Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

1343536373840»

Comments

• mamdanimamdani Posts: 4
    i have an 05 pathfinder with 49K miles. i have not experienced the coolant problem yet, but want to avoid it. is there anything that can be done in advance? eg, replace radiator or replace transmission cooler or both?

i came here because my service engine soon light came on, but glad i did!

thanks in advance.
  • jk05mdxjk05mdx Posts: 15
    Bypass the transmission line going through the radiator.

There are several suggested DIYs in the thread but the one I used involved pulling the transmission fluid hose (short one) from the radiator at the left end and rerouting it to the transmission line where the long hose from the radiator is connected. Pull out the long hose and connect the short one there and now install the long hose over the pipe on the radiator from which the short hose was pulled. This is just to cover and protect the line so that dirts do not go into it.

I did mine more than three years ago and I have not had any issue with the vehicle since then although I do not tow, but I do carry over 500 kg at a time worth of loads.

If you go through the thread, you will pictures to guide you.

Cheers.
  • mamdanimamdani Posts: 4
    thanks, i will search for the diy.

essentially we are "shorting" the fluid circuit so they dont mix. i guess i could look for an aftermarket trans fluid cooler. Does anyone have a suggestion that worked for them in the past?

it seems if newer models still exhibit the same problem then this is a flaw in the design and not a bad component. replacing the rad will be of no long term benefit.

thanks everyone for alll their posts.
  • We had our transmission cooler line routed directly to the transmission cooler. Bypassing the radiator all together. A nissan technician at our local dealer did it for $25. He said he's done it to his two Nissan's to avoid the problem and avoid having to put in a new radiator. Your Pathfinder should have a transmission cooler so you should not have to buy that.
  • The class action settlement going on now is laughable. I thought the settlement people were working for us but they are crooks just like Nissan. They are making it almost impossible to get any monies back. They have all they need form our receipt, the fact that we broke down 200 miles from home, towed to Nissan. Replaced the radiator/transmission etc. Two and half years ago the RO didn't say it was leaked radiator problem. Dealership has changed hands and said they will tell someone it was the radiator leak but can't "mess up their paper work". Settlement people say I need to get it in writing or no deal. Crooks, all crooks. Pathfinder ruined us. Beware
  • FIRST OF ALL YOU NEED A TRANS COOLER then a mechanic or your self can by pass the radiator
  • unfortunately it seems what your dealer wants to do for you, some people have had the entire trans and radiator replaced for nothing ,
  • phila2phila2 Posts: 1
    Please do not, do not buy a Nissan. My transmission failed and Nissan does nothing to help. You will be on your own with costly repairs. Go with a Toyota or Honda please
  • Hi. I see your message is from 2010. After you fixed the truck, did the problem ever happen again? Also, would you happen to know if replacing the trans is absolutely necessary or is rebuilding it enough? Thank you
  • jwvigjwvig Posts: 1
    Did anyone ever have any luck with just flushing the trans?
    I have a 2005 Pathfinder and it just started doing the vibration at 40mph. I was wondering if I can flush it and at least get it good enough to trade it in without anyone asking questions.
  • We just bought a 2007 pathfinder with 55,000 miles on it- no extended warranties here. Runs great but I am scared for the future after reading all the horror stories. I am reading about all the problems with coolant leaking into the transmission and we'd like to stop the problem before it starts if possible. I am reading about mounting an external cooler and bypassing the transmission line but since we live in VERY hot area (Saudi Arabia) I am wondering if that's wise? What about replacing the stock cooler with a copper cooler (as long as it's not a genuine Nissan part) because that seems to be where the problems begin (cracks in the oil cooler tube.) Any help would be appreciated, we are not "car people," we're learning as we go and will have to explain this to a non-English speaking mechanic which should be...interesting.
  • We had a '05 Patherfinder with 115,000 miles - the issue was uncovered during a routine oil change at the dealership. A couple days prior to the service, I noticed the vehicle seemed sluggish, almost like the parking brake was deployed. The dealership flushed the engine and transmission, replaced the radiator. They did an extended road test on the vehicle, checked the transmission fluid. Everything appeared fine - no evidence of anti-freeze in the transmission. I asked what their success rate was for saving vehicles in this condition. He didn't have any data as most vehicles were beyond saving. We took it home, used it lightly, then traded it in on a new vehicle (not a Nissan). The only evidence of the issue would be a brand spanking new radiator. We received a fair trade-in price on the new vehicle. Good luck!
  • what8what8 Posts: 1
    Unfortunately I may be the person who purchased your vehicle. While we did some due diligence, we did not see this issue until after we drove the vehicle home and noticed the vibration which at first seemed like tire vibration. We found this board and checked the brand new radiator. When you don't disclose this issue, the next person is the one impacted...Merry Christmas. Plan to contact the dealer on Monday but have a feeling it is going to be a case of buyer beware...unfortunately we didn't know what to beware of since it was deliberately masked.
  • alisonlalisonl Posts: 30
    edited December 2013
    The settlement was a joke. I thought they were going for us, the consumer, I received a letter stating that I had over 100,00 miles so no go. No deal, No refund. I had 115,000 and had it in at 109,000 when brilliant Nissan workers flushed the transmission but that was not the problem...and they knew it.
    I am going to appeal it. I am beside myself the dirty in this world and the dirty that people are in corporations. This was out of my pocket, almost $5,000 and they deserve to pay us all back. Why did these lawyers go to court for a simple 20,000 mile coverage/?? The warranty was extended to 80,000 from Nissan..so the lawsuit is only covering those with mileage between 80,000 and 100,000. Im going to guess that's not too many customers. What a bunch of horrific nightmarish crap. I deserve that money back and cannot and will not accept a no. What is the difference between 1 mile and 400,000..the parts were defective. Where are the good attorneys that fight for the people......
  • If you have added a cooler, The jerking and cutoff is due to the cooler being undersized. The transmission brain is designed to cut off if the transmission gets to hot. When the vehicle cools, it will operate normally until it gets hot again. Get a larger cooler.
  • I paid a local shop $70 to bypass my radiator, cap the inlet and outlets on the radiator, and connect the tranny cooling lines directly to the transmission cooler. They checked the tranny fluid and said that it looked fine. I was fortunate. I'm happy I found this site and was able to prevent this from happening to my 2006 pathfinder. Hopefully other Pathfinder owners will find this information and take similar steps to avoid this from happening to them.
  • jd56jd56 Posts: 1

We have recently joined the transmission problem group as the intermix issues have struck again.

• @ksanissan said: We just bought a 2007 pathfinder with 55,000 miles on it- no extended warranties here. Runs great but I am scared for the future after reading all the horror stories. I am reading about all the problems with coolant leaking into the transmission and we'd like to stop the problem before it starts if possible. I am reading about mounting an external cooler and bypassing the transmission line but since we live in VERY hot area (Saudi Arabia) I am wondering if that's wise? What about replacing the stock cooler with a copper cooler (as long as it's not a genuine Nissan part) because that seems to be where the problems begin (cracks in the oil cooler tube.) Any help would be appreciated, we are not "car people," we're learning as we go and will have to explain this to a non-English speaking mechanic which should be...interesting.

installing a external transcooler would solve ur problem so that the coolant never reaches ur transmission

• soto327soto327 Posts: 2

how i can prevent my nissan pathfinder 2005 coolant to mix with the transmission oil?

• clh1983clh1983 Posts: 1

Purchased a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder w/ 76k miles on it from Carmax in December 2011. (Nissan should have notified car dealers of this potential issue, but Carmax did not say anything to me). May 2013, experienced transmission failure as a result of the defective radiator (@ 96k miles). Paid co-pay of $3000 to replace transmission and radiator. February 2014, transmission cooler hose burst. I questioned the dealer regarding the potential causes of the rupture and was assured that it was unrelated to the tranny/radiator repair. Paid $262 to have the hose fixed. March 2014, RPMs began spiking, felt like transmission was slipping - made it to the Nissan dealership. Transmission replaced AGAIN! I believe that Nissan owes me my $3000 co-pay and my $262 hose repair cost back! Any mechanics out there know whether pressure spikes in the transmission could have caused the hose to rupture? Or, whether all of this is connected? Any attorneys out there: any recourse for other consumers who are experiencing second transmission failures after the initial "extended warranty" repairs?

• holsty1holsty1 Posts: 2
    Just had my pathfinder auto sliping in 1 gear today on holidays ,looks like im up for big bucks ,another victim of the radiator prob ,thanks nissan love ya work ?
  • Hoping someone can help me, I'm wondering, if a dealership flushed the transmission and coolant how long would it take for the problem to be visible again?