Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

I have an 06 does anybody hear whinning in transmission when get going tranny fluid is full truck has 68000. miles.
Thanks

Comments

• 145K total miles. I had major service 6K ago, including transmission flush. Dealership replaced leaking front differential pinion seal at that time. Occasionally the tranny has been a little balky or delayed about shifting into overdrive at highway speeds (70 & up). Last night, vehicle simply would not shift into overdrive above 65 mph. Pulled into gas station to check things out, found the tranny fluid was about 1.5 inches above the full mark and tranny fluid all over the bottom of the tranny case. After sitting about 10 minutes, there was a dinner-plate sized puddle of tranny fluid under the truck. Got towed back to the house. No fluid at all under the truck this morning. ???
  • the transmision on my 1997 pathfinder went and I took it to a garage and had a used one put in. When I picked up the vehicle I noticed it had a very bad vibration in it and after driving it about 30 km there was a loud bang and the transmission broke (no reverse) I took it back to the garage and they put another transmission in it . the car still vibrated and the mechanic never made a comment when I mentioned it . I took the car home and when driving to work he next morning the exact same thing happened. What is wrong here??? I can't afford to put yet another trasnmission in this car, I had to pay over 800$ in labour each time in addition to the transmission , what could be causing this to happen? I was not driving more than 70 km each time it broke.
  • The problem most likely(but not positive) lies with the cooler in the radiator not allowing adequate cooler flow...the garage should make sure that the flow is at the very least 1 quart per 20 seconds, if not it will damage the unit that is installed very quickly.
  • crh84dalcrh84dal Posts: 1
    I have a 95 pathfinder that the reverse just went out on. The rest of the gears work fine. I heard there maybe a band or belt (something that can be adjusted) that I can get to if i drop the pan. Does anyone know what I'm looking for and how to adjust it if there is one?
  • Hi all,

I am at wit's end. My brand new 2008 Path was doing fine for the first 2 months. However, for the past week, I have been experiencing the following problem:

1. Problem: Delay when shifting from Reverse to Drive on upward slope

When the vehicle is on a street that is sloped upward, and after backing up I shift from Reverse to Drive, the vehicle will continue to roll backward (downhill) as if it is in Neutral for a few moments before it changes to Drive.

2. Problem: Delay when shifting from Drive to Reverse on downward Slope

When the vehicle is on a street that is sloped downward, and after driving forward I shift from Drive to Reverse, the vehicle will continue to roll forward (downhill) as if it is in Neutral for a few moments before it changes to Reverse.

3. Problem: Delay when shifting from Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Drive

When the vehicle is on a street that is level and not sloped, and I shift from Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Drive, the vehicle may not roll due to the lack of a slope, but it will have a delay as if it is in Neutral for a few moments before it changes to Reverse or to Drive.

The mechanic at the dealership said that this issue is 100% normal and that his personal Pathfinder does the same thing. He says it was okay until now because it was not yet broken in.

Is it true that this is typical or is it in fact a transmission problem?

(note that once the gear is engaged there is no rollback, it is only in the first few moments after switching from Reverse to Drive or vice versa.)
  • esksesks Posts: 2
    Have a 2005 automatic pathfinder,97000Klm it seemed to be missing at about 80KPH or chugging when shifting into 4th gear. I just went to dealer and found out that the radiator is leaking into my transmission causing the trany to slip and I will have to replace rad and flush trany with Nissan J Matic fluid (no other type will work- very expensive) possibly up to 3 times Bill C$2000+. Has anyone else run into this problem and is there any other solutions less costly. Is there any possibility that once fixed the trany could be damaged and I will then have to spend additional $$ to replace?
    Thanks
  • same thing happened, supposedly changed transmission, but now 25K miles later at a small local shop in Los angeles, california, tranny shifts are into 2nd into 1st, some times get stuck in 3rd/ 4th gear..

also when i restart, it shifts normal for a day or 2...

i had the IDPM controller changed right after this, nothing but trouble, warranyts out,
    $700, caused the car not to start or stall after 5 mins

i ihave over 112k miles.. [non-permissible content removed]..
  • My 93 pathfinder has no third gear. (Shifting) 1st, then second, then when third is supposed to hit, it just free wheels. I built the transmission under two years ago, I really doubt it's the clutch packs. Any ideas? Because I really don't want to have to pull it out again! It's four wheel drive and a total pain in the @$%! :mad:
  • This also just happened to my 2005 Pathfinder with 50k mi. I'm having the transmission rebuilt and radiator replaced for almost $3000. Dealer said not under warrenty and wanted $6-8K to replace transmission. Icalled Nissan USA and after making me wait 2 days, they said I was SOL. Earlier this year I had to have the fuel sensor in the gas tank replaced too. Total piece of crap. My first and last Nissan.
  • TarpedTarped Posts: 1
    I have 05 pathfinder with 85,000 miles and it is vibrating and stuttering on shifts around 45 -55 mph and 2000rpms. The tach jumps and around and if you back off throttle it will make the shift. I've been told 3rd gear is the weak point in these trannys but your comments and others about radiator leak into tranny fluid concern me as well. What was the outcome of your radiator fix and change of tran fluid.

Thanks
  • Before you start worrying yourself over the transmission, It might be your TPS, that is the throttle positioning sensor. Comes off with two tiny screws. Real easy to get to. If you have an ohm meter you can actually test it first. See how much one costs, might be worth it to change it anyway. And third gear? Yeah, I have my transmission out right now for third gear. Oh well, at least I can do it myself! Good luck!
    David
  • almattialmatti Posts: 164
    I did the complete 4WD service: change the tranny fluid, filter, all the differential oils [there are 3 of them], at 60k. I have 113k now. Time to do it again?. I do notice lately a slight "delay" when shifting into drive from reverse. How many people use the OD off when driving around town?
  • esksesks Posts: 2
    Well , it was the rad leaking into the transmission and after spending $2300 to have the rad changed and the transmission flushed with the Nissan fluid (took over $800 worth of fluid to clean)I got it back and it still was slipping slightly so the Dealer worked with Nissian and they replaced my Transmission under warranty (amazing) and the dealer refunded me $600 of the $2300 I spent. Every thing seems to be fine now. Truck is running real nice. If anyone has this problem get your dealer to approach Nissian for you and see what they can do. I was probably just fortunate that I have been dealing with the dealer for a while and have another Nissan that I take there as well which may have worked in my favor. Good luck
  • My wifes 2006 Pathfinder makes a clinking noise when she transfers from 2WD to 4H but no noise in Auto. Am I looking at replacing the entire transfer case? Or replace a part or 2 in the case? Have not taken SUV into shop as yet. Any input would be appreciated. jb
  • xtierraxtierra Posts: 55
    thanks for posting your problem... this will help other owners check their tranny fluid all the time to avoid going thorugh that problem.... dealer should have re-funded all of your money since its a problem with a batch of radiators that where installed on the 2005 models.... you might want to write a letter to nissan and see what they say... remember .. they are not going to offer any re-fund untill they get a certified notarized letter that will cause them to want to avoid any legal matters in court....
  • Just remember auto is only for when the computer senses a slip in the rear and at that point it will engage the 4wd. When you select 4h you are actually engaging 4wd until you un-select it, auto is just a nice feature for when you are driving in conditions where it's not always slippery that way you aren't running your 4wd on a non-slick surface b/c that can damage your x-fer case and such. I don't think you have a problem unless you meant something else in your post.
  • I just got my quote back from Nissan for $4,500.00 for a new tranny + tax and labor of course. 3 months ago I had the radiator replaced for around $1,000.00. It is the '05 Pathfinder with just over 104,000 on it. So much for thinking that I would get 200K out of it without any problems. It was making the same studdering and shifting vibrations prior to replacing the radiator that others have described in here to the T. We also had the tranny flushed and all fluids replaced. Nissan dealer recommended another round of cleansing if we noticed it again. Well, I'm noticing it alright and my wallet is now making the shuddering noises. My wife is an attorney so, I'll let you know how this one rolls out. It's her car and she is not gonna be happy about it....No she won't.
  • almattialmatti Posts: 164
    jbaumer: Don't fool around with this. See my earlier inquiry to this forum. I delayed checking the 4WD system fluids and in fact should have had the entire drivetrain inspected - sure enough last week, 1st week of March, my 2001 Pathy LE 4WD with 113k miles comes up with a serious vibration. Been to 3 different shops and Dealers. First diganosis : Transfer case damage (infiniti Dealer + a long laundry list of other things); another mechanic says U joints and driveshaft - maybe xfer Case; third mechanic: could be U joints BUT xfer Case noise was detected too. I've posted the problem another thread. The vibration is only really detected at 45+ mph, its smoother at 70 mph but still vibrates, then the vibration increases again 60-45 mph, then totally smooth as soon as you hit 40 or below??. Can't get a straight accurate answer. I'm not about to go spending all sorts of $$$ to "experiment" with various part changes. IMO, Change those fluids: x-er case oil, center & rear diff fluids; tranny fluid and filter... remember too they MUST speciifc Nissan Fluids!! No more TRUCKS for me, you don't need them anyway, unless you are a True Off-Roader.
  • buyamericnnow

I'm with you! Thought Nissans were supposed to last! I have a 2005 Pathfinder, 93,000. Currently in the shop. Just found out that radiator fluid leaked into the transmission. Since it was internal there were no warning signs that anything was wrong. Transmission rusted out. Now I am replacing the transmission and radiator at a cost of $3,7000.
  • xtierra,

How did you hear that there was a problem with a batch of radiators installed on 2005 models? I would love to get this information to see if I can pursue any kind of refund from Nissan. I'm replacing my transmission and radiator for a cost of $3,700 on my 2005 Pathfinder for fluid leaking from the radiator into the transmission. Rusted the wrong thing. No warning signs this was even happening until it was to late.