Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,282
    Hahahaha! No, it was not your ABS system, it was your tires. Subaru vehicles can deceive you because they will go like hell, even with awful tires, while most everything else is standing still spinning. But, you still have to stop, and the only thing that is there to get the job done are your brakes and your tires, and the buck stops with the tires. ;)
    Yes, but Outback must be doing fairly well, as last I saw there were no incentives on the Outback. This time last year, there was a $1500 incentive. The year before, it was $750.

I think between the upgrades to Impreza, the new Forester, and the upgrades to Outback (VDC across the lineup), Subaru is a very compelling purchase for many people right now. With the instability in the economy, it is all about value, versatility, and longevity.
    Boy, almost makes me want to go buy one just for the engine.

Okay, well, maybe not, but I am antsy to see what the debut of the 2010 Legacy/Outback brings....
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to get a set. My Matrix has enough dings. I don't want to repeat that with the Forester.

Heuberger wanted like $335 for the side moldings installed.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    I hated my 2003 Forester

Better is a 2005 Ford Escape

Better is a 2007 Santa Fe

Better is a 2008 CRV

Best is a 2009 Forester! :P
  • Love my 2009 Forester but:

Something's going on with the 2009 Forester's re-fueling door? I need to slide a credit card into the slight opening that the unlatching lever provides. If I use my fingers, I usually end up re-latching the door. Sometimes it take two people to get it open, one working the lever by the driver's seat and the other working with the credit card on the passenger side. I've held up a lot of other drivers waiting in line to refuel.

It's back at the dealer for the 3rd time. The first time they lubricated it and said it is working as designed. The next time I complained, they said they discovered a previously unknown adjustment. It opened about 4 inches when they demonstrated their success. They showed me how to dress the gas cap tether. The first time I went to get gas I had to use my credit card again. The last time I went to get gas it wouldn't open at all. It took two of us to get it open.

Well like I said before, its back at the dealer. They indicated others are having the same problem and the factory is aware of the situation. I have my doubts but they did give me a loaner while they figure out what to do.

Is there anything in the pipeline to improve this poor design? Has anyone else seen this problem?
  • I had this exact same problem on my 06. There is a small band spring on the hinge side that is supposed to pop the door open. I found that by taking it out and bending it a little bit cured the whole problem. As I remember it is held in place with 1 screw. It took me about 3 minutes to fix, after weeks of frustration and looking foolish at the self-serve.
  • I've not seen the fuel door problem on mine yet, but good to know how to fix it.
    There could also be friction of the spring on the body that might exacerbate the problem.

Another thing to watch out for are creaks from the sunroof. Part of them are caused by the moonroof inner cover rubbing against the metal deflector, and possibly the uppermost edge of the moonroof trim. My latest fix was to use a dry lubricant on both the inner part of deflector, and the upper edge of the moonroof door rubbing against the deflector. Only time will tell if this works for sure.
  • I also bought this kit and installed it. Installation was super easy, and
    they look really nice on my metallic gold colored Forester.
  • Your English is better than some I see here!
  • Thanks, I appreciate! I try to do my best. I am a Subaru fan!
  • The tire pressure monitor really works! My light came on this weekend and after eyeballing all of my tires, they all seem to be OK. However, after checking with a gauge, I found that my front passenger tire was down to 20 lbs, I inflated to 30 psi and the light went off. I just had my oil changed recently and am mad they missed this. I will check more often to insure I don't have a leak.
  • My tire pressure warning light illuminated a couple of weeks ago on the first cold night of the season. As noted in the owner's manual, inflating the tires to spec and driving over 20 MPH reset the light.
  • So far I have 2500 miles on my 2009 X-limited. In 100% city driving I have been averaging 16 mpg....and I have a light foot! :confuse:
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    Are calculating this yourself or using the trip computer?

My XT is averaging 21 mpg in mixed driving. It's got around 800 miles on it now. The other day after a fill up the computer shot up to 30mpg as I coasted around town. It didn't last of course, but it was interesting to see.
  • i have a limited x and am getting 27.9 in city/backroad hilly road driving. average 29/30 hwy driving from aspen to new york on i80
  • they also make light weight wheel chairs so unless you need the heavy duty standard, you might want to ck into it. i've seen them at walgreens. might save your back long term...
  • bikerguy- just wondering if you needed to add any amplifiers to run your system? You said you stayed with the stock head unit and I wasn't sure if it adequately powered the aftermarket speakers?
  • Cost aside, and little personal preference for auto over manual, what are the arguments pro and con for auto over manual (and I'm talking more in terms of performance than convenience), and vice versa?

Haven't fully grasped the functional differences b/w the manual and auto AWD systems. Would the manual AWD system function "better" in snow than the auto?

I'm considering leasing a 2.5 X Premium and wouldn't be opposed to a manual. Don't know how a manual will affect the residual, but it would save $1,000 on the cap cost.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    I think the MT has noticeably better acceleration and gets somewhat better gas mileage. The AWD systems in the MT & AT function differently but both are effective. The extra cost of the AT pretty much cancels out the lower resale cost of the MT. The biggest downsides to getting a MT are if your daily commute consists of lots of stop & go driving or not all family members can drive a manual. If neither of those are an issue, then drive both and go with the one that you like the best.

-Frank