Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• Many folks have simply added the cooler, disconnected the cooling lines thru the tranny, and flushed, flushed, and flushed. For the most part once the coolant gets into the tranny, the clutches absorb the fluid and swell. Over time, and I am afraid it is not a long time...you may very well begin to have big issues. Interestinglly enough....I had problems with the plastic portions of the cooling system (dual air control) from the tranny fluid getting into the cooling system. So, it can be a double edged sword. Those engineers were idiots. Best of luck......
  • mpadonmpadon Posts: 2
    Thank you for being so persistent. I have tried everything and received the worst customer treatment from Nissan Customer Service that I ever received from a company. Our vehicle was at 82,000 miles when the contamination occurred. Please keep me on your list. If there is anything I can do to assist, just let me know. As I made the point to them, I had never heard of this type of problem and there was nothing I could do maintenance wise to have prevented it. The 80,000 warranty on this problem seemed arbitrary and after the fact.
  • There is nothing any of us that were unaware of the problem could have done to prevent it. That should be a major point of contention in that Nissan knew and never advised the problem....they just extended warranty as gift for our loyalty and never said why. That is fraud by deceit in its purest form. Do we have anyone from Texas posting their Nissan issues???
  • pathfinder2008pathfinder2008 Posts: 16
    edited February 2012
    From OHIO. 2008 Nissan Pathfinder 115K miles. Radiator ruptured causing fluids to mix in transmission. Result contamination of transmission and need of new transmission, new radiator and flush. Dealer quote near $6500 to fix and Corp. Nissan knew of faulty Radiator in which they extended the warranty to 80,000 miles. Problem is no notification to me of faulty part by Nissan Corporate or from Dealer where purchased vehicle or Dealer where vehicle has been routinely serviced.

Corporate regional representative said "I am sorry there is nothing we can do to assist you in the repair of your vehicle". Why I ask.. "because of the high mileage on your vehicle.

No type of offer to me at all.

Just to say: I had extended warranty which expired at 100K.

Servicing Dealer, provided cost of repair and "call Nissan back".
  • You have been ripped off just like the rest of us. It happened on my 2005 on Nov last year. I bought a new radiator and flushed everything but tranny died after couple month. I took to AAMCO for a rebuild like 2 weeks ago. I paid about $4000. I am trying to keep it until wheels fall off, but indeed this is my last Nissan. I am not happy. I will shift my loyalty to Toyota/Lexus, BMW or Mercedes. I hear good things about them.
  • 99accent99accent Posts: 232
    wow 2008 , and the end year model was 2007 , maybe you got the last of the radiators that were bought from a new vendor for those bad years that were 05 -07 , any way join the club , there is a lawsuit pending with Petition to get this solved ,however its been around for 3 years now and nothing is happening . good luck I have a 2003 pathfinder and have heard if issues if the vehicle wasn't made in japan , the brass swirl valve screws fall into the engine and destroy it and Nissan wont pay for it either.
  • Thanks for the information on the pending lawsuit. How/where do I find to read this information?

Just not right, 115K is the life of what I would have considered reputable company, an expensive vehicle for only 4 years old would you say!
  • see post #925. I am from OHIO, 2008 Nissan Pathfinder Radiator/Transmission issue with no assist.
  • Keeping using social media options to continue getting the word out on how much Nissan sucks and screws their customers. Thy are in the midst of new advertising about new models....nothing would be better than our helpful selves sharing our opinions.

On Twitter they are @nissannews and hash tags of #Nissan.
  • jkhicks1jkhicks1 Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Same thing just happened to me last week. Use the link to submit a complaint. I am calling a lawyer about a lawsuit.

http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint

Here is a link for a class action lawsuit

http://www.transmission-lawsuit.com/
  • Hi! Dallas, TX here. I just took my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder in last week (2/8) for a suspected transmission issue. My husband and I researched the night before prior to taking it in and saw all of these comments. We pretty much knew that the problem was this defect we all know about b/c my car was acting the exact same way as you all describe.

We took it to Courtesy Nissan in Richardson, TX where they repaired two other non-related recall issues and then promptly told us yes, something is wrong with the transmission, but they weren't sure exactly what. BS! We were told to call Nissan Customer Service. We called CS and told them what the dealership told us--no formal diagnostics, no quote, etc. Nissan CS assigned us to a "case manager" and asked us what exactly we wanted from Nissan. Of course we told our case manager we wanted Nissan to fix this issue! We were then told that someone would be in contact with us on 2/14 (the needed time to contact dealership, blah, blah).

Tuesday came and went, no phone call. We contacted our case manager on Wednesday afternoon and had to leave a voice mail. Fast forward to today, Thursday 2/16 and we have called our case manager twice today with no call back yet. I am not sure what else to do at this point. My car just sits up at the dealership with nothing being done to it at this point. I am trying to remain calm and not unload on them but at this point, that reality is getting close. :blush:
  • So sorry to hear that. Nissan is requesting that our suit be thrown out of court. Their position, it is not their responsibility to ensure that a vehicle transmission will last. Kinda funny that they are willing to cover to 80K miles, but not a mile further. Guess they know that defective parts coupled with over pressures in the transmission due to faulty designs kills a transmission. It would cost them a fortune to cover the 100's of vehicles that have failed due to their desire to make a buck. They are trying to get the cases thrown out in CA, NY, TX, and Ohio. Funny that the failure rates in these vehicles are absolutely 'uncommon'. Best of luck...we are just down the road and around the corner from you...here in Texas. Let us know what happens. Be safe.
  • Gosh I hope I have the same luck as you ! I got the exact same diagnosis today by a friend who is a mechanic. 2008 Pathfinder LE. This is my 3rd Nissan and I take excellent care of it. I have 104,000 miles and it is in mint condition (otherwise). I called Nissan Customer Advocate today and then went to the dealer for an additional plug for help. We will see. I cannot imagine $5,000 for a transmission PLUS radiator PLUS a full flush of the cooling system seeing as the coolant and the transmission fluid have mixed and traveled throughout. Keeping fingers crossed. If I get a NO, I WILL go the local news and see if they would be interested in helping via one of their segments on 'On Your Side'. Gulp.
  • I just purchased a new vehicle... not a Nissan because of this. Let me know what your local news comments are, as I have been considering the same. I was advised, my next step is Attorney General. I was also responded to by someone else from Edmunds.com that there is a lawsuit pending now for three years. I was told that if they pay for one person over the 80, 000 miles, they pay for all and that is why they will help no one or if you have extended warranty to 100,000 they will not assist 1 mile past. I will see if I can confirm the lawsuit, just don't know where to begin. Stay tuned for my post #925 for updates. Also see other peoples posts who responded to me of similar issues #926, #927 and #930 and there are others. Wouldn't you think it would be better for Nissan to recall and to pay for everyones radiator before the issue expands to the transmission. Hmmm.
  • Could you please elaborate about how this could be done? I want to tell my mechanic about this preventive maintenance. I have a 2005 Pathfinder LE with 109,000 miles, but I'm afraid I'm driving a ticking time bomb. I want to get at least 5 more years out of my truck.
  • I'm looking into preventing this from happening on my 2005 Pathfinder. i am trying to understand more about what needs to be done. Are you saying take it to an independent transmission guy or mechanic and have the transmission hoses bypass the radiator, or swicth the radiator hoses? What specifically needs to be done so i can explain it to my mechanic? Thanks
  • rgvtexasrgvtexas Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. i took it to Bert Ogden Nissan in McAllen Texas & they told me i needed a new Transmission & quoted me over $4k for the part alone. My truck has over 110k miles & lately this yr ive been having problems. When i driving it, im pushing the gas & it like feels stuck, like as if im forcing it when i press the gas & the RPM levels goes up like im forcing it. i have to let go of the gas in order for the RPM to stay at a normal level. i have to do this on a daily basis. its getting worse. today its being checked at a transmission shop. i just hope its not a very big expense. Bert odgen told me that the part that was bad was the Solonoid? last month i had to replace the Gas Pump & that costs about $367 for the part. im just wondering if this is a similar problem everyone is having. I also been noticing that my A/C buttons are going bad as well the light stays on but the a/c only blows air & i know its not the a/c blower because i just changed that part a couple of months ago. Open to any suggestions or recommendations. I cant afford to pay thousands of dollars. im almost done paying for the truck and plan to keep it for awhile longer.
  • gharpmangharpman Posts: 88
    Nissan doesn't stand behind their vehicles. I had 2005 Pathfinder. Bad radiator and trans. There are defects. All they did was extend warranty to 80,000. I was lucky enough to get coverage after months of discussions with them. Your dealer sounds like a crook. If you had to pay for the whole job of trans and radiator, range is $5-7k. My advice--get rid of it. It's a money pit. Trade could get you $10kplus. I got a Hyundai Santa Fe--top of line model. Couldn't be happier. Nissan will NEVER SEE ME AGAIN.
  • The best way to prevent this from happening is to simply replace the radiator. You should be able to do that for less than $300. But, if you have less than 80000 miles on the truck, and you replace it with an aftermarket radiator, you'll void that warranty. You might want to save the old radiator in case Nissan has to fix this problem for their owners.

Directions to have your transmission lines bypass the radiator can be found at CLUBFRONTIER.ORG. Good website.
  • Please do not buy this vehicle. I recently purchased an 05 Nissan Pathfinder and within 90 days, I was having the transmission and radiator replaced. this is the second time within 90 days I have had to call roadside assistance while in this vehicle. The first problem seems to be with the fuel level sensor. When the gas tank gets between the 1/2 and 1/4 mark, it just suddenly drops to empty. I called Nissan about this problem and they told me there was nothing they could help me with and that the previous owners had opted for the extended warranty instead of getting it fixed. Next I inquired about the apparent transmission problems I was having with the vehicle and they acted as if they never heard anything about it. I too have a Nissan Pathfinder that will ramp up the rpms adn loose power, you have to take your foot off of teh gas and let the rpms return to normal before you can accelerate again. While waiting for something from Nissan, my vehicle once again leaves me on the side of teh road and I have to walk 2 miles on a wooded, coyote filled country road with my 5 year old - in the dark. Now Nissan says no help here either. Of course I am happy having to spend hundreds in towing during the last 90 days and several thousand for a new radiator and transmission, while making payments. I can not wait to get rid of this POS and get a honda or a toyota. I am a farmer so I need a vehicle with good towing capacity, reliable, can handle my family needs as well - the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder is not it!