Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1999 Isuzu Rodeo Shift Lock Control

msozioflmsoziofl Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Isuzu
Does anyone know how to fix the shift lock control on a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo. I usually have to rock the car a bit to get the shift lock to release in order to put the car in gear (automatic). The other work around is to start the car in Neutral.

Comments

• rodeo4rodeo4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar problem, but mine is I can't remove the key. It will not move to the LOCK position to allow key to come out. Anyone?
  • bmendellbmendell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Rodeo and the key is stuck in the ignition. Is this maybe a factory defect of some sort? Anybody???
  • rodeo4rodeo4 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem, especially when driving on bumpy dirt roads. I sprayed WD-40 in the ignition, it took a couple of days but it eventually came out. Had to wipe the key each time though! As of this date it hasn't stuck. Don't know if that was the problem solver or not but it worked.
  • alive003alive003 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Rodeo.

I took the cover off the steering column by removing 4 screws. (I had to remove the dash by removing 2 screws behind the Hood release and yanking the cover off. This is how i gained access to the two forward most bolts on the steering column cover.) From hear I can see the shift interlock on the top right of the sterring column. Pull the white lever to release the key lock. Turn the key to lock and remove your key.

Now i need to know, how to adjust this shift interlock so that i do not have to manually move the lever in order to remove my key or shift my car from park. Help?
  • al8729al8729 Member Posts: 2
    Hey

Its a simple fix - you just need to put your right hand underneath the dash, under the ignition switch with the stuck key, and feel around for the stiff transmission-shift-lock cable, and just giggle it about a bit. Try all directions, don't be aggressive with it; and eventually you will be able to turn the key to the LOCK position. Good luck
  • COnativeCOnative Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am having the same problem with my '98. The key sticks, and unless the cable is in the correct point, I can't start the car, even if it's in Neutral. For about a week, the car would start everytime, only the key wouldn't come out. Now I have to jiggle the shifter while turning the key until it starts. Is there some kind of switch at the steering-column end of the cable that could be bad?

Thanks!
  • ambervamberv Member Posts: 1
    my key does the same thing. all i do is hold down the brake and then jerk it out of park. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. then the key will move. you can try to remove the shifter and see if their is any problems there. i have taken mine apart three times and it still doesnt work.
This discussion has been closed.