Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,702
    Take off the passenger hush panel.

Take off the 7 screws along the bottom hinge of the glovebox. With those both out of the way you'll be able to see both and watch their actions with the key ON and when changing the settings on the dash or on passenger door.. One does passenger, one does driver. And I believe it's the bottom is driver.

This message has been approved.

• HI, I had the same problem on my 2002 blower motor. I would beat on the dash and it would start up. Got tired of that so I took the blower motor out and took it apart and found black soot pluging up the works. Cleaned it out put back together now works great........Alan................Note the blower motor was made in Korea !!
  • I have a 95 buick lesabre custom. It is leaking gas and i need an engine diagram or something to figure out what the part i need is called so i can get it fixed can anyone help?
    Why do you believe it's leaking gas? What are the symptoms?

There are places on an engine where gas can leak. There are connections on the flexible fuel lines at the fuel rails that holds the injectors.

There is a FPR (fuel pressure regulator) which controls the fuel pressure based on engine vacuum, sensing the demand for power from the engine. These in some cases were recalled because they could leak into the vacuum tube connected to them and let raw fuel get into the intake manifold where there usually is only air; occasionally a spark would ignite that mixture and the upper intake manifold would crack from the pressure inside.

There is raw fuel at each injector. There are o-rings around each injector (two) and these might leak with age allowing raw fuel to seep out.

Your brief description sounds like you are smelling gasoline and believe it's in the engine compartment.

You also can have fuel leak at the metal line from the gas tank which is under pressure by the right rear tire.

You also can have a fuel leak at the fuel filter in that line from the tank. The fuel filter is under the rear passenger's right foot. It's about the size of a caffeine drink can (Red Bull?). the connections there might be leaking.

At the back of the car rust is a major problem if the car doesn't get sprayed off regularly when the car gets salt underneath in the winter in the northern parts.
    There

• I have a 98 LeSabre, a strange thing happened! It was running fine, took the car in for a oil change and it died. They had to push it out of the garage bay. It has battery power but will not start. I turn the key and NOT A SOUND...Garage is baffled now they think the security system is messed up. Can not find security code to reset. Does this sound right or am I getting ripped off, they been working on it 3 days and that's 3 days I have not been able to go to work, so time is money. Can anyone give me the code to pass along to the garage ? Thanks for any help.
  • i saw the gas coming out thats how i know its in the engine compartment. I got the leak fixed today turns out it was just a small clip that was broken instead of the whole piece which i also figured out what that was by searching through catalogs at my work (schucks). now I just need to figure out why my car is "sputtering" when you accelerate from a stop. since there are quite a few things that can cause it im starting small and working my way from there. If anyone has suggestions that could cause that, that I may have not thought of yet that would be helpful also. I just bought the car so im not really sure what has been done recently, I just changed the plugs and that is all I have done so far.
    If you turn the key to ON and the security light comes on, it should go off after 5 seconds or less if the VATS reads the right key resistance in the chip. If the wrong resistance is read, the security light flashes for 3 minutes and prevents the fuel injectors and the starter from operating. After 3 minutes it's ready to read a resistance on another key. When you turn the key to ON all the lights and indicators operate, but no crank.

Wrong resistance is because of breaking wires in the tilt region of the steering wheel or wear on the two metal sensors that touch the contacts on the key in the lock cylinder.

If the VATS is not flashing, it might be battery connections at the double positive cables. Sometimes corrosion between them causes funny things to happen.

Had the security light been on or off at times while driving? Is it flashing now?

http://vats.likeabigdog.com/

• Thanks, I have forwarded it to my mechanic. Hope it works !!
  • Apparently, YES it's a problem!! I have a 2003 with 78K and the cap needs to have special attention to make sure it's secure OR you WILL get a check engine light. Once the cap is secure, the warning will go away after a few start-ups. And unfortunately if the gas cap needs replaced, your Auto-Zone replacement won't work....it MUST be a GM cap.

Fred
  • 2001 LeSabre limited with 109000 miles. The oil level is full and the engine runs smooth. But.... the digital readout indicates an oil pressure of 129 psi. (it also indicates "Pressure Normal", boy is it confused) The oil pres. light dosen't light up. I believe this to be the sender. Any ideas, also where is the sender?

Another issue, with a quarter tank of fuel the guage moves back and forth from full to empty to half to a quarter after we get under way then finally settles down. Another sensor??
    Thanks for any help.
    Some people have had a failure of the pressure sensor and get that high reading. You would need to verify that the reading changes when removing the wire from the sensor and/or making a direct connection. You would need to check a factory service manual to verify proper tests.

The pressure sensor is above the oil filter (remove oil filter). People with some undercar ability have replaced their own sensor.

• The wandering gas gauge is a typical problem that plagues Buicks.

The high pressure might just be when the engine is cold. Look at your pressure reading again after the engine is at operating temp.
    I get a similar "high" reading when engine is cold.

Fred
  • hi,i'm in cambridge in the united kingdom,been left a 1992 le sabre by a uncle previously in the usaf based at raf mildenhall since passed away.car in garage for 10 years not started.tried jump starting with another car but wont start.while checking diagnostic connector near steering column jumper link fell out,need to know which pins it connects to.I need to put it back.second problem,cut battery restraining bracket with angle grinder to fit new battery but cut through black plastic hose under battery tray,whats this tubing for?anyone help thanks Steve..in the uk and no buick mechanics here..
    edited March 2010
    I do not know about a jumper in the assembly line diagnostic connector.
    I remember a black tube near the battery but don't recall what it was.

What you really need is a Helm service manual for that year Buick LeSabre.

The cover will be like this.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-92-Buick-LeSabre-Shop-Service-Repair-Manual_- - W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255967efacQQitemZ160413773740QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5f- - Literature

I am not recommending any particular auction. I believe the manual actually is a two part set for 1993. But you are in need of a 1992. I did see one offer for an electrical manual for 1992 and that may be the other part.

Helminc.com is the official supplier and the cost will probably be $120-$135 there exclusive of shipping to UK.

Click on my user name for this post and you will see a box with my email in it. Send me a note and I'll suggest a couple of other help ideas for you.

• I had trouble with an intermittent blower motor. When it wasn't working I could either hit the dashboard on the passenger side or kick the panel underneath and the motor would start off slow and then pick up speed. A similar report by ,xfilesalan on 9-25-09, report he took the motor apart and found soot. I removed my motor and notice black soot falling out. There are two screws on the bottom. I removed these screws and pried the motor assembly off about a half inch but not all the way off. The I tapped, rotated and clean as best I could with a can of air. Put the motor back and it now works as it should. Removing the motor is fairly easy. Remove the panel underneath the glovebox
    (mine had two screws holding it). With that panel removed you can see the motor. Mine had an air hose which slips onto a pipe. Remove the back screws of the motor first as the front screw will hold the motor in place. Clean the motor as described above. When installing the motor put the rubber hose on first and the front screw, then the back two screws. Took me less than one hour.