Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• nickelnickel Posts: 147
    Check on the LA Times webpage to read what Dan Neil has to say on the Forester review today. Neil is my favorite car writer, he used to work at Car and Driver and later got a Pulitzer prize.
    Subaru went smart (at last) with him, and let him drive the car for a whole week. Guess what happened.
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    Is it lower than the drivers seat fully declined? It is something I've noticed in other vehicles also. Usually takes the upper level trims in upper end vehicles to expect passenger height adjustments. But Subie doesn't offer it in any model which I think is an oversight if Subie wants to be upscale. Passenger seat is the last place I sit in a vehicle and the one I notice least - I usually start at the back and move forward so I honestly don't remember exactly how I felt in it.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,724
    Of all things, the turbo Forester is actually pretty fun to drive. It has good low-end torque, and the automatic transmission grabs and goes as it should.

A number of other mags, while whacking Forester for only having a 4-speed, go on to say that in the Forester Turbo, the 4-speed works quite well.
    Agreed, a 5-speed would probably help fuel economy, especially in the base model that has less torque.
    FYI, my XT does have decent response, but the 4-speed's a little rough from time to time.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Mileage reports sound good, especially since the engines are still green.

What is encouraging is that I recall when the 1998 model first came out, people weren't getting numbers quite this good. So despite being bigger, heavier, and more powerful, it's actually getting better numbers in the real world.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Is the seat track flat?

On my Miata I used spacers to raise the seat by about 3/8".

Some Subaru have seat tracks at an angle, though, making that very difficult.
  • arnabcarnabc Posts: 27
    Mileage reports sound good, especially since the engines are still green.

What is encouraging is that I recall when the 1998 model first came out, people weren't getting numbers quite this good. So despite being bigger, heavier, and more powerful, it's actually getting better numbers in the real world.

yes, i'm hopeful that once broken in, we may get something approaching 23/29 on a regular basis.

mind you, large chunks of last night's drive were on cruise control at about 70 mph, and on the way back there was significant wind.
    i've noticed it now that it has been mentioned, but given that i didn't notice it when i was sitting in it during our test-drives (my wife and i both drove it twice) i'm having a hard time getting worked up about it.
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Posts: 70
    My wife had the same complaint about passenger seat, It is unfortunate that is does not have the same adjustment as the drivers seat,
    Thanks to all on the advice of the trailer hitch! I got an online quote from UHaul for $139 parts + $45 Labor(est), hitch only. I just want to attach a bike carrier at this point, so the wiring is not important to me.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Why isn't the regular car antenna made to be a dual antenna?

Does such a thing exist? Don't even Benz's and BMWs have separate blade antennas for the satellite radio?

-Frank
  • birdboybirdboy Posts: 158
    thank you Frank. I am not sure. I am sure that this black square antenna stuck on my windshield inside the car could have been mounted somewhere on the roof and would not have interfered with the roof rack. I have not seen any other car makers with this design, not to mention the big price ticket for the xm adapter.
    "The turbo is not available with the five-speed manual, for reason only known to God."

Amen!

Personally I think it would be worth it for Subaru to offer a 5-speed (or better yet a 6-speed!) XT in the US even if they don't sell that many of them. I see it as providing a kind of performance halo to the entire model line and as has been pointed out, car magazines invaribably test drive the manually equipped models when available.

And why does that make a difference you ask? Well when Car & Driver awarded the Forester XT with the title of "Best Small SUV" three years in a row, it was a manual transmission model they test drove ;)

-Frank
  • redrose1redrose1 Posts: 49
    I'm glad to hear you and your wife are not too bothered by the seat height. Would it have influenced your decision to purchase the Forester?
  • redrose1redrose1 Posts: 49
    Has your wife adjusted to the low seat height?Had you noticed it before you purchased your car, would you still own the same car today?!
    I'm glad to hear you and your wife are not too bothered by the seat height. Would it have influenced your decision to purchase the Forester?

i doubt it highly. maybe if it had an actual impact on comfort. but it does seem like a silly design issue, doesn't it? i wonder what the reason is.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Kurt -
    I'm off topic here, but figured this was best place to reach you soon. :D If all goes well, I'll be taking the 3-4 hour drive south to your neck of the woods to pick up a used Legacy wagon down in Oregon City in the next 10 days or so. Do you have a recommendation for a Subaru shop in the vicinity to do a mechanical inspection? Your dealer or...? Thanks!
    - Jeff
    Jeff, Lithia Subaru is in Oregon City, just off the 210.
    Their service department seems decent.

Another Subaru dealer I've had good luck with, much farther away from your stopping point (20 miles or so), is Royal Moore Subaru in Hillsboro.

Carr Subaru is in Beaverton. My co-workers had nothing good to say about them.

Good luck! :shades:
  • Anybody notice the dope commenting on the LA Times article who criticized the fuel economy of the Forester while claiming that his '06 2wd Pathfinder got 20 city/25 highway? Sure, and the Escalade ESV gets 40. I don't even think a Pathfinder would get those kinds of numbers rolling downhill with a tailwind--it's officially rated at 14/20. I'm sure the Forester XT would blow its doors off anyway; the Pathfinder only has 46 more hp and weighs over 1,000 pounds more.
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    Moreso, Nissans are not reknowned for outperforming their EPA numbers.
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 303
    I'm trying to locate a Non-turbo test drive write-up for the forester. It looks like the only test drives are with the Turbos...from my research to date. I guess Subaru (and any other manufacturer for that matter) wants the most powerful car test driven for the magazines, etc.

I live at altitude, and drive up in the mountains. I don't want to buy a turbo model. It would be great to see a reviewer talk about the 2.5x. As the turbo has more HP, I'm sure it would make it up the mountains just fine.

Looking for input on the 2.5x for mountain driving. Anyone find a write-up like that?

Thanks!
    Motor Trend did a comparo of the '09 Forester X to a bunch of other 4-cylinder SUV'S either this or last month. Forester came out on top. :shades:

They also did brief test of Forester XT version for comparison.
    I live at altitude, and drive up in the mountains

You sure you don't want a turbo? At altitude is where turbos excel :)

-Frank
    Yup, that's the article...good find.
  • hmhchohmhcho Posts: 1
    I recently traded in my 98 Forester S 5-speed for an 09 Forester X Touring Package 5-speed. There was a big mechanics bill coming for the old one (head gasket, brakes, etc.), and I had to decide whether I was going to drive it into the ground or trade it in. Trade it was.

I was nicely surprised that the sticker on the new car was $4k less than the old one, despite a decade having passed. This played a big part in my decision process. When I compare the pricing to what I could have spent, I find I got a great car at an unbelievable price.

If I didn't have a trade, I could have gotten the vehicle for $1500 below MSRP. With the trade, I was in a far weaker bargaining position. Both dealers here readily knocked $1000 off MSRP. (But then they tack on a $495 doc fee, which I think is excessive.) That's not too bad for a brand new model that is selling well.

I could have saved about $3500 by importing from the US. But I would have had to wait for AWP. Also, optioning is different than Canadian models. In the end, it was not worth the hassle to me. Others may think differently.

Overall, I like the new Forester better than the old one. The new engine is a lot smoother, with much better low-end torque. I like the bigger, roomier interior -- wider trunk area, more rear passenger leg-room. The moon roof is great, but should have been tinted darker. I like the privacy glass. Interior is better insulated from road and wind noise. Fuel economy seems better than the old car (averaging 10.8L/100km). The new engine is slightly peppier than the old; but power has never been a problem for me, even on the old Forester. On the other hand, the 2.5X version is definitely no sports car.

My only nit-picks are: I miss some of the storage areas from the old model; cross-bars, cargo cover, and bumper pad are now options; clearance for hatch is VERY tight with bumper pad; rear bumper cover is kind of flimsy.

I had the OEM hitch and subwoofer installed as options. The hitch works well, but protrudes down below bumper more than I like. The subwoofer improves the sound system greatly. But, the recommended placement is really poorly thought out: the unit protrudes from under the driver's seat into the passenger area. The rear floor mat will no longer fit. And, the unit is exposed to possible water damage from wet shoes, etc. I ended up removing the mounting bracket, and repositioning the unit further under the seat; but it now partially blocks the rear air vents.

I'm also sad to report that after only 5 weeks, my new car already has a ding in the front passenger door, and has been rear-ended. (Sigh.) I know it wasn't going to stay new forever; but making it past the first service shouldn't be too much to ask.

The redesign for 09 has been somewhat controversial. Personally, I like the new design. Some of my friends like it so much, they are contemplating trading in their cars for new Foresters.

I thought I had outgrown my car-stage. But, I am surprised to find I am having a lot of fun in the new vehicle. I don't even mind driving in the awful Vancouver traffic.
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Posts: 70
    Yes, she has adjusted to the seat height and we would have still purchased the car. When I pick up my plates from the dealer, I will give them my feed back on this ans ask the ervice dept if anything can be done on this,
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Thanks, Kurt! Lithia is convenient for them, so that's what we'll do... if all goes well I'll have another Subie in the family on Father's Day. (Not meant to be a Father's Day present, but I'll take it!) I love my current newer Subies, but it'll feel good to have an older one again. I had my first Subaru for 240k miles and 13 years before we sold it, and I've missed it ever since. There's something special about a car that's seen a lot of good miles and keeps on asking to be driven. I hope this one turns out that way too.

Anyway, thanks again! :)
  • birdboybirdboy Posts: 158
    I left the VW Turbo family after 10 years for the Forester non turbo. Yes the power was nice, yes , most often I was speeding above and beyond and not even knowing it. yes I was paying for premium gas. I deliberately did not test drive the turbo forester because I believe that unless you know something, you do not miss it. I drive in the Catskill mountains and find the non turbo to be fine. On some inclines up the mountain , i need to switch to sport mode and she climbs well. At this point, i am happy with it, am using reg gas, and getting 27-30mpg on the open highway @60mph. I do find myself driving slower with this car and that to me is good thing. I am not driving slower because it lacks the power to drive @80 either. Good luck with whichever you decide to buy.
    I deliberately did not test drive the turbo forester because I believe that unless you know something, you do not miss it.

That is sound advice :shades:
  • orcorc Posts: 39
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I didn't have the notify me thing on.The interior materials are thin. Medium and large dogs will destroying if you don't cover everything up well. The plastic of the arm rests and center console are super cheap IMO. My wife's ford focus - a much less expensive vehicle - has superior materials in the interior. The forester interior doesn't even begin to compare with the F150 we finally got rid of. The seat material is plastic feeling and thin, Should this deter you from getting a forester? I don't know. Everything else is so nice about it you'll have to decide for yourself. Some like the interior.

The Outback? It doesn't have enough interior room for me at 6'4". I like the 09 Forester much better than the Outback for ergonomics. With a sunroof in the Outback I have zero headroom. Anyway, I sat in a new Outback, a new left over 2007 Forester and a new Tribeca. The Tribeca was nice but I liked fuel econmy, MSRP and sportiness of the Forester better.

My wife had an Impreza for 10 years before getting her Focus. The wife likes the Focus a lot better but that old Impreza was really durable. After 120,000 hard miles I had to either put a lot of "Fix it up" money into it or get a new car. It was a bit too small for me and I rarely drove it.
  • orcorc Posts: 39
    So far I'm averaging 23-24 mpg city traffic and 30-32 hwy. I backed up the mpg calculator reading on the dash with real numbers after fill-up's and they match. I haven't babied it too much so I'm pleasantly surprised it gets higher mpg than the EPA estimate. I read '09 Foresters sales are up 64% over '08 Forester sales. I believe it. I would not have bought an '08 because I don't fit in one well. The '09 looks much better IMO, has more interior room and still handles everything as good or better than older Foresters. The turbo would be nice but gas will soon be $5/gal USD I'm afraid. Uggghhhh...