Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Forester

1118119120121122124»

Comments

• volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    Never heard of clutch issues with Foresters. What engine is this? Diesel + MT is new enough that problems would just be coming to light, and we don't have the diesel here in the N. American market for comparison.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,392
    Agreed.

While I am not particularly fond of the clutch, there's nothing "wrong" with mine after 45,000 miles, and I suspect I use it much heavier, if you will, than most owners since I do off road with it in the winter as well as pull heavy loads from time to time. Let's just say that I am familiar with its tolerance before it starts to burn. :blush:
  • my forrester is a Diesal 1998cc I had been in cruise control for half hour pulling a caravan at 50 miles per hour. No braking or accelerating on the inside lane of the M40. First noticed reves increased then smell 1 minute later when we drifted to a stop - no warning at all!.
    Ah, yeah; we don't have that drivetrain on this side of the world, so I cannot help there. How heavy was the caravan? Sounds like the added weight and the engine torque combined to disappointing results....
  • The Subaru was bought specifically for this job. The caravan is a two wheeler and was only used four times per year for journeys of less than 200 miles. Weight 1145kg.
    Just for information here is my letter to Subaru M.D. 15/9/2012. I await a response. Thanks for your interest.

Re: [Edmunds.com Forums] New message in 2009 Subaru Forester
    VIEW SLIDE SHOW DOWNLOAD ALL

This album has 7 photos and will be available on SkyDrive until 16/12/2012.

Dear Sir,

I am the owner of a Subaru Forrester MF09 GXJ which I purchased from M Kar SUBARU on the 5th August 2009 for the purpose of towing my caravan. This demo model had a mileage of 3500.

On the 6th September 2010 without any warning on a four lane roundabout the clutch suddenly overheated and burnt out. It was agreed from the evidence that this was a mechanical failure and not due to misuse by the driver. The clutch plate and casing with photographs was returned to Subaru for examination by the franchise agent. - Mileage 10,600.

I was repeatedly reassured that this situation would not reoccur A ECU Configuration was done on 14/6/11. This was after a routine service by the agent earlier on 7/2/11. A further service was done on 16/3/12.

On the 10th September 2012 whilst travelling on cruise control for the preceding 45 minutes on the M40 in Oxfordshire the clutch started to slip and the car came to a standstill. The AA rescue person remarked “oh its another Subaru” When I questioned him about this he said he had three such cases recently but there weren’t many on the road yet. The £500 rescue by the AA retuned us to the nearest possible place to home. Repairs revealed that the clutch and fly wheel had been completely destroyed. Mileage reading 22,800 – 12,000 miles and two years after the first repair.

I telephoned and spoke to Mr Adrian Hogg at your head office customer care centre, and he said that you had not had any cases of failed clutches at all so it was driver error. – It had to be a mechanical fault or faulty driving and there were no mechanical problems experienced. I mentioned my experience in 2010 which Subaru were aware of and the cars reported by the breakdown man but he simply replied that it would have to be proved it was mechanical failure by the agent and even then any recompense would be very unlikely as the car had just passed it’s three year warranty. Even so the repaired clutch had parts which had failed after two years and were still within the warranted three years!

In consideration of the nature of the failures I am convinced that there is a fundamental cause for these failures, and that the final collapse is the result of short periods of excessive wear of which the driver would not be aware. It is also apparent that a clutch failure will reoccur after a further 12,000 miles unless some fundamental cause is discovered and corrected. Without this I will inform all members of the caravan club of my experiences, and seek outside expert advice.

Having spent in excess of two thousand pounds in recoveries, repairs and parts in the duration of 12,000 miles of motoring I would enquire if you have a good will policy? I would also point out with all the available evidence this machine is without any doubt not fit for the purpose for which it was sold, unless it is subjected to a radicle clutch modification.

In conclusion I would very much appreciate your opinion on this situation.

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 6:07 PM
    To: keithashworth@route56.co.uk
    Subject: [Edmunds.com Forums] New message in 2009 Subaru Forester

New message posted in 2009 Subaru Forester
    #3729 Re: merlinhorse1 [merlinhorse] by xwesx Sep 17, 2012 (10:07 am)
    Ah, yeah; we don't have that drivetrain on this side of the world, so I cannot help there. How heavy was the caravan? Sounds like the added weight and the engine torque combined to disappointing results....

View/reply at: Re: merlinhorse1 [merlinhorse]

This email was sent to [merlinhorse / keithashworth@route56.co.uk] based on your election to track and be alerted to new messages in this discussion or Forum. To stop receiving emails, visit your My Watched Items page and deselect the Email Alerts for this discussion or Forum.
    Excellent approach. I am interested to know how it plays out. Perhaps we will be fortunate enough to have the diesel boxer added to the lineup here (sans issues like these, perhaps?).

Best of luck to you.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Weight 1145kg

That's actually above the tow rating for here in the USA, but I believe they're higher in Europe, 1800kg IIRC?
  • My Maximum Total Pay Load MTPL 1350 KG giving a user pay load of 205 Kg
    Subaru acknowledged my letter - said it had been logged, they very much valued customer feedback and appreciated me bringing the matter to their attention, and would be in cotact shortly!
    Good job my Nissen Primera 2litre diesal car with I used to pull the same caravan and others for five years has never had clutch problems, and was there to complete the journey this time!. This should help to eliminate the cause being "Driver Error" I think.
    Yeah, it should be able to manage that load, then. Let's hope they assist. Keep us posted with updates?
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Well after looking on and off at new cars for right about a year, I finally placed an order on a 2013 Forester on the last day possible. Subaru cut off factory orders a week ago in order for them to retool the assembly line for the 2014 redesigned Forester which goes on sale in November in Japan and in early 2014 in the US. Yes you read that correctly, the 2013s which only hit the lots in August, are already on the way out.

Based upon the early leaked info on the 2014s, I think I'm okay with getting the old model. While it never won any styling awards, I've always liked the utility-oriented body style and dislike the current trend towards swoopy and rounded with its associated loss of interior volume and driver visibility.

So anyway, this will be my 3rd Forester and will make it one from each generation. And who knows, maybe I'll get the next generation Forester in a few years when Subaru finally brings the STi version to the US ;)

Frank P.
    You and Bob both!

Now all 3 of us have the current gen in our fleets! :shades:
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    Which one did you get Frank? We got the Premium w/AWP, 4EAT. The color is Sage Green. It's a real nice car. Just had the factory trailer hitch installed.

Almost now wished we had gotten one with the AWP Plus package (adds upgraded radio w/rear camera, fogs), but Deb didn't want to spend the money, and this is her ride.

Bob
    edited September 2012
    Bob - Sweet!

I thought I had my choices of a new car narrowed down to the Audi Q5, Acura MDX or a BMW X3 and since the Acura was $5k less than the other 2, I was just about ready to buy one. But then I took one last look at the Forester.

Juice, you remember back when the X3s came out and there was the constant back and forth over whether it was worth the 50% more than the Forester? Well that all came back to me when I realized that a comparably equipped X3 is still almost exactly 50% more than a Forester. Of course I've come to appreciate the X3 more and realize that you do get a nicer car but I still kept asking myself if it was really THAT much nicer and did I really NEED those extra bells a whistles. The answer was of course, no I don't.

Anyway, since I was in the market for a luxury compact SUV, I decided to at least spoil myself with a loaded XT Touring: Nav, sport grill, puddle lights, interior footwell illumination, trailer hitch, etc.

Frank P.
    I do, it wasn't even a "vs." thread, just a general crossover one that focused on the better performing ones (CX7, RD-X, X3, Forester, Vue Redline).

Back then the X3 had a really harsh ride so I wasn't a huge fan, but they improved the ride over time. Haven't sampled the new one, but price has really crept up, especially with options. They start at $38k but it's closer to $50k equipped.

Yours is loaded up, you lucky duck! Our 09 is a Limited but not a turbo, no Navi. Touring didn't even exist back then.

We should all show up to the next gathering in Foresters, that would be a hoot!

When will it arrive? 6-8 weeks, I guess?
    Congrats, Frank! That sounds like a sweet ride. Are you trading out your current XT? If I recall correctly, your current one is MT?
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    edited September 2012
    Nice Frank. Would love hear feedback on the nav. What dealer did you get it from? Byer Subaru?

Bob
    Bob - Yes Beyer Subaru

Juice - They estimate 6-8 weeks but don't know for sure. I was surprised when they told me it could be that fast. Back in 2000 when I last did a factory order it was 10-12 weeks.

Wes - Yes I have a 2004 XT MT. I guess I'll sell it :( I really wanted to get another performance oriented MT SUV but you ca't find one anymore in the US. I even talked talked to an after-market shop about the possibility of dropping a MT into a new XT or buying a MT Forester Premium and adding a turbo but they didn't recommend either option. I guess cars today are too complicated to swap out components like we use to be able to do.

-Frank P
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    BUT in a few years you could always drop an STi engine and/or drivetrain in and then have the best of both worlds. Have read a couple of threads about that wholesale swap into Imprezas. Should bolt right up to the Forester.
  • Still waiting for a reply from Subaru about my clutch along with two Subaru service managers. They acknowledged my letter (15 /9/12 ) and said they would reply shortly. Having considered a number of SUV's many without spare wheals I find the diesel Forrester very competitive - it just needs a functional clutch. Is your new acquisition Diesel, or is it too cold in your part of the world for such luxuries?

Keith
    I was hoping to put the transmission from a WRX in it but with everything being so computerized now, they said that wasn't a realistic option. Maybe I need to talk to some more after-market mod types...

Frank P
  • Subaru have finally replied after two phone calls. They state there are no mechanical problems with any of the Forester clutches and so it is driver error entirely. I have disposed of the car after doing only 20.000 miles. The fact that the rescue had picked up three Subaru's with burnt out clutches before mine apparently has no bearing on the case! Neither has the fact that my 2 litre Nissan eight year old with which I used for caravanning for five years has never required a clutch. At least it is the first time I have ever had to replace a clutch so it is surprising I had to do it twice.I intend to inform the caravan club of my remarkable experience.
    Merlinhorse.
    Disappointing that it "ended" this way, but if you have the inclination to push it, you should be able to gather some other info that might lead you to being able to make a case out of it. It doesn't surprise me that this is their initial response. Manufacturers never want to lay claim to a shortcoming.

I was shocked this morning when I took my Forester to a dealership for replacement of a wheel stud due to them cross-threading it in April, and they took it in for the repair no questions asked. I walked up, told them I discovered they had cross-threaded it when I went to put my winter tires on the car yesterday, and they said, "here; fill this out and we'll take care of it." :surprise: