Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• sgloon:

thanks for the info. the car was towed by the city and I did not see how they towed it. the car seemed perfectly fine when I drove it so I am guessing that they have towed it correctly.

I read the manual and wanted to know if there is a why I can tell after the fact if they towed it correctly or not.
  • I just went to my dealer's website (Chicago area) to check on service hours and decided to check their Forester inventory--wow! 32 '09's, all types and colors--X's, Limiteds, XT's, even 2 XT Limiteds. Quite a switch from when I bought mine in May. Is it because deliveries are now more regular or is the bloom coming off the rose somewhat (or is nobody buying cars because of the crappy economy)? Probably a little of each.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    I've been seeing a lot of new Foresters on the road lately, so those sales figures we've been seeing from SOA aren't lying.

Bob
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    First off, did they charge you for the 2nd alignment? If so and assuming the time frame between the two wasn't an inordinate amount of time, then I would definitely ask for a rebate. If they give you any trouble, that's when I would point out their error of using the wrong specs.

As for it being a common mistake? I don't know. Obviously one of the big selling points for using a dealer's service dept is that they are supposed to have the best trained technicians and be the least likely to make a mistake. However, anyone can make a mistake; it's how they handle it and their willingness to make the situation right that would determine whether I would use them again or not.

-Frank
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I would just start going to a different dealer, if you have more than one in your area. You could show them their mistake but they'll probably ignore it or come up with excuses.

I had my 93 Miata serviced with a new timing belt, and I could tell the timing was off (it was way down on power). I got on the phone with the tech and he told me the timing was not adjustable. HA HA HA HA what a buffoon. I bought a timing gun for $20 and fixed it myself. I don't want any buffoons under my hood, thanks very much.

Towed vehicle? I think you'd notice right away if they did it incorrectly. You'd have binding. Check the tires, if they're OK, you're fine.

That bull bar looks neat, actually. Wonder if it affects air bag deployment? It's subtle, though, and I like that. I wouldn't want chrome, though, powder coated black would be better.

As for demand, it was up more than 70% last month. So Subaru probably just increased supply to dealers. At some point they will find a balance.
    if there is a way I can tell after the fact if they towed it correctly or not

You could hang out near the impound lot and see what types of wreckers go in and out. Or you could just ask them how they towed your car :)

If your Forester WAS towed with two wheels off the ground and it's still driving fine then probably no damage was done. You might ask someone in your dealer's service dept if there are any telltale signs to look for.

-Frank
    I think tire wear would be the obvious one. Then binding in the AWD system. Drive in a figure 8 slowly and turn off the radio, and open the windows. See if you observe any unusual tire squeel.
  • Subaru dealerships are not in a hurry to delete inventory from their websites as units sell. My hunch is that potential buyers are more likely to contact a particular dealership if their "dream car" is listed in inventory. My 2009 remained on the dealership website for a while after I bought it.
  • tkay2tkay2 Posts: 32
    I may have gotten a break. My comprehensive is $100.00 deductible, and I have a couple of $100.00 subie bucks that will take care of the $100. deductable.The i insurance company a comprehensive claim should not raise my rates (we will see!) As far as the 4700.00 bill I think is a complete rip-off.. know they farm out the Seat Cover job and jack up the bill,If I was to go to a seat cover place I know it would have been a lot cheaper. If this subie was a little older thats what I would have done. FYI. my dog had put her paws on the armrest and now i have a couple of nail marks on it. Dealer quote $ 110.00 went to seat repair specific business quote 45.00
  • I seem to be having trouble removing he gas cap. Has anyone else had this problem? I think pressure builds up in the tank and that makes it hard to remove.
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 303
    They did not charge me for a second alignment. I hadn't driven that far between the 1st and 3rd visits. So, I had been stumped at to why it took 3 visits to get the alignment done properly.

And Juice, you were right...I went in and brought in the specs. They told me they knew they had aligned it to the wrong car. I was told that "Subaru hadn't come out with the alignment specs yet, so they were told (by Subaru) to align it to the 06/07 forester instead." Then, by the time I brought it in the 3rd time, "they had the Subaru specs so they were able to align it to the correct specs."

He told me that if they hadn't done the "first" alignment, my tires would have worn really badly on the outside. This despite the fact that there was no "before" on the first alignment paperwork. When I asked him if he knew how much correction was needed, he said he had no idea. But he was obviously sure that it would wear my tires. My question, how much wear would be caused by aligning it to the wrong specs?

What I am most concerned about is that they didn't tell me that it was aligned to the wrong car. And then after the second alignment told me "very strongly" that they would not align it again...when really it was the first alignment. :lemon:

Would it have been better off to leave the donut on for a couple weeks until Subaru had the specs out? Does subaru and other car companies take this long to get out what appears to me to be basic tech specs? This just doesn't seem right...

I was also told that anytime you have the wheels off the car you have to realign the vehicle on all AWD vehicles. Is this right? That would mean anytime the tires are rotated you need an alignment. Could the dealer have been saying something that I just didn't understand? That just doesn't sound right, especially as now, Subaru has not shared the alignment specs with any of the tires stores, so we hav to pay the mega bucks at the dealer for it.

With me providing the tire, the dealer charged me $505 for the wheel ($347) mounting and alignment. The original quote was $460, and somehow they found an extra $25 bucks to charge under "misc charges", saying the $460 didn't include the taxes of ~$20. When I questioned the extra charges, they just say all the non-charges that they added are something that "dealers are allowed to do", and "all dealers do it" basically just tack on charges not having anything to do with the work. Sounds bogus. Do all dealers operate this way?

Besides, they should have tacked on the charges before they gave me the quote.

Any comments about this situation would be appreciated. Thanks.

I will definitely try out the other dealer next time...
    Would it have been better off to leave the donut on for a couple weeks until Subaru had the specs out?

No, you definitely don't want to drive around on a donut any longer than absolutely necessary.

I was also told that anytime you have the wheels off the car you have to realign the vehicle on all AWD vehicles. Is this right?

Nope. Totally false.

My question, how much wear would be caused by aligning it to the wrong specs?

It depends on how far out of alignment we're talking about and how far the vehicle is driven. It can take several thousand miles before tires start showing evidence of moderate alignment issues.

You stated that it was vibrating and pulling to the right after the first alignement but not before? In which case it's possible that the vehicle wasn't out of alignment until the dealer's service tech tried to align it to the wrong specs :sick: Unfortunately you'll never be able to prove that.

In any case, it sounds like your dealer's service dept is lacking in competence at best and at worst, downright dishonest. Personally I would steer clear of them in the future.

-Frank
  • From Auto Observer regarding September '09 sales:

"Subaru sold 143,789 vehicles in September, a 4-percent increase from September 2007. Strength came from Forester sales, which shot up 28 percent, and the Legacy, which posted its best September ever with an impressive 14-percent increase over last September."

Looks like '09 Forester's a big hit for Subaru. :D
    Up only 28%?

That's terrible. Worst month so far, actually.

LOL.

:D
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    And they'd have sold many more if there were any supply.
    Hey guess what? The Forester is now outselling the Ford Exploder (which saw a 67% decline in September) :surprise: Who'd have thought that would ever happen?

-Frank
  • Your dogs are so adorable. I see that you live in Tampa. Can I ask where you got them. Our Aussie, Mimosa, which we had for almost 9 years, passed on two days ago. I'm thinking of getting a puppy.
  • roj2roj2 Posts: 1
    I just bought a 09 Forester 2.5X/Auto. The Forester is fantastic. It has exceeded all of my expectations. Your advice was very helpful as I made the decision to purchase the Forester. Thanks.

Robert (ROJ1)
  • Given the din of automotive journalistic criticism over the Forester's 4-speed Auto, I really wonder if Subaru will give the 2010 version a 5-speed Autotrans?

There are some reviewers, though (C&D, for one) that feel the current 4-speed is well matched and does the job. The sport shift does make it more responsive to "spirited" driving.

My '09 XT seems to shift well (far less driveline lash than newer Outbacks!) and ratios seem fine for suburban / city driving. With cruise control, it lets the torque converter adjust to handle hills (a lot of cars simply shift back and forth).

Note; For those driving over 75 on interstates, the engine will be turning over 2500 rpm, which does use more fuel and ups noise level. No problem in Oregon (65's our limit) but definitely so in speed-hungry Calif. ;)
    Not only is the 2009 Forester Consumer Reports top small SUV pick, it's featured on the cover of their 100 Top Pruducts issue :D The manual trans Forester also gets the nod for Best Fuel Economy in a small SUV :)

-Frank