Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    IMO, they're about the same. I've purchased or referenced both.

Motor is better, but I don't usually find them in stores. I stumbled across them in the local public library. They don't have the latest editions, but maybe one before. For most of us, that works. :)

Before you buy, check to see if your local public library carries them. You can then compare them side-by-side before you decide which is better for you.
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 545
    at http://protege5.ugly.net/ is a very great "find". Among all the rest, one can find all the recommended engine, body and wheel torques ---- why it's so difficult to find that sort of info on the Internet has always been a mystery to me.
  • civiletticiviletti Posts: 86
    same problem with my '99 es. I think it's an intermittent connection in the display. I replaced my cd receiver with an alpine.
  • civiletticiviletti Posts: 86
    my '99 es lean mixture code was caused by a leaking intake manifold gasket.
  • cityfishercityfisher Posts: 11
    I have a protege 2000 DX. Recently I found the car had s big hesitation during acceleration. Right after I shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear or 2nd to 3rd gear, I feel a big loss of power, the car accelerates very slowly until the speed goes up several MPH, then accelerates much faster. After I shift to a higher gear, this phenomon happens again.
    When I start the car in the morning, everything is fine. After driving several miles. the hesitation starts.
    I searched this forum and found in message 31 and 32, someone were talking about a similar symptom. they cited a "protege 4 thread, post 300". How can I found that post? Please help me. Thanks!
  • mazdaes99mazdaes99 Posts: 1
    How did you fix the problem ? would you mind to share ..

mine is a Mazda Protege 99 with 52K on it ...:) I am getting a strange sound
    (not periodic) between 40-50 miles ..never heard/noticed on high speeds

i had taken it to the dealer and they test drived it for 7 miles but they couldnt reproduce the problem ..:( ..

1)when pumping the gas pedal .
    2)Occurs more on bumps or Turns or UpHill Driving
    3)it goes away anytime I apply brakes.

any thoughts on it ????
  • gew95001gew95001 Posts: 2
    I have a strong feeling that my water pump is going in my 1995 protege. I hear a ringing sound sometimes and have just started smelling burnt coolant. How difficult is it to replace the water pump myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • usnldousnldo Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. It was the disk in the actual steering wheel. It went off on me at 4am when it was 20 degrees outside. The horn needed to be replaced and the dealership did it in less than a day. That was seven years ago and no problem since.
  • mazcarmazcar Posts: 7
    hi all, :D
    the problem of low revs on my 96' pro has almost vanished after i switched to premium grade chevron fuel !!
    i have put in a couple of tank fulls till now & the problem has significantly reduced, though not completely solved.
    i will go ahead and change the plug wires too, will give the feed back then.
    thanks guys,
    amit
  • inselinsel Posts: 2
    Hello All,

I have 01 Protege and the audio system failed second time, and this time it is not under warranty. I wonder if it's a known issue and if I have options.

While not moving and engine was running I inserted a CD and I got no sound. The radio looks like working but no sound, and the CD is stuck there.

The same problem happened two years ago and the dealer changed the whole system. I think it will cost much considering I lost my job two weeks ago.

Do I have other options; fixing, other brands etc?

Thanks,

B.Insel
  • oskwioskwi Posts: 88
    I, too, had the same problem with my '01 ES. The "silence" has only happened once and when I re-started the engine after running an errand, the radio worked fine...odd I thought, but I haven't had any problems since. The problem also occurred when I inserted a CD while the car was stationary.

Good luck with your job search.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    The same problem happened two years ago and the dealer changed the whole system. ... Do I have other options; fixing, other brands etc?

You may want to check chapter 9 in the service manual protege5.ugly.net; there's a lot of diagnostic information in the OBD section (09-02B). Also, I would call the dealer and explain the situation to them.
  • dzecheldzechel Posts: 3
    The solution to your problem is probably the MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR. Mazda Proteges made in certain years up to the year 2000 have had a recall on this part (they sent out a letter to me a couple of years ago which I filed away and forgot about until recently). Why do I think it is this? I had the exact same symptoms (plus had a check engine light indicating something to do with the O2 sensor) and was changing out O2 sensors, spark plugs ...basically wasting my money and time. I then gave up and took it to my Mazda dealer who found the problem right away. They fixed it for free because Mazda added a 7 year/100 000KM extended warranty on the mass air flow sensor. If you don't know where this sensor is, it is the little black module sitting on top of the hose leading to your air filter.
  • dzecheldzechel Posts: 3
    The solution to your problem is probably the MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR. Mazda Proteges made in certain years up to the year 2000 have had a recall on this part (they sent out a letter to me a couple of years ago which I filed away and forgot about until recently). Why do I think it is this? I had the exact same symptoms (plus had a check engine light indicating something to do with the O2 sensor) and was changing out O2 sensors, spark plugs ...basically wasting my money and time. I then gave up and took it to my Mazda dealer who found the problem right away. They fixed it for free because Mazda added a 7 year/100 000KM extended warranty on the mass air flow sensor. If you don't know where this sensor is, it is the little black module sitting on top of the hose leading to your air filter.
  • phil_tr8phil_tr8 Posts: 1
    Hi, I am interrested in buying a Protege 5 and I'd like to know where I should look for possible problem: brakes, engine, trans. air, electrical ? . What are the usual or not so usual problems with this car? Should I get a 2002 or 2003?
    Thanks, Phil
  • lizzlizz Posts: 1
    My 2000 Protege with 32,000 KM just had the radiator replaced due to a leak on the bottom tank (made of plastic now apparantly). The Mazda dealership didn't offer any compensation & Mazda Canada was the same - out of warranty - out of luck. I would have expected that a radiator wouldn't need to be replaced at this stage in the game. The car is active despite the low mileage (city & highway). Does anyone know the average operating life of a 2000 Protege radiator?(e.g. # miles or # years = rad should be replaced). Anyone else had to replace the rad under similar circumstances & get compensated? Tips welcome!
  • compensatecompensate Posts: 212
    Sounds like the water pump might be the issue with the info you described (whining sound is likely worn water pump bearings).

If the 95 Protege is like our 99 Protege, the water pump is a SERIOUS replacement job, since it lives under the timing belt. I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself as you may mess up your timing and cause engine damage.
  • compensatecompensate Posts: 212
    That link for the 2002 Protege Repir Manual is great!

Is there such a link for the 1999 Protege anywhere? If not, will this 2002 manual be applicable to our 1999 Protege for the most part?

And what is the difference between the "FS" and "ZM" vehicles? There are different sections for each of the types (of engines?)?

Thanks!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Phil, you might want to try the Protege5 discussion.

Meade
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Five years does seem premature to me for a radiator to rust out; the radiator on my previous car (Toyota Corolla) lasted 10 years and was inexpensive to replace. Perhaps I was lucky and 10 years is exceptional. It would be surprising if your dealer covered an item beyond the stated warranty period. How much did the repair cost you?

With 32K km (roughly 20K miles) your 2000 Protege does not appear to be driven frequently. Does that mean that it sits most of the time in a garage or that you simply drive a few kilometres per day? Did you follow the prescribed coolant replacement schedule? I have not seen the radiator on this vintage of Protege, but I would be surprised if it was made of plastic; perhaps this is a reference to the fan or maybe some housing holding the radiator. Is your car showing signs of rust in other places?

As one mechanic once opined, "one of the worst things you can do to a car is not drive it."