Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• Hi gharpman,

Can you provide any contact info with people at Nissan who agreed to replace the radiator and tranny and split the cost of labor? I'm taking my 05 Pathfinder into the dealer on Friday and want to prepare for pushback.
  • Can't give names and contact #'s on Edmunds. E-mail me from your e-mail and i will give you info.
  • Hi,
    Call Nissan North America and explain to them (BEFORE TAKING YOUR CAR IN) the problem you are having, tell them you see online many complaints and open a case with them.
    They should assign you a regional caseworker to take care of it..make sure they do that.
    Also, when you called your local dealership, did you ask them how familiar they are with this problem??? Thats a way to get the service dept to talk to you, that yes, they do see a lot of 05s in there w/ that prob. Thats how I got Nth Americas attention because the local dealership told me, oh yeah, weve been seeing that, youll need the radiator changed at the least.

Good Luck!
  • 99accent99accent Posts: 232
    how much will they actually do for a tune up on a 2003 pathfinder le v6,when its time the the 100,000 mile tune up and whats the cost a fair price.? is this tune done at the dealer to be sure its right.
  • My advice is call a few dealer and ask. The details should be in your manual.
  • qkj2qkj2 Posts: 14
    I am so frustrated with this process...I currently have a file open and they have denied me twice. I refuse to accept no, so they came back again and are now requesting service records for the 30,000 maint. I brought the car @ 38,000 miles and the dealership I brought it from did provide a used car inspection where they checked the car out. I am hoping this is enough for them to finally approve. Did anyone else who was able to get them to pay for the transmission have to go through providing records of service? How was your process??
  • 2005 Nissan Pathfinder 73k miles.
    Have to replace Radiator and Transmission. Fluid leaking from Radiator to Transmission. Nissan will not acknowledge that this is a defect. at 73k miles I should not be replacing the transmission and radiator because of a defect in the pathfinder equipment. Called Nissan, opened a complaint and the investigator states they refuse to help out at all. If this were a case of just a transmission gone bad, I could see, however this is a defect in the pathfinder equipment. CLEARLY. Who has over $5k to pay spur of the moment.
    I am doing the following as well........

CALL NISSAN HEADQUARTERS, COMPLAINT LINE.
    1800-NISSAN1

THEN CALL HIGHWAY SAFETY ADMIN
    888-327-4236
    and WEBSITE COMPLAINT www.safecar.gov

THEN CALL FED TRADE COMMISSION
    1-877-382-4357

RECALLS ARE NEEDED HERE! THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. THE CAR IS DEFECTIVE!!!!
  • POSTED A COMPLAINT WITH WWW.SAFERCAR.COM

2005 NISSAN PATHFINDER HAS PROBLEMS WITH ANTIFREEZE LEAKING INTO THE TRANSMISSION BECAUSE OF SOME DESIGN FLAW. AFTER RESEARCHING THIS PROBLEM I SEE THAT THERE ARE MANY COMPLAINTS OF THIS OCCURRING WITH THIS SAME PARTICULAR MODEL. THE TRANSMISSION STARTS TO MAKE A GRINDING NOISE AND THEN WILL START SLIPPING. NISSAN IS AWARE OF THE PROBLEM BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONE THAT HAS DIAGNOSED IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN, BUT HAVE REFUSED TO ISSUE A TSB OR RECALL. THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS DEFECT AND IS COSTING PEOPLE 5 TO 10 THOUSAND DOLLARS TO FIX. MY 2005 NISSAN PATHFINDER IS AT THE DEALERSHIP TO ADDRESS THIS COSTLY PROBLEM. NISSAN SHOULD CONSIDER THE PROBLEMS THAT TOYOTA IS HAVING RIGHT NOW AND ISSUE A RECALL FOR THIS DEFECT.
    DEALER QUOTE TO REPAIR $5500!!!!!!!!!!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I recommend turning off your CAPS LOCK. People tend to ignore messages typed in ALL CAPS.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • 73k miles just had to replace my radiator and transmission at $5500 out of my pocket. This is clearly a defect in the 2005 pathfinder. Radiator leaking into the
    transmission with NO WARNING signs until it's too late.
    Logged complaints with nissan consumer dept, they refuse to assist financially.
    Logged complaints on safercar.net as well as the bbb.com

EVERYONE THAT HAS THIS ISSUE NEEDS TO LOG COMPLAINTS. NISSAN NEEDS TO OWN UP TO THIS DEFECT.
  • it was a reply to a another members previous post.... actually caught my eye with the caps lock on.
    really serious and costly issues need to be loud i guess....
  • Some Pathfinders are equipped with auxillary transmission fluid coolers. Found in front of radiator on right side. If you have slight contamination of coolant in the transmission then by-pass the radiator. Connect length of 5/16" hose to both inlet and outlets on radiator. Connect the trans fluid cooler lines together using a short 4" butt connection. This will send the fluid through the aux. cooler. Discolored trans fluid? Then do a flush job with dexron lll about 12 quarts.Don't wait until the 4WD Warning light stays lit.
    After almost 3.5 weeks, I was finally approved to have Nissan cover the cost of a new transmission. I have to pay for the radiator but that's better then paying for both! It was way too much back and forth and I believe it was my threats about filing so many complaints that finally made them give in. Either way, its done and I hope that everyone else is able to work it out because this is an issue that they should address regardless of the warranty...stay persistent!
  • Congrats, thats awesome! I'm jealous.
    Do you mind my asking what the milage is?
    I'm fighing their refusal to assist as well.... Hope they come through.
    Thanks!
  • Good for you!!! Congrats!!! Nissan should learn from what's happening to Toyota right now. They should recall most of these Vehicles having repeated problems before its too late. I cannot imagine customers paying huge sums $$$$$$$$$ out of pocket for things that should have been fixed by the Company.
  • I am now having the same issue with the stuttering. What did they do fix your issues?
  • Like the hundreds/thousands of other 2005 pathfinder owners, the studdering/bucking type issues were caused by the radiator leaking fluid into the
    transmission. Other symptoms are hesitations and kicking while the gears are shifting, and excellerating but not moving.
    My car is in the shop as we speak having the transmission replaced, they replaced the radiator and flushed the trani twice, but it was too late. As a side note, its hard to get a rebuilt trani because the major components are so badly damaged they can't save them. Cost is roughly $5300 when all is said and done.
    I would recommend taking it to a shop, referencing this issue and having it tested,
    maybe you can get away with just the radiator replacement.
    How many miles do you have?
  • FYI.. I just got my '05 Pathfinder back from Nissan yesterday. I had purchased a warranty with the vehicle at the time of purchase. The warranty has covered pretty much everything to this point (warranty won't cover flushes). Nissan replaced the radiator and then flushed out the transmission several times with bulk fluid before filling with synthetic fluid. So far they have not replaced the transmission. Have only driven the Pathfinder from the dealer back to my house yesterday, everything appears normal. Wife took it to work today, we'll see if the transmission acts up at all over the next couple weeks. If so, will be back to get the transmission replaced.
    I have 58,000 miles so I caught it just in time...they did deny me twice - the first time they said they wouldn't cover since it was the radiator that caused the failure and the second time they came back and said I was not a loyal customer since this was my first Nissan. I "vented" for 1/2 hour how this was just wrong, mentioned all the websites that have customers with the same issues and advised that I was filing complaints with BBB, Federal Trade Comm & Nat'l Hwy Safety Admn. They came back and asked for receipts for the 30,000 mile service and 2 days later I was approved. It's still costing me $1025 just for the radiator as they are forcing me to use a Nissan part and not an outside manufacturer. I also fussed about that as I don't trust the Nissan radiator since this is what is causing the problem....the dealers response was "Nissan knows about the issues with the radiator so I'm sure they fixed this model, it's not the same as the one your vehicle" *sigh* I hope I don't have any other issues and Nissan is right, I'm not a loyal customer as I will never purchase another Nissan vehicle again.
  • A service dept.quote: Radiator A 21460-ZL11A Replaces 21460-E LIST $521.78 NET $428.72 Labor ????
  • I am dealing with Nissan now on the radiator/transmission issues. I was told by the Nissan USA rep that they have not had any complaints with this in the past....that's not true! Then the manager left me a message and said "You know Nissan's stand on the issue. Call with any new messages." Nice customer service. My service advisor at the Nissan dealership agrees that my transmission should be covered under warranty and tried to get Nissan to take care of it to no avail. The dealer I brought my car into had someone in two weeks prior to me going in with the same problem. They got their repairs covered by Nissan. However, Nissan has recently suspended that claim (after the work was completed) and now the dealer is out the money. I have contacted the BBB and have an open complaint with them and am now collecting the needed paperwork to send to them. Hopefully they can help get this issue resolved and have Nissan pay for the transmission. My Pathfinder is an '07 with 59,000 miles on it. I am so disgusted with the lack of concern on Nissan's part. They are not standing behind their cars and clearly don't care about their customers!
  • Call Nissan USA and ask for the next level Manager. Keep going up the Ladder. Contact your Local TV Stations. There is usually a "Help Me" reporter. And tell him or her about Nissan's lack of compliance.
    I feel as if they are trying to get me for as much as possible since they are covering the transmission at no cost. They quoted me $745 for the Nissan radiator and $280 for labor...I just want my truck back, it has been at the dealership for exactly 1 month today.
  • dcgonefishndcgonefishn Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    still have not taken pathfinder to tranny shop to have transmission mount replaced as recommended by them. As posted earlier, we had the torque converter replaced and we still are experiencing the vibration that so many others are having. Considering also doing the bypass tranmission cooler that some have recomended, but I am afraid that damage has already been done and this would be a waste of time.
    I may end up in jail with the complaint that I filed with www.safecar.gov today.I guess it would be worth it if it would cause enough customers to complain and finally get Nissan to admit they are at fault and do something about this problem. Any suggestions?
  • They're screwing you. Under an arrangement with nissan north america and my dealership i paid $450 (1/2 dealer labor cost) and it took about 2-3 wks for it to be done. It's time to turn into Satan and get on their asses.
  • I reported defect to department of transportaion, highway safety council. Do the same.
  • danscdansc Posts: 4
    That quote is high by 25% or so.

I have in hand an invoice for that exact job (replacement of a radiator in a 2005 Pathfinder) it breaks down as follows:
    Labor $250.00
    Radiator $389.00
    Antifreeze $24.99
    Discounts $-66.40 (Parts + Labor)
    Sub total: $597.59
    Shop fees: $42.50
    Sales tax: $60.81
    Total cost: $700.90

I’d be happy to email you a copy for you to go show to your dealer.

My story summary:
    Transmission failed Mar 2009, I saw this forum and went "Uh-oh"
    Dealer replaced transmission under warranty (Under 60k miles)
    3 months later the radiator leaked into the transmission and ate the new one!
    Dealer replaced the transmission at their cost, but charged me for the radiator - Nisson wouldn't negotiate AT ALL with us.

The rig is still running but I plan on replacing it next year. We will never buy a Nissan again.
    I'm annoyed now...Initially they said I could go with an after-market radiator and with labor & antifreeze it would be $702. They then called me back and stated that Nissan will not cover my transmission costs if I do not use the Nissan radiator and thus came the crazy quote of $1025. I called parts today to get a price on a nissan radiator and was quoted $521.78, that is not the same $745 (radiator alone) I was quoted originally...I am beyond angry because I called to (1) find out the status of my truck (2) inquire about the differences in the radiator cost and the operator claims there is only 1 service advisor @ the shop today and kept me on hold for 36 minutes before I hung up.

dansc if you could email me your quote, I would appreciate it. I am going to the dealership tomorrow prepared for all out war....Nissan will never get my money again!!
  • I stumbled on this post yesterday and after further research I ran out to order a new radiator. My 2005 Pathfinder SE has 110,000 miles and I've had minimal problems with it, this is the best vehicle I've ever owned and though I do think it's shady on Nissan's part not fix something that is a known problem I will continue purchasing vehicles from them. I do appreciate the posts on here and will be doing my preventative maintenance today. Also I was able to find a PDF copy of the 2005 Pathfinder Service manual online for $20, This manual looks to be OEM and is easy to follow. If anyone wants to tackle this (assuming your transmission is still good) on their own you can reply to this and I'll include the link for the manual. Good luck to all.
  • Just got my 2006 Pathfinder back from the mechanic, transmission fluid ended up in the radiator and vs. versa. It looked like chocolate milk. It cost me $1,500.00 and the shop isn't positive that the transmission is ok. The mechanic contacted a local dealer looking for a new radiator and heard from them this has been a common problem....I will contact and complain to the sources listed, but has anyone heard any news about a recall? Used to love Nissan's, now I'm not that thrilled!