Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• I have coolant in my trans. I spent $200, and replaced the radiator and drained the trans. Got it all out and refilled the trans. I drove my Pathfinder for about 10 miles and the same thing happened. I have freaking coolant in the trans. What do I do now? I called Nissan about this and they told me they don't know what could be causing this. They won't do anything about it. Does anyone know what this can be?
  • The color of the trans fluid is milky white. The radiator fluid is low and e trans fluid is way over due to coolant in it.
  • unrelentingunrelenting Posts: 42
    edited September 2011
    A new Class Action in process....I know, because we are the lead plaintiffs....details to follow. This will be filed in Texas.
  • If you changed your radiator and the same thing happened then you must have gotten a junk radiator between the years that Nissan bought from a different vendor from Nissan 05-07 , you should have tried to get a 04 or 08 an made it fit with a few modifications on the mounts and maybe- just maybe it would have been saved, now its destroyed and costly ,join the lawsuit club and hope the lawyer is as good as Johny Cockerin.
  • At first the automatic transmission of my 2001 Pathfinder started to 'clunk' with a few seconds delay in D. Someone suggested it would be the U-joints, but that's not it.

Now it got worse: I can't pull up in D anymore. Now I have to put it in 2, pull up and then in D when it's in 2nd gear. I've checked the oil level of the transmission and that seems ok (assuming the level stick has to be pushed back entirely till it's in the clamp again to get the level? Not only till the rubber hits the pipe?). Could it be the oil got old and thinner? Or is it more likely the oil pump is worn? Or?
  • No cross-contamination to date, but I'm seriously considering an aftermarket radiator switch as a proactive action versus the much discussed bypass. For those of you that have installed either Koyo (quesocore), Spectra, or others - how are these aftermarket rads holding up? Realizing fully that there may not be enough history to comment at this time.
  • Nissan could have saved themselves a lot of trouble and maybe even kept some customer base (judging by this forum and my opinion) by offering to install a separate $50 +/-transmission cooler when this problem began appearing years ago. They still, to my knowledge, have not offered this option. Perhaps this is because it may be construed as an admission of a problem? Such a simple fix. I suspect that every 05 and above is at risk unless Nissan changed the design. I also own a 2005 Pathfinder that had this problem.

Nissan's apparent decision to minimize the significance of this problem seems to be the tack of many businesses now - DENY DENY DENY. A calculated BUSINESS DECISION that ATTORNEYS can save more money than HONESTY and DECENCY. To Nissan and its execs (led by Carlos Ghosn) shame on you. At least Toyota bit a somewhat questionable bullet when the old folks that drive Toyotas allegedly couldn't find the brake pedal or something like that and offered a repair.

My 05 pathfinder is still alive. I changed the radiator at 78k just when it began having problems. I did not repair the transmission - it was shaky but still functioning. Now at 100k the tranny hasn't died yet. Nissan reimbursed me for the radiator and 30+ quart blood transfusion (at $12 per quart) for the transmission fluid needed to get the contaminatants out. But - this doesnt change the fact that other Pathfinders have this same risk. My opinion is this is a safety issue that Nissan should have and should still PROACTIVELY ADDRESS. To my knowledge they have not. Just my 2cents.

To Anyone with an 05+ pathfinder - add a bypass transmission cooler and you will never never ever have this issue (although the crappy defective Nissan radiator may eventually leak coolant through the abandoned transmission fluid ports, which would have ended up in the transmission had you not installed the cooler. That is when you know your investment paid back 100- fold) Why nissan did not offer this to its initially satisfied customers earlier is beyond me. Poor business decision. You cannot buy cheaper insurance.
  • yes they bought the radiators from an inferior vendor 05-07 and the coolant leaks into the transmission and it s destroyed at your cost $5,000, and to add the v6 engine loose the brass swirl valve screws down into the engine and destroy the engine another blunder, and now its a corrosion problem with the driver side strut and steering column rusting out. so everyone who loves pathfinders ,keep feeding Nissan and the engines are also the same engines that go into altimas and maxima's its a VQ35 with a timing chain that also eats up the plastic timing chain rails ,about a $2,000 dollar job.
  • hello, how can I be added to the class action. I have replaced my radiator once and completely flushed the tranny. Guess what, the new radiator has done the same thing (coolant in the tranny). I am tired of paying money to a company who think nothing about their customers!!!!!!
  • Call both of these firms...I spoke with Mazie a few weeks ago...it's case is in court awaiting a ruling from the Judge. Nissan asked the suit be dismissed (shocking I know)... My very non-legal understanding is the key for victory will be to get the class-action suits certified by the Judge. If certified as a class, Nissan will then need to engage instead of putting the blame and cost on its customers...I just paid $4,950 to have my 05 Pathfinder fixed. Will never buy another Nissan again...:lemon:

Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman, LLC based in Essex County, New Jersey
    http://www.transmission-lawsuit.com/

Kantrowitz Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C.
    http://www.kgglaw.com/Investor-Consumer-Bulletin/Nissan-2005-Pathfinder-Radiator- - -Defect.shtml
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,943
    edited September 2011
    the key for victory will be to get the class-action suits certified

And then what? Get a coupon? Maybe you should talk to your own lawyer and go your own way. If the amount of damages is too low for a lawyer, you could try small claims court.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• We have a Class Action suit being petitioned to the Northern District Court of Texas. My wife is the lead plaintiff. Our car (Pathfinder) is currently in repair and should be out of the shop this Friday. Once the petition is filled...I will release the name of our Law Firm. Not quite sure how wide the Class Action will be. Same problem....the radiator cooling system failed and contaminated into the transmission. Our TCM died....(ele module that tells the ignition system in in park), upon diagnostics by Nissan, they determined the contamination of fluids. Transmission is now dead. The real problem is once the indicators are present, it is too late. I wish I had kept the response to Nissan we wrote when they selected us for a response on the quality and satisfaction to their customer service. Nissan, you have to be kidding! The question is: Are they stupid or stupidly smart. We'll see.... ;)
  • fl116fl116 Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Frontier with no problems so far (knock wood). Are there preventative measures I can take to ensure I don't get this problem. Thanks D
  • jk05mdxjk05mdx Posts: 15
    Bypass the transmission fluid internal cooler in the radiator. There is a detailed step by step DIY procedure for this in the Frontier Forum. It is easy and you will not need to purchase anything.

All the best!
  • fl116fl116 Posts: 3
    Hi jk05mdx. I am having trouble finding it in the Frontier forum. Can you point me in the right direction to find the DIY - Thanks Dan
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,943
    edited October 2011
    I think he's referring to the link this post, which takes you off our site:

jk05mdx, "Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems" #114, 11 Dec 2009 1:18 am

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• myme54myme54 Posts: 1
    I keep reading how just about everyone who owns this car including myself has the same problem and I still don't understanding how Nissan can get away with this. I am a single mom and, if my car doesn't work my life gets turned upside down. On top of all that, the problem is so expensive I don't know how I'm gonna pay for it. I still owe on my car so I'm paying for a car that at the moment I can't even drive. Anybody who can offer any advice or just say anything that can help me would be great!
  • I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune with your Nissan. If you have under
    80k miles,Nissan issued an extended warranty. If over 80k miles, you may be out of luck unless the pending class action lawsuit gets some results. I haven't had any problems yet with my '07, but I'm worried that it's just a matter of time. I will either trade it or disconnect the trans. cooler before it happens, which may be an option for you if & when you get your vehicle back. Good luck!
  • grid1grid1 Posts: 2
    I have 134,000 miles on the pathfinder and my mechanic just told me the coolant is leaking into the transmission. It will cost 4600 to fix. Anyone know about any class action suits or warranty possiblities?
  • Check out the message after my rant with links to two law offices; I suspect there are more. My understanding besides a class action suit is making sure this is reported to NHTSA: http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

Be sure to add anything that might have happened while driving the car when the damages occured. In our case our Pathfinder lurched forward in heavy traffic. Fortunately my husband was driving & managed to control the vehicle but it was terrifying. I used to enter VT traffic accidents into the NHTSA database while working for VT Highway Safety. Many of the reports involved deaths, including photos. This makes us so angry that Nissan can so casually treat this like it's nothing. The money is one thing, in our case $6000.00 plus loss of our vehicle for over 3 months due to the lack of transmissions from Nissan. But that they turn their backs on this when there is clearly a danger involved is beyond pathetic. What NHTSA takes seriously are dangerous vehicles. I know the money is important, we hope to get ours back, but pushing the dangers of the Nissan vehicles really needs to be addressed so the feds take it seriously.

Here is the lawsuit link info:
    #847 of 857 Re: Nissan Radiators Another Class Action [rricks] by snowbird127 Sep 26, 2011 (6:43 am)
    Replying to: rricks (Sep 25, 2011 7:59 pm)

Call both of these firms...I spoke with Mazie a few weeks ago...it's case is in court awaiting a ruling from the Judge. Nissan asked the suit be dismissed (shocking I know)... My very non-legal understanding is the key for victory will be to get the class-action suits certified by the Judge. If certified as a class, Nissan will then need to engage instead of putting the blame and cost on its customers...I just paid $4,950 to have my 05 Pathfinder fixed. Will never buy another Nissan again...

Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman, LLC based in Essex County, New Jersey
    http://www.transmission-lawsuit.com/

Kantrowitz Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C.
    http://www.kgglaw.com/Investor-Consumer-Bulletin/Nissan-2005-Pathfinder-Radiator- -Defect.shtml