of your problem, I also had a ticking in the dash coming from the glovebox door. I fixed that myself by opening the door and spraying the latch mechanism with white lithium grease. Seems to have helped considerably.

At the end of the day, it comes down to how offensive the noise is to you and if you want to take the risk in having the dealer tear it apart to fix it. If the noise is a distraction to you when driving, or literally driving you crazy (some noises will after time), it may be worth it to have the dealer give it a shot. However understand that when you get it back there may be new noises, or even sime minor scratches on some of the dash pieces if the dealer didn't take care when repairing and re-assembling.
    "The Impala brochure mentions the "2-Way Advanced Remote Start" as being a dealer installed option with "late availability". I've contacted GM and here is their reply.

"The two-way remote start system, or the Advanced Remote Start System (ARSS), is a new technology that has a convenient display screen that shows the vehicle’s current status (locked or remote-start engaged, for instance) and critical vehicle data, including tire air pressure, fuel level, odometer and theft alarm status. This key fob offers greater operating range than the factory keyless entry system, and can control a second ARSS.

This dealer-installed option is available on some Chevrolet models, like the Avalanche and the Silverado, but unfortunately is not yet available for 2008 Chevrolet Impala. There are no bulletins as to when this would be available or if it would be available for the 2008 or the 2009 Impala. Furthermore, a check with two (2) authorized Chevrolet dealerships also produced negative replies. "

Does anyone have any knowledge of this toy? The extended range for the remote start would be nice."

I have seen this system demonstrated on a Silverado. It is nothing more than a fancy keyfob with an extended range remote keyless entry system. In the test I watched, the demonstrator was able to start the Silverado at a range of 1/4 mile (1280 feet), The fob itself has an LCD screen and a small stubby antenna on it and visually displays the information listed in your post. It is like having a Driver Information Center on your fob.

Honestly, I am not quite sure the purpose of such a toy. The benefit of having things like fuel level and tire pressures on the fob escapes me. I can see theft system status, and maybe odometer reading, but the other data seems superfluous. The demonstration I saw made the point that it is a toy more for bragging rights and for people that love new gadgets.

The added range is nice but does anyone really need to be able to start their car from 1/4 mile away? I find the 200-300 ft range I have now to be just fine for starting the car from in the house on very hot/very cold mornings, or for starting the car in a parking lot as I approach it.

There are even some zones in this area now where drivers are not permitted to idle their cars...they call them "idle-free zones". Anyone caught leaving their car idling while unattended can be fined...and the signs in the "idle-free zones" encourage motorists to report all instances. Whenever I see these signs, I have to remember not to remote start.

If you like toys, and it ever gets offered on the Impala, go for it. If I recall, total cost to have installed on the Silverado (parts and labor) was between $300 and $400.
  • malibubobmalibubob Member Posts: 1
    Can you fold down part of the back seat or only all of the back seat? The Chevy video shows that you can flip up part or all of the seat and then shows folding down the whole back to have the back seat completely flat.

I want to know if you can fold down only one of the backs so that someone can still sit in the back seat but have more room for storage with one of the seats folded down?

Thanks.
    It is a 60/40 folding seat. You can fold down one side (allowing a person to sit back there), or you can fold down both sides.

You can also flip up just one seat bottom, or you can flip up both seat bottoms.
  • rcegglrceggl Member Posts: 31
    I simply cannot believe that every dealer cannot take a dash apart. I just don't think they like to do it. If they are careful and know what they are doing, it simply should not be a problem. Electronics shops take them apart daily. That you would end up with more noises simply indicates that an idiot was working on it.
    It's not that dealers can't take a dash apart, it is just that tolerances on pieces are so tight these days that getting it back together with the same standards as used during assembly can be difficult. Most dashes are installed as components at the factory. It gets inserted into the car as a pre-assembled piece. The dealer, however, needs to remove it in pieces. As a result, the chances of creating problems increases.

Once they remove the pieces they need to, or the whole dash if necessary :surprise: , they do not have the luxury of reinserting it as a complete unit. It has to go back in piece by piece. This means the chance to miss some clips, fasteners, or simple "manhandling" increases exponentially.

Electronic shops are simply removing trim bezels, door panels, or interior pillar covers. Those pieces are very quick and easy to snap in and out with little chance for issues. The need for them to completely remove an entire dash is slim.

Whenever I have inquired with a dealer, regardless of brand, about investigating any kind of dash rattle or squeak they have always told me they would be happy to. They have also all told me they could not guarantee that more noises would be created in the process. VW, Ford, Chrysler, Chevy, Pontiac, etc. They all said the same thing.
  • trucker49trucker49 Member Posts: 18
    I'm looking at an '08 Impala and was wondering if anyone has the 3.5L engine? I have the 3.8 in my '00 and love it. The '08 has everything I want on it and is the right color but was unsure about the engine. It's rated at more hp then the 3.8 which is a great engine.

Thanks a lot
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    but i rented an impala lt over weekend.
    i liked it a lot. my regular driver is an awd fusion.
    the impala was quiet(engine and tires), handled uneven pavement very well, and shifted smoothly.
    the interior was much improved over the last one i drove, 2002.
    seats were comfortable for me, stereo was very good. i liked the dash lighting.
    the steering was very firm, which i like, but parking it was difficult.
    is the steering effort supposed to change with speed?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I traded (down) from a great Trailblazer (2005) to an Impala LT (2008)----the 3.5 engine is very good----picks up well from a stop and gets up on the Interstate just great with plenty of power and I do get good gas mileage in town and on the road. The road noise is awful and I have to crank up the radio to high----it also has a lot of wind noise too. These things I did not notice in the rented or the demo I drove so I do not understand the difference. The dealership where I purchased screwed me on the tires as the deal (verbal, of course) was 17" tires/wheels and I got 16's and they would NOT budge nor did they believe what I told them was the verbal agreement between myself and sales mgr----so---maybe it's the tires--But since I am leasing---this will be my last GM product---time for a new product in three years. I also have the dash noise which is driving me crazy--I am very tuned to car noises and the dash clips (from what I have read in this forum) is probably to blame---now they say I may trade this noise for another. I had absolutely no noises in my Trailblazer at all when I let her go-----guess they just don't make the cars very well.But---it is only three years to go-----I really would like to have the dealer check the dash out---but now am scared to do so---one noise is enough!!! They don't take too kindly to an older woman bringing her car in for "noises" !!!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    what tires do you have? the post before yours, i wrote about renting an impala or the weekend. overall, the car was very quiet, as i previously noted.
    the tires were 'integrity', which i think is a goodyear.
    maybe the dealer will swap them out for you.
    also, try checking the tire pressure.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    The Goodyear Integrity tires that are standard on the 16" wheels are extremely noisy. They also do not ride well, and are horrible in the rain. The only thing those tires do well is snow driving. They are actually excellent in the winter.

The Integrity's on my '06 Impala were done at 26K miles. I got rid of them and replaced them with General Altimax RT touring tires. The difference was like night and day. The Generals are quiet and ride very well. I have 6,000 miles on the Generals now and they continue to outshine the original Goodyears.

If you think the Goodyears are noisy, you should have heard the Pirelli P6 Four Seasons that came on my parents '07 Mercury Montego Premier. They were so loud it was almost dizzying. They dumped those at 20K miles and replaced them with Cooper CS4 Touring tires. The noise level was immediately reduced.

You will get used to the dash noise. I have been living with it for 27months/32K miles now and barely notice it anymore. However, now that the car is "older", I am trying to learn to live with all of the new rattles that are showing up in the dash, doors, windows, and suspension. It is really kind of depressing that these cars are not built to a higher standard. I have started casually shopping for a replacement vehicle, but not sure I want to deal with the hassle that goes along with car shopping. Having traded/purchased almost a dozen new cars in my life so far, it just gets really old and is not enjoyable.

My Impala goes in this week for a long list of things to be looked at. Hopefully the dealer will resolve them and make life with the Impala a little more enjoyable for the time being...although I am not excited about having to sink any money into a car with only 32K miles on it (front brake pads, four-wheel alignment, etc.) The warped front brake rotors and my steering issue, which I believe to be the infamous Intermediate Steering Shaft debacle, should be covered under warranty.

If I end up keeping the car, then before it hits 36K miles I need to get it in to have the popping seatback on the front passenger seat (for which GM has issued a service bulletin) fixed and the peeling exterior pillar trim pieces replaced under warranty. Plus, whatever else would crop up in the next 4,000 miles :mad:

As much as I am a GM fan, I will admit that the vehicles I am currently researching are not GM products. One vehicle is a domestic brand, the other 2 are import brands.
    In reply to those inquiring about the tires on my Lease Impala---yes--they ARE Integrity Goodyears---and they must be responsible for the noise----But the dealer would not even begin to think about replacing the tires---only if I were to pay dearly and I can't as I would not recover from the expense due to it being a lease car. I just will not buy another GM car at all. This is my last.
    The 3.5L engine is a good engine. The best way to determine if it is right for you, is to test drive the car you are interested in and drive in the conditions you would normally drive. Make sure it has the passing power you need, merging power, and acceleration requirements you are used to.

I find it to be more than adequate. I can easily spin the front wheels on dry and wet roads (my '06 does not have traction control...didn't want it).

The engine is quiet when cruising, and only makes itself known under heavy acceleration. Oh! Make sure you test it with the A/C engaged. The 3.5L does bog down slightly with the A/C on. Also, if you drive up hills regularly (or through mountain passes), make sure you test it on an uphill climb to make sure you would be happy.

I have also owned cars in the past with the 3.8L V6, and find the 3.5L to be a close match...although the 3.8L has a litttle more low-end "grunt".
    Many tire stores are allowing tire "trade-ins" where you can get an allowance towards new tires. If the noise is unbearable, or reaches the point where it is no longer tolerable, such a deal may be worth investigating. It would be important, however, to make sure the replacement tires would contribute to a solution to the the noise problem...and not be the same or worse. Another $500 over 30 months (or however long is left on your lease) averages out to $17 month. Might be worth it if it means some peace of mind.

From what I have read, and based on my personal experience, Impala owners tend to replace the Integrity tires around the 30K mile mark. That seems to be the point where their wet weather handling and ride/noise become intolerable. At 26K miles, I simply could not live with them anymore. They would have passed state inspection for another year, but my safety and sanity was more important than the price of the replacements. Don't be surprised if you need to put at least 2 new tires on your lease car before you give it back.