Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• jopopsyjopopsy Posts: 65
    Blech. Sounds like I'm calling the dealer this morning. First model year car, first run problems.
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 303
    OK reporting back.

The dealer says the smells (greasy through to cooking to verging on burning) are the cosmoline - the rustproofing that they put inside any metal parts. One of the people at the dealership said the smells could last 30K miles. EH!!! :sick: To minimize, don't recirc the air in the cabin. Otherwise, you are stuck with it. :sick:

The fog is the dash off-gassing (from the type of plastic that they used) and they say mine should be just about done doing that...And they cleaned all the windows for me. Including the moonroof!!! Yeah!

They also "said" everything was non-toxic...but you'll never get me to believe that. :P
  • After the stupid overhead map light creaking started again, it now appears the noise is due to a wire used for the automatic dimming mirror. This 3-core flat ribbon runs form the mirror up inside a small removeable rectangular guide and then under the headliner.
    Moving this wire around would either set up a series of creaks when the vehicle went over dips or sometimes bumps, or silence the creaks.
    The creaks will vanish if the map light assembly is removed (removal takes pressure off the front of the headliner).

My guess is the headliner flexes enough to rub against that wire, depending on where the wire is positioned.
    Also, anyone without this automirror won't have the wire, and my guess is won't have the creaks.
  • 4-6 inches of snow in my area and 6-8 inches a bit further north. Can't wait to see how well the 4wd handles :shades:
  • I'm in NJ, so I'm right there with ya! Should be fun :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Subaru put the nice stuff on the seating surfaces (perforated leather) and the arm rests, plus the steering wheel and shifter. Those are the places you tend to touch.

The one oversight was the sun shade - cheap. The rest of the stuff you never touch (headliner, dash, etc).

Bob mentioned the Venza's dash was softer, but its prices are a good $5 grand higher. I think the Forester is nicer than the similarly priced RAV4 inside, easily.

So against direct competitors, it's par, or even slightly better than par, IMHO.

I looked at a Mariner hybrid, Ford Escape clone, and the plastics were worse and even the leather was shiny. Then I looked a a VW Tiguan, and it really wasn't any better than the Forester (I sort of expected more from VW).

Sure, there's a part here or there from a competitor that is higher quality, but as a package I think the Forester is at least better than average for this price class.

Plus, if you want a plush head liner, softer materials, etc, step up to a Tribeca. They start at $26k, right around the same price as that Venza Bob mentioned.

I don't see anything wrong with that. The average new car costs $28 grand, you can get a Limited for far less, even most XTs are less than that. We can't expect premium materials at a less-than-average price, especially when you get AWD as part of the bargain.
  • hitoyouhitoyou Posts: 14
    I took my 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5 Limited edition for its first oil change today. I asked about the TSB material for protection of the rear door area. He said it didn't apply to my vehicle. It was for the 2008 editions. Is he right?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    No, I'm pretty sure he is wrong. There are several '09 owners, kurtamaxxguy most notably, who have made several posts concerning this and the rear protection was added later in the model run, so early run vehicles were without the added protection. I think Kurt's vehicle was at the dealer very recently to receive the added treatment specified by the TSB.
  • Yes, my servicing dealer verified the TSB and ordered the parts; they have so far proved far better wrt service than the average dealer.

If the vehicle in question only has a roughly 2 x 3" patch of scotchguard back on the fenders, the TSB should apply as the new scotchguard patch is at least 3 times bigger.
    jopopsy,

I just filled up again and the fuel gauge looks to be working fine again...so I think it may have been just a one time fluke... (hopefully!)
  • Your dealer is wrong. The TSB applies to early 09 Foresters. I believe the TSB has VIN numbers for covered vehicles. (My wife's wasn't covered). You can also take a look at the new Foresters on the dealer's lot to see where the protection material is on the newer cars. Based on my wife's experience, the additional material still doesn't cover a large enough area to keep the paint from chipping.
  • We were two hours into a 10 hour drive over the holidays when the Check Engine light went on as well as a flashing Cruise light and the VDC light. :confuse: I just had the oil changed and the car has 8000 miles. I quickly ran through the guidebook while my husband got us to a nearby town where I thought there might be a Subaru dealer.

Of course, no Subaru dealer nearby, but I did phone several service departments near home. Two out of three service guys weren't too worried. But thanks to researching on Edmunds -- thanks also to the wifi in a Hilton Garden Inn -- I found that the Check Engine light could be evaluated at an AutoZone for free. There was one nearby fortunately.

The AutoZone guy put his computer onto the dash connection and within a minute chuckled and told us that the only problem was that the gas cap was not on tight enough! He said this was common in new cars. That was also one of the possibilities in the guidebook. He thought the light would go off after 30 miles, after we tightened the gas cap. It actually took about 3 1/2 hours of highway driving for the light to go off and the emissions to be reset. But we couldn't use the Cruise control for all that time.

My brother later also told me this was common problem in new cars. Thanks goodness this wasn't a big problem as so far the Forester 09 has seemed really reliable.

You can get the CheckEngine light checked for free at any AutoZone. You can also buy the computerized tool used at Autzone for around $100 to $150.

Anyone else experience this? I enjoy reading all your comments and have learned a lot here, so wanted to share my experience. :)
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    It comes up a lot. I'm sure it is in the owner's manual, but it's the finding of it that is so hard. I think new cars should have that as the first page : ATTENTION IF CEL COMES ON, CHECK YOUR GAS CAP!! Wheres right now, I think if you look under "refueling" (which everyone reads carefully because no-one knows how to put gas in a car ;-) and is the first place you look when you think your engine is about to explode ) the refueling sction will has a warning to tighten the cap properly or you might get a CEL.
    Thanks for the info re: Autozone! That could come in handy in the future.
    My 09 is also being covered. I have an appointment later this month to have it repainted and the protection film applied.

The first dealer I went to won't look at it...and I asked them about it and had the TSB. They said it was referring to another part of the car (which of course has no problems)
    With the second dealer it was a non-issue, they are taking care of it. Period. I have made them my primary dealer for service now, even though they are further away.

Good point about the new piece being too small as now it is mentioned here, my "chips" cover a larger area then the new film. I'll see what I can have them do about that....
  • Barely any snow came down in Brooklyn. Lots of slush and the streets are covered with a thin layer of ice. This is really disappointing as I was looking forward to driving the subi through the snow. To make matters worst, my wife decided to do some shopping today and insisted on taking the subi over her new mini cooper S. So I am stuck with the mini for the day.
  • jopopsyjopopsy Posts: 65
    Same thing with me !!! THe only differance was I let the tank run a little lower then I normally do. Before I was filling up around 1/2 a tank. This time I filled up at 1/3 to 1/4 left. Weird?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Glad to hear that's all it was.

I bought an OBDII scanner. You'd be surprised how often it comes in handy. I've probably used it on 5 different cars or so? Usually just a loose gas cap.

Subaru uses a fuel vapor recovery system with a charcoal canister and all, which is why you also do *not* want to top off the fuel tank when filling up.
  • ateixeira mentioned NOT to top off tank due to fuel vaporrecovery system & charcoal cannister.Can you please explain why not & what the consequences would be,TY
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Posts: 426
    My experience is that topping off to round out the pennies is ok, but those that are used to squeezing every drop into the tank run the risk of sending fuel through the vent system and into the charcoal canister. This will ruin it since it is designed to handle vapors and not a liquid. This happened to a friend of mine, not on a Subaru, and it cost him more than $100 to replace it. The dealer would not cover it under warranty, saying it happened due to his actions.