Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• sosenskysosensky Posts: 7
    Thanks Imac. I read your post. I have filed a complaint with Nissan NA. Again, they are making me jump through all the hoops - which I must do so it cannot argue that I didn't exhaust my remedies. Then if I don't get my way, I will sue the dealership and Nissan NA for the reasons I stated. I love my Pathfinder, except for the transmission problem and the money I have spent on the defective parts. I am a loyal customer having bought 2 new cars at the dealership and have them serviced there too. So, I am expecting a happy ending. If not, I am ready to give it right back. Stay tuned. Good luck to everyone else. Regards, Steven.
  • audhamaudham Posts: 31
    edited May 2010
    WOW! It's good to see another SoCal person on this list. We were actually in Simi headed towards Ventura when the really bad noticeable symptoms started.

I was starting to think I was the only one out here but I knew I couldn't be!! AND I got confirmation on 5/22 from the Nissan dealer in Valencia that they have had one in there with of course the exact same problem (coolant leaked into the transmission).

BE SURE TO GO LOOK AT MESSAGE #339! THIS HAS ALL THE LAWYER INFO! We need EVERYONE who falls into this specific category. ESPECIALLY IF YOUR CAR WAS STILL UNDER THE 60,000mi WARRANTY PERIOD.
    Had the 2005 Pathfinder diagnosed the other day, which Nissan made me pay for. Imagine. Remember, Nissan made me pay for the what must be famous now transmission flush, $500, a month ago which it knew wouldn't resolve the problem. Well, surprise, surprise, the recent diagnosis shows the radiator leaked fluid into the transmission which fouled it out. The dealer told me yesterday the radiator and transmission need replacement, and that he got me a good deal on a aftermarket radiator and a rebuilt transmission. I told the dealer to tell that to Nissan NA and gave the name and telephone of the person dealing with my complaint. They will make a decision on Friday. Don't let the dealer pull the warranty [non-permissible content removed] with you. Everyone knows the problem takes a while to manifest and it's a manuf. defect in the radiator - if any of this can even be believed (perhaps both the radiator and transmission were defective on manuf.). Remember too that I am a loyal customer (purch. 2 new cars from the dealer and had them both serviced there). Looking for refund of the charges I paid for the defective fuel guage replacement, $400, the bogus radiator flush, $500, and the 2 bogus diagnosis charges, $95 ea., plus replacement radiator and transmission. Let's see what Nissan decides on Friday. Good luck everyone else. Steven.
  • lmac2005lmac2005 Posts: 4
    In my prior post I left out a very important piece of information that our transmission mechanic told us. He said that if everyone who has the coolant defect leak problem has their local Nissan dealership do the repairs, they will use parts that might fail again. We are looking for the right attorney to file a class action suit for all of us that have been ripped off by Nissan whether we had to pay the dealership for the repairs OR if we had our cars repaired by an independent auto transmission shop. In our case there was NO WAY we were going to let Nissan repair our car and have it happen again.

Also, all of us should be contacting the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration to file a formal complaint because we were told that the N.H.T.S.A. monitors auto websites like Edmunds, etc. to keep abreast of problems that people are reporting about their vehicles, and if they find enough evidence, they are the governmental agency that issues MANDATORY RECALLS. I'm afraid that if we all wait for Nissan to call a VOLUNTARY RECALL, they never will. I wonder how many employees of Nissan have had their Pathfinders fail on them? :)
  • gharpmangharpman Posts: 88
    For all of you out there with the Pathfinder Radiator/Trans problem, here is the ling at the NHTSA to report the problem,

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/preview.cfm?tostep=4&CFID=14416637&CFTOKEN=88- 973776

If you have trouble try: www.nhtsa.gov and go to Defects and Recalls. Fill out the form and submit.

Good Luck.

Musically,

Gary
  • mslita01mslita01 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder I have both problems with the gas gauge and the transmission. I took it in to my local nissan dealer and they did a diagnostic test on it and told me that my transmission had to be replaced and it would be in excess of about $7,000 - $8,000 dollars.

Since this wasn't in my budget I got it home to a well known and honest mechanic i knew and let him took a look at it come to find out my gears were burnt out, radiator was bust and water was in the transmission. The only thing the dealership informed me of was the gears being burnt out and water in the transmission, which meant if i had went ahead and replaced the transmission I would have still had a busted radiator.

I contacted Nissan corporation and complained about both of my problems but off course my car wasn't on the issued recall for the gas gauge and they would not accept responsibility for either problem. So what I'm in the process of doing right now is contact Good Morning Americana and putting my story out their for my and all the rest of the consumers who are having this problem.

If we all can contact them something can and will be done about this :lemon: :mad:
  • luckyducluckyduc Posts: 17
    I have a 2006 Pathfinder with 44K miles on it and it too is shuttering above 40mph. I highly suspect that I too have the same issue with the radiator leaking into the tranny. I'll be taking it to a dealer this week to see what they have to say. I must say that this is a MAJOR issue that warrants a recall considering the number of people having the same EXPENSIVE problem. All vehicles are going to have some problems, but a NEW tranny and radiator after only 44k miles is ridiculous! If Nissan does not do right by me I will never buy another one, For those of you who are getting new radiators and trannys... Did they actually fix the issue, or just install the same defective components that will most likely fail again down the road?
  • lmac2005lmac2005 Posts: 4
    How do we start a Class Action Suit?? With so many unhappy Pathfinder owners out there, all we need is legal advice to start the gears in motion !!
  • stevlllstevlll Posts: 5
    How did it go?

In Canada, Nissan has totally abandoned me even though I have two years left on the warranty. Problem is still there. I got a new rad, but the transmission is doing the same thing, albeit not as bad. I dropped the transmission pan and had the fluid checked - water and glycol is still in there. I have now notified them that I am getting quotes to fix externally (transmission needs an overhaul at the very least), and then we go to court.

I think that this problem is widespread. It takes time to pinpoint the problem, it starts out as a subtle one and then grows, so it is easy to miss. Then the flush buys Nissan time. I asked one guy in a parking lot last weekend, he had the same problem. He just did not know how serious it was - he has had a couple of flushes etc etc., just did not think about it This guy was Nissan's dream customer. I explained what water and glycol does to transmissions - he got it.

Nissan hopes that everything will stay quiet while the warranties run out, it is a race against time. Get the word out to anyone who wil listen.
  • gharpmangharpman Posts: 88
    contact this legal firm. they are in the process of a class action. fill out the form and sulmit.

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/offices.htm
    2005 Pathfinder. So, Friday I get a call from Nissan NA telling me that they got the diagnosis (radiator is bad and leaked into tranmission fouling it out). Remember, the dealter upon relaying that to me told me that they could get me a remanuf. tranny and an after market radiator. That's when I told dealter to tell that to Nissan.)Rep told me that Nissan needed more time to decide what to do with me. I am demanding replacement tranny and radiator, and refund of tranny flush, 2 diagnosis charges, and the fuel guage replacement. I asked Nissan to hurry because I was driving a truck that I thought wasn't operating properly. I am jumping through all the hoops and being patient. Let's see what happens with me. Thanks for your interest, and good luck with everyone else. Steven.
  • luckyducluckyduc Posts: 17
    Thanks for the update Steven. Please keep us posted.
  • We too are having the same issue with our 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with 66,000 miles. It has been at the Nissan dealership for almost 2 weeks while we wait to see if Nissan will cover the new radiator and transmission. We were promised an answer last week and we are still waiting...... The dealership said the cost is $5900. We too brought it in 2 months ago because the transmission was acting up. The dealership said a radiator flush would solve the problem.....

Lets hope Nissan will value it's customers and take care of their problem!
    edited June 2010
    6/1/2010 ** CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IN PROGRESS **

PLEASE PEOPLE > GO TO THIS SITE AND FILL OUT THE FORM!!

UPDATE FROM LAWYER SINCE MESSAGE #338**

They have set up investigation pages specifically for the 2005 Pathfinder
    problems, and have asked people who email him to use these pages
    to provide basic info. The links are:

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/defects/pathfinder.php
    http://www.lieffcabraser.com/contact/contact-pathfinder.htm

In order to make sure there database is complete please provide the
    requested info on the online form.

Please provide these links to anyone who would be interested in contacting us about these problems.

THANK YOU!!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    If you think you have a warranty claim against Nissan, you may want to first try for a free or cheap consultation with a local lawyer to see what options you may have.

A case in which the only winners are lawyers (MSNBC)

Congress did change the law in 2005 to require independent review of "coupon settlements" but you may still do better negotiating by yourself before joining a class action suit. Lots of small claims courts have limits of $5,000 or more, which may be enough to cover most of a fix if you have time and energy to go that route.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Sabowman, it sounds like we, together with many others, have very similar situations. I am still waiting too. Been waiting 3 business days since I heard from my rep at Nissan NA telling me that she was waiting for word from above. That call coming about 3 days after a call informing me that Nissan NA received the diagnosis from the dealer of the radiator failure and resultant transmission problem. To paint the picture further, like you, the dealer sold me a transmission flush months ago as a "first step" on the way to diagnosing the problem. I was never informed of radiator failure leading to the fouling of the transmission fluid. The dealer has been servicing the vehicle since it's new and never told me to keep an eye on this or advised me that it was keeping an eye on this - as if all this were rare, unrecurring, not deserving of mention. Is Nissan NA trying to profit from this by just selling owners maintenance, radiators/transmissions? I am just jumping through hoops now until I get the answer I deserve. I won't wait 2 weeks though. Good luck, and keep me posted. Steven.
  • 99accent99accent Posts: 232
    :shades: let me ask everyone something , does this transmission radiator failure ,only apply to 2005-2006 pathfinders, or any of there cars with the same motor ,or prior to 2005 or after 2006 pathfinder's ? ,thanks just checking the information on this matter?
  • sstanisstani Posts: 11
    I have just found this information on the edmunds.com site about other people and their problem with transmission on 2005 Pathfinder. We have the same problem. 6 months ago our car just quit on us when we were driving and stopped at a light. We found out the coolant had got into the transmission and the Nissan dealer said we needed a new transmission, radiator , like $6000!! we took it to another car repair shop and he was trying to find a rebuilt transmission but cannot, so he has been trying to replace transmission 'parts', we still do not have our car working! I submitted my complaint to the lieff cabraser website today. Does anyone have any information about the status of what the lawyers can do for us on this situation?
  • chopin3chopin3 Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2005 Pathfinder! Leaking coolant fluid into the transmission. $5200.00 dollars in repairs! And to top it off, the fuel sensor is gone! They have to drop the gas tank and replace it! $600.00!!
    I had to have to transmission rebuilt by a shop! I couldn't believe it! I'm hoping for a class action suit!
    edited June 2010
    I would say this transmission/radiator failure issue does in fact only apply to the redesigned 2005 (or newer) Pathfinder models. I believe when they changed the design (which I love!) they messed up BIG TIME under the hood.

And there is a very strong possibility that this applies to the newer Titan trucks that have the exact same design. I think there are already posts on this forum that have indicated exactly that.

** CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IN PROGRESS **

PLEASE PEOPLE > GO TO THIS SITE AND FILL OUT THE FORM!!

UPDATE FROM LAWYER SINCE MESSAGE #338**

They have set up investigation pages specifically for the `05 and newer Pathfinder
    problems, and have asked people who email him to use these pages
    to provide basic info. The links are:

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/defects/pathfinder.php

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/contact/contact-pathfinder.htm

In order to make sure there database is complete please provide the
    requested info on the online form.

Please provide these links to anyone who would be interested in contacting us about these problems.

THANK YOU!!