Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla vs. Mazda3 vs. Volkswagen Jetta vs. Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• jtk152jtk152 Posts: 139
    The sticker on my 2007 LS 4dr,AT, was $14640. I qualified for a $2000 rebate and a $500 "conquest" rebate.14640 - 2500= 12140. Which was the cash price. To complicate matters, I traded in our 2005 Trailblazer, which I owed some money on, but came out ahead in the trade in. All said and done, I got the Cobalt for just over $8K. I financed and put nothing down.

Joel
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I think you made the correct choice. The Mazda maybe the most stylish of the group but the Cobalt is very well rounded and will get better mileage than a Mazda which is probably the lowest in the group. The Cobalt has so many nice standard features and options that to me it stands out in the overall value catagory.
  • tpulaktpulak Posts: 43
    Whoooa!!! Standard A/C?? I mean, how many cars come without A/C!! I need A/C here, especially because of all these heat blazes in the summer. Also, I need to know which of these cars come standard with power windows, and power locks, in base trim.
    Yeah, the Mazda is quite a pit pricier. I got a price quote the other day, on a Mazda 3i, that had leather seats, and alloys, that costed me $17,490 final. But with a corolla, with was loaded with nothing(the plastic wheel covers where cheep looking!!), I got a deal of $15,380 final. I noticed, that the Toyota's options were so expensive! Like when I tried to opt for the alloy wheels, they said the price would have been around the 16,000 's. I did,'t want to go that far(with a toyota). I am still waiting for the prices of a chevy Cobalt, and , finally, for the Jetta, its outta mind. The only reason-- it costs tooo much for a compact sedan. I got a price on it for $19,855 final. So far , what do you people think of these prices?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Why does it matter whether features like A/C and power windows/locks come standard in base trim, if they are readily available as options? It's common for low-end cars like these (although Jetta is not really a "low-end car" compared to others) to be offered in a bare-bones "price leader" trim so that the automaker can advertise a low starting price. Then you have some low-end cars that don't offer standard A/C and/or power windows/locks on the base trim, but do offer important safety features like six airbags and even ABS as standard on all trims. Again, what is the big deal as long as the equipment you want is readily available?
    A final price for a Mazda3i with alloys and leather of $17.5k seems pretty reasonable (although it must have been custom leather, since the 3i doesn't offer leather as an option). The Jetta can be pretty reasonable if you get the base model with no options, but even that car is pretty well equipped for this class. I don't know what trim you were quoted on the Jetta for $20k, but it must have been an up-level trim. The base Jetta 2.5 S 6AT starts at around $18k invoice, add about $400 for 16" alloys. That Jetta quoted for $20k must be pretty well equipped!
  • I would look for a certified 2007 Impala with the 3.5 litre 6. I had a 2006 model and it consistantly got around 20 mpg in the city and 30-32 on the road. Why put up with a small 4cyl compact car when you can be more comfortable, get the same or better gas mileage and hold more people and luggage in an Impala for less money. A new Impala is throwing money down the drain considering that it depriciates 50% in the first year. Buying a 5-10k mile one for about $15k is worthwhile. Paying $23k for a new one like I did is stupid.
  • jtk152jtk152 Posts: 139
    I agree, a late model, low mileage Chevy Imp is an awesome buy. You get a lot of car for the money. We've got a few in the family. Problem is- you are not going to average ~30mpg per tank with an Impala unless it's nothing but a long steady hywy run. You'll average say 30mpg with a Cobalt and 25mpg per tank with an Imp. It adds up with gasoline the price it is.

Joel
    The Jetta was kinda equipped, with leather seats as well as alloys, but somehow, from the distance, it seemed like wheel covers.I really don't wanna spend 20k on a Jetta. Its not worth it. I also found a totally base Mazda 3i(it came with power windows, and locks, though i am not sure that's an option) for $14,500 total. But I saw a fully equipped used Mazda for $11,355 , and it only had 13,500 miles. The owner was a private guy, and he had no intention to make money. Everything was in good shape, with the exception of a small 1/2 inch scratch in the back fender. Sure it had plastic wheel covers, and fur seats, but it was better of than the corolla. Which deal is better? The Chevy a good deal, but I noticed some loose plastic trim pieces. And the plastic pieces were cheap too. Though this is a compact sedan, I would still want some quality stuff. :) For some reason, Mazda's trim pieces felt more quality.The gaps were so tight, I don't think a penny could go through the gaps. The corolla's quality was good too, but I noticed some inconsistent gaps, and some rough edges. In fact, I'm wearing a bandage now, as I am typing this sentence. I am surprised with the Jetta's build quality too. The materials were even better than the Mazda, but it had inconsistent gaps more than the Corolla had. I have a question: does the Mazda 3(in any trim) come with wood trim. I personally prefer wood trim (even fake) to metallic trim(the metallic trim is fake anyway). I own an Acura MDX, that has woodtrim, so I like the grand feel. I mean its kind of weird that the Corolla comes with fake woodtrim in LE, and that leads to a luxury like feel.
    Power windows/locks are an option to the 3i, or part of a trim package like the Touring package.

If you can wait awhile to buy, the 3 is getting a Touring VE package (kinda like that on the 6) in January. It's supposed to be like the Touring "plus" with 17" alloys, and I think standard safety package (side bags, ABS) plus some other goodies. If it's anything like the VE package on the 6, it will be quite a bargain.

The 2008 3i is supposed to have "zebra-pattern" wood trim standard--doesn't it? I recall it's a very dark grained plood, not your traditional orangeish plood. Looked quite tasteful (for plod).
  • I used to average at least 30 on the road in the Impala on trips from Clovis NM to Dallas. There were small towns and 2 lane and 4 lane roads. I normally went 70-72 except for 35 in the small towns and there was often heavy traffic and several lights between Jacksboro and I-820 in Ft. Worth. On steady freeway travel I would usually average 30-32. In town it was normally 19-22. I felt that a smoother ride and enough horsepower to pass someone as well as comfortable seating for 5 and plenty of luggage space outweighed the small difference in gas mileage. The Chevy Impala is a good all-around car. A Corolla isn't. It is simply too small. Another thing to factor in is the ridiculous dealer charge for the "15,000 mile checkup" and so on on Toyotas and Nissans. With the Chevy all that is done is to change the oil periodically. I did it at 3,000 miles - the book calls for 7500 as I recall. If you follow the book on Japanese car services it will cost much more than an American car will, out -weighing the gas savings.
  • I bought a Corolla CE with NO options, not even floor mats (about $50) and I find it well equipped. With HEPA filtered A/C, full instrumentation including tach, two trip gauges, and outside temp reading, remote control mirrors, rear defogger, ample interior lights, a CD player and push button AM/FM, trunk and hood lights, cable trunk and gas filler door release, large padded arm rest/storage, pockets in the doors, locking glove box, lumbar adjustable reclining bucket seats, lightly tinted glass, seven inch wide steel rims with 15" tires, and more even a CE comes well appointed.

The only option I even considered getting was the $550 power window and remote door lock upgrade pkg. but then I realized I could just reach the passenger door lock from the driver's seat. These are strictly convenience features. ABS brakes have gone up from $75 to $300 [different system?] and side airbags remain $660. Stability control compensates for those who steer the wrong way in a skid. You might need some or all of these safety options. I switched from a loaded Chrysler LHS and except for lack of a graphic sound equalizer find little difference in comfort or convenience. Despite the size difference, I have never felt crowded, quite the opposite, these seats are more supportive and comfortable (just not leather).

Competing models like the Kia Optima S are also well equipped. Mazda 3i's come loaded from Japan so you can't really compare them with low end Corollas, especially late in the calendar year. There were very few 5-speed 3i's in the SE US when I was buying last Dec. The closest price I could get was about $800 more for a non-touring Mazda 3i. It feels and drives like a mini BMW 3-Series, well worth the price if performance is an issue. If economy and reliability are priorities, you can't beat the Corolla for long term reliability, parts availability, and total cost of ownership. The best feature of the Corolla is that it cruises the interstate at 70, under 3,000 RPMs. I really do average nearly 40 MPG in suburban driving. After 5 years of refinements including roller bearing shifter and simplified rear shelf light in 2006, you can expect zero design defects on your new Corolla.
    The new chevy impala might be good. But I had bad experiences with it. Loose trim pieces falling apart, EGR valve replacement at only 5,000 miles(I don't know what this thingamajig even does, but the dealers said I had to replace it, and I had to never replace this thing in my camry) , spark plug replacement at only 15,000 miles, and a terrifying depreciation rate.(bought an impala 2006, for $26,250, sold it just over $17,000, with 15,670 miles). I mean in the gas part, its pretty good, but for the price, I might as well get a Honda, which gets more mpg, and a better reliability record.
    oh man. I liked the traditional real wood looking textures, that are reddish, to orange. I really don't like the dark grained textured thing, like my Acura TL S has. I'd rather have metallic trim.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    The problem with the new Impala (as opposed to the previous model -pre 2006) is that the gas mileage is a lot lower. We were averaging 28 mpg on the 2004 model vs. 24.5 on the 2007 model with the SAME driving mix.
  • So true. My Impala gets 32 mpg hwy consistently. (3.4L).
  • Ok, but do they have the same engine size? My 2004 has the smaller 3.4L.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    Both have 3.4L engines.
  • Chevy did not put any 3.4L engines in the 2007 Impala. Perhaps you bought yours used and the original engine was swapped?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    ...the Mazda3gets the same fuel economy as the Honda Civic EX. Mazda3 gets 30 overall vs the Honda at 31 overall. This is on their list of "Top 12 Gas Savers". Surprisingly, they Toyota Corolla is not on this list.