Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    also groans in cold weather.
    same fix?

thanks rotary.
  • works the same for fronts as well. I had this happening on my mpv as well, so it's not exclusive to proteges.
  • What about my problem? Any ideas?
    so I sneak up my hand between the wheel and the fender and spray some oil .... could u explain in a little more detail?

thanks.
  • sneak your fingers through the spring and pull down the plastic boot. spray on top of the boot.
  • there is a top secret bulletin on a "click" or "pop" noise coming from the front mount on accel. doesnt refer a noise while engaging into gear from nuetral. It is repair info and not a TSB. Your noise is something I would have to hear myself.
  • Not to sound stupid, but what is a "top secret bulletin" and do you mean from like a motor mount?
  • there is a repair procedure/information notice on the dealer-only online website. It is not a bulletin that is issued publicly. It refers to the front trans mount that is located on the crossmember to the front of the trans. It has a damper built into it that apparently has some problems. I personally have not seen a faulty one. This leads me to believe that the problem is not very common.
  • Not to sound stupid, but what is a "top secret bulletin" and do you mean from like a motor mount?
  • Bought a new (dealer drove 1000mi) LX at good price. Noticing a clicking sound when you accelerate or break. Is this a problem. Also, the ride seems a bit bumpy and bouncy- yet I am used to a high off the road vehicle. Could be my imagination- but am a little concerned. Other than that the seats are comfy and the interior nice and roomy. Just wondering if I got a bad car?
  • mas8mas8 Posts: 1
    I'm being offered a good price on a 2003 Protege
    leftover. What's this about Ford transmissions and high rates of failure? The dealer assures me there are no Ford parts in the Mazda. (I hate Fords - had a 92 Taurus and it was worthless and wouldn't run anymore at 99,000 miles). Also, leaking gaskets? I don't know folks. I'm having
    serious second thoughts and may pay the extra 2k
    for the 04 Corrolla.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Have been great! There's been issues with the 1.6L engine but the 2.0 is solid.

Check the main sedans board. No problems in 67K kms on mine.

Dinu
  • it is not a ford trans in the new pro. however, I have seen atleast 4 trannys go in the last 2 months or so. these were in 2001-2003's.
    under the boots, but it still creaks over the bumps (front and rear). I also saw that the boots have come into 2 pieces on the front suspension.

Would this be covered under the Mazda Ext warranty(TotalCare)?
  • I would try lubing the sway bar ends as well
  • My brother sent me this email today (he has a 2000 ES, 1.8L), any thoughts?

When I got off the highway today, I was waiting to turn and the Protege was idling extremely rough.  When I got home, whenever the car is idling, the engine is shaking excessively, enough to feel a back and fourth shaking in the car.  Do you know what this may be?  Have you heard anything about 2000 Protege's and this problem?
  • How many miles on the spark plug wires?
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Check the air intake ducting between the airflow sensor and the throttle body for any cracks or other damage that would allow unmetered air into the engine.
  • I have found a few pro's with sticky egr valves. Many times the problem does not turn on the check engine light. the valve is opened normally while cruising on highway or around town, but is supposed to close at idle and accel. I have been able to knock on the valve while engine is stumbling at idle and have it go back to normal. Most of these cases are under warranty, so the part was replaced as opposed to any kind of attempt to clean the valve.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    ...just want to give everyone a heads up about some changes taking place in an effort to organize and make it easier for members to find the most appropriate discussion for their question/comment.

This discussion's title will soon change to "Mazda Protege Owners: Problems & Solutions" and it will reside in the Mazda Protege Owners Club. However, it will also still be here in M&R. If you are subscribed to this topic now, the change should not affect that.

If you have any questions/concerns, please address them to me in email, karen@edmunds.com.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I think the Protege has about 92,000kms with original plugs and wires. Its in the shop today so we should know what the problem is soon.

We drove an '87 626 170,000kms on the original plugs and wires so hopefully the Protege can live up that record!!
    "We drove an '87 626 170,000kms on the original plugs and wires so hopefully the Protege can live up that record!!"

You shouldn't do that. Preventive maintenance (aka: obsessing over your car) is worth it IMO if you want to keep your car in good shape.

Dinu
  • You're exactly right, but the person responsible for maintenance was a firm believer in the "squeaky wheel" method of car maintenance. We found out that approach doesn't work when we tried a couple domestic cars.

Now I know I'm going to take some heat for this, but I think the pre-1990s Mazdas were a lot better than the current ones in terms of overall reliability. We had an '82 and a '87 626 that ran flawlessly for well over 10 years each (the '87 was even "abused" by lack of proper maintenance.) Our two 2000 Proteges have not held up as well in the first three years of ownership, Mazda has been good about changing defective parts, but we still have non-wear and tear related failures that end up being out of pocket expenses (i.e. throttle sensor, oxygen sensor, rusting steel wheels) These were not problems with the earlier models, I realise that the cars have advanced technologically over the years, but this should not overshadow overall reliability.

Although these problems bother me, I would still buy another Mazda. It just changes my perception that these cars can go "the long haul" like their predecessors did.

I'm looking forward to my Mazda3 ES.
    There's a perception that late 80s Japanese cars were unbreakable, especially whren you considered what came out of Detroit. Not that Detroit now makes the greatest cars on Earth, but they have improved and so has everyone else.

I think today's cars need to be more babied than the ones from the late 80s partially b/c of all electronics (sensors, power acessories, etc) and the reliance on the ECU to make decisions about how the car runs...

And yes, I can't wait to get my Mazda3 GS. The GT will be the replacement for the ES.

Dinu
  • Some things can be ignored, some cannot. the pro engine, at least my "99es has plugs that lie deep in the valve covers. That bakes the plugwires every time the engine warms up. Baked wires tend to short out.

On the other hand, if you use platinum plugs, they can last a very long time.

The egr can plug up, especially if you run high octane fuel and don't use a cleaner [like techron] regularly.

Every auto has peculiarities you can learn. I kept my last car ["79 colt] 20 years and knew what it needed and didn't. It ran like a champ [a pun].
  • The shop found out that the fuel injector in the number 3 cylinder was bad causing all the injectors to work improperly. About $125CDN to fix.
    Would you say that getting an extended warranty 7yrs/160.000kms for roughly $1000-1200 is worth it, based on your repair history?

Dinu
  • jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    I have noticed my 2003 LX needing 3-4 cranks in morning in cold (and it's not that cold yet) temperature. The service guy at the dealer says it is normal during winter. Is this true? I never had this problem with Civic.
    Same here. Usually 2 cranks, 3 when it's really cold. Always started.

Dinu