Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Man, I wish she'd leave. We haven't gotten much rain here (maybe a half an inch total -- we're about 100 miles inland), but it's been very cloudy, very warm and VERY HUMID the past few days. You can't see out of any of the windows in our house -- they're like sweaty soda bottles -- and walking outside is like walking into a sauna. Gotta love that tropical air.

My younger brother lives down in Chesapeake -- about five miles from the ocean -- and he's been battered by on-again off-again rain, wind and just basically miserable weather the past few days. But the storm hasn't come very close to Virginia -- mainly the Outer Banks of NC. She's pretty small and weak for a hurricane/tropical storm too -- it's her slow pace that's made her a mess because of all the rain she's dumped on NC.

What I don't want to see is another Isabel like in September '03. That monster was twice the size of Ophelia and came grinding ashore as a Cat 3, and took a track right across Central VA -- in fact the remains of the eyewall came right over my neighborhood. We were lucky; we were the only house on our block that didn't have at least one tree fall on it that night. We lost power for more than a week, and for the first time in my memory we also lost telephone and water service. Richmond was a mess. Despite the lack of tree damage, I will never forget the sound of the wind as Isabel moved through that night. We had gusts upward of 80 mph that shook the house and roared outside -- it made you feel really, really small and insignificant in the world, lemme tell ya! I've lived here basically all my life, and Isabel was the first hurricane in my 40-year memory that was still a hurricane that far inland.

To give this post some semblance of Protege-ness, I will say that I moved both of our Mazdas (at that time my Protege ES and my wife's Protege5) out into the street, away from potential limb damage, etc., during Isabel. It was interesting looking out the front windows at them during the height of the storm. The rain was pelting them sideways, and my car looked just like a test car in a wind tunnel -- I could see the rain going up the hood and windshield and swooping over the roof and down behind the car. And I've never seen bugs cleaned off a bumper so well without any scrubbing! If we have another Isabel, remind me to soap the car up before the rain starts.

:P

Meade
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    And I've never seen bugs cleaned off a bumper so well without any scrubbing! If we have another Isabel, remind me to soap the car up before the rain starts.

We can always count on you to find an angle. Good to hear you and yours are safe and sound.

p.s. believe it or not, some of that hot humid weather has crept all the way north into Canada; it's like an extended summer some days; that'll teach me to pack up the shorts too soon.
    We can always count on you to find an angle.

Thank you, my liege!

I was a newspaper reporter, you know. :shades:

Meade
  • I let my ex drive my car and damn if she didn't blow it up. Now the mechanic told her she would have to buy a new engine and they would put it in for 700 but i don't trust him. She said that it overheated then there was a loud pop and white smoke started coming out of the tailpipe. It tries to turn over but i don't know what is exactly wrong with it I was told it could be something to do with the head gasket by another person. it's a mazda 323 protege with the 5 spd manual transmission. :sick:
  • that sentence was supposed to read: "it overheated and then I immediately shut off the car"....

too bad.....so what's $700---labor to install used engine or $700 for head gasket repair? $700 isn't going to buy you a new or used engine.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    "Now the mechanic told her she would have to buy a new engine and they would put it in for 700 but i don't trust him."

Did you consider getting a second opinion from other than the internet?
  • hey bob- i have a 2000 mazda protege and the exact same thing is happening to my car and I would really appreiciate if you could help me by letting me know what it was that fixed your car.... thanks so much- kendra
  • I own a 2000 Protege Lx with 56,000 KM.
    Just lately when I start my car i here a whistling sound and when I step on
    the gas i hear like a purring sound. Also there is some kinda smell. Just
    totally baffled.

pro2000
    A wild guess: check your belts.
  • Just the other day my battery died on me. Bought a new battery. The noise it still there. But I think the alternator is shot. When I rev the engine I hear the sound and smell something from the alternator. How can this be possible with only 56,000 kms on my car? I thought an :cry: :cry: alternator can last for like 7 years.
    hmmmmmm....
    You certain it's the alternator that's smelling funky?

Sure, an alternator can last 7 years. They also can last 7 days. These are electromechanical parts. I've had them go more than 100,000 miles (in my Mazda pickup), and I've been through three in 100,000 miles (in my Hyundai Excel). Like an old chicken commercial used to say, Parts is Parts!

Meade
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,095
    My wife has a 2000 Protege ES automatic that just hit the 69,000 mile mark today. I noticed a few things weren't right with her car.

At speeds of 70 mph+, the steering wheel starts to shimmy a little bit. Maybe there is a tire out of balance? The car tracks straight on the highway though.

When the car is stopped and in either R or D, I hear a squealing noise (it shakes too) coming from the front of the car.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• pete22pete22 Posts: 80
    Don't know the problem. I have a 2000 protege with the same problem and am being it to the dealer in a week and 1/2. Let you know then. An electronic place I spoke to on the phone said it's probably the mechanism in one of the doors that controls the power doors (forgot the name he said), he said if only one goes bad it screws up the whole mechanism. Going to Mazda since they will tell me the problem for 45 dollars and apply it to the repair if I do it, the electric place wanted 70. I did call the parts department and was quoted 91 dollars for the part but I think the labor involves taking the door apart and is pricy. Will let you know.
    Maybe there is a tire out of balance? The car tracks straight on the highway though.
    Are your tires properly inflated? Any strange wear patterns on them?

When the car is stopped and in either R or D, I hear a squealing noise (it shakes too) coming from the front of the car.
    If the squeal happens while you're in Park or Neutral then I suspect its something other than your wheels.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,095
    Tires are properly inflated. No strange wear aptterns that I can see.

The squeal happens when the car is in D or R. I don't think it has anything to do with the wheels either.

Thanks.

I'm going to take it in sometime this week.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• I have a 2002 Protege ES 2.0 auto, 72,000 miles. The problem is sometimes from a stop it will rev high and slowly gain speed, just driving down the road it sometimes acts like its running out of gas it will sputter and jerk and barely move and die, It seems to do it when it warms up, but sometimes it can drive for an hour and be fine. It died in the middle of a highway intersection, could have killed me! I took it to an import mechanic and he replaced the fuel pump, plugs, wires, air filter and cleaned the injectors (&wasted alot of money) and said he couldnt fix it. I am about to burn it and collect insurance and buy a $3 KIA! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP! :mad:
    Manual or auto trans?
    His post says "auto."

I was going to suggest plug wires until I read that the previous mechanic covered that -- just make sure he really did change them, OK? That's what it sounds like to me.

Have you tried taking the car to a Mazda dealership's service department? If anyone knows the car, Mazda should!

Meade
    "sometimes from a stop it will rev high and slowly gain speed"

About the only thing I know of which will cause that is the auto trans slipping.
  • I have a 98 Protege LX, 78,000 miles. When I go over certain bumps, there is a scary rattle coming from the exhaust pipe area or possibly the trunk area. I think it is a loose exhaust...could this be a common problem? Is there an easy fix?