Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,674
    It's not bad on Imprezas, sort of a rust/orange.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'm not sure I've seen those in person. I'll keep an eye out.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    What's the black tag on the side of the passenger seatback? Designer label? Safety warning? Would look much better without. :confuse:
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,507
    On my '08 Outback, there were "SRS Airbag" labels on the sides of the seat backs for the side air bags, if I recall correctly. Perhaps that is it?

Oh, actually, now that I go back and look, if you are talking about the little black tag sewn into the top of the seam along the side, yes, that is exactly what it is.
    Yeah, I hope the rendition is awful, because otherwise those colors are simply hideous. I miss the days of deep reds, greens, and blues.
    You know, after looking at that brochure, I think I will drive a Forester along with the new Legacy and Outback models when I get back up here from the Lower 48. Hopefully my local dealership will have all of the newest models in stock by then.
    There's something hard to quantify about the Forester.

On paper, our 2002 Legacy was a better car than our 1998 Forester, but the Forester was just more....fun? Tossable? Accessible? User friendly?

All of the above, really.

And my wife likes the 2009 model much better than the 1998 (I like both, in fact I miss my manual transmission at times). To her, our 2002 Legacy was a distant 3rd. To me as well, come to think of it.

Try one out.
  • The Limited Foresters do not have faux wood trim. I sell Subaru's and drive an 09 and find no problem with the silver finish. Maybe you are light sensitive.
  • I have a 2010 Forester in Paprika Red in stock at Schaumburg Subaru. The new color looks great on the Forester, stop in and ask for me.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,724
    The only problem with the '09/10 XT silver finish is it's very easy to damage.
    The plastics, in particular, have no protective coat over the paint.

A pity Subaru does not at least offer an option of "tuffcoat" finishes.
    How would you compare it to Camilla Red Pearl?

Lighter? More orange-ish in the color? Is it metallic or pearl?

The on-line PDF file doesn't really display the colors well at all.
    This is funny, a new distributor just opened in my home town of Recife, Brazil, so my brother is now shopping for a Forester. Hilarious.

Automobiles are taxed heavily there, so his price is roughly the equivalent of $44,000 US dollars. Ouch.

Still, it's priced between a Kia Sportage and a Honda CR-V. So compared to local alternatives, it's actually a good value.
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    I remember someone was having problems with this earlier in a thread, I took mine out yesterday, it was relatively easy, unhooked the side cylinder, popped the hooks on the bottom, twisted the glove compartment to the right and out it came. I didn't replace the filter, I just pulled it out and sprayed it clean with a hose. Dried it out for a few hours and then popped it back in. Glove compartment went back in fairly easy, probably took a total of 5 minutes to take off and put on, no tools, AND no 35-40 bucks for a stupid air filter!!!
    Cool. You didn't happen to get photos of the process of removing the glove box, did you?
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 303
    To me it looks A LOT more orangy, and it is a lighter color than the other red.. It is kinda metallic.

They have brochures at my local dealer now. Also, the Impreza comes in the same color, so they should have some at your local dealer to check out the color.
    The colors in the online PDF are all out of wack, so don't go by that. I have the actual 2010 Forester brochure, and the colors are fine there.

Bob
    The funny thing is, I never thought seeing another model in the same color was a good indication of how it would look. The Forester is taller and bigger and probably has a lot more paint on it.

Well, maybe not if you got the moonroof. :D
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    I don't know how to post pictures, if you know how to post pictures I'll take some and post them for you?
  • babootbaboot Posts: 3
    We recently purchased a 2009 Subaru Forester Limited. Just now when attaching my EZ Pass, I noticed what seems to be a solar shield (?) above the rear view mirror that is about a 16" x 4". This is exactly where I want to install the velcro adhesives for the transponder. But, I am wondering if the EZ Pass will work. I am thinking perhaps not.

Any one have any experience with this or know anything about this "shield" and if transponders are blocked by it?
  • connieyleeconnieylee Posts: 29
    Hi there...I have a 2009 limited also and the solar shield is great. Yes, the EZpass works!
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Set up your CarSpace profile page at http://www.carspace.com/tinycadon - you can build photo albums there for all to view. Just upload the photos into an album from your computer, and everyone can go to your page and see them.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • calessancalessan Posts: 18
    I installed mine just below that solar shield, to the right of the mirror. Works fine!
  • bohoboho Posts: 5
    I'm buying a S.F. in a month and want to do it as cheaply as possible. Prefer no options except for automatic transmission which my wife demands. Is there any option you think is really desirable? I'm retired and will be driving around Boulder, CO, so except for some trips to ski resorts, pretty mundane driving. I'd like your opinion on really useful options?
  • the radio system is horrible- probably better to get after market. i got a sweet deal from Lori at flatirons in boulder
    If you're living in Colorado I would absolutely recommend the All-Weather-Package (AWP). It includes heated seats (a winter must-have!), heated outside mirrors (dries the mirrors in the rain and snow), and the windshield deicer (helps prevent ice buildup on the front wipers).

This package is not available on the base Forester X, but is optional on the X Premium, and is standard on Limited models.

I know you want to save money, but I really think this is worth the extra money. We have it on two of our Subarus, and would never buy another Subaru without the AWP. The first time you use the bun warmers on cold winter morning, you will be sold, I guarantee it. :)

Bob
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    It will work!! If you are not sure, next time passing through toll booth hold it up with your hand, but I have had a few vehicles with that "shield" and no problem
  • billwvbillwv Posts: 48
    I have the 2.5X with 4AT and love it.

I agree -- the only option I wish I had is the wiper de-icer and mirror heater -- but, these become very expensive considering you must upgrade to the premium.

Winter wiper blades do help with ice and snow, especially if the car sits out overnight in winter.

Bill
    Well, if you're going to live with a vehicle for 5 or more years, I'd get as much car as I can afford. Perhaps better stated is get a car with the features you want. Otherwise you may have regrets.

I've never been one to buy the "cheapest" car out there. Every time I've done that, I've been sorry in the long run.

Bob
  • connieyleeconnieylee Posts: 29
    Agreed. I had a base model honda for 15 yrs as I'm pretty utilitarian. I upgraded to this Fozzie and LOVE it...didn't know I could love a car. I love the huge moonroof, the leather heated seats are so nice as they heat up before the heater does, and the 6-way power seats come in super handy.

I had had some reservations going for jump in price from the premium vs the limited, but no regrets now. I do believe the 2010 premium has the moonroof and heated seats, although they're not leather.
  • billwvbillwv Posts: 48
    I do appreciate where you guys are coming from, and agree 100%, do not leave out something you will later regret.

The key words in the original post were: "as cheaply as possible" and "retired".

I am also retired and a major issue for me was: I do not want a moon roof. So, everyone has his own preferences. Its unfortunate the builders do not offer more combinations.

One other negative on the base is that the passanger seat has no height adjustment -- so, if someone is going to be riding there a lot, have them check it out.

These really are fine cars, with or without all the extras.

Bill