Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt - Door Issues

Comments

• Hello pthreadgill, I am a professional technician dedicated to working on anything and everything made by General Motors. I just fixed the same make and model with the same problem today. Your problem is that your door lock switch is shorted out. The switch uses one wire to control the driver commands. Meaning a short on that wire will cause both the locking and unlocking. Replace the door lock switch/switches ( I recommend you get them both replaced), and your troubles will be over.

Welcome in advance.
  • I have a 2006 chevy cobalt Lt and the doors won't open I used the key from the outside but it won't let me in. I used the remote and it still won't let my open the doors the fuse is still good I even replaced it. I tried to open the doors from the outside and inside but that doesn't work. The other day I took it to sutlif Chevey in Harrisburg pa and the passenger side door opened so instead of climing out of the sun roof I had to clime out the window and wind up falling on there wet floor from the rain. So I told them what was wrong with it and they checked it. Then they told me that it could cost me around $1,000 to fix it. They want to run tests and milk money out of people. They didn't seem to care about nothing exept taking money. I even had probloms with the air vents and when it was under warenty and they didn't fix that. What a bad business. Can someone give me advice for my doors. I don't have $1,000 to give away to the company who sells faulty doors and cars.
  • The buttons work fine
  • cchallcchall Posts: 2
    This is more than the door lock switch. I have a 2005 Cobalt and a year and a half ago my door locks did the same thing, locked and unllocked by themselves, my car started dying when idling and things just went from bad to worse...we ended up replacing the body control module and it helped with everything, we also replaced several other parts before the BCM trying to fix this problem...well here we are again not even two years later and it is all happening over again...the VERY SAME problems!!! SO frustrating, I just got my power steering back and now this again! Going to fix and SELL it and never by another Chevy as long as I live! So disappointing, it used to be such a great product...
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068
    Hello Cchall,
    I apologize that you have had concerns with your vehicle. Do you currently have the vehicle at the dealership? Do you currently have a case with GM? If so, what is the case number? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Nope they had the chance and a second chance now I reported them.
    Hello Laurence1983,
    I apologize that you have had concerns with your vehicle. I can understand that you are frustrated with your situation. However, you can e-mail me if you change your mind. You can get my e-mail by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • cchallcchall Posts: 2
    No, I can't afford to get this fixed at the dealership...have spent way too much money on this car as it is! I am ordering the parts through the dealership but that is it...I also do not have a case with GM...when the whole power sterring thing happened I gave up on trying to talk to them as I had sent snail mail and email with no response to any of my concerns.
    Hello Cchall,
    I am sorry that no one responded when you tried to contact them. If you would like to e-mail me your information I can get you in contact with an agent. I would need you to e-mail me your contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership. You can get my e-mail by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • I have a 2006 two door Cobalt SS. I am experiencing a similar issue door with my driver side door. It originally would not close fully. I was able to get the door to finally close but now I can not get it to open. When I try from either the inside or outside handle it will not release. Any one have any clue how I could fix this issue? This is a major safety concern!!

To use the car I have to climb in from passenger side which is not very easy. I experienced the same problem on passenger side door last year this time but it fixed itself. Not sure if weather is a factor in this problem. Any one have any recommendations on how to get the latch to release so I might be able to get it fixed?
  • I was able to get the door to open by soaking the inside with WD40 and also working the lock some but still experiencing the problem intermitent. Will need to get looked at. Any recommendations on parts I will need to order and replace. Service Dept at dealership say Striker maybe bad. I was told it should only take them less than an hour to replace. If I was to do myself what parts do I need?
  • jrhottjrhott Posts: 1
    Did you ever get the door sticking problem resolved. Mine just started on my 2005 Cobalt.
  • deathcapdeathcap Posts: 6
    I too have a problem with my passenger door opening im going to try lubing it to get it open so i can remove the panel and replace any shorted wires and such if not it seems ill have to cut into the panel damaging it. I looked online a new panel isnt too expensive. As for any1 with the idling issue and the car turning off, i had the same problem. To fix it all i had to do was clean the throttle body assembly which isnt too hard. The tools i used were a screwdriver, a pair of pliers, a tooth brush, and throttle body cleaner that i got at advanced ap. Make sure to not get the cleaner on the mass airflow sensor advanced also sells a seperate cleaner for the sensor cause that could be an issue. I just got in and under the throttle and cleaned it with the cleaner and toothbrush and my car is running fine. Just make sure not to get it on the sensor. I didnt clean the sensor but my car is running fine. Also make sure the fuel injector is clean. Ill post back if i can fix my door somehow.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,085
    Can the door be opened by someone using a slim jim type device that reaches a part of the latch and pulls on it to open the door?
  • cuppycakecuppycake Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    OMG, i just had the same thing happen to me two days ago..i have a 2008 cobolt. i have not yet taken it to the dealer cause i know it will cost so much money. i have had so many electrical issues with this car. first all my windows went out. i took it to the dealer to be fixed they replaced the motors.. a month later they all went out again.. they replaced them once again.. about two to three months they all started going out one by one. now they are all completly not working. Then my power steering went out.. now my flipping drivers side door will not unlock. i have to crawl in fromt he passenger side. which is a huge safety issue. when i try to use the key to get in the key just turns there is no pull in the handle.. soooo frustrating. oh and top of all of that the power starts to go out on the lock and unlock buttons when you push them about 5 times. MY fobe does not unlock/or lock my car in turns means sense my key wont work on the drivers side, the drivers side wont unlock at all and the fobe wont work i have to leave my car unlocked at all times cause if i lock the other three doors i wont be able to get in the car at all. these cars are a joke!!!
  • Cuppycake,

I’m sorry to hear about this repeat concern with your Cobalt. I see that you had worked with a dealership in the past – can we help you towards getting this concern resolved? Please email us with your name, VIN, involved dealership, and any other information you can.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have the same problem right now. I have a 05 ss cobalt and it started last weekend with the door not closing and finaly got it close and it would not come open. I had to call pop a lock to get it open. It just happend again last night though. It wont open from inside or out and i called a gm dealer and they said they havent had this happen before and the guy at pop a lock said he has never seen it either. Does anyone have any advice? It should be a recall! Thanks
  • I have the same problem. was at walmart, tried to shut the door, it wouldn't shut. I looked at the latch didn't see anything wrong shut it again and it shut with no problem. The next day, I shut the door after driving it and it never opened again from the outside or the inside. I have to crawl over the stick shift to be able to drive it. I just paid for a mysterious computer upgrade I was supposed to do and I can't afford another high priced service charge. With all the people having the same problem, it should be a recall. I will most likely sell this car after I fix it and never own another one. Which is sad as my dad retired from Chevy. :-(
  • zeyad1zeyad1 Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Hi gearheadguru

I'm having similar problems with Chev Cobalt 2007. The drivers door starts opening and closing and I suspected a short in the switch. I unplugged the wires from the switch and the door problems are solved for the time being. I'm planing to take it to a technician since I want the problem to be fixed ones and for all.

I noticed something strange about the electrical circuits about the car. After unplugging the door switch the rear lights aren't working any more. Could the unplugging of switch caused that or am I looking a bigger electrical problem ?
  • no i never did fix the door i dont have money for a dealer to fix it ill try with a slim jim thing because i believe it may be a clip down at the bottom may have become disconnected somehow because all the cables for the latch work fine. i was at a body shop because i was rear ended and the owner came out and looked at it( ive cut the panel pretty much off) he said im pretty much doing what he would do haha if anyone has any other ideas let me know because im worried if i am wrong and i cant get the door close i will be screwed.
  • I have an 05 cobalt and worse gm car I have ever had, and my family bleeds gm blood, they have been working there since the 40's. This car has had problems after problems. Most recent is the rear drivers door won't shut or stay closed. This is a major safety issue and on a 7 year old car should not have it. Any ideas on what it could be or am I S.O.L. , I think it is the hole locking mechanism . Any info on this would be amazing, or if you have the.same problem let me know how you fixed it.

I will tell you, it makes me cry but I will never buy gm again, if competitors will match the gm pricing
  • jan11pajan11pa Posts: 1
    my Cobalt drivers door is stuck closed. the power locks go up and down but the door latch does not feel like its releasing the door. you try the handle and it does nothing. what a hassle! I never had a door issue like this with any car...they can't make the door latch so it works for the life of the car?
    any suggestions on how to get the door opened so I can look at the latch would help.
    so disappointed in Chevy engineering and manufacturing.
    Looks like they want about $500 or more to fix this problem...is that right?
  • rosa11rosa11 Posts: 3
    HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY CAR CALL 18002633777 PRESS4 AND EXT 2346 THEY TOLD ME AT GM THEY HAVE NO COMPLAINTS ON THIS ISSUE SO ANYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM REPORT IT TO GM AT THIS #
  • tere_stere_s Posts: 2
    I bought a 2006 chevy cobalt in November from a local dealership and they said everything was fine with the car but that the drivers side panel wouldn't lock the doors, but the passenger side did. I was fine with that. A little over a month after i bought it i noticed that my car doors were always unlocked, even though i know i locked them. Now about 2 months ago, my car doors unlock as i am driving!! I'm terrified that some one is going to break into my car. Suggestions???? :cry:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,085
    Sounds like a control module is telling the doors to unlock when it shouldn't.

I would take out the fuse for the power doors locks if there is a separate one. It may be a shared circuit with something else, but that way you know your doors won't unlock in the middle of the night.

And ask in the forums like this for help. Someone will know what to tell you.
  • dosperrosdosperros Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 Copbalt, and the passenger door can't be opened. I looked on the internet and found that NHTSA issued a bulletin #10038344. My car is going in tomorrow for a recall on the "power steering motor" so when I set up the appointment. I told him about the door. They have to "diagnose" it. I told him that it has manual locks and the lock is stuck in the locked position. wha la Diagnosis done!! I asked him how to fix it. I have to let them "take a look" From reading this thread on the forum, I think I'm in for a battle. At what point does an NHTSA bulletin prompt a recall?
  • snoy0502snoy0502 Posts: 2
    GM doesn't care about this issue. They would do some kind of temporary fix while i was still on warranty, and after they told me its 1500 to fix each door. My ac also leaks in the front under the passenger side floor, which they could never find out why (every cobalt owner I know it does it too so watch out for that problem it's crappy) as for the door problem, since GM and Chevy is refusing to recall or at least offer some kind of discount repair, I'll help u all out since I've had the issue since it started. Often when I try to open my door, the doors don't work. It feels like the handles aren't attached to anything. Keep something hard in the car at allll times (like a cup) otherwise if you get in an accident and can't get out ur screwed and Chevy doesn't care. Lock the doors, then unlock.DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING until you take the cup in your hand, and slam it on the lock stick thing near the window. Then unlock and Wah-lah! The people in your car will laugh, and you can get out. I have broken both tips off of my lock sticks, but it's the only way. I've reported it numerous times so as for the fact GM says no reports on it, they're full of [non-permissible content removed]. They just know its an expensive issue to fix all the doors in every cobalt. Apparently they realllllly don't care about our safety. My family too used to bleed GM and Chevy but not anymore. My dad went Nissan and my mom is about to. Grandparents are going Toyota. There's a reason people don't buy American anymore and it's because their vehicles are built solely to make the company money. Oh, and my door handle has fallen out on the outside because of this issue too (the door handles stick on the outside after this problem has been there a while) so I have a one door coupe I like to say. Gna fix it Chevy? Nope. Don't worry tho, like I told u people every time I've called, I will make sure myself and everyone I know will not ever buy a GM, and you doubted me? Well I did, and it's working.
  • cmm10cmm10 Posts: 2
    I'm having the EXACT same problem as is listed in this thread. Has anyone solved this issue? Did GM ever recall the model?

Thanks!
  • cmm10cmm10 Posts: 2
    Hi again,

I was also wondering if anyone has tried to make this problem more public? Its obviously illegal for GM/ Chevy to neglect this issue with their car model, and its alarming that they will put the lives of their customers at risk before spending money on the issue. Has anyone thought of a lawsuit?...
    edited December 2012
    cmm10,

If we can check into this further with you and your dealership, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a brief summary of the situation, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your preferred dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service