Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• Rumbling was key issue. Knew it was trans. Called local reliable Trans place to confirm. They said they knew about problem and I should have it and radiator done. Battled with Nissan. They eventually had me pay 1/2 dealer labor charge ($450). I got the money back from Nissan, with a lot of effort, after they extended the radiator warranty. All along, they did not want to link the trans problem with the radiator;but too much pressure from customers and lawsuits and they finally extended the radiator warranty.
  • 99accent99accent Posts: 232
    It doesn't matter if you change your fluid once its a leak from the radiator into the transmission cooling lines it goes right into the fluid and mixes with it,your only hope is to get the radiator replaced and the transmission flushed twice to get it all out.
  • bev62bev62 Posts: 9
    Mine was rumbling and slipping. There was transmission fluid mixed in the coolant in the radiator. Once the dealership saw it there was no questions ask they just said that it was the radiator defect. They ended up replacing my radiator, transmission, water pump, heater core, and thermostat.
  • I have recently purchased a 2006 pathfinder from a dealer and am curious as to how I should go about finding out if I possibly have a tranny problem or how to determine if there is a future problem that I should look out for. I do know that there is an external tran. cooler on my vehicle and it looks like a factory installed unit. I know that the vehicle has a towing package from Nissan (at least that is what I was told at the dealer).

I also noticed during the initial driving test at the time of purchase that there was a slight noise during takeoff but the salesman put it off to sand on the driveway? Even my wife noticed this and she was the driver when this occured. Now I have my doubts after reading all the problems from Nissan owners of 05, 06, and 07 models.

Is the name of the radiator readily visible on the radiator as it is installed in the SUV? Can the radiator fluid be tested for water content?

Any help on this matter will be most appreciated and thanks for any advice that I receive.
    IF THE COOLER IS OUTSIDE THE RADIATOR AND THERE ISNT ANY CONNECTO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE RADIATOR WITH OPTIONAL COOLING LINES THEN YOUR 100% SAFE THAT NO ANTIFREEZ WILL GET INTO THE TRANSMISSION
    CHECK THE SIDES OF THE RADIATOR ALSO FOR POSSIBLE TRANSMISSION LINES GOING TO IT . A LOT OF OWNERS HAD TO INSTALL AN INDEPENDANT COOLING KIT AND DISCONNECTED THE ORIGINAL SET UP INTO THE RADIATOR TO REMEDY THIS PROBLEM. HERES A VIDEO ON HOW TO INSTALL A COOLER KIT---http://www.etrailer.com/Transmission-Cooler/Nissan/Frontier/2000/D13502.ht- ml?vehicleid=20005360
  • I have a 2006 with 73,000 miles and it seems to be the transmission issue. I just replaced the tires and still get a slight shimming in the front end at 50-60mph,I also get a clicking sound in the front end when I slow to stop which sounds like it slows down as the wheels slow down to stop then is gone when stopped. Do you think this is the transmision and what should I tell the dealer ? Thanks for any guidance.
  • Check to see of wheel bearing or CVC joint problem.
  • I cannot find any loose parts in front end will have to check further. Thanks.
  • you will hear a rasping noise if it's a wheel bearing. similar noise with possibley more grinding if it's a cvc joint. Also could be a bad engine mountif noise is not coming from wheels.
  • It makes a clicking sound like something is not engaging and slows down as the wheel slows down-when in 4 wheel drive sound goes away and 4 wheel drive sounds very rough.
  • Still sounds like cvc or wheel bearing.
  • alisonlalisonl Posts: 30
    So...I am back. One of many who not only got shafted on the fuel pump replacement but the full transmission/radiator replacement. I'm down ~$5,000 out of pocket for major repairs. NOW can you believe, my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder that I drove off the Nissan lot brand new has paint peeling on the hood and down the side of the front windshield. Yup, under the paint is green. I am so beyond disbelief. A 6 year old car...peeling paint. What do we do? Who do we go to? Who is listening? This is beyond what I can take. The car has been the worst nightmare financially. And now Im going to HAVE to drive around w/ a spotted embarrassing paint job because my savings went to nothing since the transmission incident. Its so sad. Noone listens. I think I may truly find free consultation from consumer lawyers just to see what they say.
  • 9728jim9728jim Posts: 10
    My 2005 Pathfinder made similar noise and vibration around 40 mph and higher. Turned out to be the universal joints in both the front and rear. Had to replace them twice over the 125K miles I have on the vehicle.........still beats replacing the transmission.
  • tim2011tim2011 Posts: 6
    Sounds like it may be joints related- thanks.
  • mlaniermlanier Posts: 19
    I had the same problem it turned out to be the front drive shaft. Again nissan knows of this problem and they are not reporting the problem to us the consumer. I took mine to Nissan dealer and they ran all the checks and found the front drive shaft was bad, luckily mine was warranty work.
    Good luck hope I helped.
  • So add me to the list of '05 pathfinders whose radiator stopped blowing hot air. After a coolant flush, everything worked well for a botu 2 weeks until the tranny stopped downshifting, most noticeably once I reacher 40 miles per hour or faster, but it won't shift it's load at any speed. I am taking it to Nissan this afternoon. I hope they step up and take care of their problem. Any advice out there.. what to say- what not to say?
    edited March 2011
    the 2005 and 2006 had issues with the transmission fluid leaking into the radiator cooling lines then the transmission is destroyed and has to be replaced, this all started when Nissan change radiator vendors for those few years , unfortunately most people are stuck with a high bill out of pocket up to $5,000 ,there is another bad issue in the design in the intake swirl valve on top of the engine the v6 , the little brass screws come loose and get sucked into the engine and they destroy the engine ,if you have more than 60,000 miles you pay for a new engine. hope you have good luck ,it doesn't happen to all with the swirl valves, but the transmission issue it happens eventually at an unknown mileage .
  • jmcd07jmcd07 Posts: 1
    Well, I have a 2007 Nissan pathfinder which I bought brand new. This winter I would go out and start my vehicle and crank the heater to get the vehicle warm before I left. I eventually gave up on doing this because no matter how long I left it started it blew out cold air. As soon as I would put the car in gear and take off the heat would start working. This was very annoying but I just let it go. Now in the past week I have been having issues with the transmission. Hard vibration when gears are shifting and sometimes jerking hard when shifting. I read some blogs on line and it looks like it may be related. I never would have put the two together. Anyway, I have an appt scheduled next week at my nissan garage. I hope it's not the same problem everyone else is having. Btw, it only has 57,000 miles. Any suggestions?
  • gharpmangharpman Posts: 88
    Make sure the dealer is "honest." They may try to put you off or recommend a different repair.
    Tell 'em you read several complaints on Edmunds. You want them to check the coolant for contamination. Also the trans fluid. You should be under the new Nissan extended warranty (80,00 mi) for radiator, which would also include the trans. Good luck.
  • tim2011tim2011 Posts: 6
    I brought my 2006 pathfinder 75,000 miles into the dealer 4 days ago and had them check the vibration-they said it was the drive shaft which I have to pay for ($525). I pressed them on the radiator/transmission issue and they checked the radiator which had tranny fluid in it.-they said they were only authorized to replace radiator- I requested the left over radiator fluid and at that time they called nissan and they agreeed to replace the transmission-they have put me in a rental car awaiting the new transmission.If you own A PATHFINDER take it in trouble or no trouble-the dealer service departments are looking for work and you may be surprised --good luck..