Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Outback 2008 MPG

2»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The tanks are underground and well insulated from temperature fluctuations.
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    lower octane fuel doesn't give as much energy per joule compared to plus or premium.

isn't a joule a joule regardless of its anti knock capability????
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Posts: 165
    Yes and no. Since there's more resistance to premature detonation, there's more power in the bonds of the hydrocarbon, therefore it releases more energy when the bonds are broken.

It's a minimal gain.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Actually from what I remember if your car is tuned to run on regular you will actually get MORE power from a lower octane fuel than from a higher octane fuel. The higher octane is merely there to prevent detonation before the spark plug detonates the fuel due to heat.

Bottom line is unless your car is tuned for premium (turbo cars/supercharged cars, higher performance cars) then you are wasting your $ on premium.

-mike
  • carlo808carlo808 Posts: 2
    I live in Los Angeles and my one-way commute to work is about 13 miles hwy. Round trip, the dash computer says 28.5ish mpg. On a recent 60 mile roundtrip this weekend, trip computer noted 33.6 mpg.

I drive like a grandma (no offense), between 58-63 mpg. I use the cruise control when possible and avoid all the jackrabbit starts at the line. Car only has about 3500 miles on it now, would like to see how mileage changes as we head to our camping spots in the mountains this fall.
    Grandmothers should not be offended, in fact with current gas prices they should be proud! 33.6 mpg sounds good to me! :shades:
    I've seen grandmothers driving STis before.

-mike
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Posts: 215
    If only they made the 2.5i Manual in LIMITED trim still!! :shades:
  • Or for that matter still made a freakin' wagon. Just when people are dumping their SUVs for cars Subaru kills the Legacy Wagon... really dumb. After driving my in-laws Outback I don't see my self returning to Subaru unless they bring back a regular mid-sized wagon. I will be looking for a new car in 5 years or so...we will see.
  • carp53carp53 Posts: 4
    Any suggestions for a good place to get my 2003 Outback serviced in Seattle ?
    (pssst - get a Forester)
  • A Forester is most certainly NOT a wagon, especially the new one...ick. I don't want a tall SUV looking vehicle, I want a REAL wagon like my Legacy. Honestly, I don't see the point of the Forester when you can get an Outback for the same price and get more room and an overall better vehicle.
    LOL, tell me how you really feel...

The 2009 Forester actually has more leg room than the Legacy, IMHO. Try out the new one if you haven't already.

The cargo area is not as long, but it's taller and box-shaped, so in practice it's very useful.

You sit higher up to see better, and it costs a tad less. Resale is better - ask car_man for residuals and you'll see. I think it has a tad more ground clearance, too, and a tighter turning radius.

I do think the Outback has a nicer interior, though.
    Vehicle: 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited (4S Automatic)

A half-tank in, I'm showing 23 MPG city/highway combined (about 6 miles highway and 4 miles city to work each way) with the Air Conditioner on constantly.

I did some quick math after the sale of my previous vehicle, a 2000 Honda Civic LX Automatic.

10 miles per gallon difference will end up being something like this for my Honda:

Subaru - 23 MPG Combined - 23 * 17 gallon tank = Range on Paper of 390 miles.
    Honda - 30 MPG Combined - 30 * 11 gallon tank = Range on Paper of 330 miles.

In terms of a pricing standpoint, with gas at 3.50 a gallon here in NJ,

3.50 / 30mpg = 11.67 cents per mile
    3.50 / 23mpg = 15.27 cents per mile

Assuming I drive 10,000 miles per year, I'll be paying $0.036 * 10,000 more in fuel a year.

That difference is $360. Is $360 worth surviving an accident? Better yet, is it worth having a vehicle that can help you AVOID the accident all together? My answer was yes.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the results so far. I'm taking a ride this weekend on a stretch of 50 miles of Highway, so I'll have to set the trip B MPG computer to figure that out. Unfortunately, I can't use Cruise Control yet until the break in's done - but that's ok, that's just another 800 miles away.

I guess with all the negative posts here I was expecting like 10 miles per gallon for the first couple thousand miles or so while the computer gets its act together.
    Plus you don't have to rent a 4x4 to get to work when it snows. ;)
    You'll probably jump a bit above 23mpg. I drive many of the same conditions as you are Pilot and with my LGT I get an average of 21mpg, and I push it HARD.

Once you hit about 8-10k miles you'll be at optimal MPG.

I'm currently in a rental 08 Forester AT Base and I'm getting about 24mpg and I'm romping on this thing like a red-headed step child :)

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    Hmm. The Limited GT is Turbocharged, you're getting a higher MPG than Sub advertises. Maybe it's your synthetic that's reducing friction!

Taking it for a ride on highway up and down the GSP today and tomorrow for a few trips, I'll use Trip B to calculate highway MPG.

I've noticed that at startup the idle is high as per some posts on this forum (about 1.5k RPM) - but it seems to drop within about 30 seconds of startup down to under 1k RPM. Probably just a sensor or two that needs to get a little warmer. I'll keep my eye on it in the winter because people said they've actually stalled or borderline stalled.
    That's the PZEV you have bumping the idle for 30 seconds.

I don't think the highway MPG on the LGT 5MT is lower than 21mpg? Heck when I had stock sized snows on I was getting 23mpg and driving saner.

On the highway even with the slicker wider tires I'm getting about 24mpg at 80mph, at 65 I can get 27mpg on the highway, but I never drive that way.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
2»
This discussion has been closed.