Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    I don't think so. I'm not sure there are many cars with windows that go down all the way anymore.
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    If you're worried about your dog, maybe consider doing what I do, using a harness that buckles in, I've seen a dog go out a window one time when the car took a corner, dog was fine, but that was all I needed to see to go buy a harness.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    My dog jumped out of my neighbor's 240sx once, while moving. We were taking a slow corner, fortunately.

After that he was harnessed or in a crate.
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 322
    If you look at the rear doors you will find that it is not about reprogramming. The windows could not physically go any lower due to the configuration of the door.

I like the idea others had of crating or harnessing your dog so he won't possibly get hurt.
  • bikerguy3bikerguy3 Posts: 43
    The size/shape/angle of the rear doors on the Forester prevent the rear window from
    being able to go all the way down. (and yes, this is very common in most sedans &
    SUV's nowadays). So there really is no viable way to change that.

While we are talking about doors, I'd like to share something here I learned recently
    while taking my '09 Foresters doors apart (to install aftermarket speakers). There have been numerous posts regarding a rattling noise from inside the front passenger
    door, especially over bumps and when it is cold outside. The rattle has been attributed to loose wire-cabling, but what I found when I removed the front door
    interior panel is that there is (for some reason I don't understand) a square
    "waffle-holed" plastic piece that is inserted into an opening in the door frame sheet
    metal. This plastic piece fits quite loosely (at least in my case) and is subject to
    rattling around. What I did to fix this was apply some window putty around the
    edges of the plastic piece. Voila - No more rattle.
  • sflorasflora Posts: 35
    Subaru makes a divider screen for the cargo area so dogs can ride back there - probably the safest way to go. Not sure if there's one available for 2009's though.
    even with the divider screen the dog is still unsecure in the back and can be injured. If you don't ride around without your seatbelt on why would you let your dog be unsecured? I'm a BIG proponent of spending $25 and getting a harness, Petsmart or Petco have them, very easy to put on and very easy to buckle in, secure your dogs!
  • kmg422kmg422 Posts: 10
    OK Thanks..just came from a toyota camry where the windows went all the way down...I have a harness for my dog, however, perhaps I am doing something wrong, but she moves around constantly and gets all tangled up and I found that more dangerous, she's a mid-sized lab/sheppard mix
    Just went there over the weekend, looked yet again at lots of small SUVs.

Despite the complaints here about the cheap interior trim in the Forester, I gotta say, it's par for the class and I didn't find any similarly priced models that were significantly better.

The arm rests in the Forester are actually the softest, most plus you'll find in that class. The only competitor that even comes close is the CR-V, and that's only when it comes to the seat-mounted inboard arm rests. The rest are all thinly padded or just plain hard.

I also looked at things like headliners, and again almost all of them have peach-fuzz-on-cardboard cheap liners now. Probably to save on weight and cost, but I think there was perhaps a single exception for the entire class, so again this is par.

A-pillars are all hard plastic, and dashes are no longer padded. Across the board, pretty much. Even models like the Tiguan, which half heartedly try to appear upscale, have hard surfaces everywhere, especially on the lower half.

What else did I notice, besides elbow rests and A-pillars and headliners? Let me see...sun visors.

Same thing - cheap hard plastic is now class-standard. I can't even recall a single exception to that rule among compact SUVs. You had to step up to the Tribeca/Outback class to get padding and fabric covers for those.

I guess it was a good show because even as I walked around and checked out all the small crossovers again, I kept coming back to the Forester as my favorite. Ours belongs to my wife but I have to say I'd probably choose the Forester as well, only I'd opt for the 5 speed manual instead of her automatic.

No 2010s there, just 09s, so nothing new.

We did see the 2010 Legacy and Outback. They got much roomier back seats, a small dose of cost cutting, and should have lower starting prices when they launch this summer.

Sounds a lot like the 2009 Forester, no?
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,749
    I learned today that if you change the air filter, be sure to reconnect the air mass sensor cable when done. Otherwise, if you start up with it disconnected:

The CHECK ENGINE light comes on,
    The VDC "off" light comes on,
    The CRUISE control light will flash (Cruise is disabled).

Reconnecting the air mass sensor, all the lights went out after the engine had been shut down and restarted three times.

My service adviser tells me this is normal behavior during a CHECK ENGINE situation, and that, if the condition is then corrected, stop/restart engine three times will reset the system.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    Well. that's good to know. Thanks! :)
    The '09 XT's air filter, at 8500 miles, was looking surprisingly dirty. Probably half its surface was gray (there are large clouds of dust raised by trucks and cars on Oregon roads. This could be residue of the gravel they use on roads during the winter months.).

Replacing the filter was not quite as easy as the manual says. The stiffness of the air hoses makes the housing hard to move, unless you loosen the clamp of the hose attached to the air cleaner housing.

Looking closely at the older filter, the upward facing pleats had dirt forced through to the pleat's innermost surface. Downward facing pleats had much less dirt on them.

Are there more robust engine air filters for the Forester?
    (Not the K & M stuff, though - my understanding is those let more dirt as well as more air into the engine.).
    Interesting. I'm sure it's emissions related.

Lucien missed a vacuum hose on his intake once and the vehicle would not start up and then die after a while, with the same light.

OBDII regulations are strict...
  • sflorasflora Posts: 35
    I just replaced mine also on my non-turbo. The manual was a little clearer on this than changing the cabin air filter, and it did say you had to loosen the hose clamp. But I don't think you can take the cover all the way out as they illustrate - although you disconnect the sensor cable it remains attached further down. But it opened enough to change the filter and clean the inside of the compartment reasonably well. The real challenge was putting it back together, since you can't see the bottom and space is tight it was difficult to get everything lined up.

That's one thing I miss about a 4-cyl Accord I used to have - the filter box was out in open, facing up, held together with four clips. Took about 15 seconds to change it, no tools. I also owned a 6-cyl Accord, but doing a filter change on that was a nightmare, worse than the Forester.

Looks like I've been getting about 1 mpg better mileage, guess I should change it more often.
  • robm2robm2 Posts: 53
    Lately I have been leaving AT in "sport"mode, which changes the shift points so the engine lugs less around town, and gears are held longer. Not sure what this will do to fuel economy, but it makes XT a little more responsive.

The XT + 4EAT is much better in Sport mode. Smoother, and we actually get better gas mileage too! I have no complaints about the 4EAT. My previous car was an '04 4-Runner with a 5-speed auto. There's really no appreciable difference between 4 and 5 speed autos, (unless the 5th gear is taller, which it probably isn't).
    There's really no appreciable difference between 4 and 5 speed autos, (unless the 5th gear is taller, which it probably isn't).

Most cars I've driven with 5S AT's seem to use 5th gear as overdrive rather than changing all ratios to make better use of the extra gear. GM's Saturn ION, when switched from a 5S AT to a 4S AT, managed better mileage and performance.

The '09 XT varies its torque converter far more than most 4S AT's I've driven, which helps mask lack of the 5th gear. Only time I'd miss 5th would be driving at freeway speeds above 75 mph (rare in Oregon, commonplace in CA).

Meanwhile, what's with VW Tiguan? There's a CUV with a 6-speed auto that's not only slower than the XT, but uses more fuel !!
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    And a smaller back seat too....
  • The same thing happened to me...CEL comes on, no more cruise control, while I was on a trip. Took it to the dealer and they checked it out and said the gas cap wasn't on tight enough. I always tighten it until it clicks several times. So now I push in on it while tightening it to make sure it is even tighter.

That was fine until the other day the gas cap broke and it wouldn't come off...it would just spin round and round. I had enough gas to get home and I ended up taking channel locks and breaking the outer part of the cap off (very easy to do) so I could get to the inner cap that actually seals the tank opening. That sufficed until I could get a new cap (which I'm still trying to get from the dealer...it is under warranty). On the same note, I bought a replacement cap (a Stant) from an auto parts store so I wouldn't have to fool with the idiot dealer, but it wouldn't screw down all the way to seal. It was the right part per their lookup, but it obviously wasn't the correct part for the car.
    What is "SPC" kurt?
    I think they meant to say SPT (subaru performance tuning) but used an older description (SPC appears to be "subaru performance components")
    Trying to get this sorted out on the oil thread went nowhere :confuse: ...maybe will fare better here.

I've been running Subaru/Dealer recommended oil and ASL Camguard in my '09 XT.
    The Camguard, its maker (former Exxon oil chemist) tells me, enhances a number of properties that make the oil more resistant to turbo heat.

The alternative to that combo is a synthetic oil. However, when I asked both Subaru and my dealer about synthetics, Subaru said they had not done specific testing with it but felt it was ok ( provided I adhere to the regular oil change schedule - last part was in CAPS), and my dealer said I might encounter seal weeping and additional oil consumption by switching to Synthetic.

Foresterers, what've been your experiences?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,651
    Kurt, my response is not Forester-specific, but I use Amsoil Signature 0w-30 on all my vehicles (new and old), and I have found none of them to consume additional oil or develop seal leaks as a result of using the synthetic. I change my oil and filter once per year (put about 10-20K miles per year on each of my primary vehicles), and the oil remains a beautiful golden brown color over the duration.

I have not sent oil samples in for lab analysis, though I might if I had a high-performance car.

On my minivan, I started using synthetic at 170,000 miles two years ago and now have just over 200,000 on it.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Posts: 775
    Been using Quaker State full synthetic 5W-30 in my 04 FXT (and my other cars as well) since the second oil change. It has 56K miles on it now, and no issues. I change oil every 7,500 miles, add a total of about a quart between oil changes.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Posts: 426
    Kurt, I have used Mobil 1 5w-30 in all 5 of our Foresters and have had zero problems with anything. I change oil and filter @5K to 6K on my wife's Bean, and once a year on my Premium since I don't use it a lot anymore and barely put on 4K a year.

I started using Mobil 1 back in '88 with my Dodge Shadow turbo and have been a believer ever since.

Mobil formulates their synthetic oil to protect against seal shrinkage, and if the rings have been seated properly there should be no additional consumption either.
    I'll see if my dealer offers Mobil 1. thanks.

Service tech and I talked about switching to synthetic and felt that around 10k miles would be good as that gives XT enough time to get thoroughly broken in.
    So far it does not seem to be burning any oil.
    cars101.com posted a bit of info on the 2010 Forester.

Model, transmission and engine choices appear to be the same as the '09s
    (no 6 speed manual, no 5 speed auto, no CVT, no XTI.)

There are a few new option groupings. Apparently they're using the same Kenwood nav system, but tweaked with bluetooth.

2010's are supposed to appear in June 2009.

Now I can stop worrying about a 5-spd auto outdating my XT ! :shades:
    They added Bluetooth but not a backup cam. Bummer. The hardware for a backup cam retails at under $100, why couldn't they add that as well?

When you have a trailer it really helps line up your hitch.

X Premium gets a power driver's seat.

So our Limited is basically unchanged, since we didn't get NAV.
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/05/04/459374.html

apparently derived from a Subaru press release....
    except the photo's not a 2010 or 2009 Forester. :confuse:
    Does anyone know what the tread life mileage on the stock Geos are? I can't seem to find it anywhere?
    Looks like a 2008 Sports XT model.

I expect to get about 35k out of the OE tires.

I got only 28k out of the ones on my 1998 model, but these seem a bit better.