Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    The issue of the rear fog lights in US vehicles has some technical difficulties for the understanding of the average individual. I have checked the issue of the reflectors lamps and the rear fog lights and I can say that both terms refer to the same thing.
    I am able to say with certainty that if the 2009 Forester has front fog lights, then the vehicle has everything needed to activate the rear fog light.

The procedure is as follows:
    1-Approach your Subaru dealership and ask to talk with the Subaru electrician
    2-Request that you want a rear fog light in your car activated.
    3-The technician will most possible respond that he/she needs to order some stuff.

The stuff will probably be:
    Rear fog light fuse
    Rear fog light relay
    Rear fog light bulb (a brake bulb will do OK)
    Rear fog light unit (one or two): if the reflector is just a piece of plastic.

4-If the technician is skillful and the parts have been ordered he/she will do the job in a couple of hours maximum.

What the technician will do while you are waiting?

He/she will uncover the harness at the rear of the car and will identify the power wire in this harness to connect to the rear fog lamp unit connector.

She/he will connect the Vehicle Communication Interface (VCI) to the vehicle (located in the driver seat area). The VCI will be connected as well to a laptop and a software program will be run to tell the OBC (on-board-computer) to recognize the new hardware (i.e. rear fog light).

Once the rear fog light obeys the manipulation of the stalk multi-function switch, at the steering wheel column the job can be considered as finished.
  • Anybody remember if current Forester has seat heater on all trim levels? The 09 only offer it on XT and LLB :mad:

Happy owner of 05 FXT
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,367
    X w/PP, LLB, XT has 'em. X does not... :cry:
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    FYI, I saw a Baja with a cap on it just the other day. After doing a double-take to figure out what I was looking at, I thought it looked pretty good.

-Frank
  • dcdamedcdame Posts: 24
    I think they look good, too. I just can't decide whether the cost is worth it - I doubt that it would up the trade value significantly, but would be worth it to me if I kept the Baja for a few more years. It's my indecision re: keeping the Baja versus getting something new that is driving my indecision over the cap. I'm fickle when it comes to cars -- even when I have one I love, after a year or so I seem to start obsessing about what vehicle I want next. I also have a habit of buying cars that most people think are "offbeat" (just to name a few I've had: Peugeot 505S TD; Honda del Sol VTEC; Hyundai Tiburon; Saab 900S convertible; and, of course, the Baja).

Here's what my Baja would look like with the ARE cap (except I have a turbo, so mine has the hood scoop, but it's the same color as the one pictured):
  • For some Reason , Consumer Union reliability reports for the Forester and Impreza show the AWD systems going sour after around 5 years (much above average plummets to much below average).

This does not seem to be happening with the Outback drive train (much above average to a little above average over 8 years).

Does something wear out in the Forester/Impreza driveline after 5 years? Could it be the clutch packs, or something else?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Batman, as great as that may sound, I'd bet that no dealer in the US would do that.

The rear fog lights also usually are in the same spot in the rear cluster as one of the backup lights. Europe only requires 1 backup light, the US requires 2.

Good luck in your search, you'll spend a lot more than the simple Hella rear fog light for about $50. :)

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    I didn't look, but remember the Foresters doing the auto show circuit are pre-production.

For instance we've seen two different headliners, so it's definitely not finalized yet.

FYI the 09 Foresters are actually in port in the PNW. So whatever the headliner, it's in them already.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Pretty sure that Baja pic was taken at my dealership. :)

And greetings to a fellow Honda del Sol driver. ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I guess we'll find out soon enough, then!

Maybe the X will get the peach fuzz headliner, and the higher end models will get the upscale woven fabric on the other car.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    For some Reason , Consumer Union reliability reports for the Forester and Impreza show the AWD systems going sour after around 5 years (much above average plummets to much below average).

This does not seem to be happening with the Outback drive train (much above average to a little above average over 8 years).

AFIK there are no differences in the components of the AWD. However, there might be differences in wheel bearings source between Indiana cars (Outbacks) and Impreza/Forester made-in-Japan cars. Respondents to CU questionnaires might not distinguish between wheel bearings and AWD failures. Wheel bearing problems have been reported here at various times.
    Kurt: where is that?

I have the 2008 CR buyer's guide in front of me. They don't score the AWD system seperately.

Let me look at the detailed scores, and interpret them from what I've seen and heard from real-world experiences.

Overall, the 01 model is Average and every other year is above average.

The only below average detailed scores are for exhaust (2001), drive system (2001), and Engine, major (also 2001).

Interpreting those, the exhaust is self-explanatory, the drive system is very, very likely due to the wheel bearing failures, which were common up until 2003 when they redesigned them.

Note that CR's scores are better than average for drive system from 2003 and on, and that jibes with my theory.

We all know the engine was the head gasket failues. 2002 and on they are better than average. That is exactly the year where they switched to a new head gasket material, in fact our 2002 Subaru is not covered by the extended 100k mile warranty for head gaskets for that reason.

Again, CR's scores jibe with the common knowledge here on Edmunds - head gaskets were a problem until around 2002.

Even the exhaust is OK from 2003 and on.

There has not been a single trouble spot, below average that is, after 2001. That year was the first face-lift, so who knows, maybe there was some hidden cost cutting.

I have faith that the 2009 Forester will be reliable. The powertrain is an evolution of what is reliable today, so I don't see a reason for any significant change.

Subaru forked out a bunch of money for wheel bearings and head gaskets, so you know they'll keep an eye out for those issues, too.
  • Car and Driver reported wheel bearing failure in their Legacy testing, and if Subarus Foresters are already known for wheel bearing failure, that falls right into line.

So why are the bearings failing?
    What can be done to keep them healthy?
    Do they need regular lubrication?
    Nope, they're sealed nowadays.

Car & Driver abused their car pretty badly, I think they had some other issues, too. Plus it was a pre-production 2005 model IIRC.
    If you can find a mechanic willing to do it (BIG IF), sounds like it'll cost several hundred dollars. That's a lot for one little light.

-Frank

Poor design or bad production run

What can be done to keep them healthy?

Nothing. As Juice said, they're sealed.

Do they need regular lubrication?

Nope (see above)

The good news is we seldom hear about them failing anymore so I'm guessing that most of the bearings that were going to go bad already have :)

-Frank
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    Car and Driver reported wheel bearing failure in their Legacy testing, and if Subarus Foresters are already known for wheel bearing failure, that falls right into line.

If it was front bearings (I can't recall), there might have been a reason for lowering the drive end of the engine a little bit as was done on the new Impreza. The off-angle forces would have been reduced somewhat. Such small changes can greatly reduce bearing load resulting in longer life.
    The new ones are simple bolt-in setups so replacing them isn't an issue.

The fix is what they did in the STi and Tribeca, using SVX based bearings which are bigger, heavier duty units. That's why the STi and Tribeca use the SVX wheel lug pattern. 5x114 as opposed to 5x100 used in the others.

I had a wheel bearing failure in my 94 Legacy turbo, after 150k miles and 15k track and race miles...

None of my other Subarus ever had a bearing failure with about 500k miles driven en total.

-mike
  • dcdamedcdame Posts: 24
    "Pretty sure that Baja pic was taken at my dealership."

I wouldn't be surprised - I've got tons of Baja pictures on my hard drive that I've accumulated over the years and don't recall the source (other than various places on the web).

My del Sol was a blast - with the VTEC engine, it was like a turbo-charged roller skate. It was the perfect car for when I lived in downtown DC and didn't have my own parking space - it fit in lots of spaces where other cars couldn't. Plus I loved the removable hardtop roof (a ragtop parked on city streets isn't a great choice). On an impulse, I gave it to my niece for her 16th birthday (in 1998) and immediately regretted the decision (but wouldn't think of asking for it back).
    Hope she appreciated what a NICE gift that was! :)