Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt - Door Issues

Comments

• I also own a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. It has the same door issue which occurred yesterday. My son is a mechanic professional and says that this issue is not a normal issue and to check for a recall. My car has 34,000 miles on it. The driver side door has a door handle inside and outside replaced under warranty at around 20,000 miles due to the driver outside door handle not releasing and springing back into position all the way leaving the handle slightly open and the door handle itself upon use loose. I also had both inside handles replaced during warranty due to cosmetic reasons. It appears there are quite a few with this same issue yet nothing is being said as to correcting this problem as a safety issue except to take it to the dealer and pay a huge amount to fix it. I am lucky, my son is a mechanic and the cost of parts will be my only cost, however others are not so lucky. This door being in the closed locked position means that the door panel is almost next to impossible to remove without damage. Thus the cost of $1200 quoted to one victim is not out of the ballpark. It appears that GM would note this problem and do something about it for the good of customer service. It appears age has more to do with this problem than mileage.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    Hello,
    Please email me at socialmedia@gm.com so I can get some more information about your concern with your vehicle. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • angie27angie27 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Cobalt I deactivate the alarm w/ the key fob lights blink,doors unlock, alarm goes off i open the door & the security light is back on! The doors remained unlocked I walked around the car opened the passengers side & the horn started blowing & lights flashing & I had 2 run & get the fob to shut it off. I hit the unlock button even though all doors are unlocked to deactivate the alarm & it keeps setting itself again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :mad: :cry:
    Hello Angie27,
    Have you had the vehicle looked at for the concern? How long has the concern been present? Thank you,
  • hornsadhornsad Posts: 1
    Hello - My car starting having the same door issues, first after unlocking the car, the driver side door will not open, this happen for about 2 days. As of yesterday, the door does not latch in order for the door to lock. Now, I am driving with a string on my door in order for it to lock while I drive. After reading all of the postings in this site I am afraid to take it to the dealership and find out that is going to cost me an arm and a leg to get it fix. I took it to an independent shop to see if I can get a quote, of course they will charge just to look at it, but they could not tell me a quote for repair. This is frastruating since my car is almost paid off and of course the warranty is out!
  • Hi All
    My daughter has a 2005 cobalt ls coupe, with door problems. The doors sometime will not open. This has been an ongoing problem for at least 18months. Today she is visiting friend in VA. and the door will not open, which means to get out she has to crawl-out thru the passenger door. In doing so she hurt her leg and ankle. If there was an emergency situation and needed to get out of the car, she would be trapped. The 2 dealers have looked at the car and they lube the latch. That works for about a week and then the problem is back. The estimated cost for the repair is between $750.00 and $1000.00. This is a problem GM should repair at no cost, due to the safety issues.
    Hello Precisevb,
    I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Has the door ever been repaired? Did the dealership ever do anything else than just lubing the latch? Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage so I can look into this further? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • I also have an '05 Cobalt ls. The doors lock and unlock by themselves. Also, there are times when my door wont shut and when I finally do get it to shut, it wont open and it will take days to get it open. There was another time where both doors wouldnt open and I had to crawl out of the window. What if my windows decided not to roll down? I would be stuck in my car... Isnt this a safty issue? When I called a GM dealer and told him about it, he said he has never heard of the problem and that he doesnt know what to do because he isnt an actual chevy dealer. The alarms always go off too. I always have to use my unlock button that is on my keys to deactivate the alarms and then open the door. Very hard to do when that button doesnt even want to work. There are times when I have the a/c on and no air is blowing out at all and when I turn it completly off, it will blow out cold air. I dont understand with everyone having these problems, why A GM dealer hasnt heard of it and why there isnt a recall. I love my car but now have to buy a new one because of this.
    Hello Hsulzer,
    I apologize that you are experiencing concerns with your vehicle. So the GM dealership you contacted why did they say there weren't an actual GM dealer? Have you contacted any other GM dealers in the area? Have you had the vehicle diagnosed by anyone? Thank you,
  • Mariah, I have a 2006 Cobalt with door issues such as mysteriously locking and unlocking; not closing; not opening when I do get it closed; car dying when idling.

I have sent you and email.

Sincerely, Linda
  • Hello pthreadgill, I am a professional technician dedicated to working on anything and everything made by General Motors. I just fixed the same make and model with the same problem today. Your problem is that your door lock switch is shorted out. The switch uses one wire to control the driver commands. Meaning a short on that wire will cause both the locking and unlocking. Replace the door lock switch/switches ( I recommend you get them both replaced), and your troubles will be over.

Welcome in advance.
  • I have a 2006 chevy cobalt Lt and the doors won't open I used the key from the outside but it won't let me in. I used the remote and it still won't let my open the doors the fuse is still good I even replaced it. I tried to open the doors from the outside and inside but that doesn't work. The other day I took it to sutlif Chevey in Harrisburg pa and the passenger side door opened so instead of climing out of the sun roof I had to clime out the window and wind up falling on there wet floor from the rain. So I told them what was wrong with it and they checked it. Then they told me that it could cost me around $1,000 to fix it. They want to run tests and milk money out of people. They didn't seem to care about nothing exept taking money. I even had probloms with the air vents and when it was under warenty and they didn't fix that. What a bad business. Can someone give me advice for my doors. I don't have $1,000 to give away to the company who sells faulty doors and cars.
  • The buttons work fine
  • cchallcchall Posts: 2
    This is more than the door lock switch. I have a 2005 Cobalt and a year and a half ago my door locks did the same thing, locked and unllocked by themselves, my car started dying when idling and things just went from bad to worse...we ended up replacing the body control module and it helped with everything, we also replaced several other parts before the BCM trying to fix this problem...well here we are again not even two years later and it is all happening over again...the VERY SAME problems!!! SO frustrating, I just got my power steering back and now this again! Going to fix and SELL it and never by another Chevy as long as I live! So disappointing, it used to be such a great product...
    Hello Cchall,
    I apologize that you have had concerns with your vehicle. Do you currently have the vehicle at the dealership? Do you currently have a case with GM? If so, what is the case number? Thank you,
  • Nope they had the chance and a second chance now I reported them.
    Hello Laurence1983,
    I apologize that you have had concerns with your vehicle. I can understand that you are frustrated with your situation. However, you can e-mail me if you change your mind. You can get my e-mail by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • cchallcchall Posts: 2
    No, I can't afford to get this fixed at the dealership...have spent way too much money on this car as it is! I am ordering the parts through the dealership but that is it...I also do not have a case with GM...when the whole power sterring thing happened I gave up on trying to talk to them as I had sent snail mail and email with no response to any of my concerns.
    Hello Cchall,
    I am sorry that no one responded when you tried to contact them. If you would like to e-mail me your information I can get you in contact with an agent. I would need you to e-mail me your contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership. You can get my e-mail by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • I have a 2006 two door Cobalt SS. I am experiencing a similar issue door with my driver side door. It originally would not close fully. I was able to get the door to finally close but now I can not get it to open. When I try from either the inside or outside handle it will not release. Any one have any clue how I could fix this issue? This is a major safety concern!!

To use the car I have to climb in from passenger side which is not very easy. I experienced the same problem on passenger side door last year this time but it fixed itself. Not sure if weather is a factor in this problem. Any one have any recommendations on how to get the latch to release so I might be able to get it fixed?