Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    bought a used 2000 Mazda Protege with 78 K ... we had a mechanic check it ... who said it was in perfect condition ... there is a scraping sound coming from the engine with acceleration between 0 and 80 km/h.

Is that 78K km (50K miles) or 78K miles?
    Is it a manual or automatic?
    Did you mention this problem to the mechanic who assured you that it was in perfect condition?
  • 78 K (Km)

It's automatic, and it didn't have this sound at the time it was looked at by the mechanic. I don't know the mechanic that did it. The car was at a non-Mazda delearship, so we took it to a Mazda dealership nearby for a check up before buying it. Should I take it back to them? There's no warrenty for such check-ups though...so I don't think they will be able to do anything.
    ... we took it to a Mazda dealership nearby for a check up before buying it. Should I take it back to them? There's no warrenty for such check-ups though...so I don't think they will be able to do anything.

I would ask your dealership: "When I brought my car in two weeks ago you checked it and said there's no problem. How do you explain the scraping sound?" Normally, dealers are reasonable especially if they see you as a potential customer. Let them know that you were hoping to use their services in the future.

p.s. Congratulations on the car, you should get years of great rides out of it!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    ... but not even a 30-day warranty?

Meade
  • Hi,

I own a 2000 Mazda Protege SE, and me being a poor university student I can't quite afford a trip to the mechanic with every little problem (especially with these insane insurance and gas prices). Recently my centre break light burned out, and I want to replace it (I've done bulb replacement, and other mods before) simply because I don't want to pay $15 to a mechanic for a 30 second job. However the solution to removing the bulb from its housing simply eludes me. If anyone can help me, it'll be greatly appreciated.
  • I am having problems with the keyless entry (central locking) mechanism on my Mazda Protege LX 1999. The central switch on the driver's door panel and the remote works once in a while when used after 5-10 minutes then fades off (think of how things work when the juice is running out from a battery, there is a sudden spike and then nothing).

Also, whenever the door panels switch works, it does not operate all four doors. Works pretty randomly. Sometimes opens/closes 2 doors some all 4.

I checked and changed the battery on the remote. Did not help. The dealer is asking $100.00 to diagnose the problem.

Does anybody have any experience with this?
  • I have a 1999 mazda protege that i bought brand new.Recently ,when i drive for a long time the passenger side carpets are soaked with water.The windshield has never been replaced. Im guessing its something with the a/c.If anyone has a solution it be much appreciated.

can someone please help me! :(
  • I have a 1999 mazda protege that i bought brand new.Recently ,when i drive for a long time the passenger side carpets are soaked with water.The windshield has never been replaced. Im guessing its something with the a/c.If anyone has a solution it be much appreciated.

• I have a 1999 mazda protege that i purchased brand new.Recently when i drive for a distance 50 miles+ the passenger side carpet are soaked.It does not happen all the time but when it does it is a lot of water.The windshield has never been replaced.Im thinking it's something with the A/C.

If anyone has had this problem, and how to fix, it would be greatly appreciated :(
    mrpig,

It's pretty straightforward. Just pop the housing cover off (pry it up gently with a flat-bladed screwdriver), then twist the little bulb assembly out of the lens counter-clockwise. The bulb, if I remember correctly, is a press-in/pull-out type.

Meade
    Good Lord!
    Good Lord!
    Good Lord!
    Good Lord!
    Good Lord!

:sick:

Ya only gotta hit "post my message" once!

Anyway ... yes, it does have something to do with your air conditioning. The drain line from inside the car, which exits through the firewall to "drip" outside, has gotten clogged. Get under your dash on the passenger side, find the little tube, find where it connects up under the dash, pull it off and blow it out. Good as new.

Meade
  • Thanks abunch, that saved me at least 20 bucks of just going to the mechanic ^_^
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Sorry about the repeated post's still a newbie to this.But thanks-a-bunch:)
  • Is there a manual online for a 1998 Mazda protege ES (1.8)?

Thanks, Greg
  • I have a 98 ES and have had acceleration problems and replaced every ignition component. The O/D light will flash on and off and the car will accelerate and decelerate. If I pull over it stops. I also have idle problems, and a popping sound in the front end. No mechanic can fix these yet.
    That's for the '01. He's looking for a '98 manual. Depending on what he needs it for, the '01 manual may not be applicable.

Meade
    Yes, I know, Meade, but I figured it's a good place to start. An alternative is the printed Haynes/Chilton manuals.

p.s. how's Ophelia affecting your neck of the woods?
    Man, I wish she'd leave. We haven't gotten much rain here (maybe a half an inch total -- we're about 100 miles inland), but it's been very cloudy, very warm and VERY HUMID the past few days. You can't see out of any of the windows in our house -- they're like sweaty soda bottles -- and walking outside is like walking into a sauna. Gotta love that tropical air.

My younger brother lives down in Chesapeake -- about five miles from the ocean -- and he's been battered by on-again off-again rain, wind and just basically miserable weather the past few days. But the storm hasn't come very close to Virginia -- mainly the Outer Banks of NC. She's pretty small and weak for a hurricane/tropical storm too -- it's her slow pace that's made her a mess because of all the rain she's dumped on NC.

What I don't want to see is another Isabel like in September '03. That monster was twice the size of Ophelia and came grinding ashore as a Cat 3, and took a track right across Central VA -- in fact the remains of the eyewall came right over my neighborhood. We were lucky; we were the only house on our block that didn't have at least one tree fall on it that night. We lost power for more than a week, and for the first time in my memory we also lost telephone and water service. Richmond was a mess. Despite the lack of tree damage, I will never forget the sound of the wind as Isabel moved through that night. We had gusts upward of 80 mph that shook the house and roared outside -- it made you feel really, really small and insignificant in the world, lemme tell ya! I've lived here basically all my life, and Isabel was the first hurricane in my 40-year memory that was still a hurricane that far inland.

To give this post some semblance of Protege-ness, I will say that I moved both of our Mazdas (at that time my Protege ES and my wife's Protege5) out into the street, away from potential limb damage, etc., during Isabel. It was interesting looking out the front windows at them during the height of the storm. The rain was pelting them sideways, and my car looked just like a test car in a wind tunnel -- I could see the rain going up the hood and windshield and swooping over the roof and down behind the car. And I've never seen bugs cleaned off a bumper so well without any scrubbing! If we have another Isabel, remind me to soap the car up before the rain starts.

:P

Meade
    And I've never seen bugs cleaned off a bumper so well without any scrubbing! If we have another Isabel, remind me to soap the car up before the rain starts.

We can always count on you to find an angle. Good to hear you and yours are safe and sound.

p.s. believe it or not, some of that hot humid weather has crept all the way north into Canada; it's like an extended summer some days; that'll teach me to pack up the shorts too soon.
    We can always count on you to find an angle.

Thank you, my liege!

I was a newspaper reporter, you know. :shades:

Meade
  • I let my ex drive my car and damn if she didn't blow it up. Now the mechanic told her she would have to buy a new engine and they would put it in for 700 but i don't trust him. She said that it overheated then there was a loud pop and white smoke started coming out of the tailpipe. It tries to turn over but i don't know what is exactly wrong with it I was told it could be something to do with the head gasket by another person. it's a mazda 323 protege with the 5 spd manual transmission. :sick:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,578
    that sentence was supposed to read: "it overheated and then I immediately shut off the car"....

too bad.....so what's $700---labor to install used engine or $700 for head gasket repair? $700 isn't going to buy you a new or used engine.

• alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    "Now the mechanic told her she would have to buy a new engine and they would put it in for 700 but i don't trust him."

Did you consider getting a second opinion from other than the internet?
  • hey bob- i have a 2000 mazda protege and the exact same thing is happening to my car and I would really appreiciate if you could help me by letting me know what it was that fixed your car.... thanks so much- kendra
  • I own a 2000 Protege Lx with 56,000 KM.
    Just lately when I start my car i here a whistling sound and when I step on
    the gas i hear like a purring sound. Also there is some kinda smell. Just
    totally baffled.

pro2000
    A wild guess: check your belts.
  • Just the other day my battery died on me. Bought a new battery. The noise it still there. But I think the alternator is shot. When I rev the engine I hear the sound and smell something from the alternator. How can this be possible with only 56,000 kms on my car? I thought an :cry: :cry: alternator can last for like 7 years.
    hmmmmmm....