Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• gharpmangharpman Posts: 88
    Call Nissan North America and be forceful. Forget the mileage. It's their error.

The coolant leaks through the trans cooler into the tran. And the trans fluid follows the reverse path to the radiator. Repairs can run between $5000 and 7000 without Nissan's intervention. I just contacted one of the local Tv stations' News Dept. and told them about the problem and thatn there should be a recall.

Here's the e-mail. Maybe you can use some of it to contact your local Tv station.

Nissan is trying to ignore and cover up an important problem with their 2005 Pathfinders (could also be some 2006's involved).
    They got a bad batch of radiators,installed them during assembly, and the result has been leaking of coolant from the radiator to the transmission and corresponding leakage of tran fluid in to the radiator, rendering both and all possibly, delivery components (hoses) damaged. The first sign of this problem is a vibration in the rear of the vehicle, especially on the highway. The end result could be radiator and/or transmission failure. There are over 26 pages of complaints and stories on Edmunds.com -Nissan Transmission problems (here's a sample)) http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f177b6c?displayRecent.

The out-of-warranty repair costs between $5000 and $7000. Some disreputable dealers (as described on the Edmunds site) replace other parts and milk their customers.

I had the problem. I had felt the vibration. Because of my background with cars, I suspected it was the transmission. Coincidentally, I went to my dealer, Hackensack Nissan, for a cooling system service. Upon completion, they told me that they found trans fluid in my radiator while they were doing the service. I called Pat Barrett Transmission (who I use for various repairs) and they told me about the extent of the problem and told me to have the trans and radiator replaced along with the hoses if needed. They also said that my trans should be covered under the vehicles Power Train Warranty.

I went back to Hackensack Nissan who said they would work with me on the problem. I then called Nissan North America. Initially, Nissan said that the trans, but not the radiator was covered by the warranty. I told them that there was a synergistic effect present. The leaking radiator caused the trans and radiator problems. After several phone calls, they said thet they would replace both parts, but I would have to pay $450 - half of the dealers labor charge from Nissan. I also would get the money back if there was an official recall on the problem. I agreed to the settlement, since there was no better alternative. Hackensack Nissan was agreeable all the way and did a careful and excellent job replacing the parts, testing the vehicle and returning it to me. The entire process took about 2 weeks from diagnosis, only because I was relentless. I have to add that a big factor in Nissan N.A.'s decision was that I only had 39,000 miles on the vehicle. I have to commend Hackensack Nissan and Pat Barrett Transmission for their help in resolving my problem.

As noted in The Edmunds Forum, there are many customers who have not faired as well. It seems that mileage is an important factor in Nissan's decision. And even then, they have held back from helping customers on this and other issues such as fuel guage malfunction,etc.

If you read any or all of the pages relating to this topic on The Edmunds Forum, you will see an underlying or maybe overt reluctance on Nissan's part to correct this problem. Once again, an auto manufacturer is hiding its head in the sand hoping to not get caught and have to spend millions to right a problem. So much for "Good Will."

Thanks for your time.
  • Does anybody have any VIN nymber correlation to the Transmission problems? I have an '05 manuf. in 3/05. I replaced my rear ujoint at about 80,000 miles and thought that was odd. Then I got to digging around on the internet and I cant help but think that the reason it went bad is because of water in tranny.....Not sure though. Everything else seems ok.....Should I bypass that cooler and add an aftermarket one? I feel like I am going to vommit.....
    your pathfinder has two trans coolers. you can reverse the hoses on one which acts as a bypass. If you live in NJ, Pat Barrett transmissions in westood can do it. they are the best. honest and skillful;or find a knowledgeable dealer/mechanic that understands the hookups and can do the job. good luck
  • 99accent99accent Posts: 232
    edited April 2010
    SHOULD AN EARLYER MODEL HAVE THIS PROBLEM, THIS TRANNY REPLACEMENT PROBLEM IS GOT ME UP IN ARM'S, DOES THIS HAPPEN ON A 2001 THROUGH A 2004? PATHFINDER,
    someone mentioned that they had trans problem on 2003.
  • audhamaudham Posts: 31
    Our 2005 Pathfinder is also at Nissan in their service shop "waiting" for disposition from NISSAN NA since 4/6/2010. Would you be willing to share your dealer name and location?

I hope so :]

Waiting patiently in SoCal :shades:
  • mtcamaramtcamara Posts: 2
    Well my advice would be to try for the service shop to honor a warranty on the trans through Nissan and then you pay for the radiator. Apparently this is the unofficial way they are dealing with the problem here in PR. The way I see it is that I pay for about $400 on a new radiator and save $3,000+ on the trans., legal fees,etc. The dealership would probably not help as much. Good Luck! :cry: I do not expect to have my car for the next 3 weeks! ">
    dealer Hackensack Nissan, Hackensack NJ
  • audhamaudham Posts: 31
    edited April 2010
    PR as in Puerto Rico? Dang!! This is getting CRAZY!!! Let's see how much of the of the United States (and territories) we can cover with this problem.

CALIFORNIA (Southern) CHECKING IN √
    NEW JERSEY √
  • stacy20stacy20 Posts: 15
    My dealer is in Northern Indiana. They weren't any help, it was a Nissan NA manager who finally agreed to cover the costs (including the radiator - so keep on them bc for some unknown reason to me they covered both). I just got it back and seriously, the air conditioning doesn't work. I wish I was joking. UGH!!! This car is going to be the death of me. HATE it!!
  • Where did you purchase the transmission for your pathfinder?
    My Nissan Dealer got and installed it.
  • suxtbmesuxtbme Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    Just bought our 2006 Pathfinder in Nov. 09, had 120,000 miles on it. Purchased privately. The guy kept it meticulous, all maintainance records. High miles due to his employment. Well- @127,000 miles a rumble starts to occur around 40-45 mph, also notices rumbles mostly in overdrive when torque converter locks in and when unlocks. I started to notice this about a month ago. My wife drives it 99% of time. Well this week she explained that it's not shifting correctly. Well now I really suspect something, going on. I pulled the dipstick out and low and behold it looks milky, not at all the nice red even slightly brown red, just plain milky brownish red. As any backyard mechanic would realize oh S#$T! I popped the radiator cap and found the anti-freeze amazingly similar in color as the tranny fluid. Well I got on computer, typed in 06 Nissan Parthfinder tranny problems and here I am. I really thought Nissan made a good quality product. We've owned mostly Honda's for cars and GM products for Trucks and SUV's. So this was our first test. I am afraid we need a new tranny which we really can't afford. I know the thing is out of warranty, but geez this is ridiculous. This is such a cover up by Nissan. I don't understand how not replacing radiators isn't cheaper than the lawsuits to come if they don't just fess up about the defect.

Well, it's in the shop right now, but looking at everyones e-mails with similar issues, things don't look good. It's a good thing we still have our 97 Honda with 270,000 miles. I will do my best to get the word out to friends, family, BBB, Nissan, and who ever else will listen. :sick: :cry: :( :mad: :lemon:
    Same problem but with 06 Pathfinder, has 127,000 miles. See post #300.
    Have an 06 with 127,000 miles. Same problem occured with radiator/tranny fluid mixing. See post 300.
  • condrenvcondrenv Posts: 9
    Do us all a favor and call Nissian Corp. and report it. The more people that complain the better off we are. Not only do have the tranny problem I have a bad fuel sensor they wont fix for $500 and had to replace catalic converter . We have a Toyota with 250,000 miles that never needed any major work. This is a disgrace to say the least.
  • elfman1elfman1 Posts: 1
    I had the fuel gauge issue at 60K and it was fixed under warranty. In Jan 2010 my check engine light goes on and its both cady converters at 81K (1000 miles out of warranty), that's an expensive repair btw, then in April I get hit with the dreaded "coolant destroying the tranny" problem. Thank God I paid for the extended warranty.....so it was all covered. But my check engine light goes on again the day after I get it back from dealer and I am told that its one of the cady converters AGAIN!
    I love how this car drives and all, but I cannot keep shelling out time, money and emotional energy. I don't think I have any choice but to sell it and move on from Nissan. It is going to take a lot to get me to buy a Nissan again after all this.
    I do not know much about cars.....can the CC issue be caused by a bad fuel sensor or something else that might not show up on the computer????
  • i just purchased a 1994 pathfinder 4x4 and need to know what process if any should i do to tow it with a tow bar behind my rv
  • grimglgrimgl Posts: 1
    having transmission trouble, 68k miles no warranty, will Nissan cover the fix?
    Not unless you kick their [non-permissible content removed]!!!!!!!!!!!!!