Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    The oil change should not have resulted in those changes in your Protege, unless the level is really off (way too low or way too high). I'd check to see if any vacuum hoses may have come loose (one that fed into the EGR valve body came loose on mine and it caused very rough idle and a loss of power...I clamped it on with a nylon cable tie). I'd also check the air intake and make sure everything is screwed together. I'd also check the spark plug wires to make sure they're well-connected and haven't broken down (check impedance....I think anything under 6000 ohms is OK....new ones measure around 2000 ohms).
  • gregorigregori Posts: 2
    In an earlier post, jrdwyer makes reference to a link to the Protege5 Shop Manual, but I haven't been able to locate it. Just got my Protege5 last night, and would like to get all the info I need to keep it in top shape. TIA for your help...
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 545
    Go to http://protege5.ugly.net/

Scroll down page and download each file, starting with 00-00, 01-02a, etc.

After all 87 files are on your hard drive, open the 00 INDEX file to find where a subject of interest can be found

And, best of all, it's free
  • gregorigregori Posts: 2
    Great - thanks a bunch...
  • joeycjoeyc Posts: 1
    Hey I just got a 1992 DX auto and it just started flashing the hold light. Could some one please tell me what the hold light means and if i should keep driving the car. thanks a million

JoeyC
  • alicia3alicia3 Posts: 2
    I am having problems getting my 97 Mazda Protege to pass the Vehicle Emissions Testing. At first, my check engine light was on, and it read my catalyst emissions were high (or something like that) I took it to a mechanic and they told me they could not find anything wrong. So now, my check engine light is off, but the VET says they cannot get a reading from my OBD because my computer is not communicating. Is this a serious problem. I have been back and forth and here and there trying to figure out what is wrong - My car runs absolutely perfect!! We have tuned it up, changed the oil, checked the idle, everything is okay, but my computer is not communicating - Could it be a fuse? :confuse:
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    I believe I read somewhere on this forum that one can go to an Autozone or Pepboys shop and ask them to check your OBD for free. I'd call ahead to see if that's true where you live. Failing that, I would consider calling a Mazda dealer; you would think that a Mazda mechanic would know the answer.
  • alicia3alicia3 Posts: 2
    Yes it is true of Auto Zone because when my computer did work my engine light was on - but now that my computer isnt communicating, even auto zone cannot tell me because it will not bring it up on their machine. I hope I do not have to replace the computer, I would buy a new car before I do that, which is something I would rather not do! Just trying to get some clues here!
    It's on automatic transmission equipped Proteges that offer the "Hold" function. It's meant to keep the transmission engaged in the gear it's currently in when you activate the "Hold" function (with some restrictions).

If the light is switching itself on intermittently, it could be a bad connection that's causing it to activate. You don't notice the transmission delaying shifting into different gears, do you?
  • Look on the shaft of your gear shift lever. There is a button labeled "hold".
    You have accidentally punched this button. The purpose of "hold" is to prevent the automatic transmission from shifting into the highest gear. You might want to use this feature if you are coasting down a long decline to use engine braking to save brake wear.
  • It could be that your catalytic converter has been damaged by something such as too much unburned fuel got into it. If it is not working right you may be failing the emissions test even though your car runs fine.
  • There's a couple of other components in the iginition system you need to check: Coil, igniter, and distributor. I am not sure whether you have a separate igniter. At some point they moved it to the pcm.
  • My 2002 Protege (78k miles) sat for a little over a week while I went out of town. Got back, started up the car and the idle was very rough with the check engine light on. I get it checked out and the code points to the EGR valve.
    Would the valve just need a cleaning? If so, what cleaner is good for this? From reading the forums, the procedure to clean the valve does not sound too difficult.
    Has anyone had to replace this valve on the 02 Protege? If so, how much did this cost and did you have to go to the dealer for replacement?
    By the way, a big thanks to alternator for providing a 2002 Protege Workshop Manual. This will defiantly come in handy!
    Thanks everyone and I look forward to your responses.
  • I have a 1992 Mazda Protege and I just had the transmission rebuilt for the second time at 238,000 miles. For the most part it works great other than the fact that it shifts hard or clunks out of 2nd gear. Once out of 2nd gear everything is fine. Our mechanic is baffled. He rebuilt the transmission at 80,000 miles and we never had any problems. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this.

Thank you,
    Cobbster
  • cbrb4cbrb4 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem- frozen AC on 95 Protege with a broken belt. What size(lenth in inches) belt did you use? thanks for your help.
  • I have a 98 Protege LX w/ 118K miles. I let my sister take the vehicle off to college, and she has brought it back with some problems. While Idling, the car will begin to vibrate, and then seem as if it is lurching foward. It only happens while in gear, and stops if I place it in park or neutral. Any clues?
    I just had the transmission rebuilt for the second time at 238,000 miles ... rebuilt the transmission at 80,000 miles

A transmission expert was commenting on an autoshow this evening that the "transmission on the average modern car is engineered to last about 150,000 miles". It sounds like your rebuilt transmission worked up to spec. :)
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Posts: 103
    Hi, I have a 2001 LX 2.0 w/ 52,400 mi. on it. Several months ago,every once in a while while driving and slightly accelerating, I can feel the car get "stuck" then all of a sudden it'll rev up and jerk. Now, along w/ that, it seems that I have to accelerate more for it to go, especially going up inclines (even slight ones) but also regular roads too. Even if i'm stepping on the gas, the engine will not be not reving any extra and, the car is accelerates so slowly to get up to the speed I want (like trying to get up to 45 mi. from a stoplight) and I will have the pedal to the floor. *(By the way, i'm not a speed demon and flooring it everytime I drive!) What can be causing this?
    There could be a few things, but if I had to guess it may be your throttle body being clogged up ... one way to find out is by having a diagnostic test done.
  • woddywoddy Posts: 12
    I just bought a used 2002 Protege5. Its beautiful and I love it, but it has developed a worrisome problem: The shifter is a bit stiff. As I drive, it gets progressively more and more difficult to shift from any gear into another. At first, I thought it just had a "tight" gearbox - more of a "characteristic" than a "problem". But after driving around town for a while, the gearbox gets so stiff that it is clear to me that something is wrong. Any thoughts?
  • chump2chump2 Posts: 8
    we have a 2001 protege es 2.0 over last few months we have notice oil consumption is up a quart ever 2000 miles , it is not leaking and the car is running fine ?
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Automatic or manual?

Meade
    Sounds like your rings may be worn, but 1qt/1000 miles is within most manufacturer's specifications, so you likely won't get any recourse there. When you accelerate hard, does the exhaust smell a bit oily or look a bit bluish? If so, that's the source of your leak.
  • chump2chump2 Posts: 8
    i will check the exhaust out this week end the car is away till then .
    thank you mazdafun
    can you tell me how to clean the throttle body ?
    Sorry, automatic.
    Thanks for the input..., I will mention when I take the car in for my oil change. Just hoping its not going to be something that will cost alot to repair!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Hate to say it, but it sounds like you've got transmission problems. Being that close to your warranty's expiration, I'd go in ready to fight! DId this just start, or has it been going on for some time? I ask because if you had the problem documented with your dealership's service department prior to your warranty's expiration, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Meade
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    can you tell me how to clean the throttle body ?

Remove the air intake ducting, hve someone hold the throttle wide open, spray in a liberal amount of air intake cleaner (NOT carb cleaner), scrub the bejeepers out of the bore and throttle plate including the backside of the plate with an old toothbrush, use clean wipers to clean up the residue. Done.
  • 4sfed4sfed Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if there is a seperate voltage regulator and or a relay that can be replaced in addition to the alternator? I replaced the alt and batt last year and the charge lite is back on after only 4 months. If the lite is "off" the voltage is good. If the lite is "on" and I disconnect the battery, it dies immediately.
    Thank you for the help! :)