Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• phdhuskyphdhusky Posts: 64
    How much do you weigh? I don't think there is any concern about the quality in this new forester.

Next time squat.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    I'm pretty sure that VON = Vehicle Order Number. The dealer should provide you this so you can track your new Forester's progress all the way from the factory to your dealer.

Having a VON also proves that the dealer really has ordered your Forester and isn't just waiting and hoping one shows up in the next allotment.

-Frank
    I ordered it on 4/19 from dealer I have dealt with since 1992. He told me that they had a black on order and he would find out who in the area had a dark grey one coming in and then arrange for a swap.

There's the problem, your dealer didn't really "order" your Forester on 4/19. I'm sure they had good intentions regarding the dealer swap and were trying to get you into a new Forester as soon as possible. However as you've now discovered, the downside is that these behind-the-scenes trades don't always go as planned. Had the dealer gone ahead and placed a factory order back in April, you'd probably have your new Forester now.

Some dealerships are reluctant to do factory orders and I don't know why. There's really not that much paperwork involved and as Big Frank pointed out, they get a sale without worrying about any floor-planning fees.

-Frank
  • sylviecatsylviecat Posts: 10
    Thank you Big Frank; that's some very helpful info! Really explains the whys and wherefores. :) I'll be sure to use it; can't wait.

Sylviecat
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Posts: 70
    Congratulations on your new Forester!

As to the low seat postion, all 3 people who have sat in the passenger seat of my Forester have all complained about seat height and ask me, "Where is the height adjustment?".

Has anyone asked their dealer if anything can be done about permanently raising the seat height? I will call my salesman to see if anything can be done.

Other than that, I am extremely happy with my purchase.
  • bbthomasbbthomas Posts: 24
    Just curious, has anyone tried (or measured) to see if a full size spare will fit in the storage well?

Thx
    BBT
  • Can you elaborate on what's better/different about Subaru's 4WD system compared to Honda's

phdhusky gives a good summary above, and as the previous owner of two CRV's I can tell you the practical downside to the part time 4WD. Even though the power transfer to the rear wheels happens very quickly when slippage is detected, there's still a slight delay and this can be bad in snow, particularly during a turn. Think about the physics of it--you're partway through a turn, front wheels pulling and starting to slide when the rear wheels kick in. Is this going to help you turn? No--it's going to push you forward, straight ahead, and in my wife's case, right into a curb with the front wheels turned so you screw up the front suspension to the tune of about $900.

I got used to it after a while and got so I could plan for the delay, but it was never a comfortable feeling.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,714
    after a 600 mile trip. What I learned:

1. The front doors have some internal resonances that occur in 50 - 60 degree weather. Once they warm up the vibrations stop.

2. Freeway mileage was only fair; Around 26 mpg from Portland to Medford OR, but only 23 mpg coming back. Speeds were 65 to 70. There's either a lot of driveline friction or rolling tire resistance, for the XT is far less prone to speeding up when going downhill as my long gone Malibu Maxx was. The cruise control, though it handles hills well, can "oscillate" in some situations.

Other stuff:

wrt Subaru credit card "gotchas" there are potential for financial fees, and the AFR is pretty high.

The wheelwell trim does help protect the rear doors when they open. However, those who have it should make sure rearmost door seals are not being pinched by it when the doors are closed.

Windshield power jack? I've not seen any of those on the XT. There is a lower jack in the center console.
    has anyone tried (or measured) to see if a full size spare will fit in the storage well?

Sounds like something right up Juice's alley :shades:

FYI, in the previous gen Forester, a full size spare would fit but you had to remove the styrofoam storage tray.

-Frank
  • barnowlbarnowl Posts: 18
    Hi all!

Does anyone know if the 2009 Forester X ( not Turbo ) Premium with All Weather Package has the Rear Limited Slip Differential?

I see that the 2009 Outback 2.5 SE Specs on "Everything Subaru" website list the Rear Limited Slip Differential.

I haven't seen any specs on the 2009 Forester that show this......the downloaded Brochure doesn't even describe the various AWD systems in the Specs section at the end.

Any help appreciated! Thanks.
    I could be wrong but I think with the 09s, Subaru dropped the rear Limited Slip Differential (LSD) in favor of Electronic Stability Control (ESC).

-Frank
    No Limited Slip diffs are on the '09 Forester.
    They were dropped in favor of VDC and VTC (vehicle dynamic control and vehicle traction control), which uses brakes as a "limited slip" replacement.

Outbacks, Legacies still have Limited slips in back (STI also has one in front).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Let's see, I don't recall the exact date we placed the order.

I looked back and I have an e-mail from my salesman asking us to come in, and that was dated May 1. I think we ordered that Saturday, so May 3rd, IIRC.

I later e-mailed him asking for a VON (Frank is correct about what that means), and got a VON on the 17th.

It arrived at the dealership, ready for delivery, on Jun 9th.

So about a month for me. I'm pretty sure the dealer put in the order right away. Get the VON and you'll know they did.

Full size spare fit? Only one way to find out! :D

Though the wife already claimed the storage cubbies above the donut, so I may lose this battle. Especially since she never used the full sizer I swapped out on her Legacy.
  • skeletonskeleton Posts: 37
    I say just keep the driver's seat lowered and the passenger won't feel like their seat needs to be adjusted.

...haven't received any complaints so far myself...
    Simple solution. :D

It's fine when I'm there, because I'm taller than my wife.

Problem is, I want to drive it once in a while, too!
  • phdhuskyphdhusky Posts: 64
    You should buy your own Forester...seems like we know who wears the pants in that relationship ;)
    I wear the pants...when I'm ironing her pants. :D
  • From what I can tell the Premium package and the LLBean model are supposed to have height adjustments as one of the features. The Premium package version is manual and the LLBean is powered. Can anyone verify this who has one of these cars?

Also how much does the wind noise at 70 mph bother anyone?

Can anyone make a case for the LLBean (soon to be just called the Limited) model as opposed to the X with Premium and All-Weather. I guess the leather seats might be one reason. But I am trying to figure out if there are some other reasons to justify spending more money.

Thanks
    Yes, the power driver's seat is height adjustable on our Limited. My wife was pleasantly surprised to find that feature at this price level (her previous car didn't have it).

For me, it doesn't matter so much. But I won't complain, either.

Can't comment on the wind noise because I didn't drive it at high speeds yet. Generally, though, with the window frames there is less wind noise than in her 02 Legacy. A lot less.
    On a 600 mile trip, the XT I drive had very little wind noise at 65 - 70 mph, in either direction (North or South).