Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yes, I do like that microfiber materials, but more importantly it's well padded underneath, so my elbows have a nice place to rest.

volkov: brrr.

It's only now getting cold enough for us to really appreciate the seat heaters. Wifey loves 'em. :shades:

Bob: did you sample a higher level model? Mine was base. It has cloth seats with manual adjustments.

Our Forester is loaded but it was still about $4 grand lower in sticker price.
    one had to go to the LL Bean edition to get self-leveling rear suspension

Name one competitor in the compact crossover class that offers this feature.

(crickets chirping)
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    The other big bust on the Tiguan is that the promised Diesel has no fixed release in NA. Before anyone jumps on me, I am quite positive about the new clean diesel they have developped for the Jetta. I believe that they thought it was underpowered for the Tig, but I'd bet most potential diesel customers wouldn't mind given its efficiency. That plus the fact that in Europe it comes with an even smaller less powerful engine.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    It's only now getting cold enough for us to really appreciate the seat heaters.

Hey Juice, when did you move to Alaska? Last I checked, DC morning lows were only in the 50s! Even us wusses living in the desert don't use our seat heaters until it gets a lot colder than that :P

-Frank
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    Base FWD model for me too. The universal complaint about the Tiguan is price.

All road tests that I've read speak highly of the vehicle, until the MSRP comes up.

Bob
    I'm from Brazil, 50 degrees is cold to me! LOL :D
    That's just it.

You're paying a Tribeca price for a Forester competitor. So it should be a lot nicer, but it just isn't.

Mostly, though, it's smaller than we would have wanted. Just get a GTI 5 door and save thousands of dollars.
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    Speaking of armrests, does the Forester still have those handy little storage compartments in all four door armrests? I have them on my '01 and find them quite useful.

Len
  • Nothing for storage in the doors save for the near-floor slots below the armrests, which were apparently enlarged a bit for '09.
    Thanks, Kurt. My '01 has the door pockets, too, but there are also rubber-lined storage compartments, with hinged covers, in the armrests of all four doors. I guess Subaru did away with them. They sure are handy for small item storage.

Len
    My 98 had those 4 compartments, too, but they were very small, basically 2 cassette tapes would fill it up (if you're too young to know what those are, I'm not explaining it!). ;)

They are gone on the 09. So is the coin holder that used to be on the lower left dash, under the steering wheel.

That's the one I miss. There isn't really a really good place to store change for parking meters.

I still prefer the 09 overall. That 98 had rock-hard elbow rests. I actually cut up and glued foam from a mouse pad to soften up the arm rests, and they blocked that compartment anyway! :sick:
  • Now that is something the 09 forester could really use. I live in NY and go through quarters for the meters very quickly.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    I forgot all about those storage cubbies in the arm rests (good for business cards and the like). They were eliminated in the 03 re-design but the lower door pockets gained expandable netting so they were much more functional (the coin holder was also retained). For 09 the door pockets got wider and have a place now to hold a bottle but the expandable netting is gone and I don't think the pockets are as long as before.

-Frank
  • robm2robm2 Posts: 53
    I kind of wish the pedals on the 2009 F-XT (premium) were a little more slanted, and a little less vertical. I have long legs, (36" inseam), and I find I have to pull my foot towards my shin a bit too much for comfort, on long drives.

I've messed with the seat in every conceivable way. Only other option is to try and mess with the pedals, themselves, and see if it's possible to change the angle at which they sit.

Anyone else notice this?
    Cassettes? Those are those new-fangled things, right? I'm sticking with my eight-tracks, juice! (Yeah, I'm old enough to have had an 8 track player in my car back in the '70s!)

Len
  • I got my 09 forester towed in Manhattan :( . I wanted to know if its possible to cause any damage to the car if not towed correctly.

I picked it up an hour after it got towed and seems to be driving just the same.

Thanks
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 303
    For reasons I won't explain here :cry: , I had to replace a wheel and tire on my Forester. So, I got an alignment to go with it...just to be on the safe side. I had to go back 2 more times before the dealer got it right. [And by the way, the dealer is the only place you can get an alignment as Subaru hasn't given the specs to the tire stores, etc.] It was vibrating & pulling right when I first got it back (neither of which it did prior, even with the donut on.) They put more air in the new tire and balanced it. That got rid of the vibrating and some of the pull, but not all. So I brought it back again. They hadn't given me the alignment sheet when I got it done the first time, so I made sure to get a copy (of the first alignment on my second visit).

In the midst, I wondered if they had actually done the alignment. [There were no "before" numbers on the first sheet, just "actual".] So, I got a new alignment, and it feels way better now.

Here's the crux. The dealer was blaming me for having to do the 2nd alignment, said I must have done something...gone over RR tracks, potholes, going up in elevation, whatever. NOT! [I have no idea how going up in elevation would cause the alignment to go off. Just makes no sense to me. I think he was grabbing at straws.]

In reviewing the two alignment sheets that I was given by the dealer, I find the that specifications between the two sheets are different. For example:
    Camber: -1.2 to 0.3 on first alignment
    Camber: -0.8 to 0.8 on second alignment

This can't be right, even if they are using a different machine to align it.

So, I study the sheet a bit more...and realize that the first sheet says 06 ->07 Forester. The second sheet says Forester:2009

So, while the dealer is blaming me for causing them to do a second alignment, they actually aligned my car to the wrong specs the first time.

Think I should go back and make them aware of their error??? Or should I just start using the other dealer in my area??? Is this a common mistake???
    pharmd718:

The owners manual has warnings all over it on how specifically to tow an AWD vehicle. If I recall properly, as long as all 4 wheels are on the ground while it is being towed you are OK. The problem arises when they lift up either the front or rear wheels and leave the other end on the ground. Of course if the tow truck is the kind where they put it up on the bed of the truck, that is gravy!

I was told by someone here recently that the reputable tow companies are all well aware of how to tow Subarus as they are all AWD. I would think the tow company would be responsible if they don't get it right.
    Rob, I don't know if they can do it on the '09... But, when I bought my previous Subaru, many years ago, I had a friend who would be driving the car who was also a 36" inseam, by coincidence. I talked to the dealer, and they remounted the whole seat back further. They did a good job, as he could be comfortable with his long legs and I was able to reach the pedals comfortably with my much shorter legs. I wasn't worried about anyone shorter than me driving the car, but it still had room to move even further forward than I would want it.

So, you might talk to your dealer. At the time, they did that for me at no charge. I asked for it when I bought the car. And, as the dealer did it, it was covered under warranty.

Good luck! :)
  • I have been looking for something like this for my forester because in NY they tend to bump into you while parking. Thought others might be interested as well.

http://www.wooddashexperts.com/customer/home.php?cat=19538