Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Engine and Performance Problems

2»

Comments

• I'm having the same issue. My 2011 Escape 4 cyl. 2 wheel drive, started vibrating when stopped at a stop sign, in gear at idle. I started to put the escape in neutral to minimize the vibration. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced an engine mount but the vibration is still there. They said there is nothing more they can do that it's a natural characteristic of the 4 cylinder engine. I'm pursuing matters through Ford. I will update if I get anywhere.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Yes, absent the inclusion of a balance shaft to damper those vibrations an I4 will exhibit your complaints, especially at idle.

But Ford is too cheap for that.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Willard, I respect your knowledge, despite your anti-Ford bias. But I have an 08 Escape with the 4-pot, and it doesn't vibrate at idle. It's rough, it's noisy, it's annoying, and I much prefer the 6, but it doesn't vibrate.
    For some folks "rough" might equate to "vibration".
    At this moment I can't think of any marque for which I am not "anti-" in some respect.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,143
    Good time of the year for some resolutions. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kellovkellov Posts: 1
    My wife left the door to our 2011 town and country open over night. Car started up fine, but the gauges are not operating today, wipers stay on, turn signals do not work. Any ideas?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,143

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mjc14mjc14 Posts: 1
    My '05 Escapre recently started slipping/vibrating when I hold it at 45 mph or 60 mph. No codes show when we run diagnostics on it. Twice now it has thrown up the theft signal. Today my engine light started flashing, but went off. Now my airbag light is on and staying on. We recently had a complete tune up to see if that would help.
  • Last week my 2005Ford Escape Hybrid engine blew up. Yes two pistons pushed through the engine block. It only had 63,000 miles on it, I only took it to the dealer for repair since buying it new (no one else would touch a hybrid). So I am looking at $8,000 plus to replace the engine. Does anyone know of a way to get Ford to help with some of the costs?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,529

That's going to be tough with a thrown rod but you certainly can try. As it stands the vehicle is just about totaled unfortunately, unless perhaps you found a good used engine. It doesn't seem wise to invest $8000, but of course that is your decision. That's pretty unusual for two pistons to let loose, so maybe Ford needs to examine the interior of this engine before "blaming" you.

2»