Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• So how can the torque convertor problem be fixed? I ride on msny roads where the speed limits are monitored and are 35 or 45 mph. When cruising at these speeds the engine is around 1400 rpms where the vibration kicks in. I sm sure if I explain to the cop who is writing that speeding ticket... But officer my torque convertor was bibrating snd I had to accelerate to get out of it... He will understand. The dealer has replaced my trans but that has mot solved the problem. The torque convertor was replaced with the new trans. There has to be a fix for tjis. It is going back to the dealer to be torn down again in the next few weeks. I will keep taking it back until they come up with a fix or resolve the issue.
  • Press the button on the shifter in the center console. It locks out the overdrive (does not affect the lwr gears)....let me know if the vibration stops. If you accelerate to 50, push the button again...the computer will shift you into OD. C YA
  • We had our radiator replaced at about 75k and the trannie around 105k. Ours is an 05 and we are the original owners. There is an interesting aside to this whole thing. When we bought the car, I put it in 2 wheel drive for the first couple years. At some point a service manager noticed it and insisted that I keep it in AWD, he said it would not affect the mileage and that the car was designed to be driven ALL the time in AWD. So I did. At some point subsequent to that the vibration started at high (75-80 mph)speed. Took it to a local mechanic, he found water in the transmission fluid, so I took it to the dealer and they replaced the radiator and flushed the tranny, insisting all was good. I paid for this, but was later reimbursed.

After this the vibration STILL was there at high speeds. I kept insisting it was a problem but was told it was fine. Finally at 105k, the tranny failed. We replaced it, again, at our expense, but no reimbursement yet. Still the vibration persisted. I continued to complain. Finally the service manager (now at 140k) said "why do you have it in AWD? If you drive at 85 in AWD you will tear the tranny apart." FYI, I had verified in the manual WAY back that you were supposed to keep it in AWD all the time. Bottom line, this transaxle/transmission is NOT designed to be driven in AWD at high speeds. I think this is contributing to the on going problems. This is ALSO a manufacturers defect in my opinion.
  • the first service manager is full of crap ,he just wants you in the repair shop more often . if you get into the drive ratio of the front and rear wheel differentials you will see its different in 4 wheel drive I believe the front wheels turn a little faster than the rear to keep it straight in the snow , so if you drive this way all the time you will surely wear out the front tires soon and maybe the front differential and more.
  • Could you help me with this same problem? I have been going round and round with Nissan about this Tranny, faulty radiator issue. They just keep yo yo-ing me around. I have an appt at a Nissan dealer for a "diagnosis". I tried to tell them that I cannot believe that I have to pay for a diagnosis that I'm already aware of. Please advise me as to how to go about getting them to pay for the repairs and do what is right. Thank You in advance. Lisa Y.
  • What is you mileage? My diagnosis was $96.00 and took about 4 minutes once the vehicle was brought into the shop and the fun began.
  • You did not mention is you have opened a claim with Nissan Assist. Make sure you call and open a claim. I was told it would cost me $7000. To fix mine. After opening a claim and lots of phone time with them ( if you can get past their voice mail system) they covered the trans and radiator as a warranty issue.ll. My car had less than 80,000 miles . I was told they extended the warranty on the trans to 80,000 miles. Take the car in. Get it diagnosed then call nissan assist to pen a claim . Stick to it. They are well aware of the trans issue. Speak to the service manager. Speak with a supervisor at Nissan Assist.
  • As I wrote previously, and same as this response, it is so important to report this to Highway Safety as a dangerous safety issue. So many complaints have been about the money, which is huge, $6000.00 in our case, but the close call we had when our SUV went nuts in very busy traffic still lives with us. I am so grateful my husband had the quick reaction he did to take control of the vehicle so we and others were not hurt or worse. So important to report this to NHTSA!!! https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml
  • Looks like Nissan has extended the warranty again to avoid admitting a defect in the radiator. Here are the details with links:

Up to 8 years/80,000 miles (whichever comes first): No customer co-pay
    After 8 years/80,000 miles (whichever comes first) up to 9 years/90,000 miles (whichever comes first): Customer co-pay is $2,500
    After 9 years/90,000 miles (whichever comes first) up to 10 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first): Customer co-pay is $3,000

http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiator/faqs.php?menu=22

http://www.nissanatoilcoolersettlement.com/CaseInfo.aspx?pas=nissanatoilcoolerse- ttlement
  • So if I'm reading this right. anything over 100,000 is out of luck?

122K miles the problem happened for us and I spent $5000 to fix.

Just restating the fact people following this thread know - Nissan sucks.
  • Basically Nissan is taking a calculate risk here. By slightly extending the warranty and caring for just enough failure cases, their hope is they will calm enough of the masses and avoiding a recall. If they would have recalled the radiators immediately upon knowledge of the defect, this would have saved them from dealing with numerous transmission replacements and customer satisfaction concerns.

According to DOT, the average driver in the US drives 13,476 miles a year. It is interesting to note on the NissanAssist website that the CVT warranty extension is 12y/120,000m.

I am no lawyer, but hope someone with legal expertise can comment on the class action lawsuit. It seems like potentially one needs to opt out if they find the terms unacceptable and can attend a Fairness Hearing on March 14, 2013 in White Plains, NY.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm
    http://www.nissanassist.com/web/CVT/index.php?menu=8
    http://www.nissanatoilcoolersettlement.com/Documents/NNS0001/Preliminary%20Appro- val%20Order(2).pdf
  • I was pleased to see at least this and emailed it to my husband. He called me immediately after and we agreed that we have to think about it but maybe getting $2500.00 to $3000.00 out of the $6000.00 we paid is better than nothing. Then I read the class action lawsuit attached.

The agreement for the "eligible" customers to be reimbursed for previous replacement and repair it appears you had to be part of the class action suit, which is at the bottom of the page.

Several times since the suit was in the beginning process I tried to get through to this law firm in NY and was never replied to. So even though I sent them all the pertinent info I doubt we are eligible customers. But, I am taking that as a good thing. I would not be surprised if Nissan has set an amount for repair and replacement that is far below what many of us have had to pay, which is on the average of $5000.00 and $6000.00. Six thousand seems to be the most common number over the last couple years.

I would love to see a recall. There are too many variables with lawsuits and it bugs the hell out of me to see Nissan get off on any of this. I am still very concerned over the safety issues that they seem to not at all acknowledge.
  • As there is a great deal of disscussion on this topic, I'll try to add only what I think people can use or will use. I replaced the Radiator in My 2007 Pathfinder as Insurance. (@50,000 miles) The Trans cooler had not started showing any signs of failure. The issue with these is well documented oil cooler tube in the bottom of the radiator which may crack with age and use, its poorly eningeered and made. (American Made) The stock cooler is of a aluminium one piece design with what apears to be pressed on inlet and outlet fittings, the cracks have been appearing on the outflow side, (to the upper fan trans cooler, then to the transmission) side from what Ive seen. The cooler can be replaced at a local radiator shop far cheeper than a new transmission, (ensure they use the copper cooler with brazed fittings and not a geuine Nissan replacment part) ( You do not have to replace the entire radiator) some have recommended the bypass procedure, I decided not to do that as I pull a trailer and the aux oil cooler might not cool as efficiently, in hotter states that might be a no-no. If you own the years affected by this issue it might be a good idea to ethier replace the Rad or the cooler, for less than $500.00 you can have piece of mind. If you mechcnicaly inclined, I purchased a replacment radiator from JC whitney for $130.00 shipped to me @ 160.00. Took about a afternoon, and I went ahead and replaced the hoses and belts so I wont need to do that. (Belt change is a breeze on the PF) For those of you who decide to tempt fate, at least check your fluid weekly, its a 10mm bolt holding a regular dipstick.
  • I have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder, I have 90,154 miles, and have been the sole owner. At about 75,000 miles my fuel gauge stopped working and my service engine light does not go off. Apparently I need a new fuel sensor, but this seems to be happening to a lot of people. I called Nissan to complain, still waiting for a call back. Of course they extended the warranty on this but it happened after 60,000 miles. also now my vehicle vibrates at about 40 mph and 60 mph, is this my transmission?
  • Besides having to replace the tranny and radiator my fuel gauge also stopped working and engine light came on. After seeing many expensive complaints due to the sensor we were fortunate that we took it to a local car parts shop where staff was nice enough to use a diagnostic code reader, which pointed out it was a sensor. He reset it and it's been fine. I have to tell you though, we cannot wait to trade it in and will never buy Nissan again. As we keep advising, report any issues to NHTSA related to safety and especially related to the transmission. One class action suit was won, but only for those involved from what we've seen and they are still getting ripped off. There needs to be a recall!
  • Just a reminder as to how important it is to report the transmission/radiator problems to NHTSA. Concentrate on the safety issues if you were driving during this occurrence, or even fear of what could have happened if you were in traffic at the time.

Safety is what creates recalls, which leads to getting the transmission, radiator and anything related taken care of at no cost. And hopefully reimbursement for those of us stuck with these unsafe lemons. The more complaints they get that are safety related the better.

Also be careful in reporting it http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm to use these components as this is what NHTSA is doing the investigation on. The top two seem to have the largest number of complaints but there are some connected with the engine and cooling system so NHTSA is not getting the full picture of the number of complaints.

Component(s) :
    POWER TRAIN
    POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)
    POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:COOLING UNIT AND LINES
    POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:TORQUE CONVERTER
  • Hi cmscott2. I received a message via email that you posted about a link and also trying to get a petition started but your post does not show on this forum. My email is lauracurtisspalmer@yahoo.com if you would send me any info you have. This link goes to a Facebook page warning against Nissan. Unfortunately there are not many members. And unfortunately too from what I am seeing the complaints are spread onto so many forums that it is hard to gage how many there actually are. I've been trying to post to as many as I can find to get folks to complain to NHTSA since that is really the one important are to file safety somplaints, which is the only way to force a recall. Having it be more then just the Pathfinder too makes it that much more confusing since the same issue covers from 2005 to at least 2010 and a range of different four wheel drive Nissans. And that they are doing thier best to add confusion doesn't help. However I am glad to see that with the one settlement over a class action suit shows they know it is being taken seriously is a little relief.

Folks, please keep reporting to NHTSA and make it clear it is a huge safety issue!!!! Only way for a recall.
  • Hi cmscott2. I received a message via email that you posted about a link and also trying to get a petition started but your post does not show on this forum. My email is lauracurtisspalmeryahoo.com if you would send me any info you have. This link goes to a Facebook page warning against Nissan. Unfortunately there are not many members. And unfortunately too from what I am seeing the complaints are spread onto so many forums that it is hard to gage how many there actually are. I've been trying to post to as many as I can find to get folks to complain to NHTSA since that is really the one important are to file safety somplaints, which is the only way to force a recall. Having it be more then just the Pathfinder too makes it that much more confusing since the same issue covers from 2005 to at least 2010 and a range of different four wheel drive Nissans. And that they are doing thier best to add confusion doesn't help. However I am glad to see that with the one settlement over a class action suit shows they know it is being taken seriously is a little relief.

Folks, please keep reporting to NHTSA and make it clear it is a huge safety issue!!!! Only way for a recall. PS this is the Facebook site: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/BEWARE-OF-2005-NISSAN-PATHFINDERS-/114117588602- 598?fref=ts
  • while i ditched my broken Pathfinder a year and still curse Nissan to this day...i received a piece of junk mail from them today. How interesting the warranty has been extended to cover the radiator and its component parts (transmission, not power train) to 10yrs/100,000 miles- whichever comes first. Still no RECALL!

Now the real fun part to this "wonderful"news from this piece of crap company is that it comes with a...wait for it....CO-PAY! That's right! If one were to exercise the 10yr/100K miles you get to pay 3K yourself! How wonderful is that!!!!!! Oh thank you Nissan for extending the warranty on something that should be RECALLED. Your commitment to your owners safety and satisfaction is like no one else.

For those who have paid for fixes already there is an online claim form that you can submit in the next few weeks at www.nissanassist.com. Of course they state that this reimbursement is subject to certain terms, conditions, and exclusion. Wonder if I can get them to pay for all my rental cars and repairs that we not needed?????

Meanwhile I am very happy with my Honda Pilot and the quality of care that Honda provides to me as an owner.
  • This was a message I posted a few days ago. This is about a class action lawsuit Nissan settled and is only to save their butts a little and still end up with big ripped off bucks. Did you sign up for a class action suit? The reason I am asking is that the way they word it to me it appears you have to be part of the suit to get reimbursed, but those after the suit get part of it paid for. What I would be concerned with if anyone goes for this is if they set a limit for what they will pay. In our case we paid $6000.00.

I would not be surprised if they set it for something like $4000.00 and we end up paying $3000.00 being over 90,000 miles so end up with only $1000.00. I would rather keep pushing for a recall that will help everyone and teach Nissan a lesson about loyalty and ethics.

My previous message:
    Looks like Nissan has extended the warranty again to avoid admitting a defect in the radiator. Here are the details with links:

Up to 8 years/80,000 miles (whichever comes first): No customer co-pay
    After 8 years/80,000 miles (whichever comes first) up to 9 years/90,000 miles (whichever comes first): Customer co-pay is $2,500
    After 9 years/90,000 miles (whichever comes first) up to 10 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first): Customer co-pay is $3,000

http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiator/faqs.php?menu=22

http://www.nissanatoilcoolersettlement.com/CaseInfo.aspx?pas=nissanatoilcoolerse- - ttlement