Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    bought a used 2000 Mazda Protege with 78 K ... we had a mechanic check it ... who said it was in perfect condition ... there is a scraping sound coming from the engine with acceleration between 0 and 80 km/h.

Is that 78K km (50K miles) or 78K miles?
    Is it a manual or automatic?
    Did you mention this problem to the mechanic who assured you that it was in perfect condition?
  • 78 K (Km)

It's automatic, and it didn't have this sound at the time it was looked at by the mechanic. I don't know the mechanic that did it. The car was at a non-Mazda delearship, so we took it to a Mazda dealership nearby for a check up before buying it. Should I take it back to them? There's no warrenty for such check-ups though...so I don't think they will be able to do anything.
    ... we took it to a Mazda dealership nearby for a check up before buying it. Should I take it back to them? There's no warrenty for such check-ups though...so I don't think they will be able to do anything.

I would ask your dealership: "When I brought my car in two weeks ago you checked it and said there's no problem. How do you explain the scraping sound?" Normally, dealers are reasonable especially if they see you as a potential customer. Let them know that you were hoping to use their services in the future.

p.s. Congratulations on the car, you should get years of great rides out of it!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    ... but not even a 30-day warranty?

Meade
  • Hi,

I own a 2000 Mazda Protege SE, and me being a poor university student I can't quite afford a trip to the mechanic with every little problem (especially with these insane insurance and gas prices). Recently my centre break light burned out, and I want to replace it (I've done bulb replacement, and other mods before) simply because I don't want to pay $15 to a mechanic for a 30 second job. However the solution to removing the bulb from its housing simply eludes me. If anyone can help me, it'll be greatly appreciated.
  • I am having problems with the keyless entry (central locking) mechanism on my Mazda Protege LX 1999. The central switch on the driver's door panel and the remote works once in a while when used after 5-10 minutes then fades off (think of how things work when the juice is running out from a battery, there is a sudden spike and then nothing).

Also, whenever the door panels switch works, it does not operate all four doors. Works pretty randomly. Sometimes opens/closes 2 doors some all 4.

I checked and changed the battery on the remote. Did not help. The dealer is asking $100.00 to diagnose the problem.

Does anybody have any experience with this?
  • I have a 1999 mazda protege that i bought brand new.Recently ,when i drive for a long time the passenger side carpets are soaked with water.The windshield has never been replaced. Im guessing its something with the a/c.If anyone has a solution it be much appreciated.

can someone please help me! :(
  • I have a 1999 mazda protege that i bought brand new.Recently ,when i drive for a long time the passenger side carpets are soaked with water.The windshield has never been replaced. Im guessing its something with the a/c.If anyone has a solution it be much appreciated.

• I have a 1999 mazda protege that i purchased brand new.Recently when i drive for a distance 50 miles+ the passenger side carpet are soaked.It does not happen all the time but when it does it is a lot of water.The windshield has never been replaced.Im thinking it's something with the A/C.

If anyone has had this problem, and how to fix, it would be greatly appreciated :(
    mrpig,

It's pretty straightforward. Just pop the housing cover off (pry it up gently with a flat-bladed screwdriver), then twist the little bulb assembly out of the lens counter-clockwise. The bulb, if I remember correctly, is a press-in/pull-out type.

Meade
    Good Lord!
    Good Lord!
    Good Lord!
    Good Lord!
    Good Lord!

:sick:

Ya only gotta hit "post my message" once!

Anyway ... yes, it does have something to do with your air conditioning. The drain line from inside the car, which exits through the firewall to "drip" outside, has gotten clogged. Get under your dash on the passenger side, find the little tube, find where it connects up under the dash, pull it off and blow it out. Good as new.

Meade
  • Thanks abunch, that saved me at least 20 bucks of just going to the mechanic ^_^
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Sorry about the repeated post's still a newbie to this.But thanks-a-bunch:)
  • Is there a manual online for a 1998 Mazda protege ES (1.8)?

Thanks, Greg
  • I have a 98 ES and have had acceleration problems and replaced every ignition component. The O/D light will flash on and off and the car will accelerate and decelerate. If I pull over it stops. I also have idle problems, and a popping sound in the front end. No mechanic can fix these yet.
    That's for the '01. He's looking for a '98 manual. Depending on what he needs it for, the '01 manual may not be applicable.

Meade
    Yes, I know, Meade, but I figured it's a good place to start. An alternative is the printed Haynes/Chilton manuals.

p.s. how's Ophelia affecting your neck of the woods?