Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a new family car - please help me decide

2»

Comments

• jaybee9 the first thing i want to tell you is do you know you just replied to a post that was over 2 years old? look at the date at the top of your post. Second thing is I owned 2 Odyssey's and had trouble with them so what did I do? samething you did and bought an Accord well that was the biggest piece of junk ever. I now own a Fusion and have no issue's :blush:
  • Hi all!

I'm looking into a Honda CR-V to replace my 1990 Ford Taurus - a change, I know, but I could use something a little sportier with the roof rack, etc. But truly I need something reliable and sturdy.

I've found a 2003 CR-V EX at a dealer with about 85k on it, dealer is asking 13k - which I see might be a little bit high.

My question: should I be put off by the higher mileage and look for something else? Should I expect some problems around the 100k mark or can I look forward to many years with this vehicle?

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm looking forward to poking through the forum more!

-NK
  • oops! didn't mean to intrude on the thread, I'm sorry!
  • " I now own a Fusion and have no issue's"

Come back to us 75,000 + miles from now and let us know if your sentiments still hold true... Achieving JD Power initial quality awards is vastly different from long term reliability after a manufacturers warranty expires.

Per Consumer Reports, the two main manufacturers to offer the highest reliability at said point are Honda and Toyota.

In addition, cars with better reliability records tend to hold there value better over time than ones that do not, hence justifying Honda's and some of Toyota's class leading resale value.

Buy a Ford ? I think not.
  • vietviet Posts: 847
    Hi Newkidintown,

Average life of a well-tuned Honda engine is about 200K miles, more or less. If you can afford you can also buy a new Honda CRV. Interest charge is about 2.9% or less now. Pay loan in 36 months to 60 months. Pricings for vehicles including Honda are also pretty much reasonable now.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    oops! didn't mean to intrude on the thread, I'm sorry!

Believe me.... you didn't intrude on anything! Thanks for getting us back on track.

85k isn't really high mileage these days, especially on a Honda.
  • ckcrvckcrv Posts: 7
    Can anyone explain the difference between AWD and a 4 WD in the CRV family. Is the 2002 the first year with that package since it has the distinction of being the 1st year of the 2.4 Motor ?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    Can anyone explain the difference between AWD and a 4 WD in the CRV family. Is the 2002 the first year with that package since it has the distinction of being the 1st year of the 2.4 Motor ?

CR-V does not, or never has had 4WD, it has always been Real Time All Wheel Drive, ever since its introduction on the 1986 Honda Civic Wagon AWD. The system has been improved over the years. It has been made faster and stronger, but the basic principle that you need a speed differential between the front and rear axles to activate is still in use.

Gen 1 CR-V had 127 Hp engine.
    Gen 1.5 CR-V had 146 hp engine.
    Gen 2, and 2.5 had 160 Hp engine, but Gen 2.5 has the newer AWD unit, drive by wire, and Vehicle Stability control, same as Gen 3.
    Gen 3 has 160 hp engine, but the rating system changed, making it 156 hp
    Gen 3.5 has 180 Hp engine.
  • ckcrvckcrv Posts: 7
    Thanks Blue . I appreciate the info. So I do have the same AWD as all the one's that people have mistakenly called 4 wd. Nice to know what it is that you actually own :)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,879
    A reporter seeks to interview someone on how parents factor carpooling into their car choices. Does the parent with the big car unfairly do the most of the driving? Are the five-passenger car parents left out of carpools? Do you ever wish you had something bigger than/smaller than what you have? Does the price of gas or environmental concerns compete with the need for space? Please email pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, July 12, 2011 with your daytime contact information if you care to share your story.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

2»
This discussion has been closed.