Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Volkswagen Jetta

13»

Comments

• Your comment about the Forester being the worse car you've experienced caught me by surprise. I currently drive an '04 XT Forester turbo and I have had not one single problem with it and it's at 55,000 miles. Of course, the gas mileage is another story.

That said, sorry about any problems you've had w/ yours.

I am personally looking at the Jetta as my next car b/c it's a lot of car for the money. I would invest in an ext. warranty if possible.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    My wifes Wolfsburg is 1 month old. We decided to take it on a trip from Nashville to Rochester New York. We returned last night, put on over 1800 miles. The Jetta performed flawlessly. Very quite, good pick-up, lots of room, XM radio worked great and the mileage was unbelievable.
    Going out I set the cruise for 72 and averaged 32.8 MPG. Coming back to Nashville, set the cruise for 70 and got 33.2 MPG. This is a great little car.
    If I wanted car payments I would buy either the Jetta or Passat.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    Yep, I think we got the one lemon Forester made -- a real dissapointment because we keep our vehicles for 12 to 15 years and always put in excess of 200K Miles on them. I wish we'd have leased it and dumped it. Leasing a Jetta SportWagen might be an idea, but that choice comes with a financial sacrifice too. Santa Fe, Mazda5 and Xterra are also on our manual transmission shop list.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,992
    A friend had an Xterra and said it really sucked gas. You might want to check that out.
  • ram215ram215 Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me where I can locate the oil filter on my 2008 Jetta 2.0T?

Ram215
    Yep, the Xterra won't be anywhere near the fuel economy leauge of the Jetta. The Xterra Off Road is worst, as it's rear end ratio is set up for low end power. The Xterra X and S grades, especially in 4x2 aren't super terrible. My '06 Frontier 6-Speed has the exact same powertrain as these Xterras and I get 23 to 24 MPG on the highway at conservative speeds. But yes I agree -- I think the Jetta is a far better choice for my wife.
    I'm uncertain, but perhaps it shares the same general location as the I-5. If so, you have to remove several fasteners to remove a large plastic shield under the engine. If the 2.0T is like the I-5, you replace only the paper filter element. It resides in a permanent (removable) metal casing with an oil drain to drain the oil within the casing before you remove it. The I-5's casing is equipped with a little toggle valve.

I'm not a Jetta owner (yet), but I saw something on this topic on a forum somewhere. It seemed pretty clear that you'd need to raise the front end on jack stands or ramps before beginning.
  • what is a fair price to pay for a 2008 SE at this time when 2009 are in already.
  • I'm considering purchasing this vehicle. I'm torn though—I own a 2000 Jetta 5-speed. At first I was really concerned with the oil consumption—1 quart per 2000 miles. However, as the engine ages it seems to have slowed a bit. The other problem is that nearly every interior piece of equipment has broke: cup holders, ash trays, glove box, console—you name it, it's broken. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Also, anyone willing to share what they paid for an 08 wolfsburg with an automatic?
  • How to change cabin air filter?
  • The 2008 Jetta basic 5 speed is a great zippy and good gas mileage car for the highway and city. It's my fifth VW. I now have 15K. Seats are a great improvement. Drivers display is fantastic for night driving. I have some minor problems. Mileage settings are a pain to activate or change. The sunglass holder lock will release and open. It' located next to the courtesy lights on the roof. I had to replace it once. Still releases. If you don't turn the headlights off, they will not automatically turn off i. e. battery loss. You can't jump start the car because of the electric fuel pump. The new rear driver side Continental tire side wall blew out. I replace both rears with Firestone.
  • mailitxmailitx Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone know, or have opinions on, getting an extended warranty through the dealership (mine has always been nice and does good work) - is it worth it? Are there any major issues for me down the road? I have just over 40K miles and about to get new tires... Is the 40k service worth it? Needed?

Does anyone with this model at higher miles have any advice for PMaint? Issues? Problems? Any input is greatly appreciated!
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    I would get the warranty. I did on our 2008. You just never know what may happen. We haven't had any issues, but I know that costs are high for repairs. The oil changes are high enough. I opted to have it. It is great peace of mind. It is more expensive, but worth it. We just got new tires too! Keep up with the regular maintenance and you'll be find. Then let the warranty kick in for other issues if they arise.
  • Thanks so much!
  • tigrone701tigrone701 Posts: 7
    edited May 2012
    HI All,

I am a delicate driver of a 2008 VW Jetta. After just 46,000 miles, my rear brakes are out
    (so says my VW dealer). The pads have 0.3 mm on them.
    He gave me a quote for both the brake pads + rotors. ( whoopping 370 $).
    My VW does street parking.

Is it a must to change both the brake pads + Rotor or only the pads will do.

The pads are working fine and the car is braking fine as of now.

Any help will be highly appreciated !!
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    If rotors are still in-spec, there is no technical reason to replace the rotors when the pads are renewed. (As long as the pad 'technology' is not changing... like Metallac -to- Ceramic...in these cases, the rotors should be lightly sanded to prepare the metal surface for the new pads)

A dealer has other goals in mind. These may include:
    *) Make more $$
    *) In some cases, the person who *sold* you on the extra stuff gets a kickback too
    *) They want to make CERTAIN your vehicle will not come back in for the same thing anytime soon.
    Thanks bpeebles for your prompt reply.

I just took it to another VW dealer to do a cross check.
    Just found out that the rear brakes are still 4/12 mm thick and the front ones are 6/12 mm after my 46 K on the Jetta. Should be good for another 5K miles.

The other dealer even measured my tires and gave me a good figure on that.
    Pretty honest I would say.

This just shows that VW Jetta owners have to be very careful from the shark type dealers providing VW Service. And VW is going to loose their market share for the reputation these dealers are creating for VW.

Honda and Toyota takes care of this.
    Hi All,

I have a Jetta 2008 and the 4 year 50,000 miles warranty is out.
    How do you get an extended warranty on this car.

I am beginning to realize that any repair work on this car is going to be super expensive and the
    VW service dealers are waiting there to induce that fear in you.
    How do you get an extended warranty on this car and does it really help to have an extended warranty on this car :) !

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    I have always believed that an "Extended warantee" is like "Insurance"... they are both gambling that something will go wrong.

I prefer to keep my money in the bank and pay for repairs if they are needed... and KEEP my money if not needed.

Do not forget that the companies selling "Extended warantee" are in business to make money. They are making that money off of your fear that your car will break.

I like that my vehicles are paid for and I am banking the $$ I used to pay the bank for them. This will easily pay for any repairs or make for a great down-payment on my next car.
13»