Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• 26cars26cars Posts: 19
    Thanks for the utube link, watched a bunch of the others there as well. Gives me a new appreciation of the capabilities of this little truck! Although I'll probably pass on the rock crawling and jumping. :sick:
  • billwvbillwv Posts: 48
    "Now VDC manages both axles, even on the base model. That's an important improvement."

Yes -- I think the VDC, VTC, AWD and 4AT are all electronically integrated to produce a very effective system.

I've been very impressed with handling in snow.

Bill
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    We haven't had enough snow to really challenge our Forester.

They say this year we'll have more snow here in the DC area, if so we'll see.

My Miata has summer tires so it's absolutely out of the question in bad weather. Our van in FWD and the stability control is too intrusive, though it's better when you turn it "off".

Still, the Forester will do all the snow duty, no question.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    OK, so I'm undecided, and I'm asking for your help. Driven stick all my life, but last two vehicles have been automatics because the Highlander doesn't come in stick. Honda dropped the manual trans option from the CR-V and Toyota did the same on the RAV-4. Which leaves me shopping for a Subaru Forester.

I've driven 2010 Forester XT Premium in both Auto and Manual. The manual was nice, and the Auto was very good for an auto. In Manual-mode, it even seems to rev-match on a downshift going into a corner. But these were both 3 mile test drives at best.

So what do y'all think? Also, anyone have the quick-shifter installed? A review of the before/after experience would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Posts: 775
    I don't think Forester XT comes with a manual. Do you mean Forester X premium?
  • Since 2009, the Forester XT is 4 spd AT only. It offers a sport shift mode improves responsiveness at expense of mileage.

It's a decent 4 spd auto and works well with its cruise control, but over 75 the engine's spinning close to 3000 rpm.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    With the torque available from the turbo engine, the top-gear ratio seems unnecessarily short, especially for an automatic, where a kick-down is just a toe nudge away. I would think that 2500 or even 2200 RPM would be plenty at 75 MPH. :sick:

I'm still bummed that the XT is no longer available in the USA with a stick. :(
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Posts: 775
    The Forester is LONG overdue for either a 5 speed auto or a CVT. 2011 or 2012 models will probably finally get one of these transmissions.
  • Unfortunately, the current 5 spd AT used in H6 models is not made by Subaru and is in limited supply, hence its limited usage by Subaru.

Subaru has stated they plan to move the CVT into more vehicles, with the Forester being a likely choice for 2012 model year.

Whether the CVT will become robust enough to replace the 4spd AT in the XT models, or H6 Legacy/Outback models, remains to be seen.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    Yup, sure did mean X Premium. That's what I get for putting up a post after midnight.

So, with the non-turbo model, same question - Manual or Auto?
    Its all a matter of personal choice...

I have the 4AT and am happy with it. I use the manual mode going down hills for engine braking, which works well -- I live in WV.

But, the manual mode is no substitute for a stick shift if that is your thinking.

Bill
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    When you stated "quick-shifter," did you mean the short-throw shifter?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Manual.

Spend $800 or so less to begin with.

CR got 25 mpg vs. 22 mpg for the automatic, despite what EPA lab tests say the MT5 wins in the real world.

And...it's quicker.

A new clutch is a few hundred, a new automatic is a few thousand.

Having said all that my wife got an automatic - she really wanted the Limited and that's the only way it comes.
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Posts: 464
    If I were buying one, I'd absolutely get the manual transmission -- and that's not to say that the automatic is "bad", it's just that there's truly no substitute for having a true manual transmission.

All of my cars have had manual transmissions, but for my most recent purchase (an 05 Honda Element) I decided to go with an auto-trans because an AWD Element with a manual transmission is nearly impossible to come by around here (pre-owned, anyways). Every time I get in my Element, I regret not holding out until I found a manual transmission model...and I LOVE everything else about the car, but have grown to hate the 4sp auto transmission. It drives me crazy in the mountains, although around town it's not too bad.

Both of my Subarus that I owned previously had manuals and were fun to drive -- and the benefit (I believe) of having the 50:50 default split of the AWD was preferable to me over the 90:10 split of the auto Subarus. And, as already mentioned, most evidence suggests much better fuel economy with the manual transmission.

Advice? Buy the manual Forester... :)
  • Just got this email from Subaru:

During a quality review, we discovered that under certain severe driving patterns, such as high speed highway/uphill driving and/or accelerating with high engine revolutions, the efficiency of your vehicle’s catalytic converter may begin to degrade beyond design parameters. (The “Check Engine” light will illuminate to alert you if the catalytic converter efficiency has degraded beyond an acceptable level and if your vehicle may be releasing air pollutants that exceed Federal or California emission standards.) To prevent this condition, Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic that will improve management of the catalytic converter. This software change will not adversely affect the performance of your vehicle.

WHAT WE ARE ASKING YOU TO DO PROMPTLY
    We suggest that you schedule an appointment with your Subaru dealer as soon as possible to have your vehicle’s Engine Control Module software reprogrammed. The approximate time to perform this update is 40 minutes. However, it may be necessary for you to leave your car for a longer period on the day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling other appointments. Your Subaru dealer will perform this repair at no cost to you.
    I got the same email--

Doesn't sound urgent...

Any ideas on what the reprogramming will consist of?

I think I'll wait until I know more about it. Hopefully including input from this forum.

Bill
  • have not had any email yet wrt the cat converter. Mine's '09 XT.
    Only applies to PZEV, viz"

"Service Program WVM-23 (2006 - 2009 Legacy / Outback or 2008 - 2010 Forester 2.5L with PZEV) "

bill
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    I have not yet received the message, but I will keep a lookout for it. I have to take the car in to address a couple door rattles anyway, so we can make a day of it. ;)
  • birdboybirdboy Posts: 158
    I have had the rattle in the cargo taken care of, both door rattles as well. My next trip will be to replace the sunroof headliner track as the liner rattles. I also have a ticking in the wind deflector and some other rattle I can not identify overhead. I am extremely disappointed with the quality of these materials. Most of all, the armrest is loose and all the parts creak, squeak and rattle especially when I put my arm on it.. I have foam stuffed all over and it just does not work. I am going to request a new storage console on my next visit. The service department at Colonial has been very cooperative and is trying, however they did not build the car. Any suggestions or other rattles to look out for? In addition, I just got a recall E mail .
    Thank You