Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    So we have the Forester out for the W/E until Monday morning. Our dealer knows we are a near sale and has always been accomodating with established customers. I'll post my extended drive review soon. Dra does find it looks big and likes the fact that the OB is lower in roof height. I don't get that, it's not like we use a roof rack or have lots or really low bridges around here. ;-) There is certainly much more space in the second row of the Forester. But to be fair the OB still gets a mondo sunroof which is tinted and has a tilt option.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    the clear patches are on my '09 forester, right on lowermost point of rear fenders. I suspect it is there to protect against chipping.
  • phdhuskyphdhusky Member Posts: 112
    Does anyone know what the best product is to apply to the dash and plastic to protect it? Also how do you go about scotch gaurding the seats?
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Last time I "scotch guarded" a seat, you could buy a spray can of scotch guard at K-mart or the automotive store, etc. and just spray them. The dealer will offer to scotch guard them for you, for a price, about $600 I was quoted...not worth it imo.

As far as the dash, I use "303 Protectant" on my canoes, which I bet would work good on the dash. It has UV protection. It will make your dash slick, so things would slide around on top...but also will make it so the dirt/dust can't stick around. :D
    PS Scotchguard is a GM product and trademarked. There are other variations out there.
    Anyone else notice that the MSRP for the 2009 Forester took a dive over the weekend? :surprise: I was watching the Manual Transmission Premium package (no add ons). It went from 23,160 MSRP to 22,495 MSRP over the weekend. That is down $665! Yeah!!!

Invoice is down to 21,171.

How low will it go...

I don't think they changed the offerings within the packages, but we may want to check.

...whoever said he who hesitates... :D
    PS This is per the Edmonds and Subaru website prices.
    Sorry all. I think I need to go to bed. The number that popped up didn't include the destination charge. :blush: ...I'll have to check further when I have more sleep! Ah, well it was a nice thought!
  • tkaytkay Member Posts: 99
    No what you mean. Have to read the fine print. Around here a few a the gas stations are posting gas prices $3.59 (small print CASH ONLY
  • skeletonskeleton Member Posts: 37
    I'm a big fan of the new 2009 Forester. However, after doing some research, I see that a used 2004 Lexus RX330 is about the same price as a new Forester.

Without getting into the buying new vs. buy used age-old discussion, I was wondering from a pure product comparison basis, how would you compare these two. The way I look at it, with Lexus renowed reliability, it's reasonable to compare these two directly.

Looks like the RX330 is a bit larger, better refinement, better towing capacity. The Forester has better fuel economy and perhaps a better AWD system.

With about $25K to spend, just wondering whether to opt for the Forester or Lexus.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Here's my suggestion to your dilemna. Price independent, which vehicle would you choose new? Lexus RX350 or Subaru Forester 2009. Both have their pros and cons, and I personally would not automatically opt for the Lexus, even though it is upscale. If you can honestly say, you would opt for the Lexus, then go for the used RX330. Else, go for the Forester. They are not the same type of car, and you need to think ahead one or two years and how you will feel driving a two year old Forester vs a six year old RX330.

IMO, the engine, drivetrain, or AWD shouldn't factor into the equation unless ski resorts are your favorite winter destinations.
  • pgb0517pgb0517 Member Posts: 84
    Thanks to all for the feedback on the little patches. It's good to know I am not alone. I guess the bottom line is, don't mess with 'em. I hope they will not chip, peel, or discolor over time. Anybody with older cars -- do these patches still look OK?
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Those clear films are a direct result of a problem Subaru was having with chipping paint, due to their new, more environmentally friendly, water-based paint. Enough Impreza owners were having problems that it prompted Subaru to come up with this fix.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    How big are they? Can someone snap a photo of that protective film? I'd be happy to host it.

Also, can someone check where the spare tire is to see if there is trailer pre-wiring there? Take a pic if possible.

Finally, 3rd and final, promise, can someone take a picture of the guage cluster with the FWD light turned on, please? It might light up when you first turn the ignition on (or you might have to insert the FWD fuse).
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2009photos2.html

shows the lights of the Forester instrument cluster and where the AWD light is.
    I was looking for the FWD light.

You can insert a fuse to disengage the rear axle when you get a flat tire there, or when you are towing the vehicle behind a motorhome on a dolly.

Basically someone refuses to believe the Forester is capable of going to FWD mode, but it is - if you insert the FWD fuse. I believe there is a light on the panel that lights up when the fuse is inserted.

I wonder if it comes on in the test cycle, or if it only comes on when you insert the fuse? :confuse:
    I rethought this post today and really believe this is a larger question.

Really the value these "SUV/CUV" vehicles provide is fundamentally good cargo capacity, higher ride with the ability to handle some more difficult road conditions whilst providing all this on a comfortable platform. This is by definition a SUV (or more recently, a "CUV").

If we look at the gamut of SUV/CUV's in the $25K price range, new or used, there is quite the selection.

With any comparison, value is always a key factor and for those of us pragmatists, really the main criteria. From a value perspective, when you factor in purchase price, maintenance costs, fuel costs, insurance costs and resale value against what utilitarian features and capabilities the vehicle has (overall "utility"), we should be able to evaluate what are good purchases and what aren't. These can be somewhat meaningful as I would expect "utililty" can be non subjective. Subjective concerns like luxury features, styling, overall acceleration, or anything that doesn't improve on the vehicle's utilitarian capabilities is not to be factored (otherwise this discussion would resort to a subjective discussion very quickly). One caveat, however, is safety. Some SUV's are notoriously unsafe. Vehicles with apparent safety concerns should be highlighted and others with safety excellence, like the 2009 Forester, should be recognized.

So from a "new" vehicle perspective, I see the 2009 Forester ranking very high (if not the highest) in the $25K price range. However, if we factor in used vehicles, I see that older vehicles like the RX330 are an excellent value with plenty of cargo room, good resale, maintenance costs but with slightly higher fuel and insurance costs.

Another comparison could be a used 2005 BMW X3. I would expect it to be higher in maintenance, fuel, insurance and maintenance and not provide much more utility than a 2009 Forester. As such it would rank much lower in overall value.

Looking for other impressions on older, upscale vehicles like Toyota Highlander, Acura MDX, Infiniti FX, Mercedes ML350 or even the domestics that have great utility but suffer from higher maintenance, higher fuel costs and lower resale.

What's the best "bang for the buck" so to speak?
    If I remember the '09 Manual right, the AWD light comes on when the fuse is inserted. The fuse insertion procedure is outlined in the '09 Manual.

AWD light is basically saying something is wrong with the AWD, or that it has been switched off by the fuse insertion.

AWD does light up during startup and instrument sweep check.
    You are absolutely correct. The AWD light means the AWD system is disengaged and in FWD mode. I looked in my owners manual, to put the car in FWD mode there is a special socket in the engine compartment. (This is for ATs only)
    The best bang for the buck are low mileage vehicles about 1 year old. The hit has already been taken on the depreciation.

If the question is however: "I want to spend $25K and show me all the ways I can spend $25K". You can have a field day, lots of new and used choices. I personally don't like picking up peoples used vehicles and always buy new. In addition, I wouldn't buy a used vehicle where I wouldn't buy the same vehicle new.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    wow, I stand corrected by myself!

-mike
    I saw someone else on a diff forum use 303 protectant, where can I get this and is it safe to use on the dash?
    Where to Buy: http://www.wheretobuy303.com/

I can't recommend per se, especially as I don't know what material the dash is made out of... However, from the back of the bottle it lists interior and exterior of vehicles: vinyl & leather interiors, plastic bumpers, fender flares, trim and lenses, car bras, tonneau covers, vinyl soft tops & plastic windows, chrome & alloy wheels.

There is more listed on the bottle, including many non automotive uses.

all you have to do is spray on and wipe dry. I do it once or max twice a year on my boat, and that is plenty. The UV protection is great. And it repels dust, soiling and staining. I have used it on a bunch of other stuff and it works great.
    I just paid $3.45/gal credit card and I thought it had gone up a lot! I guess not the max.
    Does this mean that we can put the fuse in when we don't need or want the AWD? Would this give us better gas mileage when we don't need the AWD?
    sounds like a good idea, if it would not damage anything.
    Does anyone know if it is OK to run with the fuse in (FWD) most of the time? Or until we need the AWD?
    Is there anything that we could damage by doing this??? :confuse:
    Phdhusky, I scanned the 303 website and they make their own version of scotch guard as well, 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. I have used their shower guard, and that works well. The 303 fabric guard has UV protection as well. Cheaper than having the dealer do something for you... The only thing I'm thinking of for someone else to install along the protection line is the "hood bra". But it is $200+. Still debating.
    Dra's six year old Bug has these patches. Only downside is the tendency to accumulate dirt at the margins which requires targeted effort to remove. Otherwise, they are as new.
    Is the paint chipping problem why they offer the rear under bumper guard? Do owners recommend it? Would a bra work there, or not needed??? :confuse:
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    As far as I know, the underguard isn't related to the chipping issue, but is mostly a cosmetic add-on to make it look more "rugged", though it could protect the lower bumper from scratches from driving over branches or things like that. (I actually like the way it looks.)
    Actually, in shopping around my area, I have found the new vehicles are priced competetively with the low mileage 1 or 2 year old vehicles. I was surprised to see that.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Juice, those reporting that it uses the AWD light are exactly right. There is no FWD light. From my 06 manual:

NOTE
    (All AWD AT non-turbo models without
    Vehicle Dynamics Control system) Before
    driving your vehicle with the temporary
    spare tire, put a spare fuse inside
    the FWD connector in the main
    fuse box located in the engine compartment
    and confirm that the Frontwheel
    drive warning light “AWD” in the
    combination meter comes on. The all
    wheel drive capability of the vehicle
    has now deactivated. After re-installing
    the conventional tire, remove the spare
    fuse from the FWD connector in order
    to reactivate all wheel drive.

The manual also says the "FWD fuse socket" is not there on VDC equipped vehicles, which makes me wonder if something is different for 09 now that VDC is standard.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    I use 303 on my UnderCover hard tonneau cover on my Tundra, got it at a True Value hardware store. For my dash in both the Tundra and Soobs I use an Armor All product that is not like the original. It doesn't make everything so shiny that you get reflections in the windshield. I believe it is sold as a cleaner that protects. It is a white bottle with a blue and black label. It works great and leaves things more natural looking while protecting.
    Cool I'll check it out. Dealer wanted like 600 to Simoniz my car today and I've read it's just a fancy wax job so I passed on it. Just want to protect my new baby, probably beeing a little OCD.
  • cshoppercshopper Member Posts: 7
    sgloon said: "Anyone else notice that the MSRP for the 2009 Forester took a dive over the weekend? I was watching the Manual Transmission Premium package (no add ons). It went from 23,160 MSRP to 22,495 MSRP over the weekend. That is down $665! Yeah!!!

Invoice is down to 21,171."

This may just be a coincidence but the Destination Charge is $665, so its possible what you were looking at before was with the destination charge and what you're looking at now is without the destination charge.
    I think they mean VTD, but Subaru uses the term VDC to descrive that AWD system as well.

Found a pic of the warning light on the 08 Impreza:

Took this pic as well...
    I guess there are pros and cons to both, for instance I got lucky with my 93 Miata and it's been fine. But you might also end up with a problematic model someone else got rid of for that reason specifically.

Certified, models still under warranty, and reliable brands help offset those concerns.

Tough call.

As for the RX, I wouldn't get that simply because they just don't handle all that well. I've driven several and really don't like them at all, actually, but that's just me. I'd choose my minivan over an RX350, seriously.
    I've started lurking on the Crossover CUV Comparison discussion to see what people are saying. This discussion of New vs. Used, RX vs. Forester is really way to subjective as it all depends on numerous factors beyond the features and capabilities of the product.

Despite not having considered every permutation, I went ahead and purchased a 2009 Forester. Spark Silver, 5MT, Premium package with PZEV (New York). We love the feeling of airy openness with the great visibility and large moonroof. It's also hoot to drive. Still breaking it in so haven't pushed it yet.

Things I like:
    - Visibility and feeling of openness
    - Overall driving feel
    - Little body roll around corners
    - Smooth ride without feeling mushy
    - Great turning radius
    - Safety
    - Fuel Economy (hit 31.5 MPG on my way to the cottage)
    - Hill Assist - surprised how much I like this
    - Ground clearance
    - Lots of little things: nice, easy to clean "tray" where the front wipers are - made it easy to clean some debris that fell onto car; easy to clean wheels; spring loaded fold down rear seats - just lift the button and they come down; reclining rear seats with lots of room - you don't feel like a second class citizen when you're in the back seat.

Thinks I don't like:
    - dinky horn
    - vanity mirrors don't have lights
    - no bluetooth
    - stereo is only acceptable

The Forester lets you see, feel and hear the driving experience in very positive ways. Many SUVs want to reduce this as much as possible: "Life is something to be insulated from so that you don't have to experience it." I guess if you live in a rough neighbourhood with undesirable sights, I would want this too. Fortunately, I live in a beautiful neighbourhood and I own a cottage in the wilderness. The Forester is perfect for this lifestyle.

I'm sure I'll appreciate it even more during the first major snowstorm or, heaven forbid, I rely on the VDC to prevent a major accident. ...btw, shouldn't "accident avoidance ability" be factored into overall safety measurements somehow?
    Congrats, that's sweet! PZEV too, same here. :shades:

hit 31.5 MPG on my way to the cottage

wOOt!
    IIHS does require electronic stability control to get the "top safety pick" designation now.
  • pdx81pdx81 Member Posts: 1
    I just paid $23,977 for my automatic Forester with the Premium package plus All-Weather. That was $100 over invoice. Did I get taken?
    If you got what you wanted, it sounds like you did fine. This is a brand new, well reviewed car and I can't imagine anyone doing fire sales on it.

I was well under MSRP but no way near Invoice. Then again, I asked for and got a Peral White Turbo XT Limited, of which there was a grand total of _1_ within a 150 mile radius, and which my dealer had to trade for to get.
    depending on where you bought it, i would say you could have done way better.

My best quote for AT Premium with floor mats, splash gaurds, rear bumper cover was 22, 300. Which was about 24,400 OTD.

I got AT Premium with wheel arch moldings, splash gaurds, sport grill, spoiler, wheel locks, read bumper cover for 23,200. I live in CT.
    Of course there are other factors that will help you avoid an accident such as braking distance. I would imagine, also, that all electronic stability control systems are not created equal just as AWD systems are not equal. All of these can potentially play a role in improving overall safety.

On a side note, people look at Smart Cars and say they are too small to be safe. I jokingly say they are very safe because they are too small to get in an accident. "I've tried to hit one of those suckers and I keep missing..they're too small a target."
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Hey skeleton, you bought the same exact model I'm very interested in, a MT 2.5x premium, congrats, hopefully you can give me some insight before I get the itch to go buy one without fully researching it. One of the things I don't like is high rpm's at hwy speeds, I had a civic and it was really annoying. Could you tell me what your rpm's are at 65-75 mph. Also, I know that the gas tank is 16.9 gallons, but how much is actually "useable?" By that I mean, when you get to E, how many gallons do you get when you fill it back up? I know in my Xterra I have a 21 gallon tank, but when I fill it up when I get to E I only get 16.5 gallons, which means almost 5 gallons in that tank is truly unusable greatly reducing my range, which has really upset me since that was a HUGE reason I bought it, so I wouldn't have to stop and fill up on my frequent 400 mile trips. Thanks for your help.
  • pgb0517pgb0517 Member Posts: 84
    "Did I get taken?" -- I don't think so. Some folks are getting under invoice and some aren't. If you are in a market that is not thick with Subaru dealers; if you were picky about exactly what you wanted and it was in short supply; if you didn't get taken on your trade-in; if you got good financing; if you like the dealership and more or less enjoyed the experience -- be glad you got a good deal. As explained in recent posts either here or in the buying experiences forum, many things affect how low a dealer is willing to go even from one day to the next. I paid $200 over invoice and consider that, given my market and other factors, I am very satisfied with the deal. Don't let buyer's remorse eat you up. Life is not about bragging rights over car deals.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Gotta give up my 03 Forester XS sometime in next year or two & I really like the 09 Forester. I see the Forester being compared to the RDX, CVX, RAV 4 Outlander, but not the Outback. For fun I compared the features important to me such as cargo space, opening to cargo area, turning circle, weight, EPA rating, & price on Cars101.com.

:surprise: BIG SURPRISE :surprise: There was very very little difference in any of the specs I compared - 90% identical! I thought the hatch opening & cargo space in the Forester would be a significantly bigger - not so, must be an optical illusion.

The other surprise was the price. The OB with VDC, & Power driver's seat, no leather, no sunroof was about $550 more than the Forester LLBean (main options I want is VDC & power driver's seat) - according to Edmund's comparo feature. I think this includes a current $1000 rebate on OB

So, if the leather & sunroof are unnecessary extras from a buyer's perspective, why not get the OB which I suspect is a bit more comfy. Confession - I have not driven either yet. Any of you Sub-experts who have driven both want to pipe up on this question?
    Meca, The outback is a fair bit longer. Without the book here, I'd guess about 10 inches or so... It is also shorter (easier to put stuff on top). The wheel base is longer, so the turning radius has to be greater.

It "feels" longer and the turning radius "feels" bigger when driving.
    Seat feel cushier in the Outback, IMO.

these opinions are only based on test driving, and being a passenger in cars owned by someone else. I haven't bought my forester yet..still mulling. Want to be sure it is the car for me! Getting closer & closer...with a good deal in the offing...
    PDX, Congrats on your new forester! No sense second guessing. As long as you are happy with the vehicle you bought and were willing to pay that amount...obviously you thought it was worth it.

Be happy and enjoy your new forester...

And thanks for letting us know what you paid. It helps as the rest of us are doing research for our vehicles.
    Another difference is road clearance, the forester has more clearance...if you aren't going off road, it won't matter. If you are...it could!