Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    most of the issues the Forester had were in the past 2002-2006

Actually the Forester has only experienced two significant issues (head gaskets & wheel bearings) and then only from its introduction in 1998 to 2002. The 2003 redesign addressed both those issues and since then there have been no major mechanically issues.

-Frank
  • ...and noticed these differences wrt the XT:

1. Seat tilts as it lifts, which gives very little support to thighs unless you are willing to put seat way back, which means your arms are straight.
    2. Steering columm only tilts, which makes it harder to get comfortable,
    3. Engine is more responsive off the line than the XT is (I think the rear gear ration is different), but runs out of steam quickly. I'd be uncomfortable trying to pass anyone in this car.
    4. X leans more in turns than the XT does.

Also noticed the small bump harshness again (that went away in the XT once I replaced the Geolander tires with Nokians.).

No rattles, though.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,414
    I swear those interior rattles wait until about 5-7 days after you drive the car off the lot. :P
  • They found my front door rattles and fixed them today; added foam insulation to several parts of the doors' inner frames and checked it out with drive and manually tapping doors.
    They also asked if next time they could replace my license plate surrounds with _their_ dealership's surrounds (guess they need the advertising ?? ;) )

Unfortunately they left some small scratches in the interior door frame (and apparently the touch-up peral white for the exterior doesn't work on the white inside of the doors - it comes off a different color).

I also noticed the same little creaks I occasionally hear in the XT also showing up in the X. They seem to be dash related.
    Also noted that X had a problem with its fuel gauge; a full tank only made it read 7/8th full.
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    Steering columm only tilts, which makes it harder to get comfortable

There's another one of those things that make little sense: the Foresters in Canada get tilt/telescope at every trim. I note from the US specs that not even X Limiteds get it.

Engine is more responsive off the line than the XT

Big part of that is the base compression ratio is lower for the turbo. Less oomph off the line inevitably follows until the turbo spools. It's not the gear ratios as they are the same until 4th according to Cars 101.

I'm assuming you had a lower trim level, as the power seat on the X Limited is identical to the XT L. That would probably account for the handling difference too, namely 16" tires on the X versus your lower profile 17"s. Suspension is identical for all trim levels, so tires are the only potential source of that difference. IF you'd driven the X Limited, it should have erased half of the differences.
  • I goofed... :surprise:
    What I was driving as loaner was an X-Premium. It had moonroof and reclining rear seats, but no power seat. The X-P's tires, Yoko Geolanders, appeared similar to what I used to have on my XT-L.

The X-P's acceleration felt linear. Not the XT-L, which got busy once the revs got into the low 2K's. Neither one, though, gave any noticeable tire spin when accelerating on our currently wet roads.
  • Tell me what you like or dislike about your 2009 Forester??? Is this your first Subaru? What is your past experience with your Subaru??
  • There are a lot of Forester comments back around message #400 (that's where folks, including me, started actually buying and driving '09 Foresters).
    Some of the reviews are pretty detailed, and somewhere back there I've compared the '09 Forester to the '08 Outback XT, which I test drove at least 4 times and sorta liked, but became also-ran after 2 test drives in the '09 Forester XT.
    Excellent point Kurt. A quick skim thru the preceding 2,600 posts will provide a wealth of info about the 09 Forester :)

-Frank
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    Well, compared to what I considered its competition, namely the Rav4 and CR-V I felt the Forester won hands down after drive character, features, safety, fuel economy and overall feel were weighed in. In the end, I traded my 04 WRX for a 09 WRX because it had a cheaper lease than the Forester (despite a higher MSRP) and offered a fun factor very few cars can deliver, and for the $$ unparalleled in a vehicle which still excells in the snow or on gravel roads. In case you don't know, the WRX is a Subaru also. If it had been a simple cash purchase, I'd be driving a Forester right now. In almost 5 years of service, the only issue I ever had with my old car was the odd squeak or rattle which is pretty much standard in Canadian winters. Subarus are recognized as reliable vehicles, but in the end, drive one. For some of us, they offer a feeling of connection and control that most other brands don't.
  • I agree that there's lots of great info here about what people like and don't like about their Forester. I also love reading the reviews, in a different section on Edmunds. Thanks to all the posters!

That said, I like the 09 Forester better than I thought I would. It's not as snazzy looking as perhaps the CR-V or the Outlander. But it is much more fun and easier to drive. I like the AWD much better than I had anticipated. I like wide expanse of the windows, the way the tires stick to the pavement while driving in the rain, the back seat configuration, the big 'trunk' area space, the way the interior lights go on when you close the passenger doors.

For awhile, I thought the lower front passenger seat was weird, but now we've adjusted all the seats in front. The stereo could be much better.

I had the Forester next to a CR-V in a parking lots recently and was surprised to compare that the Forester had much more 'trunk' area. I brought home an 8 ft ladder recently and had no problems fitting it in. :shades:

I keep wishing that General Motors had built a car like this with safety features, decent gas mileage, $10,000 cheaper than the Arcadia, and all the other 09 Forester features.
  • Hi, I would like to know how did you proceed to ajust the front passenger seat, With the Dealer?

Yes, 2009 Subaru Forester is a very good car, I live in Quebec Canada and with the snow that we have here, it is a must. My wife has also a 2004 Subaru Impreza.

Have a nice day,

Excuse my english!
    For some of us, they offer a feeling of connection and control that most other brands don't.

Well stated; I could not agree more. I mentioned to my wife that I am interested in a WRX or XT come our next Subaru go-round, but she just looked at me. You know, that look. I'm not sure it will happen.... :D
  • Through October, overall U.S. auto sales are down nearly 15% compared with last year, and just one major automaker, Subaru, has sold more cars in the U.S. this year than last.

Did most of that gain came from one model, the '09 Forester?
  • Forester sales in October were 28% more this year than last year.
    Check out Subaru's report/press release at http://www.subaru.com/common/news/article_details.jsp?cat=current&fileName=news2- 008.xml&date=20081103

Here's a similar report from the Lafayette, Indiana, newspaper (where Subaru has a plant)
    http://www.jconline.com/article/20081103/NEWS09/81103035/-1/ARCHIVE
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    The 60% down for the Tribeca makes me wonder if anything other than its 3.6 liter engine will continue very long. Even the engine might be in question: The assembly procedures for it (the engine) may be too costly.

I wouldn't mind having that engine in my Outback 3.0R. :)
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    My guess is that Forester gains are coming at the expense of the Outback. If you compare their numbers from 2007 and 2008 (year-to-date sales) they've flip-flopped almost exactly, in favor of the Forester.

Bob
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    Has anyone bought the side molding kit and installed it themselves? Does it involve drilling?
  • I bought the kit ... installation was a breeze. It includes paper templates so getting the location right is easy. No drilling, just stick on. They include the alcohol wipes to ensure they adhere well. They look great on our grey XT Limited and give me some peace of mind against door dings ...
  • bj02176bj02176 Posts: 115
    I hated my 2003 Forester (I think it was a 2003, it's not something to remember), especially when I slid across Montvale Ave in Woburn from a side st. Very bad abs system.

Better is a 2005 Ford Escape

Better is a 2007 Santa Fe

Better is a 2008 CRV
    Hahahaha! No, it was not your ABS system, it was your tires. Subaru vehicles can deceive you because they will go like hell, even with awful tires, while most everything else is standing still spinning. But, you still have to stop, and the only thing that is there to get the job done are your brakes and your tires, and the buck stops with the tires. ;)
    Yes, but Outback must be doing fairly well, as last I saw there were no incentives on the Outback. This time last year, there was a $1500 incentive. The year before, it was $750.

I think between the upgrades to Impreza, the new Forester, and the upgrades to Outback (VDC across the lineup), Subaru is a very compelling purchase for many people right now. With the instability in the economy, it is all about value, versatility, and longevity.
    Boy, almost makes me want to go buy one just for the engine.

Okay, well, maybe not, but I am antsy to see what the debut of the 2010 Legacy/Outback brings....
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to get a set. My Matrix has enough dings. I don't want to repeat that with the Forester.

Heuberger wanted like $335 for the side moldings installed.
    I hated my 2003 Forester

Better is a 2005 Ford Escape

Better is a 2007 Santa Fe

Better is a 2008 CRV

Best is a 2009 Forester! :P
  • Love my 2009 Forester but:

Something's going on with the 2009 Forester's re-fueling door? I need to slide a credit card into the slight opening that the unlatching lever provides. If I use my fingers, I usually end up re-latching the door. Sometimes it take two people to get it open, one working the lever by the driver's seat and the other working with the credit card on the passenger side. I've held up a lot of other drivers waiting in line to refuel.

It's back at the dealer for the 3rd time. The first time they lubricated it and said it is working as designed. The next time I complained, they said they discovered a previously unknown adjustment. It opened about 4 inches when they demonstrated their success. They showed me how to dress the gas cap tether. The first time I went to get gas I had to use my credit card again. The last time I went to get gas it wouldn't open at all. It took two of us to get it open.

Well like I said before, its back at the dealer. They indicated others are having the same problem and the factory is aware of the situation. I have my doubts but they did give me a loaner while they figure out what to do.

Is there anything in the pipeline to improve this poor design? Has anyone else seen this problem?
  • I had this exact same problem on my 06. There is a small band spring on the hinge side that is supposed to pop the door open. I found that by taking it out and bending it a little bit cured the whole problem. As I remember it is held in place with 1 screw. It took me about 3 minutes to fix, after weeks of frustration and looking foolish at the self-serve.
  • I've not seen the fuel door problem on mine yet, but good to know how to fix it.
    There could also be friction of the spring on the body that might exacerbate the problem.

Another thing to watch out for are creaks from the sunroof. Part of them are caused by the moonroof inner cover rubbing against the metal deflector, and possibly the uppermost edge of the moonroof trim. My latest fix was to use a dry lubricant on both the inner part of deflector, and the upper edge of the moonroof door rubbing against the deflector. Only time will tell if this works for sure.
  • I also bought this kit and installed it. Installation was super easy, and
    they look really nice on my metallic gold colored Forester.
  • Your English is better than some I see here!