Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    Q: What causes engine knock, and how can I prevent it?

A: Several factors can contribute to, or result in, engine knock. These factors include outdoor temperature extremes, altitude, humidity, operating under heavy engine loads, time elapsed between routine tune-ups, vehicle age, and manufacturing and engineering tolerances. The most common cause of engine knock is improper tuning of the engine, where the engine timing has deviated from the manufacturer's design specifications. This problem is easily resolved through proper routine maintenance and tune-ups.

As a vehicle's engine ages, the octane required to prevent knock may increase. This condition is referred to as Octane Requirement Increase, or ORI, and is the result of normal engine wear. In instances where you experience occasional or moderate knocking, your first line of defense is to try a higher octane gasoline to accommodate this Octane Requirement Increase of your engine. Severe knocking, which cannot be remedied by using a higher octane grade of gasoline, demands your authorized mechanic's attention.

http://www.citgo.com/Products/QuestionsAnswers.jsp

How do I know which grade of gasoline to buy?

The octane level recommended by your vehicle's manufacturer is a good starting point. But, price, driving habits and personal preference also are important. And so are individual vehicle characteristics.

>>For example, research shows that cars the same age with identical engines have different octane requirements, probably due to manufacturing tolerances. <<<<

The best advice is: try different gasolines, observe how they perform in your car, and pick the one that meets your needs.

http://www.api.org/consumer/

• theparallaxtheparallax Posts: 361
    I filled my car up w/ Chevron 93 octane gas last night. Wow, what a big difference. No pinging at all. The engine actually sounds great again when I open it up all the way.

I wonder if the car needs to be tuned up... (Only has 36K on it though)
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Posts: 47
    Hi,
    I have a 96 Protege with a 1.5L thing... been a good one so far (115K miles and still going strong). However, it does ping during hard acceleration unless I use 93 octane gas. The pinging is temperature-dependent: I can switch back to regular when it is below 50-60. Replaced plugs - same thing, it just keeps pinging.
    Oddly enough, I suggested a friend of mine to purchase a used 1998 LX, and that thing was pinging during the test drive just like mine. I believe this is an issue with many proteges. And I suspect this is precisely the reason why Mazda techs do not acknowledge the pinging sometimes - they are aware of the issue but do not have a solution... Otherwise Protege is a great car... that requires the premium gas.
    I've only heard of complains from the owners of the 1.6 and 1.5 liter engines though. I have a 1999 LX. Apparently it's a common 'problem' (if you call it that) w/ these engines.
  • kaiserheadkaiserhead Posts: 166
    There's a general recall on the mass airflow sensor for 1999-2000 1.6L Proteges.

SSP056 FEB 02 Campaign - Mass Airflow Sensor Warranty Extension

Does anyone have a copy of this recall or know how we can get more information from Mazda? I'm wondering if it will lead to some info our mysterious engine knock.
  • puranikpuranik Posts: 5
    In reply to your query to consolidate the problem, here are my inputs:

1. The problem is very clear. When I step on Gas from Idle or low accelaration with 87 Octane Gas, the engine pings.
    2. The problem disappears with 93 Octane fuel.

I believe the more you try to explain the problem to the service technicians, the more confused they get (or pretend to).

Regarding your mail about the Mass Airflow Sensor Warranty Extension Program, I did receive a snail mail from them. I am printing whatever is printing in the document. They did not mention about the ping as a symptom:

Quote Mazda
    " Vehicles with Mass Airflow Sensor malfunction may exhibit any of the following symptoms: illumination of Check Engine Light, lack of power, hesitation, unstable idle. Should a symptom occur, please make an appointment with your Mazda dealer to have your vehicle diagnosed. If the malfunction is due to the failure of the Mass Airlow Sensor during the terms of this Warranty extension, it will be reparied free of charge. Failure of the Mass Airflow Sensor will not cause the failure of any other components. However, other components can cause these symptoms and are not covered under this extended warranty. This extension ONLY covers the Mass Airflow Sensor"
  • kaiserheadkaiserhead Posts: 166
    Thanks for the text, did they send out a mass mailing to all owners with that engine and year or did they only send it to people who may have reported problems with the car?
  • neesieneesie Posts: 13
    Okay, after many trips to the dealer about my 99 Mazda Protege noise (ping, grinding what ever the noise is called) with no resolution, is it safe to drive the vehicle 2000 miles over a period of 4 days of should I get a rental? I am concerned!
  • OK--wrote soemthing about this earlier--just can't find my post-I have 99 dx-with the pinging problems. Took to dealer to have them chk it out. After paying 125.00 to have injectors and plugs changed--was told that would solve the proble. Was told to run a tank of hi test through it and then after that regular gas. Did that--now back to normal. The car never seems to idle smooth--only 37550 miles on it...always seems to have rought idle u feel through the steering wheel and seats--not alot--but enough to notice.What nest?? They tell me if u run hi test through it all the time--it can mess up the computer and catalitic converter. Oh and for Fairbanks Mazda--if u go--take a condom--cause your gonna get screwed!!!!!!
    I've had that pinging noise ever since I could remember. It won't damage anything as far as I know, it's just annoying!
  • jneipertjneipert Posts: 2
    The problem is that the piece of metal that covers the hole where you would insert your key is bent into the hole, not allowing the key to go in. It has now happened to all of my locks. I have a family member who also bought a Protege, and we bought our cars from different dealerships in different states, and she is now also having the same problem.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    I know the original plastic ones on my '99 were a problem. The one in the driver door broke and jammed the lock cylinder. They replaced it and the one on the passenger side (without waiting for it to fail first) with the ones with the metal flap. No problems since.

To avoid this, you might want to lubricate the lock mechanism every now and then. A silicone spray does well.

If you bring it to the service dept's attention, I think it's covered under warranty. Mine were.
  • mbs7mbs7 Posts: 28
    I've read that prolonged pinging can damage your engine. A pinging engine is one that is not running as designed, which can't be good for engine life.

As for replacing the MAF sensor. I've had this done and yet my engine pings. It *seemed* like the pinging was less right after the replacement, but now (6 months later) it is as bad as ever.

I think I'm going to put 92 octane in my car today and see if the pinging completely disappears.
  • tbaytbay Posts: 22
    .....happened to our '99 Protege as well
    next week, 'cause whenever the temp. goes above 70F, and I turn the wheel to the right, it makes a swishing/squishing/hissing sound all the way to the end.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    New power steering pump? New rack? What?

Meade
    it's a new rack (& maybe the pinion too)
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I had to replace the rack on a 1980 Saab in 1986 -- but that's the only time I've experienced a problem like that, and the car had 80,000 miles on it. (I bought it used at 60,000 miles and learned later that it had been abused by a doctor's son. Do you do a lot of hard driving?)

Funny -- are we the only two people on the Protege discussions today? Sure feels like it.

Meade