Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• raygoraygo Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    Heard from Nissan, they basicly said "tuff luck" I may have to park the car outside the dealership with a sign on it telling people not to buy Nissan! Totally at a loss.
  • showlarshowlar Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how the radiator problem can be prevented? Is it just as simple as buying a new radiator and installing it? This is because i recently purchased a used NP 2005 on 56k mileage and i am unsure if this problem has been fixed in the car. I dont want to experience this costly problem. Pls help!!!
  • gharpmangharpman Posts: 88
    If trans is OK. You have to change the radiator and have them reverse the cooler hoses when they do it.
  • The easiest and cheapest way to prevent this is to have an independent garage install an aftermarket transmission cooler. Transmission lines go to the new cooler. Zero chance of mixing fluid. Probably $100 to $200 max. Problem solved. Now if only Nissan thought of that....
  • toolgodtoolgod Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
  • klpmomof3klpmomof3 Posts: 2
    i have an 05 path as well with a similar problem. about a month ago truck started bucking and stuttering while going over 60 mph, then about 2 weeks ago did it more often at at slower speeds, told hubby somethings wrong with trans, took to aamco said nothing wrong, i drive the truck everyday toting 3 kids around i knew something was wrong, went on this forum and discovered other owner with same issue, finally got stuck around the block from kids school last week, told hubby what i found out on here, we took back to aamco and sure enough the radiator fluid leaked into trans, no nissan coverage as we are at 95,000 miles, but we have geico insurance and have mechanical breakdown insurance thru them up to 100,000 miles with a $250 deduc. aamco has to replace rad and trans
  • toolgodtoolgod Posts: 2
    Thanks but your problems will only start and get worse with AAMCO thats who flushed the trans at 81K it now has 92K and thats not all I would never use a chain store for a major componit like a trans. The warranty co. will pay but no transmissions are in stock in the USA. PS: I sell tools to alot of chain stores and Thier are some good mechs. but mostly parts changers
  • angileyzangileyz Posts: 4
    On a week-end trip my Pathfinder did the shaky thing and from time to time would do some strange movement between 40-60mph... ditched the car and bought a Chevy Tahoe... never thought I would buy American made unless it was pre 70 but I did...I had enough! :shades:
    I wish Nissan stood behind their vehilces. Then I could back up and run over them. I went thru a lot of crap to get mine repaired and get my $$$ back.

No more Nissans. Lookin' at Hyundai or GM Acadia SUV. First though, I want to find out how they stand behind their vehicles.
  • santonio1santonio1 Posts: 18
    Well here is an update...I had the driveshaft and u joint replaced for the clicking noise in front end and the vibration complaint that i explained to tech when i brought it in. He assured me that it was the tolerance in the u joint that made the vibration at about 40 50 mph...So I called Nissan and explained the driveshaft and UJ were replaced and it was just over the 60 k drivetrain warranty...Well after a week of investigating , they gave me my money back for that portion of the job, approx. $650. So i drove it and imediately realized that it was not right, although the ticking noise in the front end was gone. I assumed that the driveshaft was bad cause of that, but i knew the tranny was still not shafting correctly. So i waited till i got the money back in two weeks. I went back to dealer whe i had a chance this week and dropped it off...I waited till the end of day to call and they had to locate the paperwork and call me back..SO the service advisor says that it need a radiator! I said so does that mean it needs a tranny too??
    He say the lady behind him was saying Yes it does... I said oh ok, well how long is it going to take to get the parts? He said about three weeks..I said well can I get a rental car?? he said he would find out and call me back...15 minutes later he calls back and says no they will not give me a rental car..So i said well i am concerned it will die on the raod and i will be stranded, and I said can i talk the the service manager...he said he would call me back. So I had a beer and waited for the call..Bruce called me and told me that it needed the radiator and tranny but they would not give me the rental car...I said how did you determine it was defective??? did u see a mixing in the fluids?? he said no the didn't see the mixing, but they knew they should just shotgun it and change it because they know it is a rampant problem! The tech told me two weeks ago that that he had only seen one other vehicle in there for the radiator and tranny, but he knew it took 3 weeks to get the parts. I asked him if i could drive it and he said its "not that bad yet" and just don't go on a long trip...I said i can't do that know it could die on me anytime...I pleaded my case but he would authorize a rental, so i am driving it the way it is, hoping the parts come in sooner...I asked if it would cst me anything and he said NO...I have a claim open with Nissan now, but not sure what good it would do calling that person since it is being covered under warranty..
  • klpmomof3klpmomof3 Posts: 2
    OMG!! I wish i had read your reply sooner about AAMCO. After they rebuilt trans and replaced rad, I got the truck back last Fri 5/20. On Sat. drove to Long Island to visit parents, truck was driving a differently thought it was cuz its been in shop for a week, then on Sun hubby drove 45 min to an event for our son and asked me if the truck was vibrating, said it shouldn't be. Took truck back to AAMCO this Wed 5/26 they said it looks like its driveshaft and to bring it back in next week, ugh!!!!! Cant take it anymore, hubby and I are trying to figure out what to do at this point....any suggestions?????
  • angileyzangileyz Posts: 4
    Ditch the car as fast as you can! Once the problems start they don't seem to stop.
    This is why i used dealer cause at least you can go back to them if something wrong and they have to fix it or show you some mercy if its something else, then call Nissan America and complain...I got money back for the driveshaft repair...
    (They ( the dealer) told me the front universal joint fails causing the front driveshaft weights to fall off, making a virbration, but i'm not sure if i felt that from those problem since i always had the tranny shifting problem.)
  • There is an extended warrentee due to the extensive known problem involving the radiator and ultimately the transmission and causing both to need replacement. http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiator/faqs.php?menu=22

My husband and I, and 100s if not 1000s are hoping for a recall. We are not only going to pay $6000.00 for replacement of both on a Pathfinder we've owned less then one year. On top of that, like so many others, we have to wait several weeks for the transimission to arrive so our beloved NP sits at Nissan while we continue to make payments to the bank and eventually hand over $5994.00 to Nissan for a problem they've known about for some time.
    I think the warrany ext is for vehicles with 80,00 miles or less. what's your mileage?
  • I started having shifting issues in my '05 Pathfinder back in February and have had it in the shop three times. I have replace sender units and such and finally the dx of the radiator and transmission issue. Of course Nissan USA is of no help nor are their customer relations team.

This radiator issue for Nissan was not a matter of *if* it was going to happen however it was *when*. The lame attempt at extending the radiator warranty to 80K miles was a ploy to look like good guys. However this attempt failed as the issue is mostly found between 85-90+K miles, not 80K. I have always had my Pathfinder serviced at Nissan and of course the service reps are trying to be good corporate citizens and never brought up a potential issue with my radiator. I get how it works- it's business. However Nissan does not get how I work.

I did not misuse my vehicle and cause this 6K dollar repair that is about to happen. At 90K miles I should never need a new transmission that is a result of poor manufacturing on the behalf of Nissan. Nissan could have gotten out front on this issue and had a simple radiator recall preventing the transmission damage. Those chose not to and also chose to ignore their owners who bought their brand in the first place. I will never ever drive or recommend a Nissan to anyone ever again. They do not believe in customer loyalty or standing up to their mistakes.

This entire Nissan USA experience has been a nightmare. The Customer Relations team is hostile and is apparently trained to lie to customers on the phone. Astonishingly the customer relations team do not know their supervisors phone extension numbers or the name of the EVP that runs the department. Staggering the place is still in business.

I will be pursuing this through every angle I can through my States Attorney and the BBB. If anyone else hears about a class action suit being formed please post. The link from 2010 is not longer available and does not appear to be active.

For potential buyers of Nissan products and specifically Pathfinder. Don't do it. Nissan doesn't believe in you, your needs, your safety, or the importance of doing right by its customers. You can find a better brand that comes with better customer relations.
  • luckyducluckyduc Posts: 17
    Does anyone know if the transmissions are still on back order?
    AMEN!!

HERE'S A LETTER I'M SENDIN TO NISSAN AND ALL NETWORKS ETC.

DEAR NISSAN EXECS:

I’M WRITING THIS LETER TO YOU AS A CATHARSIS FOR ME.

MY FAMILY HAS OWNED FOUR VARIOUS NISSAN MODELS OVER THE PAST 15 YEARS. MY LAST TWO WERE 1998 AND 2005 PATHFINDERS.
    BOTH VEHICLES HAD EXTREME PROBLEMS. THE 1998 REQUIRED TWO AND ONE/HALF TRANSMISSIONS BEFORE I HIT 5500 MILES. I WAS THE ONE WHO SPEARHEADED THE PROCESS.

FIRST I WAS TOLD BY THE “TECH SERVICE MANAGER”, AT MY FIRST NISSAN DEALER THAT MY 1998 PATHFINDER (MANUAL TRANS.) WAS SUPPOSED TO GRIND WHEN SHIFTING TO THIRD GEAR. SINCE I WAS A MECHANIC IN THE ARMY, I KNEW THAT HE WAS EITHER NAÏVE OR CRAZY.

THIS LED TO ME SWITCHING DEALERS. THE SECOND DEALER TRIED EVERY TRANS FLUID KNOW TO MAN AND CHANGED MY TRANS 3 TIMES IN THE PROCESS. I ENDED UP CALLING NISSAN NORTH AMERICA AND ASKED ABOUT THE TRANS FLUID USED IN JAPAN. I WAS ADVISED THAT THE 90 WEIGHT IN JAPAN WAS DIFFERENT FROM THE 90 WEIGHT HERE.

MY DEALER COULDN’T GET ANY, BUT I MANAGED TO HAVE NISSAN SHIP A DRUM OF IT TO MY DEALER. THE LAST PHASE WAS THAT I REQUESTED THAT THEY FIND A MANUAL SHIFT DEMO AND SWITCH TRANSMISSIONS WITH MINE, INCLUDING CHANGING THE TRANS FLUID, WITH THE JAPANESE VERSION I HAD SHIPPED TO THEM. AFTER MUCH ADO, THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED. HOWEVER, SEVERAL OTHER PROBLEMS ALSO DEVELOPED INCLUDING:

- REAR STABILIZERS,SHOCKS AND AIR CONTROLLER
    - REAR TRAILING ARMS,UNIVERSAL,REBUIDING DRIVE SHAFT
    - REPAINTING HOOD BECAUSE OF DEFECTIVE PAINT JOB

MY 2005 PATHFINDER HAD THE WEE-KNOWN AND WELL-PUBLICIZED RADIATOR/ TRANSMISSION PROBLEM, WHICH NISSAN NEVER RECOGNIZED AS A RECALL, BUT EVENTUALLY THROUGH MUCH PRESSURE, EXTENDED THE WARRANTY TO 80,000 MI.

MY VEHICLE ENCOUNTERED THE PROBLEM AT ABOUT 35,000 MI.
    AFTER SEVERAL CALLS TO A NISSAN NORTH AMERICA SPOKESPERSON,
    WE CAME TO AN AGREEMENT THAT I WOULD PAY ONE-HALF OF THE DEALER LABOR COST (APPROX. $450) AND NISSAN WOULD REPLACE THE RADIATOR AND TRANSMISSION, WHICH WAS DONE. MONTHS LATER I GOT THE $450 BACK AFTER NISSAN EXTENDED THE WARRANTY AND I CALLED SEVERAL TIMES FOR THE RETURN OF MY PAYMENT.

I JUST REPLACED THE FRONT U-JOINT AND HAD A NEW OIL SENSOR INSTALLED. I FOUND OUT THAT I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A LEAK IN THE COVER BEHIND THE TIMING CHAIN COVER. THIS CAUSES THE OIL LIGHT TO COME ON AT TIMES WHEN THE VEHICLE IS IDLING. IF I REPAIR IT, THE COST IS APPROX. $ 1200. AND I’M OUT OF WARRANTY.

SO GENTLEMEN. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD STAY LOYAL TO NISSAN AN TRADE-IN MY 2005 FOR A NEW ONE? OR, NEVER PURCHASE A NISSAN AGAIN?

I THINK THE ANSWER IS OBVIOUS. I SCTARCHED YOUR BACK SEVERAL TIMES, BUT YOU NEVER SCRATCHED MINE WITHOUT ME YELLING FOR HELP.

MAYBE YOU SHOULD NAME YOUR NEXT NEW CAR MODEL,”THE NISSAN “INDIFFERENCE”, IN DISHONOR OF YOUR TREATMENT OF CUSTOMERS.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,127
    edited June 2011
    You probably should send it in sentence case. Many people find ALL CAPS hard to read and they'll just skip over that text.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Mine went in for a diagnosis on may 16th after a shifting to overdrive problem..they said they were going to replace the radiator and transmission under the warranty since it has 61,000 miles on it..
    I am still driving the Pathfinder cautiously and mostly in 3rd gear...they told me the tranny is coming from japan and it would take 3 weeks..its going on 5 now and they told me the ETA is july 1st...so then it will take 2 days to install everything..I asked the service manager about the other associated cooling components being replaced such as the water pump and heater core, he said that since they are metal parts that the flush would take out any residual contaminants. I have no idea about this. All i know is I can't wait to get this fixed and you know what. :D
    I used Caps to show how pissed off I am. A Friend of mine in the auto business (no dealer or car affiliation) told me that Nissan was about the least responsive and caring of the manufacturers. You can see by the number of unsatisfied customers with problems noted on Edmunds, that this is probably the case.
  • katraykatray Posts: 7
    We have the same problem with our 05 Pathfinder radiator/ transmission. No help from Nissan just rude obnoxious people. Please post if you hear of any class action suits. Thank you as this has been a devastating event for our family, we owe over $9,000. on the car and my husband is a disabled veteran and thought we were buying a good reliable car. Good luck with yours. Kathy
  • It is also interesting how many u-joints have also been replaced after reading the posts on several sites. I know nothing about u-joints other than I paid 1k dollars to repair that also. Wonder if there is a relation between those and the radiator/transmissions.

God Nissan sucks!
  • luckyducluckyduc Posts: 17
    The U-joints are crap! Two went bad in our 06 before 55k miles.
  • I think it's around 86,000. My husband contacted Nissan HQ and was at first treated respectfully, as most have said they were until you are referred on and basically told to get lost because it's over the 80,000. The majoirty of the problems begin after 80,000. On top of this, like so many others, we were told it may be several weeks until a replacement transmission comes in and then we are only given a 12 month/12 thousand mile warentee.
    My husband has since written a letter of complaint to the Nissan America comp, with a CC to the AG's' Office, a senator/attorney friend of ours, and several others. Suddenly we receive a call just yesterday from the local dealer who said someone must have pushed a few buttons because suddenly a transmission is supposedly arriving next Monday. We are paying the $6000.00 because we need the 2nd vehicle living in VT and very few alternatives for travel. However we will fight and become a thorn in their side everyday if needed to get refunded and help push through a recall. Check this link out. Tranny repair shops are advertising to repair 2005 Pathfinder transimssions due to the widely known problem: http://charlottencmechanic.blogspot.com/2011_06_01_archive.html
  • Laura-

That was a good link to see about the radiators. Thank you for sharing and also the mention of cc'ing the State AG in my letter to Nissan. I will be adding the AG for both my state and Tennessee where Nissan has a HQ.

I also found a few more names for others writing to Nissan and interesting verbiage on their positions with Nissan. To us on this string it will cause a laugh for the day as we all know it is total BS. Enjoy anyway...

Kevin Martin Vice President, Manufacturing Quality, Nissan Americas

Kevin Martin is vice president, Manufacturing Quality for Nissan Americas. In this role he is responsible for ensuring the company’s focus on product quality across its entire range of cars, trucks and commercial vehicles – including supplier and manufacturing quality.

Previously, Martin was vice president, Total Customer Satisfaction. He oversaw cross-functional activities among groups such as design, engineering, manufacturing and suppliers to help them understand their impact on customer satisfaction.

This is one of my favorites for my friends in the Nissan Customer Relations department that "don't know" who the VP of their department is- Let me introduce...

Bradley D. Thacker Vice President, Total Customer Satisfaction Nissan Americas

Brad Thacker is vice president, Total Customer Satisfaction (TCS) for Nissan Americas. He is responsible for ensuring complete satisfaction among Nissan and Infiniti owners across the Americas region, which includes Canada, the U.S., Mexico, Brazil, and 37 additional markets in Latin America and the Caribbean. His responsibilities also include Nissan’s Product Safety department.

Previously, Thacker served as vice president of Corporate Services & Organization Development.
    Virtually,the whole car is crap mechanically,except for acceleration and interior appointments. I'm lucky if I get 13 mpg. Had a host of problems with fuel guage,trans/radiator,etc. For me to get another one, they would have to leave one FREE IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE, with lifetime free service and parts.
  • Well my 2006 pathfinder has 75,000 miles and im an on transmission #3 or 4 if you cont the one it orignially came with.

My 1st transmission was put in at 58k and dont you know the tranny they put in was bad so 3 month later I got another one. Well after that I brought it in numeous times for it banging into gear, vibration,noisey just for the dealer to say nothing was wrong (and I happen to work for the dealership) finally I brought it into the Toyota store and within 2 second they said yes you have a bad tranny. So I brought it back to the Nissan dealership and after 2 weeks they sad they would pay for the part but I have to pay the labor. Ok yes Im geting out of this situation cheaper than most but still..... 3 transmissions in the span of 17 thousand miles... (the transmission came in today it was on back order) I should have my truck back in a few days.

I bought the truck brand new. and love it accept for this one MAJOR issue and I would love to have another Pathfinder but wont buy one I'm too scared this will happen again
  • Just talked with the Nissan service tech and apparently Nissan cannot confirm or deny the whereabouts of my new tranmissions. It apparently arrived via a freighter to San Fran on June 14th. Parts Manager calls this morning to ask questions about it and Nissan shuts him out too. Won't tell him anything about it or even confirm that it left on its 8 day journey to New Hampshire. Won't even tell him that no it did not leave either.

Never in my life have I seen a company with such poor customer service, trust, and relability such as Nissan. They deserve no one driving their products and promoting their brand. They should be embarassed by their actions.
  • lemitylemity Posts: 1
    Just finally got my vehicle back after 39 days after my transmission was on backorder for 37 days. My radiator cracked an leaked into my transmission. I called Nissan when I found out my vehicle was under warranty and they said it was OK to get a rental and to have it towed. I called yesterday to make sure I had all the correct paperwork to get reimbursed and the told me since I've had my rental for so long that they would not reimburse me. I have a $1,100 rental bill.

Has anyone else had this problem with the rental reimbursement? I called Nissan1 and they are having my regional specialist call me back.